Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 21, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #32,176 of 48,561
Can you link me to it, might wanna read it. (google didn't come up with nothing), and I think the Beyerdynamic mic is like $60, might as well just get a modmic at that point.

Just go for the vmoda boom pro Mic, it works, used it quite a few times with the COPs. Only difference is that the vmoda won't have the locking mechanism compared to the Mic from Beyerdynamic, which I honestly don't see making that much of a difference. Save yourself 30 bucks and go for the vmoda

Sep 21, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #32,177 of 48,561
Just go for the vmoda boom pro Mic, it works, used it quite a few times with the COPs. Only difference is that the vmoda won't have the locking mechanism compared to the Mic from Beyerdynamic, which I honestly don't see making that much of a difference. Save yourself 30 bucks and go for the vmoda

what are you using with the vmoda's now? also thanks

Sep 21, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #32,179 of 48,561
So I just ordered a PS4 and would obviously like to use my HD800s to play, but I also want to be able to chat. From my searching there doesnt seem to be a way to use a mic plugged into the controller and get the chat audio through the speakers(aka the optical output to my headphones). All of that chatter is from back in 2013 though, so did they maybe add that functionality? Cause I used to do it on the 360.

Is the only way to do this to use one of the mixamp pros? Because I also already have the Pioneer SE-DIR800C from back in the Halo 2 days, that I was hoping to use instead of buying a different DH decoder since I already have one.

thanks for the help!

Sep 21, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #32,180 of 48,561
  Can you link me to it, might wanna read it. (google didn't come up with nothing), and I think the Beyerdynamic mic is like $60, might as well just get a modmic at that point.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/638028/beyerdynamic-custom-one-pro-thread

I have a ModMic and if You have a choice, go for either the BoomPro or the Custom Headset Gear (much less hassle)
  also why do you guys want Virtual Surround Sound most people say is bad for gaming and music, since you only have 2 speakers, I am missing something?

Yup, Virtual Surround is THE way to go as far as headphone gaming is concerned. I'm playing Rainbow Six beta at this moment and thanks to my rig I'm able to hear enemies through walls and ceilings. Give it a try.

Sep 21, 2015 at 12:31 PM Post #32,181 of 48,561
  So I just ordered a PS4 and would obviously like to use my HD800s to play, but I also want to be able to chat. From my searching there doesnt seem to be a way to use a mic plugged into the controller and get the chat audio through the speakers(aka the optical output to my headphones). All of that chatter is from back in 2013 though, so did they maybe add that functionality? Cause I used to do it on the 360.

Is the only way to do this to use one of the mixamp pros? Because I also already have the Pioneer SE-DIR800C from back in the Halo 2 days, that I was hoping to use instead of buying a different DH decoder since I already have one.

thanks for the help!

It is actually possible to use two separate devices for incoming/outgoing chat so You're good to go

Sep 22, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #32,184 of 48,561
  http://www.head-fi.org/t/638028/beyerdynamic-custom-one-pro-thread

I have a ModMic and if You have a choice, go for either the BoomPro or the Custom Headset Gear (much less hassle)
Yup, Virtual Surround is THE way to go as far as headphone gaming is concerned. I'm playing Rainbow Six beta at this moment and thanks to my rig I'm able to hear enemies through walls and ceilings. Give it a try.

Kind of weird, most people have told me that is actually worst than to use headphones/stereo.

Guess I should try my Hyper X's Cloud 2 surround sound

Sep 22, 2015 at 12:52 AM Post #32,185 of 48,561
So I can run optical into my pioneer DH decoder and then just plug one of those lapel mics into the controller and have the chat audio come through my headphones?

That's awesome! Thanks for the info man

Yup, it works.

Kind of weird, most people have told me that is actually worst than to use headphones/stereo.

Guess I should try my Hyper X's Cloud 2 surround sound

It will only turn You away, listen to audio samples linked in the first post of this thread. Built in virtual surround (in any headphones) is mediocre.

Sep 22, 2015 at 4:36 AM Post #32,187 of 48,561
Not all virtual surrounds sound similar. And there is always an adjustment period if you've used stereo for so long now. It no longer will sound like a headaset but a virtual room full of speakers around you. That's the thing people seem to ignore. They expect the same exact sound as regular stereo but directional. Sorry, but that's not what it's gonna sound like (unless you set your surround on certain devices to a very low number. Doing that keeps the sound close to stereo, with with some additional depth, however, the surround placement won't be as good as when you go with a high surround setting.

You can either adjust slowly to higher numbers day to day, or do what I recommend: go full high setting, and let it become the normal. It'll be hard to go to a low setting after just spend like a week to adapt to the sound change from stereo to full surround.

Sep 22, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #32,188 of 48,561
Not all virtual surrounds sound similar. And there is always an adjustment period if you've used stereo for so long now. It no longer will sound like a headaset but a virtual room full of speakers around you. That's the thing people seem to ignore. They expect the same exact sound as regular stereo but directional. Sorry, but that's not what it's gonna sound like (unless you set your surround on certain devices to a very low number. Doing that keeps the sound close to stereo, with with some additional depth, however, the surround placement won't be as good as when you go with a high surround setting.

You can either adjust slowly to higher numbers day to day, or do what I recommend: go full high setting, and let it become the normal. It'll be hard to go to a low setting after just spend like a week to adapt to the sound change from stereo to full surround.

^This

I was new to surround when I first joined and bought the Recon 3D, which had customization settings (though limted for consoles). I always had it set to default 66%, at first, but gradually drifted to full 100% surround setting after adjusting.

Sep 22, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #32,189 of 48,561
I guess I will try it, 5.1 or 7.1 what's better in you guys opinion? I honestly barely noticed any difference in my 5.1 surround sound compare to stereo from my mixamp back in the day, can probably use it right now and still notice barely any difference.

Also you guys only use it for gaming, I am correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back