Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 29, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #26,746 of 48,560
Um... Hello. To be concise, I'm looking for a headphone+microphone combination to replace my Siberia V2s. I stumbled upon the Samson SR850s which in the headphone buyers' guide were very highly praised for their price. (Opinions? I enjoy high-quality audio and listen mostly to metal but also calm, instrumental music.) That still leaves me lacking a microphone though.

Now here's where it gets particular: I need a microphone solution that picks up my voice, but not much else. I need to be able to use it with Voice Activation enabled on TeamSpeak, etc. so that it will never activate from keyboard rattle and mouse clicks while easily activating from my voice. This is really important for my (voice-intensive) gaming, and it's why using my Snowball iCe or other such table-top microphone is out of the question. (Plus they make me want to slouch down to talk to them...) Less essential but still preferable qualities are decent sound quality and a low level of white noise.

I was recommended the Zalman ZM-Mic 1 which is about 10 bucks and has great audio quality, but I would almost definitely need some sort of DIY-solution for it because it's a cord clip-on mic and I always keep my headphones' cord behind my shoulder rather than running down my torso. I was also recommended the Mod mic but it costs $50... 'Nuff said.

Oct 29, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #26,747 of 48,560

USB cable, optical to minioptical cable, xbox 360 microjack cable, headset y-splitter, xbox 360 headset adapter. All cables are included with the Mixamp, the adapter You'll have to buy on Your own.

Ok so from the mixamp, plug the y adapter into the green from the headset goes into green on adapter and then with the adapter theres i guess a 2.5 or 2.5 from adapter on the controller to the pink side of y adapter. Also your throwing me off by saying 360 this is is only for the xbox one.

Nope, green and pink from the headset to the splitter, splitter to the mixamp 2.5mm cable goes from the controller to the 2.5mm port on the mixamp.

Oct 29, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #26,748 of 48,560
  Um... Hello. To be concise, I'm looking for a headphone+microphone combination to replace my Siberia V2s. I stumbled upon the Samson SR850s which in the headphone buyers' guide were very highly praised for their price. (Opinions? I enjoy high-quality audio and listen mostly to metal but also calm, instrumental music.) That still leaves me lacking a microphone though.

Now here's where it gets particular: I need a microphone solution that picks up my voice, but not much else. I need to be able to use it with Voice Activation enabled on TeamSpeak, etc. so that it will never activate from keyboard rattle and mouse clicks while easily activating from my voice. This is really important for my (voice-intensive) gaming, and it's why using my Snowball iCe or other such table-top microphone is out of the question. (Plus they make me want to slouch down to talk to them...) Less essential but still preferable qualities are decent sound quality and a low level of white noise.

I was recommended the Zalman ZM-Mic 1 which is about 10 bucks and has great audio quality, but I would almost definitely need some sort of DIY-solution for it because it's a cord clip-on mic and I always keep my headphones' cord behind my shoulder rather than running down my torso. I was also recommended the Mod mic but it costs $50... 'Nuff said.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/596078/samson-sr850-velour-pads/15
Like in the picture in this thread?

Oct 29, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #26,750 of 48,560

http://www.head-fi.org/t/596078/samson-sr850-velour-pads/15
Like in the picture in this thread?

Yes, something like that! If that was available for a student-friendly price for someone in Finland, I'd be happy.

Just look for a gooseneck microphone and a 3.5mm extension cable. Not sure about that mounting bracket though.

Oct 29, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #26,752 of 48,560
http://www.micronic.co.uk/store/item/400/new-mini-3.5mm-flexible-gooseneck-laptop-microphone-mic
Sth like this should do just fine.

Oct 29, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #26,753 of 48,560
Nope, green and pink from the headset to the splitter, splitter to the mixamp 2.5mm cable goes from the controller to the 2.5mm port on the mixamp.

Ok so its basically the same exact set up as a 360 would be you just need to plug the 2.5 into that adapter they created? I used to have a 2010 mixamp to my 360 and somewhat remember the configuration.

I also have anotger question regarding a configuration for the xbox one. Can i use the lcd3, get voice chat as well as game sound from that, and use like the zalman mic with the microsoft adapter. In this configuration would i still need the mixamp for any reason since my lcd 3 would be already powered from my amp?

Oct 29, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #26,754 of 48,560

Ok so its basically the same exact set up as a 360 would be you just need to plug the 2.5 into that adapter they created? I used to have a 2010 mixamp to my 360 and somewhat remember the configuration.

I also have anotger question regarding a configuration for the xbox one. Can i use the lcd3, get voice chat as well as game sound from that, and use like the zalman mic with the microsoft adapter. In this configuration would i still need the mixamp for any reason since my lcd 3 would be already powered from my amp?

If Xbox allows for mic only input to the controller then yes.

Oct 29, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #26,755 of 48,560

I would recommend Antlion ModMic 4.0, its pretty easy to mount, has noise canceling (you will still need to set it up on your voice program to calibrate what you want to pick, etc).

Oct 30, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #26,756 of 48,560
  I would recommend Antlion ModMic 4.0, its pretty easy to mount, has noise canceling (you will still need to set it up on your voice program to calibrate what you want to pick, etc).

Yeah, but as I stated earlier it's a microphone that costs more than the headphones I'm looking to buy... I already have a condenser mic for recording purposes so I don't really see the point in dishing out $50 for another high-quality mic. I would much prefer something in the $5-15 range. The Zalman ZM-Mic 1 is still the best option I've found bang-for-buck--wise, but it's omnidirectional and according to all review data does exactly what I don't want a mic of this purpose to do: pick up EVERY SOUND in even remote proximity to it. =\

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #26,757 of 48,560
Thanks.. I guess I am a huge n00b though because I really don't have a clue what any of that means... please in laymans terms could you try and answer this question for me:  Using the AKG K712 pro's on a PS4... do I get the surround sound?

In layman's terms:
*surround directions only come from processing, like from a Turtle Beach DSS, Astro Mixamp, Soundblaster Recon3D USB, or the upcoming Soundblaster X7. There are more options for PC gamers. What I mean by surround directions is a sound that seems to come from a front-right position, or behind you, or something like that.

*the K712 is one of a few headphones that have the soundstage to fool you into thinking a sound came from outside your head rather than just feeling like it's centered somewhere between your ears. Just using the K712 with the PS4 controller or an E17 will be stereo (left/right/blend of both directions), although using the better amp of the E17 will allow a more faithful reproduction of what the K712 is capable of.

PS4 (set for Dolby bitstreaming) + DSS + E17 (for the amp) + K712 = good surround positioning that at times will trick you into thinking it comes from the room around you.
PS4 + X7 + K712 = potentially the best-case scenario for great sound and surround, with only summit-Fi gear able to improve on the sound a little bit.

Yeah, but as I stated earlier ... =\

Welcome to the guide!
A low-gain, cartiod mic is the type of mic you want, look for one that has to be mounted close to your mouth.
You could feasibly mount a regular Snowball (which has a low-gain setting so you have to be close, and an adjustable height stand), or a Samson USB mic with the low gain setting, but I don't have an automatic go-to pc gaming mic to recommend. I use a regular snowball, but usually with the PS4.

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #26,758 of 48,560
okay can someone explain this to me please?

I just got my Turtle Beach PS4 Chat Cable and I use it in the following way
ASTRO Mixamp Pro 2013 XBL Chat Output > TB PS4 Chat Cable > DS4
- I use a separate power source for the USB connection (not plugged to the PS4)

In this configuration, my voice commands work perfectly! everything gets detected without a hitch.

HOWEVER, if I were to NOT use the TB PS4 Chat Cable and plug the ASTRO USB directly to the PS4

my voice commands DO NOT work - and they do no get detected
My voice is heard on party chat though.

Can someone please explain to me what's going on? Is there something inherently wrong with my Mixamp? (it happens with my two Mixamps - one's a replacement)

Oct 30, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #26,759 of 48,560
In layman's terms:
*surround directions only come from processing, like from a Turtle Beach DSS, Astro Mixamp, Soundblaster Recon3D USB, or the upcoming Soundblaster X7. There are more options for PC gamers. What I mean by surround directions is a sound that seems to come from a front-right position, or behind you, or something like that.

*the K712 is one of a few headphones that have the soundstage to fool you into thinking a sound came from outside your head rather than just feeling like it's centered somewhere between your ears. Just using the K712 with the PS4 controller or an E17 will be stereo (left/right/blend of both directions), although using the better amp of the E17 will allow a more faithful reproduction of what the K712 is capable of.

PS4 (set for Dolby bitstreaming) + DSS + E17 (for the amp) + K712 = good surround positioning that at times will trick you into thinking it comes from the room around you.
PS4 + X7 + K712 = potentially the best-case scenario for great sound and surround, with only summit-Fi gear able to improve on the sound a little bit.
Welcome to the guide!
A low-gain, cartiod mic is the type of mic you want, look for one that has to be mounted close to your mouth.
You could feasibly mount a regular Snowball (which has a low-gain setting so you have to be close, and an adjustable height stand), or a Samson USB mic with the low gain setting, but I don't have an automatic go-to pc gaming mic to recommend. I use a regular snowball, but usually with the PS4.

The bolded part is the setup which I am planning to use... but I have no idea how I hook up both the DSS and the E17 with my PS4.  I have posted multiple times on these forums and nobody seems to know.  Can you please explain how it is possible to use this setup?  I have all of the necessary ingredients (DSS + E17 + K712 pro + PS4).  Also keep in mind that I DON'T need or want chat functionality.

Oct 30, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #26,760 of 48,560
Ok, I keep seeing that the X7 might actually be worth waiting/paying for... It does seem to answer all predicaments of pc and console gaming... hmm... welp I guess now I wait

Users who are viewing this thread

Back