Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 28, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #26,731 of 48,562
I much appreciate your quick reply... awesome stuff.  Just a couple quick questions regarding what you said... the FIIO E17 will not produce the surround effect that I desire?

Thanks for reading, very much appreciated!!!

Sure, I just explained what part of the audio chain that virtual surround processing comes in on just the previous page to this one. Should clear everything up.

Oct 28, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #26,732 of 48,562
Sure, I just explained what part of the audio chain that virtual surround processing comes in on just the previous page to this one. Should clear everything up.

Thanks.. I guess I am a huge n00b though because I really don't have a clue what any of that means... please in laymans terms could you try and answer this question for me:  Using the AKG K712 pro's on a PS4... do I get the surround sound?  Directional cues, positioning, depth, soundstage, able to hear all of the little details like footsteps and where they are coming from etc? The whole reason I bought these phones was for that reason alone pretty much lol.

Would using these phones with a FIIO E17 eliminate all of this goodness? I thought that the E17 was a DAC and AMP and thus would help improve quality as well.  Is there any particular amp I can use with these phones (ON A PS4) that will allow me to hear all of this???

Any thing you can tell me I would appreciate.

EDIT: I have done a google search on the Turtle Beach DSS/DSS2(not sure of the difference btwn these 2 units).  Would you recommend pairing the DSS with my AKG 712 pro's for good positional surround for games like Battlefield etc.???  Would it be better than an E17?

SORRY for the MASS of questions.  This is the only place I have found knowledgable people...

Oct 28, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #26,733 of 48,562
 After the new ps4 update without me pressing a button it changed my usb headset so I can now use my mic over usb..i couldn't use it before the update! p.s I am sending audio out over optical and receiving audio in from my usb mic on my headset!!!

This is great I found a go around before with plugging into the controller and unplugging. But it appears I won't need to do that anymore.

Oct 28, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #26,734 of 48,562
  Thanks.. I guess I am a huge n00b though because I really don't have a clue what any of that means... please in laymans terms could you try and answer this question for me:  Using the AKG K712 pro's on a PS4... do I get the surround sound?  Directional cues, positioning, depth, soundstage, able to hear all of the little details like footsteps and where they are coming from etc? The whole reason I bought these phones was for that reason alone pretty much lol.

Would using these phones with a FIIO E17 eliminate all of this goodness? I thought that the E17 was a DAC and AMP and thus would help improve quality as well.  Is there any particular amp I can use with these phones (ON A PS4) that will allow me to hear all of this???

Any thing you can tell me I would appreciate.

EDIT: I have done a google search on the Turtle Beach DSS/DSS2(not sure of the difference btwn these 2 units).  Would you recommend pairing the DSS with my AKG 712 pro's for good positional surround for games like Battlefield etc.???  Would it be better than an E17?

SORRY for the MASS of questions.  This is the only place I have found knowledgable people...

The Mixamp or DSS [first 1 is better than the 2 because it uses more accurate technology] is an all-in-one device, meaning it is a DSP [digital signal processor], a DAC and an amplifier.
However, the DSS/Mixamp's amping capabilities are weak and cannot drive the K712 Pro well because it is less efficient than most other headphones.
BUT, you need one of them to get the surround sound [sounds from all directions] instead of just stereo [L+R], that is why they're called DSPs.
Ideally, you want to use the DSS/Mixamp/Turtle Beach RF station to get the all-direction sound and add a second, strong amp afterwards for the K712 [Schiit Magni, Schiit Vali, Fiio E12, etc.]

Oct 28, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #26,735 of 48,562
To: All guys asking about pairing gaming headsets with Mixamp.

Mixamp (and every other virtual surround device) has an ability to make terrible headphones sound mediocre and mediocre headphones sound almost-as-good. The point is to use good headphones with it so they'll sound wonderful.

You can plug just about anything into the mixamp and the surround cues will be there. But with terrible headphones it will sound vague, You'll have to think about every sound and try to decipher it to figure out where does the sound actually come from. With good headphones You react instinctively because the sound actually comes from around Your head. There is no need for You to give it much thought, it just works. Virtual surround on bad headphones on the other hand is not seamless, it requires You to analyze each and every sound and ultimately does not provide any kind of advantage.

Oct 28, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #26,736 of 48,562

I use a dss and it works great. From what I gather its louder and has less hiss than some of the mix amps. They can often be found used on Amazon for 10-20 dollars.

I wouldn't get a dss2 as turtle beach dropped Dolby headphone on this model.

I'm not sure, but u may still need another amp depending on the 712's impedance. I use a fiio e90k with my dss to drive my beyer 990s.

Oct 28, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #26,737 of 48,562
Thanks for the info guys.  I will be getting a DSS for the surround as I do not need voice chat.

Looking forward to listening the 712 pros for music too as I am a big music guy (also produce some music) and I truly have never owned an open back headphone.  I do own a pair of ATH m50s which I love though. I use the E17 with the M50s and its a night and day difference honestly with the amp so I expect it to be even more so on the AKG's.

Oct 29, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #26,739 of 48,562
Im sorry if this has been answer before, I tried looking quick but didn't find an answer...If someone can lead me to a solution I would greatly appreciate it.

I want to know if I can hook up Sennheiser Game Zero headset (or any pc headset for that matter) with the 2013 mixamp to my xbox one. I'm pretty sure I would need the headset adapter that xbox makes, but I'm sure what else I would need to hook up. Any suggestions?

Oct 29, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #26,740 of 48,562
  Im sorry if this has been answer before, I tried looking quick but didn't find an answer...If someone can lead me to a solution I would greatly appreciate it.

I want to know if I can hook up Sennheiser Game Zero headset (or any pc headset for that matter) with the 2013 mixamp to my xbox one. I'm pretty sure I would need the headset adapter that xbox makes, but I'm sure what else I would need to hook up. Any suggestions?

USB cable, optical to minioptical cable, xbox 360 microjack cable, headset y-splitter, xbox 360 headset adapter. All cables are included with the Mixamp, the adapter You'll have to buy on Your own.

Oct 29, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #26,741 of 48,562
USB cable, optical to minioptical cable, xbox 360 microjack cable, headset y-splitter, xbox 360 headset adapter. All cables are included with the Mixamp, the adapter You'll have to buy on Your own.

Ok so from the mixamp, plug the y adapter into the green from the headset goes into green on adapter and then with the adapter theres i guess a 2.5 or 2.5 from adapter on the controller to the pink side of y adapter. Also your throwing me off by saying 360 this is is only for the xbox one.

Oct 29, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #26,742 of 48,562
Just wanted to show off my setup.
[flash=720,480]http://www.youtube.com/v/VbXbxtG0o2o&hd=1[/flash]

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbXbxtG0o2o​

Oct 29, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #26,743 of 48,562
Just wanted to show off my setup.
[flash=720,480]http://www.youtube.com/v/VbXbxtG0o2o&hd=1[/flash]

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbXbxtG0o2o​

That is quite nice! I would love to do gaming on my ps4 with a keyboard and mouse too! (cannot use a controller to save my life... literally...). Unfortunately, my current room set up does not let me use my house and keyboard :/ maybe someday. I will add you on psn probably today as I play lots of destiny too! And I am trying to get people to join me for raids and stuff. I am kinda thinking about getting a closed headphone/set set up for work/LAN and stuff but I am unsure still if I really do NEED it lol.

Oct 29, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #26,744 of 48,562
  That is quite nice! I would love to do gaming on my ps4 with a keyboard and mouse too! (cannot use a controller to save my life... literally...). Unfortunately, my current room set up does not let me use my house and keyboard :/ maybe someday. I will add you on psn probably today as I play lots of destiny too! And I am trying to get people to join me for raids and stuff. I am kinda thinking about getting a closed headphone/set set up for work/LAN and stuff but I am unsure still if I really do NEED it lol.

Thanks, the xim4 is an amazing tool, definatly destroys last generation of adapters with wicked 1:1 accuracy and smoothness you get on pc. Playing destiny on it feels like im playing a pc game and zero micro movements.  You can add me but i may only get to accepting it this weekend, going to be busy the next few days with homework and girlfriend.  The people who are on this website regularly are really smart, especially in this thread alone so they can answer your questions pretty easily also the first page helps you decide what you are looking for. 

Oct 29, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #26,745 of 48,562
So what about this?

"The x7 has a switchable output impedance of 4-8 ohms for passive speakers. This is only necessary for passive speakers. So it is irrelevant for powered speakers. It doesn't even use the same connectors. Which means it has no bearing on these... Which say they have an input impedance of 10 ohms... What's that mean?

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/B2031A.aspx

BTW... These have switchable voltage, and seeing as I'm in the US and not Europe... As it mentions in the manual I'd need to switch out the fuse. Anyone know how one even does that? Is it easy?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back