Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 21, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #42,196 of 48,561
im a noob on this so please bear with me
so i purchased the G6 along with my logitech z906, i was hoping to send VSS from g6's optical out to z906's optical in but that doesn't seem to work, because z906 will apply the 3d effect on the signal to activate all speakers, and it doesn't seem like there's anyway to turn off this 3d surround effect on the z906, it just activates automatically, so i'm back to using analog output from my pc's onboard sound, and just wondering if there's any way to get G6 to output 5.1 surround to speakers?
when you say DD is passed to the optical out, you are talking about PC content that's already in DD? because i thought you would need DDL for that

Mar 21, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #42,197 of 48,561
im a noob on this so please bear with me
so i purchased the G6 along with my logitech z906, i was hoping to send VSS from g6's optical out to z906's optical in but that doesn't seem to work, because z906 will apply the 3d effect on the signal to activate all speakers, and it doesn't seem like there's anyway to turn off this 3d surround effect on the z906, it just activates automatically, so i'm back to using analog output from my pc's onboard sound, and just wondering if there's any way to get G6 to output 5.1 surround to speakers?
when you say DD is passed to the optical out, you are talking about PC content that's already in DD? because i thought you would need DDL for that

I MAY BE wrong, though I'm gonna assume I'm correct based on my testing a few days ago:

Forst and foremost, update the drivers and software of the G6 to the latest versions which came out yesterday. This MAY have actually enabled multi-channel out through the spdif. It may have happened before, but do it to be safe.

If you wanna pass JUST 5.1/7.1 so that your external device reads the signal as multi channel audio (no processing), make sure you have the G6 software under setup on Spdif direct, and also, make sure bit and sampling rate is set to at the most 24bit/48khz. (this is changed within the windows audio panel itself i.e. clicking on the speaker icon on the taskbar and going into those properties for the G6.)

The G6 is capable of 32 bit/and WELL ABOVE 48khz, but if you want multi channel audio, you must NOT go higher than 48khz, as that is the limit for 5 to 7 speakers. This is what you want if you just want your headset to do its OWN virtual surround. This is how I'm getting Dolby Headphone to work properly on my Mixamp 5.8 that is attached to the G6.

I'll try and re-test in the morning and re-edit this to be more correct, as I'm going off memory at the moment.

I see the Z906 is a speaker system, so you want the G6 to be in spdif direct mode. You do NOT want the G6's SBX VSS to be enabled on the G6 for the Z906. You just need it to send a straight 5.1/7.1 signal. Again, go to Windows audio panel, and set the bit depth/sampling rate to 24bit /48khz.

Please let me know how it turns out.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #42,198 of 48,561
I MAY BE wrong, though I'm gonna assume I'm correct based on my testing a few days ago:

Forst and foremost, update the drivers and software of the G6 to the latest versions which came out yesterday. This MAY have actually enabled multi-channel out through the spdif. It may have happened before, but do it to be safe.

If you wanna pass JUST 5.1/7.1 so that your external device reads the signal as multi channel audio (no processing), make sure you have the G6 software under setup on Spdif direct, and also, make sure bit and sampling rate is set to at the most 24bit/48khz. (this is changed within the windows audio panel itself i.e. clicking on the speaker icon on the taskbar and going into those properties for the G6.)

The G6 is capable of 32 bit/and WELL ABOVE 48khz, but if you want multi channel audio, you must NOT go higher than 48khz, as that is the limit for 5 to 7 speakers. This is what you want if you just want your headset to do its OWN virtual surround. This is how I'm getting Dolby Headphone to work properly on my Mixamp 5.8 that is attached to the G6.

I'll try and re-test in the morning and re-edit this to be more correct, as I'm going off memory at the moment.

I see the Z906 is a speaker system, so you want the G6 to be in spdif direct mode. You do NOT want the G6's SBX VSS to be enabled on the G6 for the Z906. You just need it to send a straight 5.1/7.1 signal. Again, go to Windows audio panel, and set the bit depth/sampling rate to 24bit /48khz.

Please let me know how it turns out.

thanks for the quick feedback i will try at home asap
but one question, i thought in order to send 5.1/7.1 through spdif the signal needs to be encoded? since spdif does not have enough bandwidth to carry multi channel audio
under this assumption, if i use the optical out from G6 to my Z906, wouldn't Z906 simply see the signal as stereo? thanks again

Mar 22, 2019 at 1:18 AM Post #42,199 of 48,561
What makes you think spdif doesn't have the bandwidth for multi channel audio? Hahaha. Long before hdmi, spdif was the main way to get multi channel audio. It can't do UNCOMPRESSED HD multi channel audio.

Spdif/optical interfaces have done Dolby Digital and DTS for a very long time.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 1:27 AM Post #42,201 of 48,561
To add, spdif supporting and not supporting multi channel is device specific. There are some devices and thingst like tvs that only do stereo through the spdif out. That may be where the confusion lies. Lots of audiophile gear only do stereo because those devices weren't built with home theater setups in mind. Just stereo or headphones.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #42,203 of 48,561
Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #42,204 of 48,561
What makes you think spdif doesn't have the bandwidth for multi channel audio? Hahaha. Long before hdmi, spdif was the main way to get multi channel audio. It can't do UNCOMPRESSED HD multi channel audio.

Spdif/optical interfaces have done Dolby Digital and DTS for a very long time.

yes that was what i meant, so G6 already compresses the multi channel stream in its optical out? but i thought you would need DDL or DTS connect for that?
sorry but i'm just very confused, since my knowledge on surround technology is very basic

Mar 22, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #42,205 of 48,561
yes that was what i meant, so G6 already compresses the multi channel stream in its optical out? but i thought you would need DDL or DTS connect for that?
sorry but i'm just very confused, since my knowledge on surround technology is very basic

It's ok. Well, the G6 does have Dolby decoding, since it needs to read Dolby Digital coming from consoles like the PS4/Xbox to do SBX through the spdif input.

Where I'm personally not 100% on is whether it takes a basic multi-channel source like a PC and encode that into Dolby Digital, so that the G6 can then read it and transform into SBX as well as send a Dolby signal to its spdif out. I say this because there's no other way the Mixamp 5.8 could get Dolby Digital from my PC. Since my Mixamp is attached to the G6, it obviously means I'm getting DD from the G6.

The Mixamp ABSOLUTELY does not read basic multi channel and convert that into Dolby Headphone. It NEEDS Dolby Digital. If you give it basic 5.1, it won't do proper Dolby Headphone.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 1:46 AM Post #42,206 of 48,561
The only way to be certain my assumption is true is if someone else has a G6, sets it to 5 or 7 speakers in the software and spdif direct and attached a device that has a Dolby Digital light confirmation.

I don't have one at the moment.

Mar 22, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #42,207 of 48,561
It's ok. Well, the G6 does have Dolby decoding, since it needs to read Dolby Digital coming from consoles like the PS4/Xbox to do SBX through the spdif input.

Where I'm personally not 100% on is whether it takes a basic multi-channel source like a PC and encode that into Dolby Digital, so that the G6 can then read it and transform into SBX as well as send a Dolby signal to its spdif out. I say this because there's no other way the Mixamp 5.8 could get Dolby Digital from my PC. Since my Mixamp is attached to the G6, it obviously means I'm getting DD from the G6.

The Mixamp ABSOLUTELY does not read basic multi channel and convert that into Dolby Headphone. It NEEDS Dolby Digital. If you give it basic 5.1, it won't do proper Dolby Headphone.

ahh i see, then i will give it more tests, if it does pass through an encoded dolby digital signal then the dolby digital decode light on my z906 should turn on
i guess maybe G6 did not pay for the DDL and DTS connect license so they don't advertise it?
another question is i saw some people mentioning when using DDL or DTS connect encoding, there will be a slight latency especially in games, is this claim true? would i be better off just using analog out from my onboard sound card to my 5.1 setup? thanks sir

Mar 22, 2019 at 1:48 AM Post #42,208 of 48,561
If there is latency, it's not noticeable. Otherwise, that'd be a huge problem. At least it ain't a problem for me.

Mar 22, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #42,209 of 48,561
If there is latency, it's not noticeable. Otherwise, that'd be a huge problem. At least it ain't a problem for me.
hello sir, so i did everything you asked to try to get it working but unfortunately i cannot get the DD light confirmation
i updated the firmware and connect software to the latest, i changed the bit and sampling to 24/48, i switched to spdif direct, and did all sorts of combinations between 5.1/7.1, sbx on/off, and apply effects to optical out on/off. at first i thought it might be my z906 not recognizing the DD, so i used a DSS2 to test and still nothing, i thought maybe my DSS2 is broke so i connected it to my ps4 and DD light turned on right away
please let me know what else i should try, thanks

Mar 22, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #42,210 of 48,561
So I tried to pipe the G6's own output from its optical out to its optical in, and the G6 lights for Dolby isn't lighting up.

So now I'm all sorts of confused. I have operated under the notion that Mixanps didn't like anything but Dolby Digital or DD Pro Logic II in order to get proper virtual surround. But I'm here playing Division 2 with the G6 piping audio (SBX OFF) to the Mixamp, and turning on the DH button, and sure as rain, the virtual surround cues are spot as expected of a proper DH implementation.

So I don't know what to think.

I can't find my Xonar U3 to do Dolby Headphone through it and compare, so I just don't know...

WHAT signal is my Mixamp interpreting that is allowing it to sound correct?

I'm gonna have to try another game...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back