Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 11, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #46,861 of 48,562
I've never noticed any sound lag and I put it at the max. I've never had any issues with the oversampling on any of my dacs except one which would bug out unless I kept it to 24bit, instead of 32bit. But other than that one, never had any issues.

Set it to the max and see if you hear ANYTHING remotely off. I certainly don't.
I just duplicated my issue. Setting lower than 24/48K introduces lag <EDIT: when re-enabling Atmos> (audio behind video). It also disables Atmos. And setting higher (I tried 24/192 and 32/192) disables Atmos.

Since I use the Hel 2 only for gaming (always with Atmos) and general PC use (YouTube, etc.), leaving it at 24/48K isn't an issue for me. Without Atmos, I could set it higher as you suggest. That's why I qualified my statement with "If you're using it for VSS".

In the midst of me trying to figure this out a month ago, I asked you via DM if you had ever experienced latency with your Hel 2. I finally figured out it was an Atmos thing.

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #46,864 of 48,562
I just duplicated my issue. Setting lower than 24/48K introduces lag <EDIT: when re-enabling Atmos> (audio behind video). It also disables Atmos. And setting higher (I tried 24/192 and 32/192) disables Atmos.

Since I use the Hel 2 only for gaming (always with Atmos) and general PC use (YouTube, etc.), leaving it at 24/48K isn't an issue for me. Without Atmos, I could set it higher as you suggest. That's why I qualified my statement with "If you're using it for VSS".

In the midst of me trying to figure this out a month ago, I asked you via DM if you had ever experienced latency with your Hel 2. I finally figured out it was an Atmos thing.
Thing is, I use the Hel 2 with Redscape and still don't notice anything like that. So yeah, it might just be an Atmos thing alone.

May 12, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #46,865 of 48,562
Hello Guys! Do you think HyperX Orbit S (same as Audeze Mobius) would be an upgrade over Sennheiser HD 598?

I'll use it to play offline games on my PC, PS5 and Xbox Series X only. Online games will be 1% of the time (almost 2 years without playing multiplayer games).

No movies or music, just games.

Thank you! :)

May 12, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #46,866 of 48,562
What audio are you listening to?

Only Qobuz really, and youtube / twitch

You should set it at 24/192.
It is the maximum offered by Qobuz.
Thnx going to try that!
If you're using it for VSS (in gaming) like Dolby Atmos
I only use my laptop for listening to music and watching some youtube/twitch. So no reason to take that into account :). I use my PS5 for gaming and that will do whatever it will do with the Hel I suppose, no way to influence any of that.
On my Jot 2 running solely Qobuz, it's as earlier stated. 24/192K
Thnx going to try that
Set it to the max and see if you hear ANYTHING remotely off. I certainly don't.
Yeah I hadn't changed it at all, but sometimes I have these small pops. I think (fairly certain) it is a limitation of the very badly optimized qobuz software, and my somewhat older laptop. Especially when opening multiple chrome tabs and other work related programs, it starts to pop or stutter. So I imagined a lower bitrate would also mean a lower load on my pc (not sure if that is true actually...). Therefore, I think it would be best to stay as close to my source (Qobuz) as possible, but honestly I haven't really done any research in how windows handles different bitrates and down/up sampling and all of that.

I guess this is quite of topic though... Hope that is okay. At least it is a gaming device I guess lol

May 12, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #46,867 of 48,562
Very weird stuff happens with the Hel sometimes, but I am not sure it is the fault of the HEL, or of the Qobuz web player....

When I listen to this song for example https://open.qobuz.com/track/120963541, with the hel set at 24 bit, 192 khz, I hear some weird popping sounds.

When I set the hel at 24 bit 48 khz (like the song is recorded in) I hear no such popping sounds....

Any idea why this happens?

Some trouble shooting I tried: unplugging the Hell, used another USB port, and plugging it back in the original USB port again. Now it is gone, in both usb ports it works fine.... I have really little knowledge on these kind of things, so hopefully someone understands why this happens. Maybe a driver issue? (I had the message: windows is setting up the Hel) so maybe windows fixed the problem now?

Edit: hope it is okay to ask this here. There are multiple people here with the Hel 2, and the device is still quite rare in consumers hands I believe. Let me know if not I will remove the post.

Edit 2: Problem came back 30 min later (also in a high res track, 24 / 44.1 this time...). Does the Hel have a hard time switching different bitrates?

Edit 3: Happens every 20-30 min or so, a power cycle fixes it.

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #46,868 of 48,562
Very weird stuff happens with the Hel sometimes, but I am not sure it is the fault of the HEL, or of the Qobuz web player....

When I listen to this song for example https://open.qobuz.com/track/120963541, with the hel set at 24 bit, 192 khz, I hear some weird popping sounds.

When I set the hel at 24 bit 48 khz (like the song is recorded in) I hear no such popping sounds....

Any idea why this happens?

Some trouble shooting I tried: unplugging the Hell, used another USB port, and plugging it back in the original USB port again. Now it is gone, in both usb ports it works fine.... I have really little knowledge on these kind of things, so hopefully someone understands why this happens. Maybe a driver issue? (I had the message: windows is setting up the Hel) so maybe windows fixed the problem now?

Edit: hope it is okay to ask this here. There are multiple people here with the Hel 2, and the device is still quite rare in consumers hands I believe. Let me know if not I will remove the post.

Edit 2: Problem came back 30 min later (also in a high res track, 24 / 44.1 this time...). Does the Hel have a hard time switching different bitrates?

Edit 3: Happens every 20-30 min or so, a power cycle fixes it.
Have you tried the Qobuz windows app? It's a resource hog. You may want to pose this one in the Qobuz thread ... more eyes.

May 12, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #46,869 of 48,562
Have you tried the Qobuz windows app? It's a resource hog. You may want to pose this one in the Qobuz thread ... more eyes.
Yeah that gives me other problems sometimes (resource related). But will post in the Qobuz thread for sure. Not sure where the problem lies honestly, thought it would be the Hel, since a power cycle fixed it. But will do some more trouble shooting with my old fiio Dac/amp too to see if it happens there too.

Very frustrating problems issues. Stuttering music while working is the worst X-D

May 12, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #46,870 of 48,562
What do you mean? I thought the PC38X were the best wired option.
Sennheiser has sold it's Consumer Division to a Swiss company come effective at the end of 2021, allowing transition time. The Consumer Division includes their gamer, audio, and audiophile headphone line-up, unless the product was covered by EPOS, which they already sold off. Sennheiser will be focusing on the Pro market going forward.

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #46,871 of 48,562
What do you mean? I thought the PC38X were the best wired option.
Sennheiser’s consumer division is going to continue, though they are partnering with Swiss audio company Sonova. Sennheiser’s current line of products and new products will continue to be produced by the same people at the same places they are at now, under the same brand.

All of the Gaming products, including the PC38X that was an exclusive model made just for Drop customers, are part of EPOS audio, a former joint venture that ended before the PC38X released. They do use Sennheiser drivers, but it’s an EPOS product. Regardless, warranties are still intact.

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #46,872 of 48,562
Hi All,

I'm brand new here and I'm currently using a Schiit Hel 2 with the SHP9500's for most of my gaming on PS5. I absolutely love this setup, but curious if anyone has experience with some of the wireless headsets, namely the Arctis 7P? The Hel 2 and SHP9500 work great when I'm at my desk, but I'd love to move the PS5 to the living room on our new TV and need a wireless solution. The SHP9500's work great through the DualSense, but seem a little under powered.

Also, if I absolutely love the SHP9500, is there anything less than $250 that's worth upgrading to? I love the open back and comfort of the SHP9500, but I'm considering upgrading sometime soon as well.

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #46,873 of 48,562
Hello honored hifi-heads! Sorry for the long incoherent post and bless you, if you are able to make sense of it!
I've been rocking a pair of AKG ear buds worth 10$ for years now and I thought it was time to try something else! I have been looking at reviews and comparisons for the last 2 weeks and I would love to make a decision soon, I am getting consumed by using so much time on trying to decide!
I do not have any sort of DAC or AMP. I don't play FPS at a competitive level, but loads of singleplayer RPG's and open world games, the only FPS I play is Hunt: Showdown and even my 10$ earbuds manages to make use of the spatial sound to create pretty good imaging in that game. It seems like Beyerdynamics DT-990 has better sound imaging than the Fidelio X2HR but it seems like you sacrifice some of the "fun"/"entertainment" for that extra competitive edge.
Music tastes are all over the place, not 1 genre that overshadows the others comes to mind.
I have decided on open-back headphones for the soundstage, having a budget around 160-200$, which will be used as a multi-purpose pair of headphones for both gaming, entertainment and music. I was considering getting a ModMic or V-moda boompro for the headphones that support a 3,5 mm.
Sadly I haven't got the slightest clue as to what kind of "house-sound" I like (E.G. Beyerdynamics, Sennheiser,).
Pricing is a bit weird in Denmark, sadly the Sennheisers (was looking at Hd58x and Pc37x or Pc38x from Drop) all demand a 50$ import tax.
Can't seem to find the SHP9500 anywhere either.

So anyways, a good multipurpose pair of open-back headphones that isn't exclusively made for competitive FPS but still offer some sort of soundstage/imaging, whilst also being enjoyable for entertainment purposes like movies/listening to music.
if you want open world, you need soundstage. And if you want fun, you need some bass. For that I would recommend:
-K712 or K612
-DT990 600ohm
-Monolith M570 (using warm preset in Dolby Atmos, or manually bump up the bass a bit)

I already have the Sony MA900 but I am looking for a headphone that beats the Sony in terms of soundstage size, separation and placement..

I am looking at K702 and AD700x … which one of these serves me better ?
K702 has the better quality sound in this category (soundstage, separation, imaging). However, the k702 needs an amp. The AD700x does not need an amp.
Also the air in open worlds sounds grainy with the AD700X.

May 13, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #46,874 of 48,562
Hello Guys! Do you think HyperX Orbit S (same as Audeze Mobius) would be an upgrade over Sennheiser HD 598?

I'll use it to play offline games on my PC, PS5 and Xbox Series X only. Online games will be 1% of the time (almost 2 years without playing multiplayer games).

No movies or music, just games.

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back