Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 31, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #26,762 of 48,561
I have lurked around the forum for a while and would really love suggestions and/or feedback. The information that I have learned leads me to believe I would appreciate the following attributes:

Budget: Upwards of $200, but would prefer less if possible (I plan to search ebay, amazon etc.).
Uses: 99% PC gaming.
Preference: Open, over ear – I prefer non-synthetic leather substances for padding. Also, I wear glasses and appreciate the breathability, sound quality, and comfort.
Connection: 3.5mm wired connection.
Current headset: Razer Carcharias. I have had these for 3 years and have been having some mic issues.
Other Info: Built in quality mic -my current challenges with my setup revolve around poor mic issues. Also, I am a novice here and don't know much about doing mods to headphones, etc. I realize that a consistent recommendation here is to invest in a sound card, headphones, and an independent mic setup. I don't think that would work well for my situation. I try to game fairly quietly in a shared living room.

Any suggestions (or even feedback) would be greatly appreciated!

Nov 1, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #26,763 of 48,561
Turtle beach has a new "elite" dts completely wireless unit coming out on the 4th. May be worth having just for the convenience factor.

Apparently it's only designed for use with the PS4 for some reason.

Anyone here have any ideas for a mod so the Bluetooth connection could work with a PC and PC games?

If not I'll probably go with the AKG 712's/Fiio/ModMic setup and deal with the wires/enjoy the superior sound

The Elite 800 concept is very appealing, though. Shame we're just not “there" yet in terms of sound quality/universal compatibility (although I feel like Turtle Beach is dragging their feet on both these fronts).

Maybe in another 2 years or so the marketplace will have evolved

Nov 1, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #26,764 of 48,561
Apparently it's only designed for use with the PS4 for some reason.

Anyone here have any ideas for a mod so the Bluetooth connection could work with a PC and PC games?

If not I'll probably go with the AKG 712's/Fiio/ModMic setup and deal with the wires/enjoy the superior sound

The Elite 800 concept is very appealing, though. Shame we're just not “there" yet in terms of sound quality/universal compatibility (although I feel like Turtle Beach is dragging their feet on both these fronts).

Maybe in another 2 years or so the marketplace will have evolved

Honestly, turtle beach wont change much....the way they have "tried" to evolve ever since they started the company, has only been mediocre stuff. They try to introduce new tech only for another company to make it way better and leave turtle beach in the dust. Turtle beach was really meant for people that dont care about sound at all and only care about buying "gaming" labeled stuff or just because their friends have a turtle beach headset. 

Nov 1, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #26,766 of 48,561
  I have lurked around the forum for a while and would really love suggestions and/or feedback. The information that I have learned leads me to believe I would appreciate the following attributes:

Budget: Upwards of $200, but would prefer less if possible (I plan to search ebay, amazon etc.).
Uses: 99% PC gaming.
Preference: Open, over ear – I prefer non-synthetic leather substances for padding. Also, I wear glasses and appreciate the breathability, sound quality, and comfort.
Connection: 3.5mm wired connection.
Current headset: Razer Carcharias. I have had these for 3 years and have been having some mic issues.
Other Info: Built in quality mic -my current challenges with my setup revolve around poor mic issues. Also, I am a novice here and don't know much about doing mods to headphones, etc. I realize that a consistent recommendation here is to invest in a sound card, headphones, and an independent mic setup. I don't think that would work well for my situation. I try to game fairly quietly in a shared living room.

Any suggestions (or even feedback) would be greatly appreciated!

Try Sennheiser PC360 and it's brethren, should cover all Your needs.

As for the soundcard, Asus Xonar line should be just fine. AFAIK the DSP unit is the same for all cards, they differ in dac and amp sections though. Just pick one in Your budget, You can buy an external dac/amp later.

Nov 1, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #26,767 of 48,561
I am talking about HM5 btw. I was not too specific

I hated them. Sound hollow and clamp like one of Jigsaw's torture devices. Apparently there is an identical type from another company that fixes the sound issues and clamp issue.
Glad I bought them though discovered how amazing their pads are on the CAL! Series. They are also good for mods /shrug I wouldn't know gave them to my brother just to get them out of my site.

Nov 2, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #26,769 of 48,561
@Brom
May be you should test an ATH AD 700 or an AKG 612. With the AKG you should have a little bit more bass.
Or you buy a Sennheiser HD558 and mod it to an HD598. With a good Soundcard (good for gaming), you may not need to spend extra money for an Amp.

Nov 2, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #26,770 of 48,561
Hmmm... So I feel like I would be open to grabbing some quality headphones and then dropping a modmic onto them. I know nothing about soundcards and amps though. Could you give me more info on those, or provide me with a link to more info? Thanks for all your help so far everyone!!!

Nov 2, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #26,771 of 48,561
Sennheiser G4ME One below 100€

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/aw/d/B00JQDOALC/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/280-5148905-0497556?redirect=true

Nov 2, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #26,773 of 48,561
Hi friends, i will travel to germany this christmas and i would like to do an upgrade on my headphones. Im using atm the Tritton 720+( i know thats a headset ahha), i know they are not the best. Im planning to use them(the new ones) for gaming and to music.

Any suggestions less than 200 euros?
I was looking at the start on a "Philips Fidelio X1 / 00 premium"( http://www.amazon.de/dp/B008ZW2T7M ) or a DT 770 PRO 80ohm version or 32ohm.

If this setup is not good pls give me some help, i wish to get the best sound possible for the money i have.

And i wish to know if that is a upgrade to consider, if i will notice big difference between mine and the new one.

Thanks for any help!

PS. im brazilian so i cant buy from United States right now, just from Germany atm.

Nov 5, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #26,775 of 48,561
  Ok, I keep seeing that the X7 might actually be worth waiting/paying for... It does seem to answer all predicaments of pc and console gaming... hmm... welp I guess now I wait

Don't let the hype fool you.  Right now the X7 doesn't exist so everything is based on some info sheets.  It may or may not be good.  It will be expensive.  Depending on how expensive, and how many o the features you use, you could get other equivalent options for cheaper.

I know Evs is super excited about it, but I'm taking a more "wait and see" approach.  I'm not convinced it'll be worthwhile at the prices people are expecting.

EDIT:  1500!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back