Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 5, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #26,776 of 48,562
  Don't let the hype fool you.  Right now the X7 doesn't exist so everything is based on some info sheets.  It may or may not be good.  It will be expensive.  Depending on how expensive, and how many o the features you use, you could get other equivalent options for cheaper.

I know Evs is super excited about it, but I'm taking a more "wait and see" approach.  I'm not convinced it'll be worthwhile at the prices people are expecting.

EDIT:  1500!

True, I was probably not gonna buy it right away as I will want to see reviews first. Also, NICE 1501! xD

Nov 5, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #26,777 of 48,562
  Don't let the hype fool you.  Right now the X7 doesn't exist so everything is based on some info sheets.  It may or may not be good.  It will be expensive.  Depending on how expensive, and how many o the features you use, you could get other equivalent options for cheaper.

I know Evs is super excited about it, but I'm taking a more "wait and see" approach.  I'm not convinced it'll be worthwhile at the prices people are expecting.

EDIT:  1500!

on paper, X7 kills all the other decoder in the market(except for receivers) like tritton and mixamp ....

Nov 5, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #26,778 of 48,562
  on paper

Yes, on paper.  Once it's off paper, we can make an actual determination.

And part of that determination will be whether all those bells and whistles validate the price.  If all you want is a good decoder with a nice amp, maybe the X7 will be overkill.  *shrug*

I'm just saying we should be keeping the hype train in check, especially when counceling noobies.

Nov 5, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #26,779 of 48,562

on paper

And part of that determination will be whether all those bells and whistles validate the price.  If all you want is a good decoder with a nice amp, maybe the X7 will be overkill.  *shrug*

I'm just saying we should be keeping the hype train in check, especially when counceling noobies.

Well, as long as X7's review isn't frontpaged on this thread noone will buy it. 99% of the lurkers read just the first page and none of the comments.

Nov 5, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #26,780 of 48,562
It's supposed to be 400 dollars I believe? To me it's a steal if I can have all that in one box. I am Slightly concerned about it being a brand new product though, can anyone vouch for the reliability of creative's products?

Nov 5, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #26,781 of 48,562
I am thinking about getting the X7 and the Q701 for Christmas..not sure yet, I have seen a pair of AKG545 in my local hifi store last pair for half the retail price..if I get the 545 I probably won't bother with the X7 and Q701..also might get the new Marantz pm5005 and just use dac amp and speakers for my ps4 single player games and use my gaming pc for mulitplayer surround bf4/hardline!

Nov 5, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #26,782 of 48,562

Well, HYPE TRAIN might be a bit of hyperbole, the X7 interests me and it's not like it was my first recommendation, however if they don't remove the feature's they've listed on paper or change the component parts listed (or totally have an inept design, unlikely considering their experience), then it solves a lot of problems for trying to make a higher-end integrated setup. Before the announcement (X7 not yet available), I would occasionally recommend a receiver, but it's hard to find those that don't compromise on headphone features or cost more than the X7.

It's so far a logical looking upgrade for me, everyone else has to make up their own mind based on their desires.

Well, as long as X7's review isn't frontpaged on this thread noone will buy it. 99% of the lurkers read just the first page and none of the comments.

Lol 99%
You might be right, but it sure seems like plenty of people don't read the first post and ask for a summary recommendation in the thread.

It's supposed to be 400 dollars I believe? To me it's a steal if I can have all that in one box. I am Slightly concerned about it being a brand new product though, can anyone vouch for the reliability of creative's products?

I haven't owned all generations of Creative products, but the four I did own have all been reliably good products. Only hiccup I ever had was resolved by a firmware update.

The speaker amp won't be amazing, but it'll be more than adequate for my passive bookshelf speakers.

Nov 6, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #26,783 of 48,562
I'd totally get hyped if the x7 featured a HDMI Input. 
ph34r.gif

Nov 6, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #26,785 of 48,562
  And 7.1 LPCM decoding

Yes. HDMI implies PCM, DTS-HD, True HD, DTS, AC3 et decoding (to me), as I am used to with an AVR 

Nov 6, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #26,786 of 48,562
I have the sennheiser g4me one headphones connected to my ps4. Mixamp pro is on its way in a few days. The sennheiser definitely will need an amp for a little extra boost, as I like to use the mic when playing. Which of the following amps is considered to be the best pair up for my setuo:
E11k Kilimanjaro2 - leaning this way now due to price
Fiio e12
O2
Magni

Thanks for the replies!

Nov 6, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #26,787 of 48,562
Well the O2 is going to be the best of those on sound quality, there's a reason companies make higher models, however your budget may make the E11k "best" for you.

Aaaaaand that's the best answer I can give you.

Nov 6, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #26,788 of 48,562
Well the O2 is going to be the best of those on sound quality, there's a reason companies make higher models, however your budget may make the E11k "best" for you.

Aaaaaand that's the best answer I can give you.

Do you know how the o2 requires it power source? If wall plug it will be tough in my living room. Does it have batteries in it like the fiio?

SQ super important. Willing to spend the extra if it will be a noticeable improvement with the mixamp.

Nov 6, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #26,789 of 48,562
I came here to confirm that Brainwavz HM5 is fantastic for gaming. new cod sounds excellent and the stage is really open for a closed headphone. and sound quality is just astonishing. Alsobuild quality exceeds anything i've ever seen.

using it with xonard dg in 32-64 pro gaming mode. Kinda thinking of getting some external osundcard or fiio e10. any ideas ?

Nov 6, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #26,790 of 48,562
There is a battery version and a standard version of the O2, IIRC. The battery version doesnt seem to be popular, probably since the O2 isnt THAT small and will likely eat up batteries like nothing else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back