Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 22, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #40,066 of 48,560
Dolby Atmos Headphone is a no brainer on Xbone... 15 dollars and you can output it via optical. Easy Peazy! I’m sure Sony could do it if they weren’t so caught up with their own headsets.
If Sony did it, it would solve my conundrum on how to get VSS out from both PS4 and XB1 into a single DAC/AMP/HP chain with no switches or anything. Right now I’ve taken a theoretical downgrade on my PS4 Pro (which I only play exclusives on) just to have the rest of my system ‘just right’.

I’m using Atmos for Headphones on X1X and stereo on PS4 Pro through HDMI into my TV (then optical to Mimby->Magni3->HD700) since it’s better overall than 5.1 from both into a Mixamp that doesn’t handle the HD700 very well and has worse VSS than the $15 Dolby Atmos for Headphones plug-in.

One can dream.

Apr 23, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #40,067 of 48,560
I'm hoping Sony will get the drift for the PS5 and offer something similar. I'd like to be able to use a regular headphone amp/dac, or even have a virtual surround when plugged straight into a controller. It's about that time.

Apr 24, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #40,068 of 48,560
I still need to hear a demo of a DSP with height cues. No virtual surround does height as far as the ones I've tested. The only time I heard height cues is from pre-recorded binaural audio.

The first one to do it for video games, will blow my mind.
The PSVR does height cues. Did you play Resident Evil VII? There's a scene where you fight a big insect-like, gooey, too-many eyes monster that you only find in RE games, and the monster fights you in a two story shed with water flooding the first floor. Holes get punched through the boundary of the first and second floor, the monster can swim under the water, and you have to go on the different floors so you can shoot weak points from different angles. It's an awesome fight, even more awesome when you hear it pound, rasp, or splash from a particular direction.
O_O

Even though you have floaty-arms that don't connect to a body, that is a MUST PLAY game, even without motion sticks. Even on my launch PS4, the audio and graphics do a fanTASTIC job of setting atmosphere and mood, smooth playability. Speaking of atmosphere... it's not IMO heart-stompingly scary, for anyone who is afraid of being afraid. There's only two or three jump-scares, and the scariest moment of the whole game for me was right near the beginning: the loud click as I opened the first door in the dark! I had myself psyched out, trying to be really stealthy so nothing would find me, and the sudden noise startled me into thinking I'd just given myself away. Truly, you are your own worst enemy when it comes to fear. If you play with the controller, the gun aims right at the center of where your eye is looking, making for some badass reaction and headshot moments! PC mouse and keyboard got NOTHING on shooting things from your eyes!

Dissapointing if true, haven't tested it because I naturally just connect the Philips Dolby Headphone Device to the PS4 at night.
Wondering why Sony is sleeping on these. Horizon and Uncharted have 3D Audio support, albeit only for their headets. Ironically you can activate (only tested HZD) the 3D Audio if you have the PSVR enabled and connect your headset to the corresponding output.
Do you have to turn on the PSVR and switch to VR mode to do this? If I understand you, what you're doing is turning on the HMD but watching the TV output... what do you do for best picture quality in this situation?

I wonder if your trick works with The Last of Us Remastered.

Oh... man... I just imagined hooking up the inline headphone jack to the back of my HDV 820, balanced out to my HD 800. Squee! I gotta try that!

Apr 24, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #40,070 of 48,560
I don't have PSVR and I don't do horror games lol. I'm a child when it comes to video games scaring the heck outta me.

Apr 25, 2018 at 2:13 AM Post #40,071 of 48,560
Have picked up a paid of AKG K712Pro in the last day or so which have taken over as my gaming set from the Fidelio X2s I have. Also have a VModa Boompro with a mini XLR adaptor to turn the AKGs into a quality 'headset'.

Seriously tempted to pick up a Creative X7 and BT-W2 today now for my PS4 Pro occasional use also on my One X. Real question I guess is is the X7 a decent match with the AKGs and is it a worthwhile upgrade to the SMSL 793 DAC/Amp I currently use. I appreciate the addition of the surround processing and a lot of additional functionality but hoping on a general audio quality improvement also to justify the outlay??

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 4:20 AM Post #40,072 of 48,560
I agree on RE7's audio, it's very well made and I don't know if Monster Hunter is using the same tech but hopefully Capcom adds this as a default option from here on.

Unfortunately i am unable to play RE7 on VR as it really scares me and I have to cheapen the immersion by talking crap or singing. We even played with friends and once they got into the VR immersion they were detached from us. Quite amazing. :D

Do you have to turn on the PSVR and switch to VR mode to do this? If I understand you, what you're doing is turning on the HMD but watching the TV output... what do you do for best picture quality in this situation?

I wonder if your trick works with The Last of Us Remastered.

Oh... man... I just imagined hooking up the inline headphone jack to the back of my HDV 820, balanced out to my HD 800. Squee! I gotta try that!

No, since HZD only supports cinema mode (more like the PSVR defaults to cinema mode because HZD is not a VR game) you don't need to look into the googles, just leave it on, continue playing on the TV as usual.
Sony really dropped the ball with the external box. Should have added headphone input for the case people simply want to use it for their headphones and enjoy Sony's speaker room or 3D Audio on their supported titles.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #40,073 of 48,560
We have RE7 on one PC here at the office, and I'll be completely honest that I don't like playing with the lights off. Joe, on the other hand, loves horror and has played in the dark for hours. I will say that I'm a bit annoyed that RE7 VR isn't out out for PC yet. The one year PS4 exclusive has already ended, and I wish we could download it so Joe, as the only fear-lover here, could try it.

I think I'll stick to Skyrim and Overwatch at the office. :)

Apr 25, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #40,074 of 48,560
Am interested in a really good setup for my Xbox One X, and I have had all sort of turtle beaches, astros and etc. And am not pleased at all with how they sound. I want really great quality sound and want to feel like am in the game, on the high end spectrum that are not too expensive but also not too cheap, and how to set it up, so it can work with a modmic. I have read the list that was posted, but am also looking for any suggestions from people that know more than I do, and then I can take those suggestions and see which one I fancy best. Thank you for this thread, and all the information provided by other. Am new to this forum, and hoping to see what headsets and setup is best. Thank you.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #40,075 of 48,560
My personal opinion is Xbox is kinda tough. I think most would say the Soundblaster X7 is the best surround capable amp/Dac. I use a MixAmp TR (I don’t have that metallic sound some complain of) which gets rid of the extra cable needed for chat like the MixAmp Pro 2013. Competitively I will use ATH AD-700X with a mod mic. For most of the time I have Phillips Fidelio X1 with VModa boom pro. I also dabble with Monoprices’s M1060 when I’m feeling a planar. The mixamp will drive harder phone like the HD650/6xx but those aren’t great for gaming and I’ve actually double amped with a small portable amp just because people tell me I have to amp that.

Apr 25, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #40,076 of 48,560
My personal opinion is Xbox is kinda tough. I think most would say the Soundblaster X7 is the best surround capable amp/Dac. I use a MixAmp TR (I don’t have that metallic sound some complain of) which gets rid of the extra cable needed for chat like the MixAmp Pro 2013. Competitively I will use ATH AD-700X with a mod mic. For most of the time I have Phillips Fidelio X1 with VModa boom pro. I also dabble with Monoprices’s M1060 when I’m feeling a planar. The mixamp will drive harder phone like the HD650/6xx but those aren’t great for gaming and I’ve actually double amped with a small portable amp just because people tell me I have to amp that.

And which one of all the headsets you use, you like best? I was very interested in either Beyerdynamic or Sennheiser headsets, although I am still researching and asking which headset is best to get for the Xbox One X, and I concur with you, the Xbox is kinda of tough. Am just not pleased with any Turtle Beaches, or any Astros, I have had some Sony headsets and was not pleased with the sound. And am glad I joined this forum because now I can ask several people about their experiences and setups with headsets and amp and mic's. I also want to get this setup for myself and for my younger brother as a gift. And the Soundblaster X7 is great, thanks for letting me know.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #40,077 of 48,560
Sennheiser sent me the GSX 1000 headphone dac/amp. Very excited to test GSX surround to its fullest on my PC. I only heard GSX through the HeSuVi plug in, which didn't have all the nuances of the real thing, like reverb adjustments, and front/back emphasizing.

That and I'll just be happy to lay in bed with the GSX1000 next to me for my Koss clip ons overnight on my days off. :ksc75smile:

Apr 26, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #40,079 of 48,560
I would love to get me a Grado headset PS2000E or PS1000E (and getting a Grado amp) but it would be a waste to get these headsets since they will need an amp and etc, but at the moment that is way too over my budget, LoL. Am very interested in the beyerdynamic dt 990 premium 32 ohm but I do not know which ohm to get for the Xbox One X? And which amp to get to work with these headsets on my Xbox One X? The Soundblaster X7 is great but will wait and compare it to the Grado Reference RA1 Headphone AMP MODEL A/C, when I decide to get a Grado headset. I will continue reading the list that Mad Lust Envy posted, at the moment am leaning towards the beyerdynamic dt 990 premium from what I am reading in that list.

Apr 26, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #40,080 of 48,560
I would love to get me a Grado headset PS2000E or PS1000E (and getting a Grado amp) but it would be a waste to get these headsets since they will need an amp and etc, but at the moment that is way too over my budget, LoL. Am very interested in the beyerdynamic dt 990 premium 32 ohm but I do not know which ohm to get for the Xbox One X? And which amp to get to work with these headsets on my Xbox One X? The Soundblaster X7 is great but will wait and compare it to the Grado Reference RA1 Headphone AMP MODEL A/C, when I decide to get a Grado headset. I will continue reading the list that Mad Lust Envy posted, at the moment am leaning towards the beyerdynamic dt 990 premium from what I am reading in that list.
I can't comment too much on other options, but I will say that the Sennheiser x Massdrop PC37X is only a 50 Ω headset with good sensitivity, so doesn't need much in the amping department. It does reward good-resolving DACs though, and you wouldn't need a modmic because it's a headset with a really good microphone built-in. Sennheiser also has three models in the GSP line, I haven't personally tried them, but they're even lower impedance at 28 Ω.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back