Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 1, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #39,751 of 48,561
Just had a reply on twitter from Sennheiser in regards to bringing their GSX series to consoles (probably means nothing):

Hi there,
so I talked to one of our Product Managers.
The thing is yes, we are working on it, but it's currently not a priority.
the problem is though that the PS4 does not allow 7.1 over USB (and it does not do 7.1 in general only 5.1) you would need an optical input to achieve that which makes things quiet a bit more complicated.
I hope this generally answers your question a bit more in detail.
Best,
Monika

The other thing is royalty fees (per device) to Sony and/or Microsoft, since they would both need drivers and consoles are locked systems. Optical could solve things like in the past, but then they would need an entirely new logic board in the GSX and pay Dolby or DTS a licensing fee (which may be less than M$ and Sony, I don’t know).

Mar 1, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #39,752 of 48,561
The other thing is royalty fees (per device) to Sony and/or Microsoft, since they would both need drivers and consoles are locked systems. Optical could solve things like in the past, but then they would need an entirely new logic board in the GSX and pay Dolby or DTS a licensing fee (which may be less than M$ and Sony, I don’t know).

I know there would be fees to pay but what if they came up with a HDMI GSX (with 4K and HDR passthrough of course :)) that uses 7.1 pcm uncompressed. As this is neither a Dolby/ DTS signal, would there still be fees

Mar 1, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #39,753 of 48,561
I know there would be fees to pay but what if they came up with a HDMI GSX (with 4K and HDR passthrough of course :)) that uses 7.1 pcm uncompressed. As this is neither a Dolby/ DTS signal, would there still be fees
HDMI consortium charges for usage of HDMI so probably yeah.

Mar 1, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #39,755 of 48,561
Does anyone game with the Senn 6xx? If so are they worth gaming with ?
I did ask the same question and the common answer seems to be that they aren't recommended for gaming. I don't know much about sound and headphones but I do play a lot of FPS games and have been doing so for over 16 years. Also on a more "competitive" level. I ordered home both HD650 and HD700 so I could try them out. I played a few rounds CS:GO and Battalion 1944 with each pair and I had no issues at all pinpointing footsteps or hear how far/close people where with HD650. So I don't agree with people saying that gaming with HD650 will give you a disadvantage. Not at all. However I do think people find the HD700 to sound "better". I don't know the English word to describe it, but better in a more effectful(?) way. Probably because it has more bass and a larger soundstage. So I would guess that HD700 sounds better for most people. But not in a way that it gives you an advantage in-game over a HD650. You will still hear what you need to hear. But I only care about the practical part of the audio when I play and I'm also that guy that set all graphic settings to low for max performance. Also remember that is is my personal opinion so I would search around to see what other people think.

I ended up sending back both pairs. I could not stand the HD650 death grip even if I bent the metal part of the headband and stretched them over a pillow for a few nights. I would have kept them otherwise since I really like how they sounded. And HD700 because I realized that it was a lot of money when I don't care that much about "audio quality". Also not a big fan of the material they are using for the headband and the ear...things. I still haven't found the pair of headphones I'm looking after. I tried AKG K712 as well but they were too loose (I have a pretty narrow/small head) and also a pair of DT990 but they have a little bit too much bass for me and they don't fit very good. I sold a HD598 that I didn't use (because of comfort - suprise!) but I'm actually thinking about trying out HD599 again and see if the new headband does help. I think HD599 is close to what I'm looking for actually.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #39,757 of 48,561
The HD 6XX is an HD 650, and MLE has a review of the HD 650 on the first page.
A lot of gamers use the HD600/650 for gaming. Me too. It is very good for long sessions. And it works good with virtual surround.

Mar 3, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #39,758 of 48,561
A lot of gamers use the HD600/650 for gaming. Me too. It is very good for long sessions. And it works good with virtual surround.

Disregarding price, don’t you find the 6 series more suited for music and 7 and 8 better for gaming?
Of course, the 8 for both music and gaming.

Mar 3, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #39,759 of 48,561
Disregarding price, don’t you find the 6 series more suited for music and 7 and 8 better for gaming?
5 series was far better for gaming than the 6 series and was cheaper

Mar 3, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #39,762 of 48,561
Those are the new series, the old series milestones were the 540, 560 and 580 Precision, basically the predecessors of the 6 series.
These are indeed nice for gaming and they do well for music as well, I have the 598CS and 599 now but I had earlier ones before.
I'd prefer them a little over the 6 series for gaming as well. For music the 6 series are in a very diffferent league though.

Mar 3, 2018 at 7:26 AM Post #39,763 of 48,561
Yes you are correct the imaging is better on the HD700/800. But only in stereo mode. Once virtual surround comes into play, imho the advantage of the bigger brothers gets eliminated. But as of today, I use the GSP 600. For 250 € you get a lot, including angled drivers a very good mic and very good imaging.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #39,764 of 48,561
Yes you are correct the imaging is better on the HD700/800. But only in stereo mode. Once vitual surround comes into play, the advantage of the bigger brothers gets eliminated. But as of today, I use the GSP 600. For 250 € you get a lot, including angled drivers a very good mic and very good imagi

Yep, I have that one on preorder on your recommendation. :wink:

Mar 4, 2018 at 4:58 AM Post #39,765 of 48,561
Here is the new Sennheiser GSP 500 open headset:

Found a price of 199 GBP somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back