1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (9/10/2019: Grado WH1 'The White Headphone' Added)

Discussion in 'Video Games Discussion' started by mad lust envy, Jan 17, 2011.
  1. Evshrug
    Every little upgrade adds up, but the biggest jump is simply having enough power for full-size headphones. As Mad said, it’s easy to add an external amp later if you want... but you may not feel like you need to.

The upgraded power supply only affects the active speaker outputs, no change for the headphone outputs.

Hi x1o8x,
    That sounds like it might be a defect, I’d recommend reaching out to Sennheiser support:
    https://service.sennheiserusa.com/

Exactly, tube amps can vary in presentation of soundstage just as much as any solid state amp. My first good amp was a tube amp (still have it!), and the ability to separate instruments and place them in a soundstage was FAR better and bigger than the pocket SS amps and phone amps I used before.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  2. Fegefeuer
    100% [​IMG]

3. illram
    I just hope there isn't a bit of a bait and switch going on with the Super X-Fi, in that all the demos used a more involved process (ear microphone calibration and a larger dedicated piece of hardware) than the final product is supposed to have. (Just take a picture of your ear.) But Creative is a big, established player so I am very excited to see how it looks when released.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  4. Boogie7910
    Anyone have a problem with the surround mix in Call of Duty games? I remember the original Modern Warfare 2 being perfect and having absolute precision of sounds and I knew exactly when someone was coming around a corner to where I would start shooting a split second before they even popped their head out. Since then the sound mix seems confused and garbled almost as if they have anti sound whoring code.

5. Mad Lust Envy Contributor
    It's not just you. Depending on the studio, more recent CoDs have terrible sound mixing in terms of benefits to virtual surround sound. The last game I can think of that does well is CoD Ghosts. The ones after that really seem to have dialed down surround cues.

Evshrug likes this.
  6. Evshrug
    Wait, something not about headphones? YES!!! I can finally express an opinion!!

And yeah, COD4, MW2, and Ghosts were the audio pinnacles of the series. Black Ops III wasn’t bad... but it wasn’t very good either, or tactically useful, mostly a lot of bangs. It’s also somewhat the nature of the game design, which is also what happens with Battlefield: there are so many loud things like explosions and air support going on that it’s really hard to listen for footsteps and other quieter sounds among that, or it’s so obvious where an enemy will be (the choke points of three lanes) that it doesn’t matter if you hear them, everybody’s at the meat grinder.

Ghosts was particularly cool, if you main assault rifles and short-range guns. There was a “tactical awareness perk” that made footsteps and pins being pulled from grenades easier to hear, and a General game design Priority on making sound cues important and informative.

I haven’t played CoD WWII, so I don’t have a comment about that. Maybe that will be a return to form, but there might be too many explosions.

7. illram
    I found Black Ops III to have great rear cues and that was the last Call of Duty to really make audio useful with loud footsteps. I found Infinity War terrible until an update that increased footstep noise, then my X7 actually did become useful in that game. I did not really play WWII much and from the recent BO4 Beta it looks like the trend to down play audio cues is continuing.

I never found the actual quality to change game to game other than whether the game had a useful audio related perk, or not. Call of Duty just re uses the same engine year after year anyway.

8. headphonesonly
    BO4 seemed like it had really good positional cues. Definitely better than BO3 and i think it’s because of their putting some emphasis on sound cues for the blackout BR mode.

9. Mad Lust Envy Contributor
    Stay tuned Monday/Tuesday.

I'm going on vacation for two weeks, so I won't likely have the Mobius updated review done, nor two other upcoming reviews until after, but I will at least let you know what they are in a few days.

And if anyone is waiting for the Koss Portapro wireless review, I apologize. That one will have to come AFTER these three upcoming reviews.

lenroot77, Vader2k and illram like this.
  10. TeeReQs
    Sweet! Looking forward to it. Have a nice vacation

11. Mad Lust Envy Contributor
    https://us.creative.com/p/amplifiers/sound-blasterx-g6

So this is what Creative sent me. Works with everything, like the X7 but is a more budget option at $150, and actually has a lot of volume gain compared to the Senn GSX1000. So if you fiund yourself with a harder to drive headphone and need volume, the G6 is the safer bet.

Outside of my comfort zone, they have also sent me:

https://us.creative.com/p/headphones-headsets/aurvana-trio

A week's worth of impression with the Nintendo Switch is very positive. Has a warm neutral character, with sparkle up top. AT first they really hurt my ears since I don't particularly care for ANYTHING in my ear, but using the small tips, the comfort isn't bad. I do wish they packaged small foam tips, as there is only a medium foam tip which hurts my small ear canals.

ANyways, after the Audeze Mobius updated review, I'll do these two things. Very good things from all three.

halcyon, lenroot77, Fegefeuer and 2 others like this.
  12. illram
    Oooooooh look at that. Buying it! Need a second console compatible device. It'd be nice if they could just push a software update to the G5 and E5 to allow Dolby decoding but I guess that is a pipedream.

Now the E5 is even more of an odd man out in the Creative family. I'm not sure what purpose it serves--portability? (I own one, I heard its SBX was better than the G5's.)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  13. WhiteHartMart
    So close to being perfect until I read - Xbox Voice not supported?? Once day we'll get someone other than Astro willing to stump up the stupid Microsoft tax :frowning2: . Although Creative offering a free H5 headset with orders which once sold could make this a pretty economical purchase for single player on XB and all PS gaming??

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  14. Mad Lust Envy Contributor
    The SBX I dunno why but does sound a LITTLE different. Fortunately, the surround cues are just as good as the X7 so it's no big deal.

15. Fegefeuer
    LITTLE as in? :angry: