Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 16, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #42,301 of 48,561
Thanks! I picked them up partially based on your suggestion from an early post I did in computer audio. I have ordered an SMSL M100 and a Liquid spark. I was really back and forth between that and the jds atom but i needed some cables so the spark saved me a few bucks. Any suggestion on spdif or usb for the M100?
I usually order all my cables from Monoprice.

Apr 16, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #42,302 of 48,561
I feel maybe I may have to start really looking into how I describe bass, because it seems my ears have changed from so many years before.

Deep, linear bass is pretty good to my ears, but I need to be more careful in describing that as bassy, since typical dynamic bass heavy headphones have that mid bass hump that is totally different from that, and I could see that coming from that, the Mobius wouldn't be 'bassy'.

I could understand how linear and deep =\= enough bass. Back in the day, I would've thought that wasn't enough bass.

I updated the review in sections referring to the bass to be more clear on what to expect, which is not a bass heavy, bass fuelded headphones.

Also added a snippet on battery life in the bluetooth section, as well as fixed some formatting errors.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #42,303 of 48,561
Back in the opening hours of the Mobius thread there was some hinting at a console version of the Mobius. Any updates on this?

Apr 17, 2019 at 4:09 AM Post #42,304 of 48,561
I would get the HyperX version with better mic for $300.

Apr 17, 2019 at 4:17 AM Post #42,305 of 48,561
I feel maybe I may have to start really looking into how I describe bass, because it seems my ears have changed from so many years before.

Deep, linear bass is pretty good to my ears, but I need to be more careful in describing that as bassy, since typical dynamic bass heavy headphones have that mid bass hump that is totally different from that, and I could see that coming from that, the Mobius wouldn't be 'bassy'.

I could understand how linear and deep =\= enough bass. Back in the day, I would've thought that wasn't enough bass.

I updated the review in sections referring to the bass to be more clear on what to expect, which is not a bass heavy, bass fuelded headphones.

Also added a snippet on battery life in the bluetooth section, as well as fixed some formatting errors.

I think your analysis regarding bass is spot on. However, the treble is unbareble for me. It is very shouty. It's not that it is to bright, and I´m no audiophile, but the presence region makes it completly unlistenable for me. Thats a shame, because I generally love the Audeze headphones.

Apr 17, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #42,307 of 48,561
Hi MLE!

I only recently got into headphones and my first fairly decent pair is Hifiman Sundara. I really like them but out of curiosity I’m looking for alternatives.

Have you tried Hifiman Sundara headphones? To my understanding Sundara is sort of successor to H400 but I hear people saying they aren’t really that similar. How close do you think Sundara and H400 are to each other in terms of how they sound?

While I like these very much sometimes I feel like bass could be somewhat deeper. I mainly intend to use headphones for music and single player games where immersion is top priority. Being able to pinpoint exact direction of steps etc is really not that important.

I’m interested in Audeze LCD-2. From your review and what I’ve read elsewhere it sound like LCD-2 might be worth trying. Do you think these might be good headphones for me for the forementioned purpose? If you’ve tried Sundara do you think these headphones would compliment each other or are they similar enough that it really isn’t worth it owning both of them?

Also is your review of LCD-2 of the first revision or the one with fazor elements? If you’ve experience with both revisions do you think they sound different to each other?

Apr 17, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #42,308 of 48,561
I think your analysis regarding bass is spot on. However, the treble is unbareble for me. It is very shouty. It's not that it is to bright, and I´m no audiophile, but the presence region makes it completly unlistenable for me. Thats a shame, because I generally love the Audeze headphones.
I think that is mainly a subjective thing, as doing frequency tests, I didn't find anything sticking out too much, other than 3.2khz (which I could see being a problem for people) and I believe 8.5khz which still wasn't anything I'd find too hot.

Hi MLE!

I only recently got into headphones and my first fairly decent pair is Hifiman Sundara. I really like them but out of curiosity I’m looking for alternatives.

Have you tried Hifiman Sundara headphones? To my understanding Sundara is sort of successor to H400 but I hear people saying they aren’t really that similar. How close do you think Sundara and H400 are to each other in terms of how they sound?

While I like these very much sometimes I feel like bass could be somewhat deeper. I mainly intend to use headphones for music and single player games where immersion is top priority. Being able to pinpoint exact direction of steps etc is really not that important.

I’m interested in Audeze LCD-2. From your review and what I’ve read elsewhere it sound like LCD-2 might be worth trying. Do you think these might be good headphones for me for the forementioned purpose? If you’ve tried Sundara do you think these headphones would compliment each other or are they similar enough that it really isn’t worth it owning both of them?

Also is your review of LCD-2 of the first revision or the one with fazor elements? If you’ve experience with both revisions do you think they sound different to each other?

Sorry, I haven't heard the Sundara.

The pairs of LCD2s I reviewed and the one I bought afterward were both pre-fazor. I don't know how close the LCD2C comes to that sound, so I can't say, but yes. The bass on the old LCD2 is absolutely GLORIOUS. Probably the best bass out of any headphone I've heard.

The Edition XX has a good amount of bass itself, though I do feel the LCD2's bass was more aggressive and in your face.

I loved the LCD2. Hurt the neck, but I loved it. LOL

If I could own one, I would.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #42,309 of 48,561
This is the updated, finalized review of the Mobius. I know the early impressions exist here and other places of head-fi, but this is the update, which will be added to the guide. Special thanks to @Audeze, and @KMann, for the patience and the pair used for review.

I've unhidden/removed the spoiler tags per special request, as some people may not notice the review was hidden.

This will be added to the first page of my guide immediately.

----------
----------

Audeze Mobius

wl50tt.jpg

Final Impressions:

Had Audeze released a barebones headset, that didn't have surround, headtracking, or even wireless capabilities, the Mobius would STILL get a full recommendation from me. Based off sound quality alone, I was instantly enamored by the Mobius. Audeze specifically asked for general concerns or advice for them on what I think needs fixing. I told them that I honestly wouldn't change a THING of its sonic traits. I mean, speaking purely in terms of sound signature and quality, the Mobius is 100% READY to go. I do NOT want anything about its inherent sound changed whatsoever.

How can I give critical feedback to a product I can find no real fault in?

It's been quite a while since the Mobius released from the early impressions I posted online. In the end, I didn't find I had to change much of anything from back then. The noise floor issues have been fixed, the glitches have been ironed out. The Mobius is the complete, feature-rich, package.

I don't even want to begin trying to understand how Audeze was capable of cramming so much into a product like this that isn't worth a zillion dollars. I don't wanna know, I don't wanna ask. All I know is that it exists, and you absolutely should get it. Even if JUST for the Bluetooth, I'd argue for it.

No mention of the new ear pads? Doesn't the Mobius connect to the PS4 via USB?

Apr 19, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #42,310 of 48,561
No mention of the new ear pads? Doesn't the Mobius connect to the PS4 via USB?
I was informed of the new ear pads AFTER I posted the review. I had been holding on to the Mobius in storage for like a year, and realized recently the review wasn't posted on the guide (the final review), so I spent the weekend retesting it, and fleshing out the early impressions to make it final.

I hadn't tested the ps4 this weekend, but iirc, it will only be picked up as a generic usb device. You won't get the full experience unless you use it on PC.

Audeze told me they're sending me the new pads soon.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #42,312 of 48,561
Finally got the Modi 3, so I'm done with the Schiit M&M 3 stack, with the optical out from my Xonar U3 to the Modi 3 for Dolby Headphone and clean optical 24/96 signal when it suits my fancy, and usb for Modi 3 for stereo otherwise. Having just the Magni 3 hooked up to the G6 was triggering my OCD. Now my new issue is the lights aren't in the same place on the body of each. Why? Gah... That and there ain't an off switch, so I have to buy a usb cable that has an off toggle.

Before anyone asks, I didn't get the multibit because not only does it measure worse, but I only need an objectively good dac with transparency. The multibit treads on subjective preferences not objective ones. Not something I'd pay an extra $150 for. The thing I want to alter the sound is the headphones themselves not the source/amp.

Hell, I told myself I'd never buy another amp/dac since giving up all the older gear...

2gslr8y.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2019 at 11:57 PM Post #42,313 of 48,561
So I received one of those usb on/off dongles. They don't transmit data, so don't buy one for something like the GSX1000 or G6 where they get data and power through one usb. I would've liked for it to work with those as they are 'always on' even when my PC shuts off. Alas, doesn't work.

Thankfully, I mainly bought it for the Modi 3 (which has two usb inputs, one dedicated for just power), since the light on that thing illuminates the whole room, and needed a way to turn it off when not in use. But now I'll have to get all my audio information through my optical input, and no longer through the Modi's usb. Not a big deal since my Xonar U3 transmits 24/96 to it, so I'm fine with that.

2qk6muq.jpg

@illram Reddit is a scary, misinformed place. HAHAHAH.

Looks like people just simply try to pander to the communities to get upvotes instead of actually trying to learn something new. I had to stop replying.

I really do get agitated when people dismiss virtual surround as a gimmick. But I do know when to just let ignorance be.

Like the argument that headphones only have two speakers. Well, yeah, we only have two ears....

It's about the way our ears perceive audio, not whether there needs to be multiple actual physical devices around you to achieve surround. I talk about the concept of binaural audio, and still get downvoted... sigh.

It's like religion. People grow up knowing only one thing, that anything that defies that one particular mindset is wrong and should be ignored.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #42,315 of 48,561
@illram Reddit is a scary, misinformed place. HAHAHAH.

Looks like people just simply try to pander to the communities to get upvotes instead of actually trying to learn something new. I had to stop replying.

I really do get agitated when people dismiss virtual surround as a gimmick. But I do know when to just let ignorance be.

Like the argument that headphones only have two speakers. Well, yeah, we only have two ears....

It's about the way our ears perceive audio, not whether there needs to be multiple actual physical devices around you to achieve surround. I talk about the concept of binaural audio, and still get downvoted... sigh.

It's like religion. People grow up knowing only one thing, that anything that defies that one particular mindset is wrong and should be ignored.

Yeah it's frustrating; if consumers were more educated on this issue, these products would sell more, and we would ultimately have a more robust ecosystem of headphones and headphone VSS tech if there was a more lucrative marketplace for it. I am pleased to see that r/headphones has for the most part come around on this issue however. I think the release of the Mobius made a few converts. Hopefully the next gen of consoles (e.g. PS5) push more 3D audio and "force" more people to discover this wonderful technology. Atmos and Sonic not really working so well out of the gate was a big missed opportunity in that regard, I feel like.

The thing I will always wonder about is this "pro gamer" thing lots of people reference. Someone always brings this up, i.e. that they don't use it. Having never been into that scene I have never really verified that nor taken the time to figure out, if true, why it is true. Because as we in this thread now, if you have properly working VSS, it is objectively superior to stereo sound and this stuff about stereo providing better positioning is nonsense. (Whether the game provides it natively or whether you do it via some other solution is a different and irrelevant issue).

My suspicions are:
1. A lot of the pro scene is CS, which has its own VSS solution. So this is moot for that game. (Is the HRTF setting used in tournaments?) Related, a lot of other pro games don't really have a use for it, like LoL or Starcraft or whatever.
2. Product endorsement deals
3. Tournament rules banning the use of VSS equipment (?)
4. Practical reality of headphone use in loud tournaments (i.e. wearing endorsement headphones over iem's that they are actually using for audio)
4. Plain old stubbornness and fear of trying something new. This would be the least satisfying explanation as I would have expected someone to have figured this out by now and discovered how advantageous it is.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back