Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 23, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #42,331 of 48,561
I wish I could say, but in my system I can't get Atmos to work properly and I'm not confident I'm getting the actual experience. I really do need to reformat my PC completely.

Hey everyone i am just setting up Dolby Atmos for headphones and wondering if this is the best way to go. I Currently have the dt990's and debating on the sxfi amp or possibly the modius headsets. Any opinions or advice.

Also if i decide on sticking with Atmos should i invest in a decent amp/dac if so any recommendations i am currently using a syba sonic.

thanks again for the help

Apr 23, 2019 at 6:37 PM Post #42,333 of 48,561

Creative E5 starts at 4:56 if you're looking for the SBX part.
Ttbh he might as well have said that about GSX but I'm not cringeresistant enough to sit through an entire Zeos video so I can neither confirm nor disprove that.

@5:50 “Bass boost - which they call SBX - ...”
IMO, SBX is more than just a bass boost.

@8:21, he spam clicks the volume knob before moving on. Uh, just in case you didn’t get it from the video, that is how you mute/unmute the E5.

@9:25 Z revisits “the bass boost,” calling it a “spectrum destroying room effect with echo.” Ok, now he’s getting closer to describing it, but missed the purpose of it (Surround, or at least “in front of you” effect).

And in general, he doesn’t like the E5 because the “sound quality sucks.” That’s about it, other than a featured list.

I wish Z had been more specific about what he didn’t like about the sound quality, describe the signature beyond just mentioning the (noteworthy, but most obvious on one of the hardest to drive headphones in the industry) distortion, so that people could have their own opinion other than just relying on his. To dismiss SBX as just a bad “bass boost” misses the point, and I’ll repeat what I said in my old reviews that anyone who gets a creative product CAN and SHOULD use the customization settings. SBX is a many-featured DSP suite, you CAN customize it to just be a bass boost (that performs much better than stock), but the main reason why someone would consider an E5 (or G6) would be for gaming and the Surround processing.

I can’t really write reviews anymore (but maybe soon), but I can point to specific parts of old reviews of mine before I became an industry insider: If you look at my Creative reviews, I mentioned being happy that I could upgrade the X7’s opamps and said it made a significant difference, and in general I had some issues with treble harshness (maybe best with warm headphones? Back in the day, before upgrading my X7 opamps, I often used a tube amp, and made SURE I turned off Crystalizer etc.

Apr 23, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #42,334 of 48,561
What's the problem you are having with getting Atmos to work?

I think HeSuVi or the Equalizer APO or the V-cable programs/drivers even after having deleted them have affected Windows and its ability to get Sonic and Atmos to work.

Let's say Atmos was Creative SBX. Enabling Atmos on, is like turning SBX to the surround setting of like....5 out of a 100. The change is so subtle, it just doesn't feel like it's actually doing what it's supposed to. Same with Sonic.

While I tested HeSuVi back in the day, its Atmos actually felt like a real surround dsp, so I have to believe the real experience is supposed to be closer to that.

I just REALLY don't want to go through the hassle of a complete reformat to wipe the system of any deeply seeded driver problems.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #42,335 of 48,561
@5:50 “Bass boost - which they call SBX - ...”
IMO, SBX is more than just a bass boost.

@8:21, he spam clicks the volume knob before moving on. Uh, just in case you didn’t get it from the video, that is how you mute/unmute the E5.

@9:25 Z revisits “the bass boost,” calling it a “spectrum destroying room effect with echo.” Ok, now he’s getting closer to describing it, but missed the purpose of it (Surround, or at least “in front of you” effect).

And in general, he doesn’t like the E5 because the “sound quality sucks.” That’s about it, other than a featured list.

I wish Z had been more specific about what he didn’t like about the sound quality, describe the signature beyond just mentioning the (noteworthy, but most obvious on one of the hardest to drive headphones in the industry) distortion, so that people could have their own opinion other than just relying on his. To dismiss SBX as just a bad “bass boost” misses the point, and I’ll repeat what I said in my old reviews that anyone who gets a creative product CAN and SHOULD use the customization settings. SBX is a many-featured DSP suite, you CAN customize it to just be a bass boost (that performs much better than stock), but the main reason why someone would consider an E5 (or G6) would be for gaming and the Surround processing.

I can’t really write reviews anymore (but maybe soon), but I can point to specific parts of old reviews of mine before I became an industry insider: If you look at my Creative reviews, I mentioned being happy that I could upgrade the X7’s opamps and said it made a significant difference, and in general I had some issues with treble harshness (maybe best with warm headphones? Back in the day, before upgrading my X7 opamps, I often used a tube amp, and made SURE I turned off Crystalizer etc.

Oof, yeah. That is a definite point of contention that I would bring up and probably get spam downvoted on Reddit for. LOL

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #42,336 of 48,561
No matter how folks feel about Zeos, he's got a point from time to time!

Apr 23, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #42,337 of 48,561
Apr 23, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #42,338 of 48,561
I just REALLY don't want to go through the hassle of a complete reformat to wipe the system of any deeply seeded driver problems.
I hear ya buddy!
Oof, yeah. That is a definite point of contention that I would bring up and probably get spam downvoted on Reddit for. LOL
I have a hard time getting into Reddit. Lots of people wanting to tell jokes, which is fine, but also trash talking on a whole ‘nother level from what we used to do back in Halo 3 and CoD4 lobbies!

Hey old man, where you been!?
He’s come to America! Living in LA currently, might move to Austin?

Apr 23, 2019 at 7:07 PM Post #42,339 of 48,561
I think HeSuVi or the Equalizer APO or the V-cable programs/drivers even after having deleted them have affected Windows and its ability to get Sonic and Atmos to work.

Let's say Atmos was Creative SBX. Enabling Atmos on, is like turning SBX to the surround setting of like....5 out of a 100. The change is so subtle, it just doesn't feel like it's actually doing what it's supposed to. Same with Sonic.

While I tested HeSuVi back in the day, its Atmos actually felt like a real surround dsp, so I have to believe the real experience is supposed to be closer to that.

Yeah I've been putting off reformatting for years now. Used to do it every 6 months or so back in the 98 days.

I noticed that too when testing out HeSuVi on the Mobius without switching it to one of the stereo modes. It seems that one surround effect almost cancels out another.

I'm not familiar with V-cable (is it like a patch bay for Windows audio, allowing you to route audio wherever instead of just to one output? I might have used it years ago) But I did try out Equaliser Apo, I remember disabling it with the tick box near the top because I didn't want it to do anything, I only wanted to try out the different HeSuVi renditions. The tick box was still unchecked when I uninstalled it and I have no issues. Maybe reinstalling it and disabling it before uninstalling it might do the trick?

Apr 23, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #42,340 of 48,561
Hey old man, where you been!?

I never really left really. I've still been music focused, just didn't have the budget nor resources to explore much lately... Life happens and what not.

Anyway I am temporarily in LA and as Evs pointed out might move to Austin temporarily as well, but I'd much rather continue my travel up North if circumstances allow.

But yes, headphones! There're plenty on my radar I'd love to hear and a couple I'd love to have a more extended listen with :p

Hope you're doing good as well, old dog!

Apr 24, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #42,341 of 48,561
You can make it a bit less of a hassle by installing Chocolatey. It won't magically move all your data but it will at least automate software provisioning.

Apr 24, 2019 at 4:28 AM Post #42,342 of 48,561
If you have Black Ops 4 (it's a free demo until April 30) its Theater Mode is actually pretty neat for testing VSS. It's a replay function that maintains all surround channels in the gameplay, and it has a freecam mode where the audio POV follows the freecam. (Unlike, from what I can tell, Xbox's or Window's DVR function.)

I was, for example, able to definitively confirm Windows Sonic is still useless unless your media/game has an Atmos mix. Yay.

Apr 24, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #42,343 of 48,561
I have not seen this covered objectively and extensively before:

Has anybody measured in-game sound latency with various drivers, virtualizers and sound-cards?

I know there can be quite a bit of difference in delay, just based on my experience with different Kmixer/ASIO/DirectX -pathways in Windows alone.

Adding CPU based processing (Perhaps several different ones like EQ, VSS, etc as a chain) could in theory add quite a bit of delay into the sound.

Now, how much is this delay? I don't know. I'd like to see measurements.

Does this delay matter? We don't really know for sure, I can't find proper objective scientific papers on the subject, but I'd surmise that once we start to go well beyond 60ms, there is at least the possibility of sound/video sync mismatch, not to mention losing out on possible early audible cues in 3D GPS games.

So, has anybody seen these measured? Just basic Signal sent to Voltage outputted (via the soundcard) measurements?

Apr 24, 2019 at 6:17 AM Post #42,344 of 48,561
I have not seen this covered objectively and extensively before:

Has anybody measured in-game sound latency with various drivers, virtualizers and sound-cards?

I know there can be quite a bit of difference in delay, just based on my experience with different Kmixer/ASIO/DirectX -pathways in Windows alone.

Adding CPU based processing (Perhaps several different ones like EQ, VSS, etc as a chain) could in theory add quite a bit of delay into the sound.

Now, how much is this delay? I don't know. I'd like to see measurements.

Does this delay matter? We don't really know for sure, I can't find proper objective scientific papers on the subject, but I'd surmise that once we start to go well beyond 60ms, there is at least the possibility of sound/video sync mismatch, not to mention losing out on possible early audible cues in 3D GPS games.

So, has anybody seen these measured? Just basic Signal sent to Voltage outputted (via the soundcard) measurements?
Battlenonsense has a video about that.

Apr 24, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #42,345 of 48,561
Considering the latency my display has, it can't be a simple thing to measure in terms of what is acceptable and what isn't, since visual information being tied to audio information is gonna be very different on a per user basis. I'd assume it'd have to be in the real of 40ms to be mostly synced on most displays.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back