Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 27, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #40,816 of 48,561
That's painful. X7 got me accustomed to on the fly settings changes.

Aug 27, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #40,817 of 48,561
Oh hell, I only tested on PC and Switch. If the decoding doesn't work on PS4...that's gonna be somewhat of an oversight.

Let me get back to you guys.

Aug 27, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #40,818 of 48,561
So close to being perfect until I read - Xbox Voice not supported?? Once day we'll get someone other than Astro willing to stump up the stupid Microsoft tax :frowning2: . Although Creative offering a free H5 headset with orders which once sold could make this a pretty economical purchase for single player on XB and all PS gaming??

I also noticed that it has no battery. As an E5 owner, that really disappointed me. I use the E5 as a portable DAC all the time; the G6 pretty much requires a power bank companion unless you always use it on a desk and if you do, why bother with the portable form factor? Confusing product.

Aug 27, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #40,819 of 48,561
I can confirm 1000% that virtual surround is working perfectly fine with PS4. The G6 picks up Dolby Digital, and the surround cues are perfect.

Aug 27, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #40,820 of 48,561
I can confirm 1000% that virtual surround is working perfectly fine with PS4. The G6 picks up Dolby Digital, and the surround cues are perfect.
What does the chat mixing look like?

Aug 27, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #40,821 of 48,561

Awesome. They need to fix that FAQ answer! Seems what they must have meant, as we suspected, is that you need the PC to initiate or change the settings for virtual surround to be active, but you will still have 5.1/7.1 virtual surround over optical once the PC application is used and settings saved to the device.

Aug 27, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #40,822 of 48,561
What does the chat mixing look like?
I haven't done that sort of testing. That'll have to come later.

But yeah, I just attached an optical cable from ps4 to the G6 and enabled SBX.

It was a short test with CoD Infinite Warfare but it was easily noticeable.

I definitely think you need a PC to change settings though. Like putting surround to max. Unlike the X7, it's only three choices. Off, med, max. Those aren't the names though.

The G6 does have a dedicated sbx button on the side of the unit.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #40,823 of 48,561

Please tell me that it sounds better than Astro MixAmp Pro TR? Can't wait to try it with HD800S and ModMic

This sounds too good to be true.
-Virtual surround
-Chat support (PS4)
-Powerful amp +optical out (processing/SBX included)

I just did a preorder from eu site and got Sound BlasterX H5 for free.

Aug 27, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #40,825 of 48,561
Please tell me that it sounds better than Astro MixAmp Pro TR? Can't wait to try it with HD800S and ModMic

This sounds too good to be true.
-Virtual surround
-Chat support (PS4)
-Powerful amp +optical out (processing/SBX included)

I just did a preorder from eu site and got Sound BlasterX H5 for free.
I haven't heard those later Mixamps, but it DEFINITELY sounds better than any Mixamp I've heard.

The fact it also does SBX through it's optical/analog out is also just fantastic if you have better gear.

Like I said, like a cutdown X7.

Not sure I'd use it alone for the HD800S. Aren't those hard to drive?

Aug 27, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #40,826 of 48,561
I haven't heard those later Mixamps, but it DEFINITELY sounds better than any Mixamp I've heard.

The fact it also does SBX through it's optical/analog out is also just fantastic if you have better gear.

Like I said, like a cutdown X7.

Not sure I'd use it alone for the HD800S. Aren't those hard to drive?

Nice! HD800S is not that hard to drive but definitely benefits from a better Dac/Amp, balanced output etc. Will try it with and without an external amp.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #40,830 of 48,561
That's what I figured.

So with the G6 becoming the "X7 lite" (I'll come down off the ledge now, thanks MLE for confirming) is there any reason to own a G5? Seems like a redundant product now, since the E5 also exists and has more functionality. (Bluetooth, also has 7.1 SBX, portable...) E5 is the PC/portable virtual surround amp/DAC while the G6 is the not portable cheaper console virtual surround amp/DAC. The X7 is the granddaddy mini-receiver. G5 seems to not serve much purpose in the product line anymore.

It always was a little weird to me that they had the E5 and the G5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back