Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 19, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #39,871 of 48,561
The Tritton AX720 has a cable that breaks away and reveals 3.5mm input for use with other headphones (at least the ones I've tested years ago). That will give you Dolby Headphone. I prefer that over the Recond3D's virtual surround. AGain, make sure you are WELL aware that virtual surround changes sound quality, and will make headphones not sound like headphones. If you've listened to the videos on the first page and thought they sounded good, they go ahead and give the AX720 a try.

You must make sure the device you get is being fed a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal. DTS or PCM will NOT work for proper virtual surround.
I ve got a PS4 and TV Sony , so a signal will go on optical. I really don't know if PS4 send signal in Dolby digital 5.1 or in DTS
P.s. and ax720 main problem is a cable that can be broken? Right? I understand you right? So if its broken or will broke I can't use ax720 with my headphones, right? Thanks

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #39,872 of 48,561
No, it has a break away. The puck can split in two, and reveals two 3.5mm jacks. One for audio, one for mics.
The PS4, you must go to sound options, make sure sound output is optical, and it's dolby digital 5.1.

edit: THIS thing, splits into two, at the bottom, where the two white lines are.

51HHRFPbfzL._AC_.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #39,873 of 48,561
No, it has a break away. The puck can split in two, and reveals two 3.5mm jacks. One for audio, one for mics.
The PS4, you must go to sound options, make sure sound output is optical, and it's dolby digital 5.1.

edit: THIS thing, splits into two, at the bottom, where the two white lines are.

51HHRFPbfzL._AC_.jpg

Oh, I understand , thanks.

And what Dolby headphone device you are using now for games?

Mar 19, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #39,874 of 48,561

51HHRFPbfzL._AC_.jpg

And when I plug it out I can use my normal (not turttle) headphones Jack in one of those 2 ports, right?

Mar 19, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #39,875 of 48,561
Mar 19, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #39,877 of 48,561
I second this. Videos on how to properly setup an X7, Mixamp, GSX, etc. and what settings work best for music, games or movies I think would help a lot of people. The diagrams in the first post are great, but nothing beats seeing how it's done in a well done video. Over the years I've used this thread as home base for any of my gaming audio related needs, and I'm sure many treat it as an invaluable resource as well. A full fledged YouTube channel based on this thread would be excellent.

Ah, you mean like mine, which got in the TENS of views? lol.
I think my problem was I also had some shyness going on, and too busy with my full-time job. So, I didn't put the videos out with any regularity. I managed to get videos out about the DSS (I have a DSS2 as well but it's essentially the same setup), Recon3D (with a call out to my Omni), Mixamp 5.8 (Not sure if I published my wired Mixamp footage), Sound Blaster X7, and an embarrassingly crappy one for my Yamaha receiver (which is easy to setup anyway, as it's just HDMI). I even bought an A16 in anticipation of making a video on that too. I think my X7 video was my best, but ironically I only just got it out before starting freelance work for Sennheiser, where any further videos of the kind I'd like to do would constitute a conflict of interest. It's still something I'm passionate about though, and maybe I can find out an impartial way to do a GSX 1000 review, but right now I'm vicariously using other people to get the word out :D

I was also thinking about doing a weekly Twitch stream (to begin with) where in a schedule, I can stream whatever game but be there to answer all your questions, play with you guys, etc.
Of course I don't exactly have a web camera so I'll have to look into stuff like that too. Be it one viewer or 100. In any case I need a web camera for youtube anyways.
PS Camera works fairly well, doesn't cost too much :wink: Visually, lighting is the most important deal. The PS Camera also solves some "How do I do a mic?" issues, if you aren't sitting real far back from the screen.

One thing I ran into was how long it took me to do a review. You may have done your Mobius and Stax reviews very fast, but that was also probably a convergence of having free time, inspiration, and it might have been the only thing on your mind at the time. Now that I'm on this side of things, I realize that most reviewers take a month or two to get used to gear and write. Now, if I give myself too much time, the review takes longer and picking it up on different days hurts the flow of the review. What I'd suggest, is maybe do an unboxing vid (short news update, whet the appetite), maybe take a day or two and make a brief first impressions write-up/video, continue listening and taking notes, make a news update video on something you care about (new game, news bite, personal journal moment), and maybe "full" reviews like once a month or every 3 months.

Keep in mind, a creative job is much more than just being creative. People do it every day, but you still gotta put in the effort and hours on the not-fun stuff: Invoicing, contacting vendors or advertising, website maintenance, email correspondence... overhead type stuff. It'll still feel like something you own and are making an achievement in effort, but that sense of accomplishment will also be Dark Souls style where there will be some frustrations and grinding-work along the way.

A while ago I bought Q701 based on the recommendations in the thread. Thanks a lot @Mad Lust Envy !
I have a questions now - would HD800 / HD800s be a noticeable upgrade from Q701 in terms of gaming?

I am using Creative Omni as a sound card, don't really listen to music on headphones (I have speakers for that), so HD800 would be for gaming. Price considerations aside - would there be any noticeable difference? I really just want more immersion + same wide soundstage and location pinpointing as with Q701.. Maybe there are better headphones for that than HD800? I can't do Stax though :D

Thank you
Stax need special amps in addition to your Omni, but most higher end headphones would benefit from amps better than what is built into the Omni anyway. The HD 800's stock cable certainly doesn't plug straight into the Omni...
Is the Sennheiser HD 800 noticeably different from the AKG Q701? It's not really fair for me to make comparisons. I will simply point out that, despite the higher cost, there are tons more reviews of the HD 800, and more experienced reviewers who can paint a more complete impression of the headphone's sound. I also have had the Q701, K712, and K612 for several years each (with many comments on them in this thread, over the years), and while the K612 is the only one I still own at home, it's probably been a year since it's had head-time. I've moved on. Meanwhile, I also just bought new pads and a new, shorter cable for my HD 800.

I'm hoping to get a chance to listen to the HD800 in some form for review. Perhaps some *cough*Sennheiser reps*cough* can hook up me with lending me the HD800 for reviewing. Though if for inexplicable reason, I don't like them, they can opt out of me reviewing them, and I'll just let you guyys know I wasn't feeling them. I have no doubt this won't be the case however. From everything I've read and heard about them, they should be the next logical upgrade/end game for people who loved the Q701/K702, etc.

What I'd like from Sennheiser for reviewing, though I really need to get other company products as well, as Sennheiser has a lot on my guide, lol.

HD800
HD800S
HD820? (whatever it's called)
GSX surround devices
GSP 500/600

Gesundheit.
(and yeah, the new $2,399 closed back headphone is called the HD 820).

There it is! Hoping to publish a press release for Head-Fi soon!

Mar 19, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #39,878 of 48,561
And when I plug it out I can use my normal (not turttle) headphones Jack in one of those 2 ports, right?

Yes. It is a standasrd headphone jack.

Oh, I understand , thanks.

And what Dolby headphone device you are using now for games?

I'm using SBX Surround from the Creative X7.

Mar 20, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #39,879 of 48,561
Ah, you mean like mine, which got in the TENS of views? lol.
I think my problem was I also had some shyness going on, and too busy with my full-time job. So, I didn't put the videos out with any regularity. I managed to get videos out about the DSS (I have a DSS2 as well but it's essentially the same setup), Recon3D (with a call out to my Omni), Mixamp 5.8 (Not sure if I published my wired Mixamp footage), Sound Blaster X7, and an embarrassingly crappy one for my Yamaha receiver (which is easy to setup anyway, as it's just HDMI). I even bought an A16 in anticipation of making a video on that too. I think my X7 video was my best, but ironically I only just got it out before starting freelance work for Sennheiser, where any further videos of the kind I'd like to do would constitute a conflict of interest. It's still something I'm passionate about though, and maybe I can find out an impartial way to do a GSX 1000 review, but right now I'm vicariously using other people to get the word out :D

PS Camera works fairly well, doesn't cost too much :wink: Visually, lighting is the most important deal. The PS Camera also solves some "How do I do a mic?" issues, if you aren't sitting real far back from the screen.

One thing I ran into was how long it took me to do a review. You may have done your Mobius and Stax reviews very fast, but that was also probably a convergence of having free time, inspiration, and it might have been the only thing on your mind at the time. Now that I'm on this side of things, I realize that most reviewers take a month or two to get used to gear and write. Now, if I give myself too much time, the review takes longer and picking it up on different days hurts the flow of the review. What I'd suggest, is maybe do an unboxing vid (short news update, whet the appetite), maybe take a day or two and make a brief first impressions write-up/video, continue listening and taking notes, make a news update video on something you care about (new game, news bite, personal journal moment), and maybe "full" reviews like once a month or every 3 months.

Keep in mind, a creative job is much more than just being creative. People do it every day, but you still gotta put in the effort and hours on the not-fun stuff: Invoicing, contacting vendors or advertising, website maintenance, email correspondence... overhead type stuff. It'll still feel like something you own and are making an achievement in effort, but that sense of accomplishment will also be Dark Souls style where there will be some frustrations and grinding-work along the way.

There it is! Hoping to publish a press release for Head-Fi soon!
Additional issue is those videos weren't linked on this thread next to devices they described so if someone wasn't specifically looking for them they wouldn't be able to find them. I think linking to them in the first post would really help the view count. Also, PS Camera can't be used on PC without some really crazy hacks so I in the long run a proper USB (or HDMI) camera would be nice.

Maybe do a stream review on twitch where you just play a game for a few hours using new gear and tell the viewers your thoughts and observations. Thing I found most difficult when writing reviews was turning a set of loose thoughts and observations into a concise text (you can tell by how chaotic all my writeups were).

Mar 20, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #39,880 of 48,561
Does anyone know of a company that makes affordable headphone cables to order?
I need them sleeved in nylon/cotton (basically cloth like) in any desired length (I need 4,5m or 15ft.) for headphones like the GSP600, HD598CS, HD599, HD700 and K7XX?
I tried Forza and they can make them all in the more expensive series but not in their affordable color series.

Mar 20, 2018 at 6:08 AM Post #39,881 of 48,561
Does anyone know of a company that makes affordable headphone cables to order?
I need them sleeved in nylon/cotton (basically cloth like) in any desired length (I need 4,5m or 15ft.) for headphones like the GSP600, HD598CS, HD599, HD700 and K7XX?
I tried Forza and they can make them all in the more expensive series but not in their affordable color series.
Mimic Cables

Mar 20, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #39,884 of 48,561
Hey guys would GSX1000 be worth it as an upgrade from Sound Blaster Omni? I have Q701 now.

I assume I would have to get O2 to plug GSX 1000 into it as well, so I wonder if GSX 1000 would provide a noticeable enough upgrade in terms of surround quality

Mar 20, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #39,885 of 48,561
Hi everyone,
I'm having trouble choosing between Audio Technica 700x and Sennheiser 598. Which one do you think I should buy ?

I'm partial to Senn but I never heard the AT allthough I owned a lot of woodies way back that I really loved.
I do like the Senn 598 variants of which I had 2. (there seem to be 3 or 4)

Hey guys would GSX1000 be worth it as an upgrade from Sound Blaster Omni? I have Q701 now.

I assume I would have to get O2 to plug GSX 1000 into it as well, so I wonder if GSX 1000 would provide a noticeable enough upgrade in terms of surround quality

I used to have a SB Recon 3D and like the GSX a lot better. I find it to perform really well for gaming audio without any hassle or configuration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back