Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 14, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #42,151 of 48,561
Right well in this instance would it be recommended to use Dolby Digital or stereo with SBX? Also if you're using Dolby would it be recommend to use SBX?

This isn't so much a recommendation as it is a REQUIREMENT. virtual surround devices REQUIRE Dolby Digital in the console space and a 5 to 7 speaker configuration in the Windows panel on PC. If you're feeding SBX a stereo signal, you're 100% doing it wrong which is why it would sound absolutely incorrect.

No DTS, no PCM. It 100% must be Dolby Digital when not using a PC.

On PC, windows MUST be set to 5 speakers or 7 speakers.

2dbjj8n.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #42,152 of 48,561
That's not hrtf, that's environmental effects. So glass doesn't muffle the sound because there is line of sight to the player, but the other walls do. Imo, this isn't even good to have, since it just reduces how much the audio can help you, and increases cpu usage.

not hrtf but they modify spectral content similarly to how a hrtf does it.
did you notice that when the player turn his back to the helicopter all highs are attenuated like most hrtfs do?
apply that twice and... ugh.

Mar 14, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #42,153 of 48,561
not hrtf but they modify spectral content similarly to how a hrtf does it.
did you notice that when the player turn his back to the helicopter all highs are attenuated like most hrtfs do?
apply that twice and... ugh.

When we talk about hrtf and binaural audio, we are talking about how each ear hears things differently due to it's different position on the head. It's analogous to vision in vr headsets and 3d movies, where each eye gets a different perspective to create a 3d effect.

In this case, it is just a coincidence that the sound changed when he turned. They were demonstrating how the environment can affect the sound. So when the sound is behind walls, it gets muffled.

If the game actually had hrtf, it would also interfere with the natural hrtf you get from speakers. That's why there always is some warning to use headphones, or the game has an option you can toggle on/off, when there is hrtf available in game.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #42,154 of 48,561
Please help me.

Now I have got tritton 720 (using it on ps4 with my headphones meze 99 classics). I am Using it only because need amp my headphones and to get 7.1 virtual surround sound.

Now I can buy creative G6 for a good price. It has a better amp power and better (?) Virtual surround sound.

So , does creative g6 virtual surround will be really better than my tritton 720 reciever? Does I need to change it?
I will use it only on ps4 , for games and movies.
Please help

Mar 14, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #42,155 of 48,561
Guys, can you answer me these
:

Once you own the Atmos license on Xbox, it works with all games that are multi-channel (i.e. not indies that only have stereo mixes), right? I'm asking because I kinda wanna take the XB1S from the living room for a little bit of testing of Atmos, even though my XBL account only has Gears 4 and BF1. I know Gears 4 has Atmos, and BF1 would just mix it to 7.1 virtual surround.

I just need to set the XB1 to Atmos in some sound setting and that's it? I ask because I think I have only played an XB1 for a DAY to check that it was functional with my stepfather's new TV. Other than that, it hardly ever gets used other than for blu-rays.

Please help me.

Now I have got tritton 720 (using it on ps4 with my headphones meze 99 classics). I am Using it only because need amp my headphones and to get 7.1 virtual surround sound.

Now I can buy creative G6 for a good price. It has a better amp power and better (?) Virtual surround sound.

So , does creative g6 virtual surround will be really better than my tritton 720 reciever? Does I need to change it?
I will use it only on ps4 , for games and movies.
Please help

Well, the Tritton Ax720 has Dolby Headphone vs the G6's SBX.

There are pros and cons to both.

AX720:
The Ax720's box has some hiss and noise (last I checked).

Dolby Headphone IMO has better virtual surround in terms of sense of immersion and positional accuracy, HOWEVER, it has some reverb that some people will not like.

If you're used to the AX720 surround, the SBX surround won't be better.

G6:
Much cleaner, quieter, and more powerful internal amp

SBX has much less reverb than Dolby Headphone

Virtual surround on SBX isn't as accurate as Dolby headphone. Still very good, but not AS good, personally

G6 can send SBX virtual surround to another, better dac or amp.

G6 NEEDS a computer in hand to change settings, so I absolutely recommend you have a PC on hand if you plan on getting the G6. I do NOT recommend the G6 if you don't have a PC to change settings. By needing a PC, I mean being able to download software for Windows to be able to adjust G6 settings, as well as download firmware and driver updates for the G6.

If you only plan on using basic headsets and easy to drive headphones, I'd personally just stick with the AX720.

If you are planning an upgrade path where you see yourself buying a good dac and amp in the future, I'd get the G6. Also, if you play on PC ever, you'll need the USB functionality, which the AX720 I don't think has.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #42,156 of 48,561
Is there any talk of a new Soundblaster X7 model releasing anytime soon? The X7 is 4.5years old, wondering if there's any better/more recent alternatives? Otherwise also considering the SMSL AD18, as I need a speaker+hp amp and DAC. Only use for PC gaming (mainly PUBG) and music. Need to power some small desktop speakers (Audioengine A2's converted to passive). I use both macOS and Windows. Currently using HD598 headphones.

Mar 17, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #42,157 of 48,561
Got a Q for you all.

I'm in the long process of building a retro PC and for the moment I just use GOG on Windows 7.
I'd like to use EAX 1-5/HD on Win7, do I need a EAX compatible card to use Alchemy or just a Creative card?
If just a creative card, I can just look out for a 2nd hand X7, if not I'm stuck on finding a motherboard with a PCI slot ( I own a Auzentech Prelude, not installed ).

Thank you.

Mar 17, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #42,158 of 48,561
buy a used X-Fi Titanium

Mar 17, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #42,160 of 48,561
proper EAX, OpenAL in hardware is not possible with the X7, SBZ. It's just not the same with the wrapper. If you want all the retro goodies then go fully retro. Mirror's Edge, Bioshock etc don't sound the same. I owned a X-Fi Titanium simply for these games.

Since the X-Fi Titanium can output the headphone part to the optical out you could opt for a Modi stack and have some of that juice and even beyond that.

Mar 17, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #42,161 of 48,561
proper EAX, OpenAL in hardware is not possible with the X7, SBZ. It's just not the same with the wrapper. If you want all the retro goodies then go fully retro. Mirror's Edge, Bioshock etc don't sound the same. I owned a X-Fi Titanium simply for these games.

Since the X-Fi Titanium can output the headphone part to the optical out you could opt for a Modi stack and have some of that juice and even beyond that.

Awesome! Just the explanation I like to hear. Thank you muchos!
I am linking up a Modi, good thinking :wink:.

Mar 17, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #42,162 of 48,561
Does some one watching movies and series with virtual surround? (Dolby headphones or SBX)
Or it's just good fit only with games?

Because today I am watching movie on ps4+tritton 720(Dolby headphones) on my desktop speakers connected to tritton and when I turn on surround sound its come too different from original sound.

Does anyone using virtual surround sound in movies? An does anyone using it on speakers, or this VSS only for headphones?

Thanks

Mar 17, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #42,163 of 48,561
Guys, can you answer me these
:

Once you own the Atmos license on Xbox, it works with all games that are multi-channel (i.e. not indies that only have stereo mixes), right? I'm asking because I kinda wanna take the XB1S from the living room for a little bit of testing of Atmos, even though my XBL account only has Gears 4 and BF1. I know Gears 4 has Atmos, and BF1 would just mix it to 7.1 virtual surround.

I just need to set the XB1 to Atmos in some sound setting and that's it? I ask because I think I have only played an XB1 for a DAY to check that it was functional with my stepfather's new TV. Other than that, it hardly ever gets used other than for blu-rays.

Well, the Tritton Ax720 has Dolby Headphone vs the G6's SBX.

There are pros and cons to both.

AX720:
The Ax720's box has some hiss and noise (last I checked).

Dolby Headphone IMO has better virtual surround in terms of sense of immersion and positional accuracy, HOWEVER, it has some reverb that some people will not like.

If you're used to the AX720 surround, the SBX surround won't be better.

G6:
Much cleaner, quieter, and more powerful internal amp

SBX has much less reverb than Dolby Headphone

Virtual surround on SBX isn't as accurate as Dolby headphone. Still very good, but not AS good, personally

G6 can send SBX virtual surround to another, better dac or amp.

G6 NEEDS a computer in hand to change settings, so I absolutely recommend you have a PC on hand if you plan on getting the G6. I do NOT recommend the G6 if you don't have a PC to change settings. By needing a PC, I mean being able to download software for Windows to be able to adjust G6 settings, as well as download firmware and driver updates for the G6.

If you only plan on using basic headsets and easy to drive headphones, I'd personally just stick with the AX720.

If you are planning an upgrade path where you see yourself buying a good dac and amp in the future, I'd get the G6. Also, if you play on PC ever, you'll need the USB functionality, which the AX720 I don't think has.
But all in all does creative g6 giving a better quality of sound in games vs tritton 720 decoder?
Again - my headphones Meze 99 classics, quiet good headphones with good soundstage (for closed back headphones)

P.s. does anyone using IfI Xdsd for ps4? It has option button called 3D sound. Xdsd give very good quality in terms of music listening . Interesting what about ps4

Mar 17, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #42,164 of 48,561
Does some one watching movies and series with virtual surround? (Dolby headphones or SBX)
Or it's just good fit only with games?

Because today I am watching movie on ps4+tritton 720(Dolby headphones) on my desktop speakers connected to tritton and when I turn on surround sound its come too different from original sound.

Does anyone using virtual surround sound in movies? An does anyone using it on speakers, or this VSS only for headphones?

Thanks

Only for headphones. This is because vss requires the ability to change sound in each ear independently. When you use speakers, you still hear some of the right speaker in the left ear, and the left speaker in the right ear.

This is also why games with vss have it as optional - just in case people want to use speakers.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #42,165 of 48,561
Only for headphones. This is because vss requires the ability to change sound in each ear independently. When you use speakers, you still hear some of the right speaker in the left ear, and the left speaker in the right ear.

This is also why games with vss have it as optional - just in case people want to use speakers.
Thanks .only for headphones, okay!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back