Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 22, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #41,207 of 48,562
I picked up the G6 this week. This will be my first Creative Device since I sold my X7 about 18 months ago.

It's a very quirky piece of kit. No matter what I do I can't get the device to accept an optical signal, neither from the PS4 or my Samsung TV. The USB input is plug and play, and works great. It seems to only be 2.0, as has been discussed.

Am I missing some configuration in the app?

If it's like the E5, you need to open the app and configure that you're using the line in as SPDIF in.

Sep 23, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #41,208 of 48,562
I have $300 and want to buy headphones for fun immersive PS4 console gaming. (I dont play FSP online but will play campaign mode so would still be nice to have some fun wizzing bullet sounds while playing) and for listening to rock music ( Skillet, Shinedown, old school metallica, ect..) I have a portable fio e12 amp and an astro mix amp for gaming. I perfer open back but am open to closed back.

I was looking at Phillips Fidelio x2s but just wonder if something else in that price range may be better for the price.I like a nice explosion for games but also would like to be able to hear the finer details and seperation of instruments with music. Any suggestions?

Sep 23, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #41,209 of 48,562
I have $300 and want to buy headphones for fun immersive PS4 console gaming. (I dont play FSP online but will play campaign mode so would still be nice to have some fun wizzing bullet sounds while playing) and for listening to rock music ( Skillet, Shinedown, old school metallica, ect..) I have a portable fio e12 amp and an astro mix amp for gaming. I perfer open back but am open to closed back.

I was looking at Phillips Fidelio x2s but just wonder if something else in that price range may be better for the price.I like a nice explosion for games but also would like to be able to hear the finer details and seperation of instruments with music. Any suggestions?

All depends if you are planning to run your headphones directly from the controller or if you have an external sound card such as mixamp, sound blaster, dac/ amp etc.

Sep 23, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #41,212 of 48,562
Haha no worries. We all do it once in a while lol. Yea i have the mixamp and the fio e12 amp. Also have the lgg7 phone that has a pretty sweet dac in it too. Ive had my heart set on the X2s but then started watching stuff on HE 400s and Planar headphones.

I just didn't want to limit myself to the one I think I want if others with way more knowledge than me can help stop me from making an expensive mistake. Ha. Ive had the 598s and didnt feel the bass was loud or strong enough for me. Not that I want to have my head vibrate, but would like as nice of a mix of good bass, highs and mids for music and something fun for casual immersion gaming for the $300 price tag if that makes sense? Also the DT990 were too bright for me if that helps.

Sep 23, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #41,215 of 48,562
So is this going to be the $150 dongle that’s discussed elsewhere?
I hope so!

Edit: you can buy it now if you live in Singapore. Won't be available internationally until November.

https://www.sxfi.com/tech/

https://www.sxfi.com/amp/

More on the amp, specifically. No console support as it's only USB C. Sort of suspected that given it was a little tiny dongle. (It lists PS4 but as we know PS4 is stereo only via USB.) Up to 7.1 on PC.

No channels over 8 and no Dolby decoding means this is not a Smyth Realiser killer but that was probably a pipedream anyway. PCM multi channel sort of limits this device's usefulness even just for media. Don't almost all streaming services use some sort of Dolby or DTS encoding for surround?

Creative always seems to limit their products in head scratching ways. We need an X7 or G6 type product with this new chip in it...

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #41,216 of 48,562
I have $300 and want to buy headphones for fun immersive PS4 console gaming. (I don't play FSP online but will play campaign mode so would still be nice to have some fun wizzing bullet sounds while playing) and for listening to rock music ( Skillet, Shinedown, old school metallica, ect..) I have a portable FiiO E12 amp and an Astro Mix amp for gaming. I prefer open back but am open to closed back.

I was looking at Phillips Fidelio x2s but just wonder if something else in that price range may be better for the price.I like a nice explosion for games but also would like to be able to hear the finer details and separation of instruments with music. Any suggestions?

Get in on the Massdrop (Sennheiser HD58X) headphones drop (when active).
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones

Massdrop (Fostex T-X0) offer great clarity.
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-fostex-t-x0-planar-magnetic-headphones

Sep 23, 2018 at 11:15 PM Post #41,217 of 48,562
PCM multi channel sort of limits this device's usefulness even just for media. Don't almost all streaming services use some sort of Dolby or DTS encoding for surround?
The source will decode both Dolby/DTS HD bitstreams for you and send that already decoded 7.1 surround sound as multi channel pcm to a device the supports it.

However the source can’t decode something like dolby atmos. To enable dolby atmos the device has to decode a Dolby bitstream.

Sep 23, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #41,218 of 48,562
The source will decode both Dolby/DTS HD bitstreams for you and send that already decoded 7.1 surround sound as multi channel pcm to a device the supports it.

However the source can’t decode something like dolby atmos. To enable dolby atmos the device has to decode a Dolby bitstream.
Makes sense, thanks.

Still a cool little device if the ear/face personalization actually works. I'd love to have sophisticated headphone surround become mainstream.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #41,219 of 48,562
Looking for a recommendation on a pair of gaming headphones, my options are the HD 6XX, HE-4XX, K7XX, or HD 58X, all from Massdrop.

Primarily looking for something that can be used competitively and focused on hearing/positioning enemies and distancing gunshots. Games mainly played are PUBG, Halo, CoD, GoW but also some single player games. Looking for a bit of bass also to "feel" explosions and things of that nature.

If anybody has tried the ones above and can give some tips on which one is better I'd definitely appreciate it. I've heard that the HE-4XX is actually really good for competitive gaming but just wanted to get opinions from other people.

Sep 24, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #41,220 of 48,562
My pick would be the K7XX from all of those. Assuming you have at least some decent amplification.

You can never go wrong with the K7XX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back