Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 27, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #46,803 of 48,561
No tolls on the highway to hel
T2PD1QV.png

Apr 27, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #46,805 of 48,561
Apr 27, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #46,806 of 48,561
I am personally pleasantly surprised by the positional information in stereo with a good source and headphone. I am also really surprised by the improved sound quality with not using VSS, it just sounds better, even though less immersive.

I will have to admit though, that my VSS source was pretty bad (Mixamp gen 2), and my stereo source is a lot better (Schiit hel).

In the end, I think both have a pretty long learning curve, if you have hundred of hours in a game with or without VSS, switching will be very weird.

I personally don't think I am ever going back to external VSS on PS5. Either the Tempest engine will give an improvement with future games, or I will just do with good stereo.

my source could definitely be better. just using my headphone out from my audio interface (scarlett solo) for now and i'll look to be upgrading to a jotunheim 2 or something similar. my headphone that i'm testing is the 560s which is supposed to be pretty decent for soundstage and imaging.

for now the best AQ i've had while gaming has been the mobius

Apr 28, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #46,809 of 48,561
I'm both stupid and new to this, so excuse any "interesting" questions.

My Audeze Mobius broke four times, they're more tape than headset right now and I'm ready to move on (still deciding between HE400i 2020, Sundara, 1060C[open mod], or M570 - if you have any recommendation between these or any other open planars in the 150-350€ range feel free to shoot). I want a setup where I can switch between my PC and PS5 without unplugging & plugging cables, fortunately the Hel2 seems like the perfect solution with its automatic UAC1 mode when plugged onto a PS5 and the USB/optical input switch up front. I have the following doubts and things I want to confirm:

1) Does the UAC1 format only affect the USB port (connected to PS5), or does it somehow screw with any other part of the unit in some way? (considering the optical plug will be connected to my PC)
2) How does the Optical port work? Will it only input PC sound to the amp (I'd have to connect the mic directly to the PC for calls) or does it also transfer mic info to the PC with the mic connected to Hel2?
3) Are there any shenanigans I can do with the preamp output other than its intended use? For example connecting my Dualsense to it while the switch is on optical (PC), or connecting it to PC while the switch in on USB (PS5) to hear both sources at the same time or some such heresy.
4) Any idea if Hel2 will have European stock before 2027?

Thanks in advance.

Apr 28, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #46,810 of 48,561
I'm both stupid and new to this, so excuse any "interesting" questions.

My Audeze Mobius broke four times, they're more tape than headset right now and I'm ready to move on (still deciding between HE400i 2020, Sundara, 1060C[open mod], or M570 - if you have any recommendation between these or any other open planars in the 150-350€ range feel free to shoot). I want a setup where I can switch between my PC and PS5 without unplugging & plugging cables, fortunately the Hel2 seems like the perfect solution with its automatic UAC1 mode when plugged onto a PS5 and the USB/optical input switch up front. I have the following doubts and things I want to confirm:

1) Does the UAC1 format only affect the USB port (connected to PS5), or does it somehow screw with any other part of the unit in some way? (considering the optical plug will be connected to my PC)
2) How does the Optical port work? Will it only input PC sound to the amp (I'd have to connect the mic directly to the PC for calls) or does it also transfer mic info to the PC with the mic connected to Hel2?
3) Are there any shenanigans I can do with the preamp output other than its intended use? For example connecting my Dualsense to it while the switch is on optical (PC), or connecting it to PC while the switch in on USB (PS5) to hear both sources at the same time or some such heresy.
4) Any idea if Hel2 will have European stock before 2027?

Thanks in advance.
I have been switching the usb cable between pc and ps5. It works but is not very optimal.

If you already have an optic output on your pc, your plan could work, you won't get mic input though (optical cable is a one way cable).

I am thinking to get a usb switch box or something, not sure if that is going to hamper sound or something

Apr 28, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #46,811 of 48,561
Apr 30, 2021 at 3:54 AM Post #46,813 of 48,561
Have you looked at the M1070? I believe they are still $330 at monoprice.com
I have, but got worried about the build quality, the metal holding the cups bends so easily that I'm afraid some day they'll simply snap off after getting bent back and forth so much (accidentally or otherwise)

I have been switching the usb cable between pc and ps5. It works but is not very optimal.

If you already have an optic output on your pc, your plan could work, you won't get mic input though (optical cable is a one way cable).

I am thinking to get a usb switch box or something, not sure if that is going to hamper sound or something
Know what? this isn't too bad of a compromise, in that case I'd only have the switch USB cable when I want to talk on either one, rather than wanting to listen ( which is much more frequent).

Apr 30, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #46,814 of 48,561
Can I use Creative G6 as a stand alone Amp ? When an analog signal is inputted to line-in, which of the following happens: ?

(1) Analog signal inputted to linein -> analog signal is amplified by the amp section -> analog signal is outputted to headphone out.

(2) Analog signal inputted to linein -> ADC converts it to a digital signal -> DSP is done to the digital signal -> digital signal is converted to analog by the DAC -> analog signal is amplified by the amp section -> analog signal is outputted to headphone out.

Apr 30, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #46,815 of 48,561
Fairly certain it'll just use the amp section alone. You can add the dsp, but it'll just be expanded stereo. I don't recommend that.

In other news, I'm mostly done with the Razer Blackshark V2 review, and I should be posting it up hopefully by Wednesday at the very latest. Most likely this Mon/Tue upcoming.

hel2bsv2mic.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back