Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 13, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #40,172 of 48,562
Then I dunno. I'm not there, and things MUST be tweaked for PC to get things working right. When you first use any device, it's defaulted to barebones stereo signal at 16bit/44khz. First thing you always do with dacs is set to something like 24bit/96khz or more, etc. Though With gaming devices they tend to be limited to 16/48 because you just set speaker configuration to 5.1 or 7.1. THEY WILL NOT BE THIS BY DEFAULT. When choosing 5.1/7.1 the highest bit rate you can go is 16/48. when choosing stereo, you might be able to get 24/192, etc.

You need to learn to configure this stuff or you will never get pc audio devices to work as intended.

As for Razer Surround, I think it's the worst vss. IdI definitely recommend something else. Anything else.

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #40,173 of 48,562
As for your preference of AX720 over AD700X that's entirely subjective. We all have different tastes, but the ''surround" should be similar since they are both gonna take the same processing from the AX720 decoder box. Some headphones do better than others are depth and soundstage, sure, but directionality should be more or less the same. Perhaps you just like the presentation of a closed headphone more than open.

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #40,174 of 48,562
Can someone help with my situation? I'm going to make it as simple and straight forward as possible:

I have:
- Laptop (UBS 3.0, 3,5mm, NO* Optical)
- PS4 Pro
- AD700X Headphones as recommended by this thread
- Triton 720 (broken headset, working decoder box)

I play FPS games:
- Fortnite (PC)
- Call of duty (PS4)

I want to be able to hear detailed directional audio (surround) and accurate positional distance. What do I need? Would a headset just be an easy solution?
For console gaming you have everything you need, you may want to add a microphone if you play with friends. For PC gaming there is a ton of USB devices that will provide the experience that you need however it would be very helpful if you told us your desired budget.

May 13, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #40,175 of 48,562
Just had my car rear window smashed, and my hatchback damaged. Guess who just worked this week and then some essentially for free? THIS GUY.

Don't ever let anyone tell you that everything happens for a reason.

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #40,176 of 48,562
So I know this thread is very much a ‘surround’ orientated conversation, but just wondered anyone’s opinion on using a more traditional dac/amp for gaming?
I experimented with a SMSL entry level dac and found the stereo results to be really good with wide soundstage cans (DT990, HD598), and I’m curious how others feel about this vs a surround option. I also currently own a creative x7 which o do enjoy a lot it has to be said.
Heard great things about the mayflower ARC for gaming for example?

May 13, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #40,177 of 48,562
So I know this thread is very much a ‘surround’ orientated conversation, but just wondered anyone’s opinion on using a more traditional dac/amp for gaming?
I experimented with a SMSL entry level dac and found the stereo results to be really good with wide soundstage cans (DT990, HD598), and I’m curious how others feel about this vs a surround option. I also currently own a creative x7 which o do enjoy a lot it has to be said.
Heard great things about the mayflower ARC for gaming for example?

I also used an entry level SMSL (793) for a while and also then moved to the X7. While there's no comparison in feature set I also feel the surround options of the X7 take it to another level for games audio wise. Couldn't go back for PS4 gaming now - just as well really as I needed something to justify the additional £200+ outlay!!

May 13, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #40,178 of 48,562
I also used an entry level SMSL (793) for a while and also then moved to the X7. While there's no comparison in feature set I also feel the surround options of the X7 take it to another level for games audio wise. Couldn't go back for PS4 gaming now - just as well really as I needed something to justify the additional £200+ outlay!!

Agree to a point, guess I just have the bug of wanting something better!
In my experience the sound from a stereo dac/amp was just cleaner and more ‘pure’, I found anyway.
Anyone have any experience with the Mayflower ARC for gaming? Or regularly use a stereo dac/amp and have any thoughts?

May 13, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #40,179 of 48,562
I'm sure many already know about this A3D:

My goodness, can I get my audio to sound this good? LOL (I know the history of this company with creative).

Btw it seems that majority just have the X7 for gaming and although it is expensive, for gaming, I'm assuming its the best we have to work with.

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #40,180 of 48,562
Agree to a point, guess I just have the bug of wanting something better!
In my experience the sound from a stereo dac/amp was just cleaner and more ‘pure’, I found anyway.
Anyone have any experience with the Mayflower ARC for gaming? Or regularly use a stereo dac/amp and have any thoughts?
This is the the cheapest good dac/amp with a mic input

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009...syba+sonic&dpPl=1&dpID=41b40B9qQCL&ref=plSrch

The mayflower arc is god tier though.

May 13, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #40,181 of 48,562
I'm sure many already know about this A3D:

My goodness, can I get my audio to sound this good? LOL

Btw it seems that majority just have the X7 for gaming and although it is expensive, for gaming, I'm assuming its the best we have to work with.

Aureal 3D? New one to me?
Vaguely remember something with a similar name a few years back, but my memory is pretty awful .
For the record - I think the x7 is pretty good for what it is, was just curious if anyone used stereo and preferred or if anyone had gone back to a stereo solution after using x7/mixamp?

May 13, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #40,182 of 48,562
Vaguely remember something with a similar name a few years back, but my memory is pretty awful .
For the record - I think the x7 is pretty good for what it is, was just curious if anyone used stereo and preferred or if anyone had gone back to a stereo solution after using x7/mixamp?
For a long time, I stopped using the X7 and just went stereo. I didn't get back in to virtual surround gaming until very recently. Not because I all the sudden preferred stereo, but because I was tired of using big boy headphones and connecting them to gear. I did a LOT of my gaming this past year just with the ps4 controller headphone jack and the Koss KSC75/Sportapro. I just wasnt into 'gaming' in the audio sense that much anymore. I was mainly just using my tv speakers.

That being said, if I'm gonna use big headphones and connecting them to gear, there's no excuse for me to not use virtual surround. I know it's weird coming from me, but I'm more about picture fidelity more than audio nowadays.

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #40,183 of 48,562
The Aureal tech demo sounds pretty good, but it's pretty much what ImI used to with the tried and true vss solutions, just a bit higher virtual speaker placement. It's definitely good though.

May 13, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #40,184 of 48,562

The company was back in the 90's early 00's which were sued by creative and although creative lost the lawsuit, A3D still went bankrupt. A3D was apparently years ahead of its time for audio.

May 14, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #40,185 of 48,562

Equalizer APO, Hesuvi and VoiceMeter as a combination will allow you to add Sennheiser GSX 1000 ( or SBX Pro, CMSS, Razor,the standard 48 heads and a lot of other options) like surround sound to any Amp and DAC. The main drawback of doing so is the stack of software required. Windows volume control will no longer work as VoiceMeter/Virtual cable is involved. It is still a solution that can get you unhindered sound for music and let you try all the surround options to find the best match for you. Work OK on my modi/magni setup but ultimately the drawbacks of the software had me back with the Sennheiser GSX 1000 and magni just for the convenience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back