Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 21, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #136 of 48,562
Just be careful with that hd598 because there are already a couple people on head-fi complaining that the hd5x5 crack is back with a vengeance in the hd5x8 series.  

Still no one that's used dolby headphone with the hd650?  I ask because I'm pretty sure the hd650 is my perfect music headphone and I want to get one sometime.  

Jan 21, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #137 of 48,562
Not MLE, but I know he used E9 connected after mixamp when he had k702 and dt990, and improved the sound somehow :p

He bought PC360 coz he is lazy to move amps :p

Quote:
VulgarDisplay said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just be careful with that hd598 because there are already a couple people on head-fi complaining that the hd5x5 crack is back with a vengeance in the hd5x8 series.  

Still no one that's used dolby headphone with the hd650?  I ask because I'm pretty sure the hd650 is my perfect music headphone and I want to get one sometime.

Jan 21, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #138 of 48,562

Quote:
sorry if this was asked before.

Mad Lust, do you have your mixamp connected to your e7/e9 or you use them separately?

I don't see why he would have the E7 in that chain--it's designed to function only as a DAC, an ability that can't be tapped into given that MixAmp has no USB out (and is a DAC already).

Jan 21, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #140 of 48,562

Quote:

I have and I've also posted my impressions here about it. Do you have me on your ignore list (rhetorical I know)?

Here's what I posted on page 6 but there are other impressions prior:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've just tried the HD650 directly from the MixAmp, instead of double amping with the Audio-GD Fun. Firstly, the MixAmp (1st gen running off usb) can drive the HD650 to insane levels (not what I expected). Secondly, the reverberated and echoey quality of DH is seemingly more apparent, heightening the illusion of space. This in turn accentuates the clink of buckles, the crunch of boots in snow, the telltale rustling of a camper and the unmistakable sound of a reload. It's quite impressive. The main issue though is that these sounds are brought so far forward in the mix that it can be difficult to pinpoint depth, especially when all hell is breaking loose. When the Audio-GD Fun is in the chain the rendition of depth is natural and these sound details vary in magnitude rather than being in your direct vicinity.

I only played a few rounds of BlackOps but despite being very rusty and the lowest ranked by far in the lobby, I dominated with MixAmp + Fun combo and then made people quit when I employed just the Mixamp by itself. Good times.

Jan 21, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #141 of 48,562
As for the HD598, I agree that they aren't exactly easy to drive. Even when listening to music off the E9, they need high gain and about the same volume level as the K701 I had. Maybe just a smidge easier to drive, at least volume wise. I didn't test them out with voice chat on the Mixamp, but I would be cautious about how loud they could get with the Mixamp with moderate voice chat volumes.

Though I didn't get more than 5 minutes to test them, the PC360 is definitely inferior to the HD598 in terms of overall clarity. They definitely sound like Senns... unlike the abnormally clear HD598.

Quote:
sorry if this was asked before.

Mad Lust, do you have your mixamp connected to your e7/e9 or you use them separately?

I don't see why he would have the E7 in that chain--it's designed to function only as a DAC, an ability that can't be tapped into given that MixAmp has no USB out (and is a DAC already).

Of course I didn't use the E7. The E7 just stays docked to my E9 regardless.

The E9 after the Mixamp works very well. The only perceived difference to the sound is an altered soundstage. Directionality and SQ aren't negatively affected to my ears. That's why I tell people that if they add an amp to the Mixamp, a neutral one like the E9 is ideal.

Jan 21, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #142 of 48,562

Ah well, there's downsides to everything I guess. My AD700 will be getting delivered today so I have those to look forward too :)

As far as a mic goes, I tried it out with the creatives yesterday and the xbl mic around my neck/voice chat coming through my headphones worked fine I guess, it isn't ideal but if it saves me £40 then I'll make do.

Quote:
The only headsets that will allow voice chat on the DSS are the Turtle Beach headsets.

For everything else, you're screwed unless you buy the Steelseries Spectrum Audio Mixer.

http://steelseries.com/products/consoles/steelseries-spectrum-audio-mixer-xb

For the price of the DSS and the Audio Mixer, you could've just gotten the Mixamp or AX720. The DSS + Audio Mixer is a cluttered mess.

Jan 21, 2011 at 5:11 AM Post #143 of 48,562
No worries. The official headset around the neck works fine. You just can't hear your own voice and the game chat is more mixed up with game audio, but it ain't too bad.

As for the AD700, they will make a nice compliment to the Creatives. I would use the AD700 strictly for online, and the Creatives for fun non-competitive gaming.

As for the audio mixer, there are quite a few people complaining that it has a hum that is pretty noticeable and annoying. I would skip it.

Jan 21, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #146 of 48,562
The PC360 is an OPEN headset, so mentioning them for closed is....wrong? I haven't tried nor have any desire to try the PC350.

Other closed....

AX720
PX21
A40
Z2
Ax Pro
Philips SHP2500

Most headSETS I have tested were closed.

Like I said before, open tends to yield much better results with Dolby Headphone due to larger soundstage, allowing for easier front and back directional cues.

This thread is based off my own experiences, not a general guide. I won't add anything I haven't personally used.

Another thing... I know open headphones like the AD700, HD595 and HPX are popular at LANs... so...

Jan 21, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #147 of 48,562

Quote:

I have
redface.gif
(Asus Xonar DX and now STX > Matrix M-Stage > HD650) for about a year, and I think its a solid combination with dolby headphone. I mainly play Bad Company 2 & L4D and the positioning is great and thier open back helps make the DH sound less artificial and better spacing. Less could be said for my prior HFI-780 which is a good elctronic music Can but did not sound that great with the DH modes with added reverb. I think S-logic might be better for stereo with dolby pro logic or just feel different from person to person.

The Xonar soundcard family has the added bonus of a 7.1 speak shifter allowing for the adjustment of sound direction and volume from each channel allowing for positional fine tune best used for getting the rear sounds to match the fronts. You can pickup the new Xonar DG for peanuts and would reccoment it to anyone who think CMSS3D does not cut it.

Having said that overall I prefer my new Denon AHD2000 and thus selling My HD650 and my Xonar DX. PM me if interested.

Jan 21, 2011 at 7:33 AM Post #148 of 48,562
I have a pair of DT880s mixed with a X-Fi and I'm considering getting something different. I do a lot of competitive gaming on PC and the AKG K701 are tempting. Do you think they are worth the money having a pair of Beyers?

Jan 21, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #149 of 48,562
I sold my DT880 for the K701. Competitive-wise, the K701 trumps the DT880s, IMHO. However, if you have absolutely no problem discerning front/rear sounds with the 880s, I find the 880s to be a better overall headphone than the K701. I ONLY traded the 880s because of that lack of rear cues for my ears. This is one instance where YMMV.

Jan 21, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #150 of 48,562
Edited the first post with this info.

PC360 = JUST GET IT NOW.

Seriously, if you want a headset, don't even think twice. Get it. NAO. Easily the best headset I have heard. THE BEST.

Clarity? Check. 8/10

It lags behind the AD700, K70x, and HD598, but for gaming, it is NO slouch. Trust me, you won't need it any more clear than it is. I won every single match in CoD4. EVERY SINGLE ONE. I can say that it COULD be clearer as a whole, but no other headSET comes close.

Balance? Check. 9/10

There is no part of the audio spectrum that I felt was emphasized over the rest. Well balanced. That's all I can say. Treble is neither smooth, nor sparkly. It sounded neutral. Fantastic.

Soundstage? Check. 8.5/10

Obviously lagging behind the monsters that are the K70x and AD700, but is indeed no slouch. I'd say it has a bigger soundstage than the DT990. Fantastic sense of space and airiness.

Directional Cues? Check. 9.5/10

What can I say? This may actually be as good as the best when it comes to overall directionality. Trust me when I say that I could EASILY tell where everyone was around me.

Easy to discern front and back? Check! 10/10

Perhaps the most important aspect of Dolby Headphone, and the PC360 got it down masterfully.

This is my first hour's impression.

If you're in the market for a headSET, this should be the top priority.

If you're looking for clarity, I'd say that the others mentioned have it beat, but the PC360 does a fine job with all the clarity it gives.

Unless there is a dramatic change:

Fun: 6.5/10 (well balanced, but not really having the punch in bass needed for the immersion that others give)

Competitive: 9.5/10 (I highly doubt you'll be complaining about anything as you're precisely locating anything and everything around you).

If these indeed sound exactly the same as the 595 (or modded 555s), then unless you really need a mic and volume control all in one package, you'll be saving money by going with the 555's and modding them for the 595 sound and attach a mic. However, the PC360 can be had for around $180, and brings everything in one very attractive package. I can't say anything about the 555 and 595, but the PC360 is definitely a gaming beast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back