Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 19, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #34,698 of 48,560
Ah well I'm in UK BUT I always buy stuff like this from Amazon even if they are not the cheapest.  Purely because of their no quibble returns and customer service.  When buying something that expensive you want peace of mind.  Currently $264 on there but I understand some states have a tax as well to add on?

Mar 19, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #34,699 of 48,560
  Ah well I'm in UK BUT I always buy stuff like this from Amazon even if they are not the cheapest.  Purely because of their no quibble returns and customer service.  When buying something that expensive you want peace of mind.  Currently $264 on there but I understand some states have a tax as well to add on?

is good idea to buy stuff from Amazon if you dont like the item we can just return it.

Mar 19, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #34,701 of 48,560
You're not wrong. Can someone explain in simple terms how I am to connect a mic to these k712s without using 10 different adapters to achieve This?

Modmic, but then you'll have ten different cables. If you want simplicity, you should look at something like the SHP9500, X2, or some other headphone with a 3.5mm jack to work with the Boompro.

Mar 19, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #34,703 of 48,560
Mar 20, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #34,704 of 48,560
  Soundblaster Recon 3D for PS3/PC.  I purchased it 2 years ago from Amazon

Has anyone noticed that the Cinematic Dynamic Range Controls are reversed?

Dynamic Range Control:

Full (maximum)
Normal (Standard)
Night (minimum)

These are the 3 choices.  And you would think that "Night" mode would cut down the bass and be the least dynamic with ranges.  But its exactly the opposite.
Full mode sounds flat, cuts the bass and sounds like a Night mode should.  Night mode is very open..high highs, deep bass.

Whats going on here?

I have a Recon3D as well, use it exclusively for console now.

I also trying to figure out this but recently I have lefted at Full. Before, I would just set it at Normal.

As per my opinion, I feel FULL gives me the whole range of what I want to hear without and ups and downs in the sound signature, like NIGHT. Nights actually lowers the loud sounds and increases the soft sounds, which is like the option says, is for night mode, when you are keeping the volume low.

Standard and Full sounds similar to me though, and I have not really paid attention to it, mainly because I play on my PC and I'm using a Xonar DG, to a Schitt Modi 2 Uber, to a Cayin C5 amp, which is in my opinion, way better sounding than the Recon3D (and I use to prefer SBX but now I got use to DH).

Hopefully someone in here can get technical with the DRC

Mar 20, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #34,705 of 48,560
I won't lie to you.  I've been switching between jsut MixAmp and MixAmp + Magni and I cannot tell the difference other than the MAgni allows me to go to volume levels which I would never be comfortable with.  I may send it back.

Mar 20, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #34,706 of 48,560
People expect amplifiers to be like equalizers. No.

Amps are there to allow whatever headphones you're using to perform at their maximum potential.

Loudness is just a portion of what amplifiers do.

Say, a Sennheiser HD800 (as an example, there are cheaper examples). In order to perform its best, there may be a different power requirement when playing frequencies at 60hz than playing at 2k hz. It can be something like 300ohm for the HD800 normally, and 1000ohm (yes, 1000) in specific bass frequencies. So if you're using an amp that can power 300ohm at best, once the HD800 reaches 1000ohm to perform at 100% in the bass, the amp won't be able to provide enough juice, and the HD800 will sound weak/thin in that section of sound. The sound may be LOUD, but the damage has been done and you're getting a thin, lifeless bass with no punch.

The point is clean, ample power at all times.

You may not notice it with sensitive headphones, but with harder to drive headphones, you're surely going doing a huge disservice.

If it's just gaming, then yes, you may be able to get by with less since you're more focused on screen. But then, what is the purpose of buying good headphones if you're gonna allow them to perform at 60%. Mauy as well get an easy to drive headphone that performs its best without the power needed.

I dunno what you're using, but the AKG K700 series is one of the best headphones to provide good power to.

Would you prefer to drive a car is close to full power at 100mph, or one that can handle 100mph with ease, putting less stress on its long term performance?

Headroom. That's a term people need to understand.

Not to mention, in the future if/when you want a planarmagnetic or harder to drive headphone, rest assured, you WILL curse at yourself for thinking volume was all you needed.

Mar 20, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #34,707 of 48,560
Thanks for that analogy, it makes a lot of sense.  I am considering swapping the phones for for some X2's as I don't play a huge amount of FPS games to worry about the positional too much and I could then run straight off the MixAmp.

Mar 21, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #34,710 of 48,560
I know it's kinda stupid comparing these headphones to each other specially when there is a huge difference in price, but I am curious.

How the Philips Fidelio X2, MrSpeakers Alpha Dog, and MrSpeakers Ether C compare to each other in terms of Soundstage, Imaging, bass, and performance in general when plugged to a phone?

Are you going to give the Ether C a score of out of 10 in each category?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back