Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 14, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #46,773 of 48,561
On the subject of Warzone/Modern Warfare audio (same engine so applicable to both) the thing that drives me bonkers with that game is how multiple "things" happening at once (e.g., an airstrike, gunshots, clusters, truck driving by) does not just muffle or drown out footstep audio, it completely eliminates it for whatever arbitrary amount of time that particular audio track plays. So like in a normal situation as a cluster strike is happening, sure, you shouldn't hear even very loud footsteps, but as the sound dies down whatever audio file that sound is playing from is (I am explaining this non-technically) basically completely eliminating the footstep track from playing, it is just non existent. Or even if it is a quieter noise or something where you should still hear the footsteps, even a little, nope. Nothing. Just on/off. Super annoying.

This is on top of all the other inconsistencies I have with that game's audio, mainly centered on inconsistent footstep audio vis a vis various textures and geometry (like walking on a wooden floor right underneath you is whisper quiet, but walking on a stone floor in the prison 30 feet below and through thick stone walls sounds like a freight train), and/or how audio occlusion by the map geometry is sometimes just totally weird and inconsistent. (E.g. in some areas you move one foot to the left of a window or a room and boom, hear outside loud and clear, move back and it's all muffled or gone, or how if you're inside it is harder to hear the guy outside versus he can hear you perfectly inside while he is outside from the same distance and vice versa, or how a rustling bush from 20 feet was louder than a running footfall, stuff like that.

You basically had to memorize not just the map of Verdansk but how each building and area sounded with its individual pecularities.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #46,774 of 48,561
- In-game WZ sounded the best it ever has for me. Not that WZ sounds that good to begin with IMO.

On the subject of Warzone/Modern Warfare audio (same engine so applicable to both) the thing that drives me bonkers with that game is how multiple "things" happening at once (e.g., an airstrike, gunshots, clusters, truck driving by) does not just muffle or drown out footstep audio, it completely eliminates it for whatever arbitrary amount of time that particular audio track plays. So like in a normal situation as a cluster strike is happening, sure, you shouldn't hear even very loud footsteps, but as the sound dies down whatever audio file that sound is playing from is (I am explaining this non-technically) basically completely eliminating the footstep track from playing, it is just non existent. Or even if it is a quieter noise or something where you should still hear the footsteps, even a little, nope. Nothing. Just on/off. Super annoying.

This is on top of all the other inconsistencies I have with that game's audio, mainly centered on inconsistent footstep audio vis a vis various textures and geometry (like walking on a wooden floor right underneath you is whisper quiet, but walking on a stone floor in the prison 30 feet below and through thick stone walls sounds like a freight train), and/or how audio occlusion by the map geometry is sometimes just totally weird and inconsistent. (E.g. in some areas you move one foot to the left of a window or a room and boom, hear outside loud and clear, move back and it's all muffled or gone, or how if you're inside it is harder to hear the guy outside versus he can hear you perfectly inside while he is outside from the same distance and vice versa, or how a rustling bush from 20 feet was louder than a running footfall, stuff like that.

You basically had to memorize not just the map of Verdansk but how each building and area sounded with its individual pecularities.
Totally agree. If there's one negative with improving audio hardware and then playing warzone, it's that the poor audio becomes more obvious.

Apr 14, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #46,776 of 48,561
Honestly, I don't think warzone sounds worst than other online multiplayer games I have played past years (Overwatch, Destiny, Apex).

The effect you describe is very real though. I have a feeling it must be some kind of bandwidth limitation or something? Purely guessing here. Once x amount of sounds are played, others cannot be played. Same thing happened in Apex when some legends used their ults.

Its more an exception when a game handles audio well, sadly.

Apr 14, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #46,777 of 48,561
Awesome. Between Waves NX and Redscape, which do you prefer? I know generally you like SBX the most, but I figure I'd try some of these other options before I do an optical connection from the sound card to my external DAC for SBX.
I like SBX the least. The rear cues and side cues sound too similar to each other. Waves NX, with measurements, is spot on crazy good for gaming, not so good for 5.1 music. Redscape is better for 5.,1 music, and I am still fiddling with it in gaming, as the measurement sliders are counter-intuitive, and require in-game experimenting. Otherwise, Redscape is pretty solid with defaults, and a bit more flushed out as an application.

On a side note, I did a mini-review of the M1070: M1070 Review

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #46,778 of 48,561
I like SBX the least. The rear cues and side cues sound too similar to each other. Waves NX, with measurements, is spot on crazy good for gaming, not so good for 5.1 music. Redscape is better for 5.,1 music, and I am still fiddling with it in gaming, as the measurement sliders are counter-intuitive, and require in-game experimenting. Otherwise, Redscape is pretty solid with defaults, and a bit more flushed out as an application.

Oh, my bad. Thanks! I'll have to try Redscape out

Apr 15, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #46,779 of 48,561

Nice review. I wouldn't exactly call it mini. It was quite detailed. :thumbsup:

... I'm using the included TRRS adapter and it works fine ...
Strike that. It sorta fell apart yesterday afternoon. I noticed it because one of the channels faded away. I was able to "push" it back together, but it's not good. I had ordered a second and I'm using that for now. I ordered a better one from somewhere else as these are too flimsy.

I just saw this the other day which was very detailed imho. Always too lazy to do it myself (especially because on console, but lets be real, mostly just laziness). His quoted frequency ranges are quite a bit lower than I expected honestly, and I personally wouldn't introduce a dip just for gulach, but I think it would be a nice starting point at least. I guess that is the other drawback for using a Hel over the G6 on console, but I didn't really do any EQ anyway.

Even with the USB cables they provided? Because they are very snug for my unit. On the other hand, some phone cables were horrible for sure.

I ran with the footstep bump as he instructed. Nice improvement. Especially footsteps in the distance. Good advice.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #46,780 of 48,561
Hello honored hifi-heads! Sorry for the long incoherent post and bless you, if you are able to make sense of it!
I've been rocking a pair of AKG ear buds worth 10$ for years now and I thought it was time to try something else! I have been looking at reviews and comparisons for the last 2 weeks and I would love to make a decision soon, I am getting consumed by using so much time on trying to decide!
I do not have any sort of DAC or AMP. I don't play FPS at a competitive level, but loads of singleplayer RPG's and open world games, the only FPS I play is Hunt: Showdown and even my 10$ earbuds manages to make use of the spatial sound to create pretty good imaging in that game. It seems like Beyerdynamics DT-990 has better sound imaging than the Fidelio X2HR but it seems like you sacrifice some of the "fun"/"entertainment" for that extra competitive edge.
Music tastes are all over the place, not 1 genre that overshadows the others comes to mind.
I have decided on open-back headphones for the soundstage, having a budget around 160-200$, which will be used as a multi-purpose pair of headphones for both gaming, entertainment and music. I was considering getting a ModMic or V-moda boompro for the headphones that support a 3,5 mm.
Sadly I haven't got the slightest clue as to what kind of "house-sound" I like (E.G. Beyerdynamics, Sennheiser,).
Pricing is a bit weird in Denmark, sadly the Sennheisers (was looking at Hd58x and Pc37x or Pc38x from Drop) all demand a 50$ import tax.
Can't seem to find the SHP9500 anywhere either.

These are the available choices that I have narrowed it down to:
160$: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro, 250 ohm (would need an AMP? can't seem to find the 32 ohm version anywhere),
160$: AKG 702,
160$: (currently on sale until May 1st.): Fidelio X2HR, (the only pair that I can buy locally for some reason)
160$: Audio technica ATH m50x
160$: Sennheiser HD 599: (https://www.thomann.de/dk/sennheiser_hd_599.htm)
120$+50$: Drop x Sennheiser pc37x
170$+50$: Drop x Sennheiser pc38x
170$+50$: Drop x Sennheiser hd58x
225$:Sennheiser 560s

100$: Sennheiser 559 (https://www.thomann.de/dk/sennheiser_hd_559.htm)
100$: Audio technica ATH m40x (https://www.thomann.de/dk/audio_technica_ath_m40_x.htm)

So anyways, a good multipurpose pair of open-back headphones that isn't exclusively made for competitive FPS but still offer some sort of soundstage/imaging, whilst also being enjoyable for entertainment purposes like movies/listening to music.

Apr 19, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #46,783 of 48,561
Apr 20, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #46,784 of 48,561
Anyone have an idea of how the opitcal out works with the Sound Blaster AE-9? I know for the RCA connection, it brings everything over to the external device. How about for optical? Is it VSS only? Or is it also affected by op amp swapping?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back