Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 16, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #48,316 of 48,561
I've been playing Returnal on PC.

They have a few sound options for headphones. One of them is a very good virtual surround implementation:

Resonance Audio.

They also have one called Auro 3D, but I don't really get good positional cues with that one. It's all about Resonance Audio. Dolby Atmos is also an option directly from the game settings, which is not common. (usually have to set it in Windows, and set the game to something like 5.1/7.1 for it to work)

Returnal is kinda tough, ngl.

Between a few runs of that, I've also been playing Atomic Hearts, and Octopath Traveler II demo.

I may skip Atomic Hearts though. As cool as it looks, I'm not really into Bioshock-esque games. Infinite was alright.

Not sure what I'm waiting for in terms of games. Suikoden collection, and Eiyuuden, I guess.

Mar 17, 2023 at 1:49 AM Post #48,317 of 48,561
I've been playing Returnal on PC.

They have a few sound options for headphones. One of them is a very good virtual surround implementation:

Resonance Audio.

They also have one called Auro 3D, but I don't really get good positional cues with that one. It's all about Resonance Audio. Dolby Atmos is also an option directly from the game settings, which is not common. (usually have to set it in Windows, and set the game to something like 5.1/7.1 for it to work)

Returnal is kinda tough, ngl.

Between a few runs of that, I've also been playing Atomic Hearts, and Octopath Traveler II demo.

I may skip Atomic Hearts though. As cool as it looks, I'm not really into Bioshock-esque games. Infinite was alright.

Not sure what I'm waiting for in terms of games. Suikoden collection, and Eiyuuden, I guess.
Returnal is def one of my fav games. I've played on ps5, but i'm sure the PC version is insane. I'd be curious to see how the PC audio compares to the ps5 tempest audio solution.

Mar 27, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #48,320 of 48,561
If you want to get Tempest to the G6, the G6 must be connected via USB, not optical. Tempest Audio/3D audio for headphones will work through USB or the controller headphone jack only.

I think they added a 3D audio option in an update to work through hdmi, but I think that is for speaker based 3D audio, not headphones. Unfortunately, I can't test as I don't have the G6 anymore.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #48,321 of 48,561
@Mad Lust Envy I see Audeze coming with a MM-100 series. Based on pics they only have a single entry point, meaning they aren't balanced-capable without mods. Any other info available / coming?

audeez_mm100.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #48,322 of 48,561
We have no information to share at this time.

Subscribe to the newsletter, for any info related to public news we can share about new products, etc.

You can subscribe to our mailing list here.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #48,323 of 48,561
We’ll have to wait until Audeze’s embargo ends and Mad is officially able to talk about stuff 😂 @Chastity I wouldn’t assume that a single entry point necessarily means there is no balanced option… the Ultrasone Signature X, Sennheiser HD 560S, Fostex T60RP, and many others (but not all!) have balanced connectors on a single entry plug.

Mar 31, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #48,324 of 48,561
Speaking of Returnal, I’ll be streaming some gameplay and an AMA tonight at 8:30 PM EST on Twitch: https://twitch.tv/evshrug

And to compliment Mad’s iFi Go Blu Review, I just reviewed the entry-level but good iFi ZEN Air product lineup as the desktop option (and yes, it works on PS5’s USB ports), hopefully they’ll also send me a GO Blu for testing soon:

Next, I asked Schiit Audio if they would send me a Syn analog surround amp for review… they didn’t definitely agree (yet?), but I got a reply saying they would let me know in a few days and asked for my mailing address in the meanwhile :)

Apr 1, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #48,326 of 48,561
Let me know how the surround works, Evs.
Headphone surround works! There was definitely one moment where I heard something and dodged successfully by instinct, but Returnal is definitely a hard game 😂 I streamed for about an hour and a half, died at the boss, and now I’m rethinking that Friday night streams probably aren’t the best timing 🤣

Maybe Tuesday nights?

Apr 3, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #48,327 of 48,561
With the new Schiit device?

Because I know Returnal has two built in surround modes, one which works insanely well for me (Resonance).

I cheesed through Returnal this weekend, since I didn't wanna spend more time repeating the levels over and over, lol.

I feel dirty. But it wa an enjoyable game even with infinite obolites and keys to get the upgrades without worrying so much. It felt like a waste of time to do so many runs where you knew it was a bad run when you could barely afford anything, unless to lose mainly due to attrition. I don't typically cheat in games, and it's not like I did god mode or anything, I just didn't wanna deal with upgrades being behind a small chance to earn currency and keys.

Anyways, moved to Cyberpunk and restarted as a Street Kid this time. I had finished as a Nomad, and progressed a bit with Corpo, but after being sidetracked for so many months, I lost my place, and decided to just start over. That game is so damn good. Anticipating the DLC and the overdrive ray tracing mode on PC.

I'll PROBABLY get sidetracked again in a week, since a few things are coming out next week, like Xbox games pass version of Ghostwire Tokyo, and then Disney Speedstorm the week after (crossplay Mario Kart-like, yes please). Though Cyberpunk's overdrive update is also next week, so not sure.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #48,328 of 48,561
Speaking of Returnal, I’ll be streaming some gameplay and an AMA tonight at 8:30 PM EST on Twitch: https://twitch.tv/evshrug

And to compliment Mad’s iFi Go Blu Review, I just reviewed the entry-level but good iFi ZEN Air product lineup as the desktop option (and yes, it works on PS5’s USB ports), hopefully they’ll also send me a GO Blu for testing soon:

Next, I asked Schiit Audio if they would send me a Syn analog surround amp for review… they didn’t definitely agree (yet?), but I got a reply saying they would let me know in a few days and asked for my mailing address in the meanwhile :)

Really hope that Schiit hooks you up. I'm curious about that new Syn thing. Their description makes its surround/virtualization features sound basic and uncomplicated. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. But I like Schiit and I like their stuff.

Apr 3, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #48,330 of 48,561
Conflict of interest, so not sure it's a good idea when I work for the company and helped build the Maxwell personally, lol.

Of course I'd like to think we did a great job and it sounds great.

I think in hindsight, I could've done a preview of it which would've released on the same day as public unveiling, but believe me, really, really busy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back