Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 17, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #42,886 of 48,561
The G6 will have the volume, but the K702 absolutely deserves a stronger amplifier.

Sep 17, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #42,887 of 48,561
Sep 17, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #42,889 of 48,561
I dunno about the new SXFI amp's power capabilities. That'd be my only concern. That and whether it can take external sources (optical input). I forgot if it did. If it does, and has more power than the G6.... I'd want one myself. I should contact Creative.

Sep 17, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #42,890 of 48,561
Does this replace the need for the G6 and i can use my amp/dac that i am currently using
thanks
If the Creative Labs $30 software, running on a Realtek DSP, as good as the Creative Labs G6, for headphone surround sound........not something I'm qualified to answer.
If your motherboard's on-board audio hardware, is optically connected to the external DAC and your using the Creative $30 software, then in general your getting something like the Creative Labs G6 functionality.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #42,891 of 48,561
sorry one more question would the G6 still be advised over the newer sxfi amp. Is SXFI newer technology and the way creative will be heading in the futur

thanks

Assuming you perform a proper head map with its software, and have a headphone on their list (or something that sounds like a headphone on their list), Super X-Fi virtual surround sounds superior to the G6 and X7 (which use "SBX Pro" VSS, not "Super X-Fi" VSS, thank you Creative for having multiple confusing virtual surround technologies...). But it is only useful on PC, its VSS is not functional on any console. The little tiny Super X-Fi dongle I have has crazy amounts of juice that can get even my HD800S to ear splitting volumes, without even getting close to max volume, so I would be surprised if their upcoming amp is any less powerful. Right now I am using it with the Massdrop HiFiman XX and at around 28 on the windows volume dial it is plenty of volume for me.

As for the $30 Creative SBX Pro suite vs. the G6.... if it is using SBX Pro, it is basically the same software as the G6 and you can use whatever amp you have laying around(just PC only). It confusingly has "X-Fi" in the title but I don't think it is using "Super" X-Fi virtual surround....but I wouldn't be positive until I bought it. Despite "Super X-Fi" being (to my ears) better than SBX Pro, SBX Pro is still very good though and one of the best generic (i.e. non custom-measurement) VSS options.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #42,892 of 48,561
Assuming you perform a proper head map with its software, and have a headphone on their list (or something that sounds like a headphone on their list), Super X-Fi virtual surround sounds superior to the G6 and X7 (which use "SBX Pro" VSS, not "Super X-Fi" VSS, thank you Creative for having multiple confusing virtual surround technologies...). But it is only useful on PC, its VSS is not functional on any console. The little tiny Super X-Fi dongle I have has crazy amounts of juice that can get even my HD800S to ear splitting volumes, without even getting close to max volume, so I would be surprised if their upcoming amp is any less powerful. Right now I am using it with the Massdrop HiFiman XX and at around 28 on the windows volume dial it is plenty of volume for me.

As for the $30 Creative SBX Pro suite vs. the G6.... if it is using SBX Pro, it is basically the same software as the G6 and you can use whatever amp you have laying around(just PC only). It confusingly has "X-Fi" in the title but I don't think it is using "Super" X-Fi virtual surround....but I wouldn't be positive until I bought it. Despite "Super X-Fi" being (to my ears) better than SBX Pro, SBX Pro is still very good though and one of the best generic (i.e. non custom-measurement) VSS options.

A new amp with Super X-Fi? i didn't found any information about this, where did you find this

Sep 17, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #42,894 of 48,561
creativex3.jpg

There's a new pc desktop amp that has SXFI. It's not out yet.

edit: Creative X3, potentially

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #42,896 of 48,561
Last edited:
Sep 17, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #42,897 of 48,561
Good day! I just recently pulled the trigger on the G6 and happy with it! Got a question tho. Is it okay to hear an audible click from the unit itself when im switching from headphone to speaker mode and vice versa?

Sep 17, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #42,899 of 48,561
Good day! I just recently pulled the trigger on the G6 and happy with it! Got a question tho. Is it okay to hear an audible click from the unit itself when im switching from headphone to speaker mode and vice versa?

Definitely normal.

Sep 19, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #42,900 of 48,561
If anyone's interested, I am reporting on DTS:X for Headphones that is currently only available on the insider ring builds. Being a long time user of Dolby Headphone DH2 mode for gaming, I was curious what these new Spatial Sound APIs can offer today. I've tried all of them.

Dolby Atmos for headphones has way too much muffling all-around and some exaggerated sound cues for odd things that just don't make any sense, destroys that airy feeling Dolby Headphone had in comparison. Windows Sonic was just as bad but does messy things in a different way, sounds more like hearing stuff in a cave, hard to pin point whats going wrong with it. Dolby Atmos though does sound suitable for movies with 7.1 TrueHD tracks and native Dolby Atmos content but for gaming it just doesn't sound right. The sound-stage in Atmos is also way too lacking in depth, there is no way to tweak it like we could in Dolby headphone with the 3 DH modes.

Now DTS: X for headphones, immediately the sound-stage was spacious and ever more so pleasingly with the "Spacious" preset. The sound had an airy feel to it although not quite Dolby headphone DH2 levels, some things felt even better with depth perception but may sound to some as exaggerated if they have been used to DH2 mode on Dolby for so long. However one glaring problem I felt, there is some sort of imaginary bounding area towards the center of the view-port where sound tends to get muffled especially noticed in 3rd person mode. This sounds more like DH1 of Dolby Headphone but for just that one zone in the center which is very odd because everything outside of that zone sounds very airy and natural. If that's fixed or changed by way of settings for the user, DTS:X might be the ticket to abandoning internal and USB sound cards from the gamer center OEMs for good. Get some decent audiophile grade dac/amp combo and DTS:S X apply that processing via USB or optical out and you have a great setup that is isolated from the noisy environment of he PC. I ditched the Xonar U3 for a Xonar Essence STX I got for cheap because I recently got an HD 700, coming up from my trusty HD 598. On both headphones DTS: X performed better, while Dolby Headphone DH2 mode being still better overall, at least to my ears.

One thing to note, prior to Windows update 1903, choosing any of the spatial sound engines allowed us to turn on Virtual 7.1 surround in the same menu to get the best results but now that option has been removed by Microsoft, the assumption is that it is now always enabled by default but there is no confirmation of this from Microsoft. People assumed this because some DSP apps like Nahimic report that Nahimic Surround can't be enabled because Spatial Sound virtual 7.1 surround has been enabled and you can't disable it like you could prior to 1903. I tried forcing 8 channels on my Xonar STX but it immediately defaults to 2 channel as long as any of the Spatial Sound modes were enabled, so not entirely sure how that missing 7.1 virtual surround option is now handled internally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back