1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (9/10/2019: Grado WH1 'The White Headphone' Added)

Discussion in 'Video Games Discussion' started by mad lust envy, Jan 17, 2011.
  1. Mad Lust Envy Contributor
    Let me know of any flaws guys. You know I'm blind to some things, despite reading over and correcting this like 10 times.

Hi-Fi EDU and KhaledM like this.
  2. Imperatore
    Please don't confuse my ignorance for any kind of hostility.  I am still learning most of the terminology and thus anything I write is written with a complete lack of understanding, also I have aspergers so sometimes I write things in a way that I don't initially see as coming across rude but when it's pointed out I can .  Whils't I'm here, can anyone recommend an amp for the K712 Pro that I can actually get in the UK?  The Schiit ones seem to be out of stock everywhere and most are overkill.  The ones suggested in the guide (FiiO E12) I don't understand how that connects to Mixamp Pro as it lacks the RCA which I understand the Mixamp would connect to the (Schiit) with a 3.5mm to RCA.

3. Mad Lust Envy Contributor
    Oh, I didn't take your comment as rude. I actually felt my reply came across as sarcastic. I actually didn't mean it that way. Text tone is a problem people have with me, despite I not actually trying to sound like an ass all the time. Only sometimes. :wink:

The E12 has an standard 3.5mm input (the one next to the headphone jack), so any regular cable between the Mixamp's headphone jack and the E12 is fine.

I wish it wasn't so close to it, and on the side or back instead.

4. Imperatore
    Thanks for clarifying, as you say text tone is hard to interpret at the best of time let alone with my issues :)  Is there any quality issues with using 3.5mm rather than RCA?  Would I benefit from getting a slighlty better 3.5mmcable is basically what I'm asking here I think, I had a Fisual S-Flex on my X1's which was nice for the non kink prevention but isn't really an issue on a static setup.
    I understand I'd have the MixAmp turned up to max volume and control volume from the amp itself at this point as well. 

Anyone have experience with this amp? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Little-Dot-MKII-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00A2QMAI2/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1458301480&sr=8-7&keywords=headphone+amp

Also MixAmp Pro 2013 is a little hard to find now so I decided to go for the latest TR (whatever that means) one, hopefully just as good.

5. Mad Lust Envy Contributor

Nah, no real benefit going from RCA to 3.5mm. Perhaps a thicker, higher quality wiring for channel transmission, but in real world use, it's unnoticeable. Considering that the RCA's separate channels will end up in the same amplification path down the line, it's not really gonna make a difference. Don't worry too much about quality, as long as cables aren't piss poor. Hell, I'm still using a 3.5mm cable from my FIRST Mixamp back in 2010.

The only thing to worry about for 3.5mm cables is when you're using them as a headphone cable, where cable impedance and resistance may make a small difference (like very small). The Philips Fidelio X1 is such a case, where it came with a less than stellar cable as far as impedance goes. For pre-amplification signal path, an amp's input resistance (IIRC) is so high, it won't make a difference.

As for Mixamp, don't worry about 2013. I only have the year mentioned because that was the one I reviewed . That was the worst one anyways. I'd go for the TR, which I hear fixes the 2013's issues.

As for amps, try Project 1217 stuff? His stuff is popular. I'd personally want the Polaris.

Imperatore likes this.
  6. Imperatore
    Thank you very much for your detailed replies.  Whils't some of it was far too technical, I think I got the jist of it!  So tomorrow I will have the K712 Pro's, latest Mixamp, and the FiiO E10, I think I'll 'make do' with it until I can get the Schiit Magni as it looks nicer basically. I like the look of those amps with the tubes which glow but again as an audio technophobe I don't want to worry about tube replacements. 
    I tried the Playstation Wireless Headset 2.0/Gold last night.  I was hoping I'd like it due to the price but I don't think you can really drop down with audio, the X1's spoiled me a bit I think.  It sounded ok in Stereo but the VSS, even with bass boost lost so much detail, and I don't remember feeling the same way with the mixamp VSS at all. 

I'm not expecting to be blown away with the new stuff compared to the X1's but after getting interference galore from my Sony HW700DS i decided a wired setup was worth the 'hassle'.

PS:  The Garage amps are again hard to source in the UK so FiiO will do me and if I feel it neccessary I can always get the Magni when available.

7. Mad Lust Envy Contributor
    Wait... did you order the E10 now? I wouldn't. The E10 is a dac/amp without an analog input. E11 is the cheapest thing as far as enough amping goes, and for the AKGs, I wouldn't do anything less than the E12, Magni preferred really.

8. Imperatore
    No it's me getting the numbers mixed up again! Like when I ordered a Galaxy S6 Edge instead of S7 Edge >.<  E12 it is (albeit temporarily)
    Decided actually to just wait and get the Magni Uber, I'll make do with the headphones and MixAmp for a bit. 

Edit: Just found website which has the Uber in stock!

9. Mad Lust Envy Contributor
    For gaming purposes, you may not even need another amp, unless you're using voice chat, where you may need the extra volume. It's no ideal, but gaming with a Mixamp alone is something I did even when I had big boy amps plenty of times.

10. Yethal
    From what I remember one of companies making the o2 amp is based in uk. Either Mayflower or JDS, i don't remember which one

11. Mad Lust Envy Contributor
    I believe you mean Epiphany Acoustics.

All this time, and I never heard the O2, but ODAC is what I consider to be the best DAC I've heard.

12. Imperatore

I will have chat occasionally, once I figured out which stumpy XLR adapter I need to connect the Boom Pro :)  Most seem to be to a 6.3mm jack, so is that the 'big' headphone connector type you commonly get and I could just stick one on the boom pro?

Thanks Yethal, looks like I was looking at the wrong site for Schiit, needed schiit-eu.com not what I was looking at.

13. MonsieurNiceGuy
    Ever think about trying the Modmic instead of the Boom Pro? 

Quote:

14. Imperatore

No, for the simple reason that I'm familiar with the Boom Pro and also Modmic, at least here is nearly twice as expensive so I cannot really justify it for the amount I use it.

15. Hi-Fi EDU
    @Mad Lust Envy

Although I've only read two of them (TH-600 and this Ether C one), I enjoy your reviews. You have a writing style that's easy to read with good word choice and vocabulary, yet you maintain a relatively even-keel (regardless of your excitement about the Ether C). Despite me always keeping in mind that every review is one person's opinion, I really got a full sense of what the Ether C are all about, short of trying them myself. They sound like an excellent pair of headphones to me, granted I still can't stomach these prices. Thanks for the thorough write-up.

Since you asked, I think I found a few, minor typographical/grammatical errors:

- Under section Midrange: Paragraph 6. "There is very few rough edges" should be "There are..."

- Under section Imaging and Soundstage: Paragraph 5. The word soundstaging is missing the letter d. Then in the second sentence of that same paragraph, you should drop the "a" in the part that reads "and the warmest setups have a more intimate sonic traits."

- Under Sound Signature: Paragraph 2. "Bass can become Bigger, fuller, bigger the warmer you go with the tuning pads." The word bigger is used twice. Maybe it should just read "bigger and fuller, the warmer you go..."  or maybe the changes are that BIG [​IMG] .

- Also for those who like to know, you never explicitly state the Ether C's factory specs nor what you're driving them with (audio chain). Maybe that was on purpose or I missed it. I personally didn't miss it in reading though, if you know what I mean.

And that's all I think I can comment on. Well done!