Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 17, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #34,621 of 48,561
which LG did you get? 29Um67? 34UM67?

Mar 17, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #34,622 of 48,561
It's funny though, in the end I'll probably end up with a good laptop without mobile graphics, and use something like the Razer core eGPU unit.

I do game a lot on the go, so if and when the Razer Core is allowed on other Thunderbolt 3 devices, it may be more appealing to me than getting a desktop. My dreams of a desktop build where also modest, at least in size. As in mini-itx with carrying handles so I can transport on the daily. But then... no monitor to go with that, so again, a laptop makes more sense.

Just wish Razer would come down to the real world on its pricing. $500 for a shell is a lot to ask, though it does bring a 500w psu and its own IO. Still Alienware and MSI's versions are like $300 cheaper.

I would've bought the small Razer ultrabook if it actually had decent ram in it. 8gb is not enough these days. 16gb at minimum. And I'm mad that neither Razer laptop has Gsync. the new Stealth being $2000 is absurd. Why make the Core for it, if you're gonna force a 970m in there for an additional/needless cost? Stupid.

Mar 17, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #34,623 of 48,561
It's funny though, in the end I'll probably end up with a good laptop without mobile graphics, and use something like the Razer core eGPU unit.

I do game a lot on the go, so if and when the Razer Core is allowed on other Thunderbolt 3 devices, it may be more appealing to me than getting a desktop. My dreams of a desktop build where also modest, at least in size. As in mini-itx with carrying handles so I can transport on the daily. But then... no monitor to go with that, so again, a laptop makes more sense.

Just wish Razer would come down to the realm world on its pricing. $500 for a shell is a lot to ask, though it does bring a 500w psu and its own IO.

I would've bought the small Razer ultrabook if it actually had decent ram in it. 8gb is not enough these days. 16gb at minimum. And I'm mad that neither Razer laptop has Gsync. the new Stealth being $2000 is absurd. Why make the Core for it, if you're gonna force a 970m in there for an additional/needless cost? Stupid.

Asus actually has a laptop out (it's incredibly expensive though) that has a watercooled 980 as an attachment with a 6700k cpu. It's the GX700VO. Nvidia has apparently let other manufacturers create a laptop with a full 980 inside of it and a 6700k cpu with gysnc. Again, it is horrendously expensive (over two grand.)

Mar 17, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #34,624 of 48,561
Yeah, but I'd be more into a thinner laptop to have whenever I'm not gaming, and the attaching the Core when I do.

After my years with the M17X R4, I'm kinda tired of behemoth laptops. Besides the 980 may be destop, but it's not replaceable. The core makes upgrading easy. I am limited to whatever cpu is inside though with gaming, gpu is much more important.

I can't wait for someone to make an easily upgradeable laptop in general.

Modular laptop. I'd so pay for that.

Mar 17, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #34,625 of 48,561

I am building a new pc and am i really lost what to take for the audio part, sound card, dac, amp, like i really don't know.. 
My budget is like 400- 500 euros for headphones and 300 euros to amp,dac, or a sound card ?? 
It will be mostly use for gaming but i wanna introduce my self to the hi-fi world through this.
I'll be using a AT2020 mic with the setup. 

For now, get the Sound Blaster Z card and whatever headphones you like, plug the headphones directly into the SB-Z.
Then you can take your time to consider what, if any, external DAC/amp you might get.

For FPS gaming, Sennheiser HD558 or Audio Technica ATH-AD700X would do the job.
Going with higher priced headphones will improve sound quality for music, but not gaming.

Mar 17, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #34,626 of 48,561
Yeah, but I'd be more into a thinner laptop to have whenever I'm not gaming, and the attaching the Core when I do.

After my years with the M17X R4, I'm kinda tired of behemoth laptops. Besides the 980 may be destop, but it's not replaceable. The core makes upgrading easy. I am limited to whatever cpu is inside though with gaming, gpu is much more important.

I can't wait for someone to make an easily upgradeable laptop in general.

Modular laptop. I'd so pay for that.

Laptop is thinner, but the docking station for the water cooler is huge. Unfortunately, it isn't upgradeable like you said. With Nvidia's habit of ceasing gpu support after a year and a half to two years, it might end up becoming a frustration.

which LG did you get? 29Um67? 34UM67?

I have a 29UM67. I've owned 3440x1440 panels (too much input lag and the only model with freesync was too expensive) and normal 1440p monitors, so anything larger than that at 1080p would have been atrocious with pixel density. It has pretty good pixel response time and super, super low input lag.

Mar 17, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #34,627 of 48,561
Mad Lust you talking about M17x R4, is making me miss my M17x R2. It died on me late last year. 

Even though it was a behemoth of a laptop, I still miss it. 
Quote:

Mar 17, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #34,628 of 48,561
Shouldn't you be bying a pair of matched drivers? Who knows what sorts of minor adjustments or sonic differences were made between what you have and now. Lol.

That would be the sensible thing to do, but at that point, I might as well buy a new headphone. Besides, any mass-production headphone is going to have some minor differences between both drivers.

Even then, what's with all the impedance options on mainstream Beyerdynamic drivers? Is there any point besides making them crave a more powerful source? I see no reason to switch from the stock 32-ohm drivers, but there's 80-ohm, 250-ohm and 600-ohm versions, the last of which is an actual MMX300 option for MANUFAKTUR customized models.

Or You can just go full pimp and buy the Tesla drivers

Not sure I'd go Tesla. The ones I've heard have been pretty... polarizing to say the least.

I wasn't sure if the Tesla drivers even used the same baffle mounting as Beyer's more mainstream models. Even so, I was satisfied with the stock drivers for what it was, and when things get expensive, I get Stax.

You wanna get crazy with driver swap talk, though? What if someone crammed some T50RP drivers into the MMX300 housing, given how extensively that headphone's been modded for what its drivers can do? Orthodynamic gaming headset, baby!

At any rate, I'm not going to worry about it too much in the short term. The only thing that really concerns me about it is that when the PC360 I ordered arrives in a few days, I won't be able to properly A/B the two headsets and have to go off memory for the MMX300.

Mar 17, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #34,630 of 48,561
Can I fit a boom pro to the K712,Pros? Presumably it works with any headphone featuring a detachable cord?

You'd need a 3-pin XLR to minijack adapter

Mar 17, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #34,634 of 48,561

Users who are viewing this thread

Back