Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 19, 2021 at 12:07 AM Post #47,266 of 48,561
Speaking of Creative, just had my 2nd AE-9 card crap out on me. These cards just aren't suited for op-amp swapping and their voltage control is crummy. From now on, I'm only using their external devices and ONLY if SxFi will be available via optical into a real DAC.

Sep 19, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #47,267 of 48,561
Hello
1) please tell how to run G6 in direct mode? I want to use it with ps5 to get tempest 3D audio. No sbx, only tempest!
2) run ratchet and clank and in menu they said that 3D audio (tempest) work with headphones plug into controller or by pulse 3D headset. So it’s not working with external usb dac?(I mean creative G6)
3) I try to connect my headphones to controller in ratchet and clank, and I can said it’s not a bad sound. I don’t notice much difference between this and G6 connection
It will work.

3D Audio (which tracks soundwaves off surfaces, and the surfaces alter the sound), AND uses HRTFs to place sound effects in 3D surround around us (lots of things can do this part of the trick, eg binaural renderers), certainly DOES work on the Playstation USB output.

Latest Playstation firmware allows sending 3D audio signal via TV (or Soundbar, which you might have to trick playstation into believing IS the TV) and using controllers microphone to tailor sound based on room acoustics, is ‘different’ to the 3D audio that the controller gets.. ie 3D audio via HDMI is NOT WHAT WE WANT FOR HEADPHONES; which will still NEED USB output/controller headphone jack/Sony official headset...

I use USB out (cambridge DAC with selectable UAC1/2 modes, or a FiiO BTA30 (as a DAC) or (preferably) an iFi DAC (with 7.2 firmwares that support consoles (tested with Switch and PS5; good))..

USB out, PCM (2 channel) and turn game settings to headphones (in some games), and voila.
Do use the Playstation setup menu to choose which of the 5 HRTF customisations work best for you (I use five different types of headphones and find that three of the profiles suit them.. so check each headset seperately for what makes it sound the best... - just find an area in a game like Returnal where there are sounds above, below and around the player and rotate the camera.. and swap to another profile and repeat .. one setting will seem PERFECT).

Just make sure, as you have been doing, to keep OFF all downstream effects processing (no SBX or enhancements).. ie ‘like me’ using the G6 (or as I do; the FiiO and Cambridge parts) to pass digital onto my DAC of choice (which may not have direct playstation support)..

The controller headphone port is ‘pretty good’, but with some large driver open backs I found the volume stiffled (just under the volume level I would choose). It is definitely passing some version of lossless sound and isn’t bad.

Using some Audio Technica ADG1X, the controller headphone jack was good, but choked the sound field and was ‘muffled‘ sound when compared to having an inline amplifier from the controller.
A (lowly) FiiO part did the trick; it opened the soundfield up noticably.
Rotating an Onkyo HA200 in line widened the soundstage a ‘tad’ more, but noticably gave some verticality to the sound.
Switching to an iFi Diablo (now able to run direct from console on the 7.2 firmware branch) - the soundfield was the widest/deepest and given the most verticality/latitude(height).

The GTO filter firmware (for iFi products) will essentially upsample the input as well, and would be my ‘go to’, but due to the GTO having no smearing effect (like a typical digital filter DOES) on the source, jitter from a poor USB cable may reveal itself.
A half decent USB cable and a line purifier (Playstations, like all PC are electrically ‘noisy’), and the sound from the Diablo (using GTO ‘filter’), this is untouchable.... Whilst the Diablo (raw) has regen circuits for input, and is good at isolating noise (has iFi tech for doing this built in), adding an iPurifier fixed transients and made the manta ray bolts in Demon Souls sound glassy without the harshness. Heck just the system ‘on‘ sound sounded GREAT.
Most notably though was that the music in Dirt 5 went from feeling background and like poor compressed soundfiles, to sounding like CD quality music and feeling like the bands were playing....)
I am not talking here about the Diablo sounding great (it is neutral and therefore perfect for headfi surround), but rather the affect of fixing the USB signal by using a line filter/regen.

Of course, for the OP, fibre optic out from the G6 might negate some aspects of noise,.. but I can attest that the iPurifier(3) improved soundfield and noticeably improved every aspect of digital audio from the console. (I bought one before I bought the iFi Diablo).

If anyone in Western Australia wants to try out a wee FiiO amp in line with their controller, I can meet Perth residents and loan the FiiO part. (you supply 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable) :wink: (PMs welcome)

Headphone gaming on the Playstation is an audio revolution.. its the closest we have gotten to A3D 2 audio (aureal soundwave tracing and occlusion), and given programmers know ALL end users have capable hardware (all PS5 consoles) and the game engines now support mapping textures with surface properties for the soundwaves - this is a game changer.

I have a couple of expensive sound cards for PC gaming (such as an Auzentech Prelude and an Asus Xonar STX) and the Playstation flogs them seriously.
Dolby Headphone will mix surround effects to sound like they are around us.. but having a correctly mapped environment with positional audio cues is unbelievable.
Forrest in (Ghost of) Tsushima have insects and ‘nature effects’ -wind over trees,.. raindrops etc.. all around us.. This ISNT a recorded stereo sound file, like most RPGs would use to simulate nature and save sound channels; this feels like many hundreds of soundchannels of playback,.. all flawlessly interacting with the environ.

3D audio off means a river can pan around me.. but 3D audio on means it pans around me with the sounds of the embankment curtailing the direct reflections.. To say it is a life saver in Returnal is an understatement. (justifies the purchase to your loved ones/significant others as you will be less stressed?!) You know where everything is based on sound.

BTW the reason I popped onto the thread today was just to let Nintendo and Playstation users with iFi audio parts to be aware that the 7.2 branch of firmwares (xmos 216) supports the consoles directly (now).
I’d recommend the GTO variant (ie 7.2c).
And a USB regenerator (even something as simple as an iPurifier3) can make a night/day difference to sound stage openess and improve the musicality of the feed and the quality of sound effects. (the Manta Bolts (Demon Souls) had transients that were so harsh prior to the filter in place...)
For a ‘night out’ on the town pricepoint, having a filter was the best purchase I have made (bang/buck) for quite awhile.

Not the OP?
Another option is a Fiio BTA30 (or a range of other USB DAC + bluetooth transmitters)
FiiO BTA30 will perform USB DAC duty with the Playstation and allow digital feed out (like a Creative E5/G6 etc), but can also transmit via bluetooth codecs such as APT X low latency/APT X HD.. (its LDAC modes may be limited by certain configurations)..
Combined with some Sennheiser IE80BT headbuds (presently 75% off), a cheap headfi setup with exceptional soundfield and high quality (low latency) playback can be created.

Whilst a few TVs can send (transmit) bluetooth, they are usually high latency/low quality and DO NOT (presently) support the Playstation headphone 3D audio... the FiiO BTA30 was a great MacGuyver product (like the Creative E5/G6 etc).

:) happy gaming y’all
(edited to fix pselling erorrs)

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #47,268 of 48,561
It will work.

3D Audio (which tracks soundwaves off surfaces, and the surfaces alter the sound), AND uses HRTFs to place sound effects in 3D surround around us (lots of things can do this part of the trick, eg binaural renderers), certainly DOES work on the Playstation USB output.

Latest Playstation firmware allows sending 3D audio signal via TV (or Soundbar, which you might have to trick playstation into believing IS the TV) and using controllers microphone to tailor sound based on room acoustics, is ‘different’ to the 3D audio that the controller gets.. ie 3D audio via HDMI is NOT WHAT WE WANT FOR HEADPHONES; which will still NEED USB output/controller headphone jack/Sony official headset...

I use USB out (cambridge DAC with selectable UAC1/2 modes, or a FiiO BTA30 (as a DAC) or (preferably) an iFi DAC (with 7.2 firmwares that support consoles (tested with Switch and PS5; good))..

USB out, PCM (2 channel) and turn game settings to headphones (in some games), and voila.
Do use the Playstation setup menu to choose which of the 5 HRTF customisations work best for you (I use five different types of headphones and find that three of the profiles suit them.. so check each headset seperately for what makes it sound the best... - just find an area in a game like Returnal where there are sounds above, below and around the player and rotate the camera.. and swap to another profile and repeat .. one setting will seem PERFECT).

Just make sure, as you have been doing, to keep OFF all downstream effects processing (no SBX or enhancements).. ie ‘like me’ using the G6 (or as I do; the FiiO and Cambridge parts) to pass digital onto my DAC of choice (which may not have direct playstation support)..

The controller headphone port is ‘pretty good’, but with some large driver open backs I found the volume stiffled (just under the volume level I would choose). It is definitely passing some version of lossless sound and isn’t bad.

Using some Audio Technica ADG1X, the controller headphone jack was good, but choked the sound field and was ‘muffled‘ sound when compared to having an inline amplifier from the controller.
Rotating an Onkyo HA200 in line widened the soundstage a ‘tad’ more, but noticably gave some verticality to the sound.
Switching to an iFi Diablo (now able to run direct from console on the 7.2 firmware branch) - the soundfield was the widest/deepest and given the most verticality/latitude(height).

The GTO filter firmware (for iFi products) will essentially upsample the input as well, and would be my ‘go to’, but due to the GTO having no smearing effect (like a typical digital filter DOES) on the source, jitter from a poor USB cable may reveal itself.
A half decent USB cable and a line purifier (Playstations, like all PC are electrically ‘noisy’), and the sound from the Diablo (using GTO ‘filter’), this is untouchable.... Whilst the Diablo (raw) has regen circuits for input, and is good at isolating noise (has iFi tech for doing this built in), adding an iPurifier fixed transients and made the manta ray bolts in Demon Souls sound glassy without the harshness. Heck just the system ‘on‘ sound sounded GREAT.
Most notably though was that the music in Dirt 5 went from feeling background and like poor compressed soundfiles, to sounding like CD quality music and feeling like the bands were playing....)
I am not talking here about the Diablo sounding great (it is neutral and therefore perfect for headfi surround), but rather the affect of fixing the USB signal by using a line filter/regen.

Of course, for the OP, fibre optic out from the G6 might negate some aspects of noise,.. but I can attest that the iPurifier(3) improved soundfield and noticeably improved every aspect of digital audio from the console. (I bought one before I bought the iFi Diablo).

If anyone in Western Australia wants to try out a wee FiiO amp in line with their controller, I can meet Perth residents and loan the FiiO part. (you supply 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable) :wink: (PMs welcome)

Headphone gaming on the Playstation is an audio revolution.. its the closest we have gotten to A3D 2 audio (aureal soundwave tracing and occlusion), and given programmers know ALL end users have capable hardware (all PS5 consoles) and the game engines now support mapping textures with surface properties for the soundwaves - this is a game changer.

I have a couple of expensive sound cards for PC gaming (such as an Auzentech Prelude and an Asus Xonar STX) and the Playstation flogs them seriously.
Dolby Headphone will mix surround effects to sound like they are around us.. but having a correctly mapped environment with positional audio cues is unbelievable.
Forrest in (Ghost of) Tsushima have insects and ‘nature effects’ -wind over trees,.. raindrops etc.. all around us.. This ISNT a recorded stereo sound file, like most RPGs would use to simulate nature and save sound channels; this feels like many hundreds of soundchannels of playback,.. all flawlessly interacting with the environ.

3D audio off means a river can pan around me.. but 3D audio on means it pans around me with the sounds of the embankment curtailing the direct reflections.. To say it is a life saver in Returnal is an understatement. (justifies the purchase to your loved ones/significant others as you will be less stressed?!) You know where everything is based on sound.

BTW the reason I popped onto the thread today was just to let Nintendo and Playstation users with iFi audio parts to be aware that the 7.2 branch of firmwares (xmos 216) supports the consoles directly (now).
And a USB regenerator (even something as simple as an iPurifier3) can make a night/day difference to sound stage openess and improve the musicality of the feed and the quality of sound effects. (the Manta Bolts (Demon Souls) had transients that were so harsh prior to the filter in place...)
For a ‘night out’ on the town pricepoint, having a filter was the best purchase I have made (bang/buck) for quite awhile.

Not the OP?
Another option is a Fiio BTA30 (or a range of other USB DAC + bluetooth transmitters)
FiiO BTA30 will perform USB DAC duty with the Playstation and allow digital feed out (like a Creative E5/G6 etc), but can also transmit via bluetooth codecs such as APT X low latency/APT X HD.. (its LDAC modes may be limited by certain configurations)..
Combined with some Sennheiser IE80BT headbuds (presently 75% off), a cheap headfi setup with exceptional soundfield and high quality (low latency) playback can be created.

Whilst a few TVs can send (transmit) bluetooth, they are usually high latency/low quality and DO NOT (presently) support the Playstation headphone 3D audio... the FiiO BTA30 was a great MacGuyver product (like the Creative E5/G6 etc).

When you say the 7.2 firmware supports the consoles directly now, do you mean you can connect a Zen Dac v2, for example, directly to the console via USB?

I've been waiting until the Hel 2 is available again to order one to use with my PS5, but if I can get a Zen v2 now instead I'll likely just go ahead and order one.

Sep 19, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #47,269 of 48,561
When you say the 7.2 firmware supports the consoles directly now, do you mean you can connect a Zen Dac v2, for example, directly to the console via USB?

I've been waiting until the Hel 2 is available again to order one to use with my PS5, but if I can get a Zen v2 now instead I'll likely just go ahead and order one.
Yes -all iFi products capable of running the 7.2 firmware branch (which adds ‘console support’), will hook up via USB now.

Don’t just trust the firmware pages; basically all products with newest xmos chip support the firmware if the consensus on headfi is ‘reporting correctly’.

I tested a firmware ‘not approved’ for my iFi unit (a Diablo), and I can ABSOLUTELY CONFIRM, a big resounding ‘YES’.

A representative had actually told me that playstation support wasn’t a thing that was necessarily due, but it turns out the Console supporting firmware has been around for months.

Tell your friends :wink:

edit- I actually think the firmware I chose to run WAS the Zen DAC V2 firmware. (easy!)

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #47,270 of 48,561
For play Battlefield 2042 on my PS5, Im thinking of pairing my Audio Technica 700x (modMic'd) with the new Fulla 4. I know the wait it several weeks for the Fulla but that should be enough to drive the 700s correct? Or...should I just splurge for the Hel 2?

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #47,271 of 48,561
It will work.

Not the OP?

Do you know if 3D Audio works on Fiio K5 Pro through the hdmi splitter? I connect hdmi cable from PS5 to the splitter, then put another hdmi that goes from splitter to monitor... and optical from splitter to Fiio.

Sep 21, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #47,272 of 48,561
Guys, a while back I was fed up with cords and decided to go wireless. Since I had a Logitech mouse and keyboard I went with a G935 thinking I could live with them and it kept all my peripherals under one software suite. Well long story short, I hate them. I am looking to head back to wired. I have a soundblaster G6 and was curious if anyone has the PC38x paired up with that or would I just be better off getting good headphones and a stand alone mic. I have used ant lion in the past but want to avoid 2 separate cords. I looked into a blue yeti but am worried it will just pick up every sound my 2 and 6 year old make. Maybe a V-moda mic would be good but I would need headphones that accommodate that. My budget is 350 or less for the headphones. Most games I am playing are not super competitive anymore but I do have battlefield 2042 pre ordered. I am really looking for a good sound stage but I would love something with a little impact, I feel like I have never owned a pair of headphones that give me any real bass. this thread lead me to the amazing AD700s years ago which I still have but they have seen better days. This is a seriously overwhelming thread now, any help is appreciated.

Sep 21, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #47,273 of 48,561
Guys, a while back I was fed up with cords and decided to go wireless. Since I had a Logitech mouse and keyboard I went with a G935 thinking I could live with them and it kept all my peripherals under one software suite. Well long story short, I hate them. I am looking to head back to wired. I have a soundblaster G6 and was curious if anyone has the PC38x paired up with that or would I just be better off getting good headphones and a stand alone mic. I have used ant lion in the past but want to avoid 2 separate cords. I looked into a blue yeti but am worried it will just pick up every sound my 2 and 6 year old make. Maybe a V-moda mic would be good but I would need headphones that accommodate that. My budget is 350 or less for the headphones. Most games I am playing are not super competitive anymore but I do have battlefield 2042 pre ordered. I am really looking for a good sound stage but I would love something with a little impact, I feel like I have never owned a pair of headphones that give me any real bass. this thread lead me to the amazing AD700s years ago which I still have but they have seen better days. This is a seriously overwhelming thread now, any help is appreciated.
First, watch this video by Crinacle:

Then, after being illuminated by Uncle Crin, you will dispose of the notion of a headset with a mic. It's only for convenience, :)

Now, you can get a nice desk mic, a condenser one, so it only grabs audio in a single direction. As for the phones, how are the AD700's sad? Do they need new pads? If you need new cans, and a budget of $350... well, that's how much the vaunted ATH-R70X are! Any chance you can also extend the budget to incorporate a new dac/amp? A Fulla 4 or Hel 2 may be in your future, as I have often found the G6 underpowered for most of my cans, and the analog stage of the G6 rolls off bass response. (Both headphone out and Line Out).

If you want entry summit-fi tier quality at mid-fi prices, then you can consider the Monolith M1570.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392836505489

At $399, these are a steal, and there's a whole thread on these cans, comparing them to the LCD-X and HE-6se v2, and even the Meze Empyreans. The M1570 are easily the best cans I own, tho at 700g, some weak necks get sassy about the weight. I wear them all day. The spatial imaging on these are crazy good, and the soundstage is wide. These can be very immersive AND offer great detail on the upper end, especially after applying Oratory1990's EQ and the cans are made less dark. This is the first set other than my Sony MDR-SA5000 where I can close my eyes, and easily discern the artists in studio or on stage, and know their placements, and they sound so realistic. Unlike the Sony's, the FR is very full sounding and energetic, with classic planar bass response.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #47,274 of 48,561
As for the phones, how are the AD700's sad? Do they need new pads?
The AD700s have pretty boring bass and the pads are shot as is a top pad that had broken off.

That video was great and I figured that was the way to go. I guess I don't care as much about the competitive aspect of the sound.
I want immersive with plenty of low end for explosions.

Sep 21, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #47,275 of 48,561
The AD700s have pretty boring bass and the pads are shot as is a top pad that had broken off.

That video was great and I figured that was the way to go. I guess I don't care as much about the competitive aspect of the sound.
I want immersive with plenty of low end for explosions.
Have you decided what you are going to get?

Sep 22, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #47,277 of 48,561
Look into something like an AKG K712 Pro, Philips Fidelio X2HR, that way you have some dynamic bass, and not lose much in soundstage.

Sep 23, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #47,279 of 48,561
I have a review on them on the first page...

The only issue with them is the treble spike. It's really really prominent.

Sep 23, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #47,280 of 48,561
I have a review on them on the first page...

The only issue with them is the treble spike. It's really really prominent.
Not sure how I scrolled past the 990 review but I did. I will most likely get both the dt990s and the k712pros to mess around with and give my son the pair I don't like best(unless I enjoy them both).

Only having the g6 I am thinking I'll need an amp. That's the next topic to search up.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back