Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 29, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #40,876 of 48,560
Ok, SO, if you tether the USB to the PS4. YOU WILL NOT GET SURROUND.

BUT, if you tether to literally ANYTHING else, SBX WILL FUNCTION CORRECTLY.

So chat OR vss?
Not both?

or,

could USB audio be overriding the TOSlink? (thus no VSS)

Can you try and select audio out from the PS4 to be optical? (while the usb is plugged into the PS4?

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #40,877 of 48,560
HOLY COW GUYS, FALSE ALARM!

Ok, so here is where I made the mistake.

Ok, SO, if you tether the USB to the PS4. YOU WILL NOT GET SURROUND.

BUT, if you tether to literally ANYTHING else, SBX WILL FUNCTION CORRECTLY. SO FAR. I'm not COMPLETELY convinced this is always the case. There may be a way in the software to allow for both. I dunno.

My mistake was using the PC usb ports and thinking it had to read from that I WAS WRONG.

I have since just used my TVs, and a wall usb plug. Surround works perfectly!

So yes, YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE TETHERED TO A PC FOR SURROUND.

I'm truly sorry. I'm ashamed to not have tried such a simple thing as using a neutral power source that wasn't sending data.

So for single player that's fine - for multiplayer with voice chat, you lose surround capabilities?

Aug 29, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #40,878 of 48,560
In my defense, I never use the TV usb port, nor do I have any neutral power source close to the setup. I had to stretch a cable from another area just to power the G6 independently from the PC and PS4 which have readily available usb ports, but both send data. :/

This is why I messed up into thinking the PC had to be on: it was either I connect the G6 to the PS4, which atm doesn't do virtual surround this way, or connect to the PC which fooled me into thinking it was reading from its drivers to engage proper sbx.

So, again, sorry guys.

Aug 29, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #40,879 of 48,560
So chat OR vss?
Not both?

or,

could USB audio be overriding the TOSlink? (thus no VSS)

Can you try and select audio out from the PS4 to be optical? (while the usb is plugged into the PS4?

This. I believe G6 is taking the audio from the USB signal, hence why you aren't getting proper SBX. It overrides and doesn't use the Dolby signal from the toslink out.

I tried forcing digital out - dolby but it looks like the G6 is forced to use the USB. At least right now.

I'm gonna check the software on pc and see if I can do anything to turn that off or something.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #40,880 of 48,560
How about connecting both to PS4 and playing with settings? Just to enable the chat with surround.

-Primary output port to ‘Digital Out’ (Optical), Dolby Digital 5.1ch,’ under Audio Format, ‘Bitstream’ (Dolby). etc.

– ‘Audio Devices’ and ‘Output to Headphones’ --> ‘All Chat.’

Aug 29, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #40,881 of 48,560
BINGO! Set the G6 on ps4 settings to set JUST chat audio. Boom. Surround still works.

Guys, WE HAVE A GO!

G6 is primed for buying!

Again though, make sure that you at least have a computer somewhere to initially set all your settings like sending sbx to other devices via analog/spdif out, and set surround to max.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #40,883 of 48,560
Lmao I KNEW something had to be off for the G6 to have so many weird quirks that made no logical sense.

In the end, it was my own idiocy. Gah.

That's what happens when you're not 1000% thorough with all available options.

Aug 29, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #40,884 of 48,560
I TAKE EVERYTHING BACK, CREATIVE

I LOVE YOU CREATIVE

Aug 29, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #40,885 of 48,560
It's entirely my fault. I KNEW I probably should've waited until after my vacation to check everything, but I know you guys were excited and wanted to know things about it, hence why I decided to just connect it and give some quick (if unthorough) impressions.

Thankfully, you guys caught my mistakes early.

It doesn't help that I have very little experience with the chat functions on the PS4. Back when I chatted regularly, I would just connect a headset directly to the controller. These settings are actually pretty new to me.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #40,886 of 48,560
It is a bit odd that there is no PS4 settings to be found in the manual (I did not find), but I guess they are the same settings than with MixAmp

Ps. Thank you for trying. Now I don't have to cancel the preorder :L3000:

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #40,887 of 48,560
Well, I would rather blame creative..

1. Their own employees do not know what they are talking about as they claimed with certainty that to get full VSS you need a PC.
2. There are contradicting info on their own website, in the listed features as well as in the FAQ.
3. If it does work without a PC there are still a few hoops to go thru to get it working properly, neither which is explained in any detail in the Manual or QG.

So don't beat your self up. :)

Aug 29, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #40,888 of 48,560
Well, I would rather blame creative..

1. Their own employees do not know what they are talking about as they claimed with certainty that to get full VSS you need a PC.
2. There are contradicting info on their own website, in the listed features as well as in the FAQ.
3. If it does work without a PC there are still a few hoops to go thru to get it working properly, neither which is explained in any detail in the Manual or QG.

So don't beat your self up. :)

I guess in a sense they're not lying as I do believe you still need a pc at first to enable 5.1/7.1 as well as having the better form of SBX. I think at default without a PC the SBX surround is medium, and may not mix down 7.1/5.1 properly. I can't be certain since connecting it to the pc and adjusting everything was the very first thing I did.

Then again, maybe enabling 7.1 or whatnot is only related to its usb function on pc, as that setting on ps4 is fine on the ps4 itself.

Not sure.

Otherwise, yes, I think they may have made mistakes in their manuals. I haven't gone through that stuff myself. Not yet.

One thing I will say is that I much prefer the X7's software over the G6's. The G6 seems a bit more confusing, whereas the X7 has easy to follow options.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #40,889 of 48,560
Steelseries is now selling its gameDAC solo (no headphone required). Supposedly does DTSHeadphone X 2.0.

Not going to get me to upgrade from my X7 x Sparkos, but compelling.

Maybe not selling well enough as a package. Thought the unit was nice when I tried one but sounded poor to me - wonder if the headphones were holding it back? Might try one again with my own headphones now?

I had the Arctis Pro headset with the GameDAC for like two days when it launched and returned it. I didn’t like the way it sounded, and even with the included headset the volume was quite low.

Aug 29, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #40,890 of 48,560
Well, i don't think they are lying.. :) I just think they do not know their own product as well as they should. Secondly all this should of course be covered in detail in the manual.

Still find it kind of interesting that Creative claimed the VSS is software driven and depended on the drivers... if that where the case you would simply not get VSS processing without a PC running the drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back