Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 15, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #42,287 of 48,562
That new Mixamp looks insane. I wonder if it's gonna do Dolby Atmos this time.

Edit: only states Dolby Audio on ps4, but clearly says Windows Sonic/Atmos on PC and XB1. That's confusing.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #42,288 of 48,562
Apr 15, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #42,292 of 48,562
This is the updated, finalized review of the Mobius. I know the early impressions exist here and other places of head-fi, but this is the update, which will be added to the guide. Special thanks to @Audeze, and @KMann, for the patience and the pair used for review.

I've unhidden/removed the spoiler tags per special request, as some people may not notice the review was hidden.

This will be added to the first page of my guide immediately.

----------
----------

Audeze Mobius

mobius01.jpg
$399 as of April 2019
Where to buy: Audeze, Amazon.com

Review as of April 2019's latest firmware and software updates

Review first posted HERE

Disclaimer: Update 7/7/2021: I've started my employment at Audeze as a Customer Service Rep. As this review was done prior to my employment, I will leave this review here and intact, but do not expect any future reviews for Audeze products. First look style articles, perhaps, but I can't in good conscience review a product for a company I work for.

First of many surprises, I do believe the Mobius is the world's first planarmagnetic "headset", world's first wireless/bluetooth planarmagnetic, and world's first internal head-tracking planarmagnetic headphone. Audeze is swinging for the fences with as many buzzwords you can fit into one extremely well designed package.

Build Quality:

To begin with, the Mobius stands apart from any Audeze planar I've personally seen. I would've expected another classic Audeze headphone: formal, fancily-dressed, laden with wood, heaviest of weights, and utterly behemoth in size. Instead, the Mobius came dressed like one would expect of a properly engineered bluetooth headphone, not in any way typical of Audeze.

Durable-looking plastic is its main ingredient (which I have zero problems with, mind you), likely to keep costs down to hit a specific price point.

Headband:

A standard plastic headband with the bottom dressed in very plush, uber comfortable faux-leather in the center. The size adjustment is fairly typical and akin to something you'd expect from Sennheiser, with a easy adjustment that clocks, but have no visible markings.

Cups:

The cups are oval-shaped, with a fully enclosed outer shell that house the power button, mic on/off, and power led indicator on the left outer cup; nothing on the right cup, though internally, I believe houses the battery (good for up to 10 hours of wireless playtime). The cups can lay flat for portable use/resting around the neck, and have enough swivel to fit any head shape. The bottom of the left cup is absolutely packed with all the interface you'll ever need: volume slider, microphone volume slider, aux/3.5mm input jack, usb type c input (for it's charging and PC audio side of things), microphone jack, and 3D button.

If that wasn't enough for you, the 3D button is a shortcut for other functions:

one button press: re-centers the headtracking of 3D mode
long press: toggles 3D on/off
double tap: switches from USB, AUX, Bluetooth

The mic volume slider also has shortcuts (subject to change). Pressing down on the volume slider switches from:

7.1 audio: PC picks up the Mobius as a 7.1 sound device. Use this if gaming/media playback and want to utilize the virtual surround capabilities properly

Stereo (formerly labeled as '2 channel'): Standard, PC picks this up as 2 channel...surprise. 16bit/48khz.

High Res: High fidelity two channel playback in 24bit/96khz. 3D button capabilites are disabled in this mode (no virtual surround or headtracking features).

Single press followed by sliding the mic volume up or down will change EQ presets:

Default, Footsteps, Ballistics, Music, Racing, RPG, Warm, Flat

The power button has shortcuts as well:

Long press when off: turns Mobius on
When on: long press: Bluetooth pairing mode
Holding it longer AFTER bluetooth pairing mode: turns the Mobius off

Ear Pads:

While some of you may know I'm not the biggest fan of faux-leather pads, Audeze has managed to give the Mobius a very ample amount of padding while minimizing surface contact area. The end result is that the Mobius sits comfortably on the skin, with an oval-shape opening, keeping the ears from bottoming out and pressing onto the drivers or pressing up against the pad walls. I'd like the skin contact area to be lined in cloth, velour or something similar (like Hifiman's focus pads), but that's just me.

Cables:

The Mobius comes with 3 basic cables: 6ft USB C to USB A, 6ft USB C to USB C, and 3.5ft 3.5mm aux audio cable. All your bases are covered here in terms of cables.

Final Build Impressions:

While the Mobius isn't the hefty beast one would expect of Audeze, it is made of some generally durable plastics that shouldn't offend anyone. The Mobius looks like it can take some moderate abuse, though why would you abuse planarmagnetic goodness like this?

Accessories:

Aside from the cables mentioned above, you get a boom microphone attachment. On the Audeze website, you have add-ons you can purchase for extra: a headphone stand ($24), and a carrying case ($39). I don't have the headphone stand , but I do have the carrying case.

Optional Carrying Case:

A black, clamshell carrying case with a zipper to open/close. The outside is tough and doesn't cave in to pressure easily. There is a nylon handle/strap for easy carrying.

The inside has a molded cutout to rest the Mobius in, as well as the top lid having a netted pouch that velcros shut, and clearance behind the lid and netted pouch where you can place other items in. All in all, a very nice case with rugged enough protection that I easily recommend for those wanting a case.

Update: (3/10/2020)
Cryo Pads (
buy on Audeze's website for $40 HERE):

I contacted Audeze a few weeks ago to see if they could send me a pair of cryo pads for testing, as well as an updated LCD-1 to see if they fixed the plug insertion problem I had on the review unit (thankfully, they did).

This one has been a long time coming, and I'm very late talking about it, but Audeze sells an optional pair of pads that instead of just memory foam inside of its protein leather exterior, the cryo pads instead use pads with gel filled material. I'll quote Audeze here as they essentially said all I needed to say. I'll include my own thoughts on these bullet points. The Cryo pads are...

• Dual-layer structure consisting of a memory foam base filled with professional-grade silicone gel, ensuring shape retention and heat reduction over extended gaming sessions!

Personally-speaking, the winter hasn't generally been too hot or cold here generally, and as far as heat-reduction between the stock pads and the cryo pads go, I haven't felt any major changes between them either positively nor negatively. That's not to say that there AREN'T benefits, but it's likely because I didn't really have any major issues with the stock pads to begin with. The Mobius has some of the best stock pads I've used that were protein-leather based. I'd say the cryo pads may make more of a difference during hotter temperatures, which I'll try and update during the hotter months of the year. As of right now, I don't have a particular preference in this regard. I think they're both really excellent.

• Malleable gel material adapts to the unique contours of your head, ensuring greater comfort - even with glasses on!

As far as shape retention goes, I think the cryo pads much more dense internals allow for better malleability around obstructions like glasses, and a variety of head shapes, so if you ever found yourself lacking seal with the stock pads, the cryo pads are the way to go. That being said, I didn't have any problems with the stock pads in terms of how it molded around my head, nor do I wear glasses. The stock pads do compress and bottom out quite a bit easier than the gel pads, so if you find yourself being constrained by the compression in the stock pads, the cryo pads may be exactly what you need.

• High-Grade Protein Leather looks and feels like organic leather.

I can't say much here as I already felt the stock pads looked and felt like really high quality leather pads. The same thing can be said of the cryo pads. While neither will dissuade me from preferring suede, velour, or other fabric type of pads, I really don't have a problem here. Audeze has managed to keep me from missing that type of material. I can wear the Mobius for hours a day without any major issues, whether I'm using either the stock or cryo pads.

• Easily replaceable so that you can change between standard and gel-filled earpads.

As stated, the Mobius, while having a proprietary mounting design on their pads that won't allow just any pads to be used (though you can finagle some pads on, like Shure's 1540 Alcantara pads), the Cryo pads simply snap on to the Mobius in the same way as the stock pads. There's not much to differentiate them aside from a difference in the driver cover having the new Audeze logo and an L/R indicator (both in an icy blue color), while the stock pads merely have L/R indicators.

To sum up my thoughts on the Cryo pads, at $40 I think they are a safe investment for anyone that has any comfort or fitment problems with the stock pads. I can't say if they are better or worse than the stock pads in terms of temperature control and long term comfort as I didn't have any issues with the stock pads.

As far as sound quality differences... this too is something I couldn't say was better or worse with any confidence. This is something I would consider a good thing, as I prefer pads NOT mess with the sound quality of a headphone. If anything, the sonic improvement may be for those who couldn't find a good seal with the stock pads, or felt the stock pads bottoming out and pushing the drivers right up to their ears. The cryo pads more or less ensures the drivers stay at a consistent distance whether during the first hour or a whole days' worth of gaming.

You can buy the cryo pads here on Audeze's website for $40, and it comes in all of the Mobius stock colors. Unfortunately for me, I was sent the grey colors, while I have the bronze Mobius. Oof. Lol.

Comfort:

Weight:

The Mobius is among the lightest planarmagnetic headphones I've personally tested, and generally a non-issue. I believe it is around 350g (correct me if I'm wrong please), which isn't the lightest headphone, though definitely light for a planar. I feel the weight is distributed well, and shouldn't pose a problem for most people.

Headband:

Headbands are either hit or miss in general, but I feel the Mobius is definitely on the right side of things, with ample cushioning, with no hot spots or sore spots even after many hours of use.

Ear Pads:

As mentioned earlier, I'm not generally a fan of faux-leather ear pads, but the shape, depth, and minimal skin contact surface, paired with the ample cushioning, makes the Mobius' ear pads quite comfortable, and amongst the best faux-leather ear pads I've tested. From memory I can't recall a better pair of faux leather ear pads in terms of comfort and keeping my ears cool.

Clamp:

I'd say the clamp on the Mobius falls under 'moderate' pressure. If anything, this may be the only area in comfort I'd personally want improved, as I prefer less pressure in general. I can see moderate clamp starting to cause minor aches during long listening sessions. Clamp is a highly debatable subject, and can easily fall under personal preference.

Overall Comfort Impressions:

The Mobius is in a range of comfort I'd consider quite good, despite personal preference of less clamp. Outside of clamp, the comfort easily lands in the spectrum between very good and great. I don't see many people having a problem with the Mobius whatsoever in terms of comfort. Even though my preference is fabric-covered pads, these fall under one of the best in comfort outside of my typical preferences.

Isolation/Leakage:

It's been a considerable amount of time since I've last played with a closed headphone of any kind, but I'd say the noise leak and noise isolation are absolutely good enough for my use. I couldn't see the Mobius being a problem to use in a quiet room, or in a loud environment.

Sound:

Undoubtedly the most important factor: How does the Mobius sound? Surely a headset packed with so many features at a lower than typical Audeze price-points would have to compromise in sound a bit? Well, I'm happy to say that if they sacrificed somewhere to bring us the Mobius, the sound definitely was not compromised.

Note: Default is the intended frequency response of the Mobius. As such, this will be the main setting used for this review. The other settings will alter the tonal balance of the Mobius in subtle, but various ways, which I'll leave for you guys to figure out. This would be 8 reviews if I spent time trying to write down the sound differences between each. If you like the inherent Mobius sound but want subtle tweaks, chances are there is a preset that may lean towards your preferences.

Bass:

The bass on the Mobius is what I absolutely expect of Audeze: This is some good bass. And not in the "bassheads, come out and play" type of way, though audiophilic bassheads may or may not find solace here. The bass immediately reminds me of the classic LCD-2 Rev. 2 bass. It is big, meaty, and well present, in a way that only planars are capable of, without the excess mid bass energy associated with basshead-friendly dynamic headphones. It reaches as low as deemed possible without any protest, with the deepest of rumbles and omnipresence. It hits with absolute, resolute, authoritative impact, but not overly so. Decay is medium-fast, texture is rich, and despite it's boldness, is actually completely linear with the midrange, where there is little in the way of invasiveness.

There is a little bit of excess warmth in the lowest regions of male speech where it can sound a bit growly, but otherwise, the bass is here to play with the rest of the sound instead of dominating over it. That being said, make absolutely NO mistake: It will absolutely, undeniably hit you in the face given the right music tracks. But that's when bass is called for and not whenever it feels like.

Doing frequency checks: I felt the presence even down to 25hz, with no degree of weakeness all the way to the midrange. The bass is intoxicating and meaty enough to satisfy all who love bass, unless you want dronish, one note affairs, or those who don't put as much importance as the midrange or upper end sparkle.

Midrange to Treble:

Oh what a lovely, juicy, fluid midrange it is. The midrange is upfront and center, with a tonal quality as realistic as any I've heard. Easily amongt the very best midranges I've heard. It's absolutely wonderful. Male speech, as mentioned before can have an overactive lower octave, but only slightly. In general, everything about the midrange to me is lifelike and engrossing, with a focused presence. It just sounds...correct, to my ears.

You would think that despite having said how linear the curve seems to be on the Mobius, I've mentioned how meaty and impactful the bass is, and how focused, fluid, and lifelike the midrange is, leaving one to assume that the treble likely took a backseat, leaving the Mobius as a warm, overly smooth sounding headphone. Well, that simply isn't true. The treble is absolutely present and clean sounding, despite it not being too highlighted. It maintains a very fine balance with the bass and midrange, where one would think the treble is basically on par with either. To my ears, the treble is quite present yet just a hint (A HINT) south of absolute neutrality. What I mean by that is that it's very close to complete balance with the bass and midranges, but has some cleverly tucked in regions that soften the impact of annoying treble ranges, and highlights the best regions that add clarity and sparkle, like 10khz.

One would say it's neutral treble and I wouldn't disagree. This absolutely is NOT the LCD2 of old. There is an undeniable treble presence here, and it's at a level that I'd consider incredibly well balanced. I'd say that had it not been for the strength of the bass on the Mobius, it would be a deadlock between all ranges. To my ears, the treble is just expertly balanced here. No glaring peaks, sibilance, or overly glossed over sections of stuffy, blanketed treble.

Frequency check: Peak prominence at 3.2khz, biggest recession points at 6khz and 7khz, but not overly so. Mid to treble ranges are generally detailed and present, and upper treble at 8.5khz is the strongest point after 3.2khz, but not super hot. 10khz sparkle is present but not over-emphasized. In short, Audeze has a very desirable frequency balance that is neither too soft, nor too bright. I've heard much more expensive headphones with much worse frequency balance control. Audeze did very well here.

Soundstage:

Stereo mode, 3D off:

Soundstage, as always is not something I pay particular attention to when using headphones in stereo (as opposed to when I use them with any form of virtual surround, which the Mobius DOES have as an option.) That being said, I review soundstages in their pure, untouched, stereo forms. Only two closed planars really surprised me in terms of soundstage: the MrSpeakers Alpha Dog, and Ether C. The Mobius has good depth, good height, average width to my ears. I feel the Mobius has particularly excellent frontal projection, despite an average size soundstage typical of closed headphones and planars in general. It is one of those few headphones that with certain music tracks is able to trick me into thinking I'm listening to my front speakers, not headphones.

With the 3D surround on:

To say it transforms the soundscape, soundstage, and soundfield would be an understatement. More on this in the gaming section, and 3D button specific sections.

Clarity:

The Mobius has a decent amount of clarity, thanks to it's very linear response, not masking any region outside softening a few treble ranges, though not ones that stifle perceived clarity.

The bass leaves the midrange well enough alone in the vast majority of examples, and the treble sparkles without being overly pronounced nor stuffy and veiled.

It's not as clear as the brighter, detail oriented headphones out there, but for a neutral to warm leaning closed headphone, it does an admirable job.

Clarity changes when engaging it's 3D surround mode, in which the Mobius takes on a slightly brighter, airier, more detailed tonality, which makes it great for detail-attentive gaming. This zaps the bass a bit, so you may wanna change the preset to 'Music' or 'Warm' if you want to bring back some of the bass and warmer characteristics.

Sound Signature:

Tonality: Neutral-warm tonality, linear, authoritative, but controlled bass, luscious midrange, neutral-warm treble with moderate sparkle.

Bass: Linear, sub bass is cavernous, mid bass as impactful as necessary, not overly energetic. Slight excess bass energy in lower frequency male speech. Bass decay/resonance is medium speed. Rich texture.

Midrange: Warm neutral, linear, up front and center, organic, lifelike, natural. Excellent. No annoying areas in the transition to lower treble. Slight dip at 1.5khz, 3.5khz-4khz transition is the pronounced but not overly sharp.

Treble: Warm neutral/south of neutral, with sparkly upper end. Not soft, not pronounced. Walks a fine line between smooth and sparkly. Warm, but not WARM. Upper end extension is high. 3.2khz prominence, 6khz-7khz dip, 8.5khz peak, 10khz-12khz lively but not piercing. 13khz drop off.

Gaming:

As Audeze first foray into a gaming headset, you would expect that it needs to deliver, and I have to say, gaming with the Mobius has been a treat. As one would expect of a deeply immersive experience that a meaty bass, rich midrange headphone would give, the immersion factor is absolutely stellar. This is one incredibly fun headphone to use. It is vibrant and dynamic, with some pleasant prowess in terms of clarity as well. Headphones tend to lean towards either immersive gaming, or competitive, detail oriented gaming. Well, I can easily say the Mobius can easily serve as either. I guess that is what an incredibly linear response can deliver, yet without any 'flat' sound boredom.

Now for the real treats.

How well does it's 3D surround sound function? As someone who started with the tried and true Dolby Headphone, who has dabbled with Beyerdynamic's Headzone surround dsp, then THX Tru Studio, and for a few years up to now having used Creative's SBX Surround, with the latest being Sennheiser's SGX, I can say I was absolutely surprised by how effective Audeze's surround solution is. Here are my past and current experiences:

There are many other virtual surround dsps, but these are the ones I'm accustomed to and found worth using. In my nearly decade long audiophile life, you can say I'm more than well acquainted with what Audeze is attempting here with its base virtual surround implementation outside of the headtracking.

So is the Mobius' implementation of surround worthwhile when compared to tried and true dsps that have thrived before its inception? Short answer? Abso-freaking-lutely.

The surround emulation just works. It instantly reminds me of something akin to Creative's SBX surround, give or take a bit of rear positional depth. Positional accuracy is correct, with the only negligible shortcoming being that blind testing front/rear positional cues aren't as easy as with Dolby Headphone or SBX. Now, this is a problem I personally feel ALL surround DSPs have. It's just one of those aspects of virtual surround that take a little more than just sound to convince. Action on screen relative to what you hear goes a long way into 'tricking' your brain into hearing sound cues as being 'behind you'.

Now, I won't go out of my way and say it's the best one, though that may be purely on preference. I'd rate its virtual surround as an 8/10. It's great. I can without question use the Mobius competitively and not ever feel like its positional cues are a detriment.

3D Button and Its Effects

To add what the 3D button does and its effects for more than just gaming, let me clarify:

Base Surround Emulation:

For best results, you need to change the mode to 7.1 (though head tracking does work in 2 channel mode to a lesser extent).

Upon engaging virtual surround, the sound signature of the Mobius becomes slightly brighter (though still retains the Mobius traits of linear signature with deep AND punchy bass, just a little less so, but with equally present midrange, and neutral-ish non-fatiguing but clear treble). It becomes considerably more airy, which is to be expected. You're going from a typical headphone's audio, to something that simulates a room with speakers. That's right, you honestly should not compare basic stereo mode with 7.1 virtual surround/head tracking mode, because the presentation of sound is COMPLETELY different. Again, it's like going from headphones to then taking your headphones off and listening to speakers inside a room. Not exactly the same, right?

Well, the immediate difference is how the sound goes from inside your head to several virtual feet in front of you, at the very least when it comes for stereo content. If you're listening to music, it's like there are a set of speakers in front of you. If playing 5.1/7.1 content, it's like you're in the middle of the action, and things are happening all around you. Now, you may think "well, regular headphone gaming I feel like I'm in the center of it all." No. Just no. There is no comparison. You're still limited to two channels giving you audio that is more or less in and around your headspace. Virtual surround is like you're listening to speakers quite some distance from you, hence why I say NEVER to compare between them. You wouldn't compare a headphone's soundstage and imaging directly with speakers, so don't do it here.

Mobius's surround emulation is distinct, with clear positional cues, note-worthy airiness and soundstage size. You are enveloped in a large sound field that is further aided by the wonderful, wonderful headtracking. Thankfully, the reverb is kept to a minimum (though that depends on the software's room ambience setting), so it doesn't sound overly artificial like some other virtual surround DSPs like Dolby Headphone, which may have better rear positional discernibility, but at the expense of fidelity. I think most users would take the Mobius interpretation of virtual surround over Dolby Headphone.

Headtracking:

As if virtual surround wasn't enough, Audeze decided to throw in an incredibly functional headtracking feature that not only works, but works amazingly well.

To start, it begins with you facing what you deem is the front (or in my case, the TV screen). You then press then 3D button to center the headtracking. From that point, ANY head movement will be tracked by the Mobius. So if you were to turn around, the audio that is supposed to be in front of you will come from behind you. To give an easy example: say you're using this feature while listening to music, well it's exactly like you're listening to speakers in front of you, and whatever direction you turn to, the audio will still be coming from where the speakers are obviously located. It's something you have to experience to truly understand and appreciate.

Now, for music, I'm a headphone purist, in the sense that I would just rather listen to the Mobius with the 3D/surround/headtracking turned off. However for sources that have a 5.1/7.1 mix like movies, video games, and tv shows, I absolutely swear by the surround and headtracking.

For gaming in particular it adds an extra layer in dimensionality, as no longer do I have to 'think' of the sound as it ALWAYS being in front of me, so if say, my head were slightly angled in another direction, I would still know where sound cues are at on the screen, because the headtracking makes it possible to pinpoint EXACTLY where sounds are coming from relative to where I'm facing and not just where it is at relative to the screen. It's not only immersive, it's absolutely beneficial, if even by just a little bit.

I think this will absolutely be a game changer in the future, if the gaming industry pays attention.

Final Impressions on Surround and Headtracking:

Surround sound alone is something I deem incredibly important in gaming, especially headphone gaming. The Audeze Mobius' implementation is a fantastic new alternative to all the existing surround dsps out there. In addition to its headtracking, it may as well become a brand new favorite for many people. Audeze already had a bang up headphone without even going into the gaming and surround features. With them, Audeze has come out the gates swinging for the fences.

Bluetooth:

I'll be the first to admit I don't have a lot of experience with wireless audio. Outside of a pretty good pair of Koss PortaPro wireless, Jaybird X2s iems, and gaming headsets: Creative Soundblaster Jam, Astro A50, Skullcandy Plyr 1, I don't expect much from wireless audio.

I can EASILY say that I'm positively blown away by how amazing the Mobius sounds in its Bluetooth form. I mean, it sounds the almost the 'same' to my ears. I mean that in a way that I don't notice any sound signature differences. It sounds clean, crisp, clear, and if there is any compression, I honestly can't tell. I would absolutely fail a blind test between bluetooth and USB. I'm sure there are differences, but I'm not gonna strain myself to the point where I trick myself into thinking one sounds better than the other. That is the highest praise I can give.

We can sit here and talk about headtracking, and whatnot. To be honest, I think I was just as impressed by the bluetooth sound quality. Yes, it's that good. Fight me.

Bluetooth does have quite a lot of latency in all but the LDAC codec, so gaming through Bluetooth isn't advised.

In terms of battery life, Audeze rates these for around 10 hours of playback. While far from other wireless headphones, I find 10 hours to be enough for the majority of a day's use. I don't ever really past 8 hours of headphone use a day, so 10 hours is fine for me, especially when I'd be using these mainly through the USB mode.

Microphone:

At the time I was sent these, I had a pre-release and a final release Mobius models, and mixed up the microphones, so I'm not certain which was which. I don't feel comfortable giving microphone impressions, so I truly apologize for those looking for this.

Audeze HQ Software:

This program is where you can customize all manner of things on the Mobius that can't be accessed on the headset itself. Before describing the main sections, let me talk about the right section which has indicators of whether the Mobius is turned on/off, which mode the 3D is in (Off, Manual, Auto), the battery percentage, the mic volume level/mute, and whether the device is connected through USB. The top right of the software has a question mark button which sends you to an Audeze webpage with Mobius technical questions (worth looking into if you still have questions about many aspects of the Mobius).

As for the software's sections themselves...

HTRF Personalization:

Here you have sliders for 3 settings: Head Circumference, Inter-Aural Arc, and Room Ambience. These are important in giving you the best experiences with the 3D audio. Head Circumference and Inter-Aural arc settings are done in inches and I suggest a measuring tape to get proper sizes. Room Ambience goes from 0-100, and drastically changes how the virtual surround dsp sounds in soundstage size and reverb. I believe the default is 35. I personally use 50 which has a little more reverb, but gives positional cues some room between me and the edge of the soundstage.

This section also has a 3D model of a head that gives you current pitch, yaw, and roll of the headset as you move your head about. This will reset and centralize when you press the 3D button on the headset when in 7ch or Stereo modes. Hi-Res mode can't be adjusted as it disables headtracking functions, though the software still picks up the headtracking movement.

Sound Profiles:

This section makes it easier to change between the various EQ presets. Flat, Default, Foot Steps, Ballistics, Music, Racing, RPG, Warm. As stated in the beginning, Default is...the default option, although in the software, Flat comes before default.

Device Info:

This section informs you of the software's version, as well as an image of the headset's outline describing various areas of the headset itself.

Firmware:

A simple section describing firmware version, as well as a button where you can update the firmware of the headset itself. The method of updating sends you to another site which personally could've been made easier, as it tells you to copy to google drive, log in, and some other steps which I found a minor hassle. That being said, the update process itself is painless and easy and only requires the headset be placed flat, pads face down until the process is complete, and only needs a power cycle.

Final software impressions:

The Audeze HQ software is quite simple, intuitive, and attractive. I do wish the right section could also be adjusted here instead of just being indicators, though that's just a minor gripe. I sometimes forget, and try to toggle the 3D mode here in the software which is impossible. All in all, it's a no frills, easy to understand program. It is worth installing mainly because it is necessary for the HTRF customization. The EQ preset changes here is a nice bonus.

Personal Recommendations:

The Audeze Mobius is possibly the easiest product to recommend to everyone outside of console specific gamers. It's a stellar music headphone, gaming headset, and general media monster. Outside of possibly those who want something analytical, bass heavy/light, I don't see how ANYONE else would not consider these.

Even if you don't care about virtual surround, or even headtracking, the Mobius IS STILL a stellar audiophile headphone in both usb AND wireless bluetooth modes. I don't talk much about the aux cable mode, because bluetooth is so good, you won't find a need to connect a cable unless it's for the usb specific uses. I promise you.

Likes and Dislikes:

• Self driven (no dac/amp needed)
  • Wireless capability via Bluetooth
  • Great virtual surround
  • Amazing Headtracking
  • So much bang for the money
  • Stellar sound quality from usb AND bluetooth

Dislikes:
  • No full console capability outside of standard aux cable into controller on PS4. Not sure on XB1 or Switch, though if they have a headphone jack somewhere you'll get basic stereo capability.
  • Aux cable input isn't passive, so no benefit in using your own dac/amps.
  • Aux cable input may be unnecessary because bluetooth and USB sound quality is just that good.

Final Impressions:

Had Audeze released a barebones headset, that didn't have surround, headtracking, or even wireless capabilities, the Mobius would STILL get a full recommendation from me. Based off sound quality alone, I was instantly enamored by the Mobius. Audeze specifically asked for general concerns or advice for them on what I think needs fixing. I told them that I honestly wouldn't change a THING of its sonic traits. I mean, speaking purely in terms of sound signature and quality, the Mobius is 100% READY to go. I do NOT want anything about its inherent sound changed whatsoever.

How can I give critical feedback to a product I can find no real fault in?

It's been quite a while since the Mobius released from the early impressions I posted online. The noise floor issues have been fixed, the glitches have been ironed out. The Mobius is the complete, feature-rich, package.

I don't even want to begin trying to understand how Audeze was capable of cramming so much into a product like this that isn't worth a zillion dollars. I don't wanna know, I don't wanna ask. All I know is that it exists, and you absolutely should get it. Even if JUST for the Bluetooth, I'd argue for it.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2019 at 2:13 AM Post #42,293 of 48,562
@Mad Lust Envy Mobius can work wirelessly on PS4 using Creative BT-W2 bluetooth adapter.

Apr 16, 2019 at 3:04 AM Post #42,294 of 48,562
@Mad Lust Envy Mobius can work wirelessly on PS4 using Creative BT-W2 bluetooth adapter.
But would we want it to, considering that the Mobius doesn't do Apt-X, and particularly something fast like Apt-X Low Latency? I THINK LDAC is fast (maybe not), but I don't think the Creative BT-W2 has that.

I definitely don't recommend the Mobius for wireless gaming. Through USB/aux, yes. Bluetooth only for non-gaming purposes.

You could get a transmitter that can take audio from spdif or analog audio and convert that to fast stream or apt-X LL, but for some reason, the Mobius didn't pick up ethe Fast Stream signal which was supposed to be picked up by anything that picks up standard SBC. Then again,m my PortaPro wireless didn't pick up Apt-X LL, despite it being AptX supported. The Grado GW100 I had temporarily picked up the AptX LL signal from the device, so I dunno why the Koss didn't. It's quite annoying really, as Fast Stream is fast, but it distorts quite easily, and sounds kinda garbo.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2019 at 4:34 AM Post #42,295 of 48,562
But would we want it to, considering that the Mobius doesn't do Apt-X, and particularly something fast like Apt-X Low Latency? I THINK LDAC is fast (maybe not), but I don't think the Creative BT-W2 has that.

I definitely don't recommend the Mobius for wireless gaming. Through USB/aux, yes. Bluetooth only for non-gaming purposes.

You could get a transmitter that can take audio from spdif or analog audio and convert that to fast stream or apt-X LL, but for some reason, the Mobius didn't pick up ethe Fast Stream signal which was supposed to be picked up by anything that picks up standard SBC. Then again,m my PortaPro wireless didn't pick up Apt-X LL, despite it being AptX supported. The Grado GW100 I had temporarily picked up the AptX LL signal from the device, so I dunno why the Koss didn't. It's quite annoying really, as Fast Stream is fast, but it distorts quite easily, and sounds kinda garbo.
Bt-w2 does aptx low latency but yeah, gaming on it would be suboptimal.

Apr 16, 2019 at 4:38 AM Post #42,296 of 48,562
A shame the Mobius doesn't have AptX support, though Audeze gave their reasons. One being it's a competitor to LDAC, which they chose.

Apr 16, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #42,297 of 48,562
Hmm, odd, the Mobius I had never had any bass at all on it, like literally none, just stock out of box on launch day. I am surprised to read your review of the bass section, I got a full refund though and only paid $249... not willing to pay $400 now just to see if software updates really fixed it. Heh. oh well

Apr 16, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #42,298 of 48,562
Hmm, odd, the Mobius I had never had any bass at all on it, like literally none, just stock out of box on launch day. I am surprised to read your review of the bass section, I got a full refund though and only paid $249... not willing to pay $400 now just to see if software updates really fixed it. Heh. oh well

The Mobius page on Headfi even shows graphs that show just how linear and low the bass goes. Like the LCD2 before it. It rolls off below 20hz which is the inaudible range anyways.

Also, the bass does get lighter with the 3D audio turned on, which Audeze recommends you switch to Music/Warm presets to offset the loss.

Where I do sound testing of bass/mid/treble, it is without any 3D audio, eq, or anything. It is to gauge the sound in its most raw form with the default preset.

Is that the one you used or did you make the mistake of testing it in the FLAT preset? Flat is NOT the Mobius target sound preset. Default is.

It shouldn't drastically change the bass, but still. Also bass is VERY subjective. Since people think having a bass hump is what makes things bassy. There is a difference. Like I said in the review, this isn't basshead bass. It's present and linear. Feed it bassy music, it will sounds bassy, imho of course.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #42,299 of 48,562
I jumped on the 58X Massdrop, haven't gotten them yet. Does anyone have an opinion on foam in or out for gaming (mostly fps)? I see many people saying foam out, just wondering if anyone has a differing opinion.
I'm not sure about the foam or FPS gaming with the HD58X, but they do sound NICE :)
What source exactly are you going to be plugging them into?
(On-board audio, sound card, DAC/amp, gaming console, etc)

Apr 16, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #42,300 of 48,562
I'm not sure about the foam or FPS gaming with the HD58X, but they do sound NICE :)
What source exactly are you going to be plugging them into?
(On-board audio, sound card, DAC/amp, gaming console, etc)

Thanks! I picked them up partially based on your suggestion from an early post I did in computer audio. I have ordered an SMSL M100 and a Liquid spark. I was really back and forth between that and the jds atom but i needed some cables so the spark saved me a few bucks. Any suggestion on spdif or usb for the M100?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back