Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 13, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #46,757 of 48,561
My DT990 Pro 250ohms broke down due to "overdriving" as mentioned by the shop I bought it from and refuses to cover warranty while asking me to pay up $130 for the repair. I honestly don't remember abusing or even playing at max volume else, I should be deaf by now.
$130 is way too expensive and honestly, I'm considering buying an X2HR for that amount.

I haven't tried an X2HR yet so I just wanted to ask if it's worth it to buy that rather than repair my DT990 pro in a gaming perspective?

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #46,758 of 48,561
Sounds like they're just trying to scam you into not fixing it.

I highly recommend the X2.

Apr 13, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #46,759 of 48,561
Just go directly to Beyerdynamic and skip the shop.

Apr 13, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #46,760 of 48,561
You need to go into settings, and there's a Info icon where the head measurements are. This will open up a PDF with instructions on how to measure that noggin of yours, so that the cues will be accurate with the timings for your head. Just use a nice cloth measuring tape.

Waves NX and Redscape support up to 32/96, so you shouldn't have to worry about resampling. (Waves NX will just match your DAC settings, Redscape has manual selection option) Dolby Access and DTS:X is limited to 24/48.
Okay so I got it working via the onboard sound port (for a while at least, it was kinda mental and temperamental) and lost the bass and treble control I was used to via the soundcard, is that why you were suggesting full mechanical adjustment via external amp/dac? In an open world game, the VOICE preset sounded better...I was using the FREE version for the test, does the paid version offer more customization presets or is that done with altering the head size?

Apr 13, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #46,762 of 48,561
You need to go into settings, and there's a Info icon where the head measurements are. This will open up a PDF with instructions on how to measure that noggin of yours, so that the cues will be accurate with the timings for your head. Just use a nice cloth measuring tape.

Waves NX and Redscape support up to 32/96, so you shouldn't have to worry about resampling. (Waves NX will just match your DAC settings, Redscape has manual selection option) Dolby Access and DTS:X is limited to 24/48.

Awesome. Between Waves NX and Redscape, which do you prefer? I know generally you like SBX the most, but I figure I'd try some of these other options before I do an optical connection from the sound card to my external DAC for SBX.

Apr 14, 2021 at 4:50 AM Post #46,763 of 48,561
So far really liking my Schiit Hel 2, only tested the headphone out (PC38x, Audioquest nightowl, Sivga SV006). Tested it for about 3 hours of music and 2 hours of gaming (warzone) yesterday.

Some observations:

• Sound is very smooth yet refined.
  • Volume pot is very nice.
  • The switches feel very nice too, very analogue if that makes sense.
  • In general it looks really good, I personally am a stickler for red and black. The red is pretty subtle though.
  • Nice packaging, everything was sealed. Nice USB-C cables.
  • Included 1/4 to 3.5 mm adapter is absolutely horrible, it looks very cheap and it was crooked too, its a joke. Weird schiit they went this way honestly, but whatever. Didn't sound bad or anything. The trrs to seperate mic/headphone cable looks so much better.
  • Works perfectly fine with laptop via USB hub (inside monitor).
  • Works perfectly fine with PS5, my friends didn't notice anything different in how my mic sounded (which is fine, it was pretty good with mixamp).
  • Channel imbalance travel on volume is pretty short. 8 o clock and it is already gone. Haven't noticed any issues, because all headphones wanted more volume than that. (haven't tested IEMs, can try if someone would like to)
  • 10 o clock is the most I have used so far, on low gain, on PC38x / nightowl / Sivga SV006
  • Sound while gaming was very crisp. No chat audio mix knob is a small drawback to mixamp, but I think that would be impossible with only 1 input (USB). The PS5 chat/game audio mix slider is not hard to reach and is sufficient imho.
  • Surprised how well Schiit/FedEx handled shipping to EU, heard a lot of horror stories about FedEx but it was here in 6 days, with a completely intact box (FedEx International Priority)

Some small quirks:

Comparison to Soundblaster G6 (bought B-stock when Hel was delayed):

• Sound of the hell seemed a little bit more relaxed and refined. But after trying to A/B a few songs for an hour, I am honestly not sure if there is a difference. There might be, but it is small.
  • G6 volume knob is horrible if you have sensitive headphones (I was at windows volume 2 sometimes...). Constant fear of blowing up my headphones/ears if I accidentally would put it at full volume. Also really hard to make the volume exactly what you want, since the only playroom was between 2 and 12 or so. I am old-school, I like to keep my windows volume at 100 and do volume control in the analogue domain (even though I don't think that matters anymore nowadays)
  • Hell looks 10x as good, dare I say sexy.
  • Hell has more power for sure, but I personally don't need it.
  • The Hell was 3 times as expensive as the G6, but still decided to keep it and return the G6, I guess looks and usability are more important than I thought!
  • Overal the G6 is an insane value buy on B-Stock (it is on B-stock right now in EU store).
If anyone has anything specific to test etc please let me know :)

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #46,764 of 48,561
My DT990 Pro 250ohms broke down due to "overdriving" as mentioned by the shop I bought it from and refuses to cover warranty while asking me to pay up $130 for the repair. I honestly don't remember abusing or even playing at max volume else, I should be deaf by now.
$130 is way too expensive and honestly, I'm considering buying an X2HR for that amount.

I haven't tried an X2HR yet so I just wanted to ask if it's worth it to buy that rather than repair my DT990 pro in a gaming perspective?

I don't know where you live, but I think in EU they are the ones who have to proof you broke it by abusing the product, at least within the first year.
I would go back to the shop asking them to show you why/how they conclude you overdrove it. If they are not providing any more service I would email Beyerdynamic for sure with your story.

Apr 14, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #46,765 of 48,561
So far really liking my Schiit Hel 2, only tested the headphone out (PC38x, Audioquest nightowl, Sivga SV006). Tested it for about 3 hours of music and 2 hours of gaming (warzone) yesterday.

Some observations:

• Sound is very smooth yet refined.
  • Volume pot is very nice.
  • The switches feel very nice too, very analogue if that makes sense.
  • In general it looks really good, I personally am a stickler for red and black. The red is pretty subtle though.
  • Nice packaging, everything was sealed. Nice USB-C cables.
  • Included 1/4 to 3.5 mm adapter is absolutely horrible, it looks very cheap and it was crooked too, its a joke. Weird schiit they went this way honestly, but whatever. Didn't sound bad or anything. The trrs to seperate mic/headphone cable looks so much better.
  • Works perfectly fine with laptop via USB hub (inside monitor).
  • Works perfectly fine with PS5, my friends didn't notice anything different in how my mic sounded (which is fine, it was pretty good with mixamp).
  • Channel imbalance travel on volume is pretty short. 8 o clock and it is already gone. Haven't noticed any issues, because all headphones wanted more volume than that. (haven't tested IEMs, can try if someone would like to)
  • 10 o clock is the most I have used so far, on low gain, on PC38x / nightowl / Sivga SV006
  • Sound while gaming was very crisp. No chat audio mix knob is a small drawback to mixamp, but I think that would be impossible with only 1 input (USB). The PS5 chat/game audio mix slider is not hard to reach and is sufficient imho.
  • Surprised how well Schiit/FedEx handled shipping to EU, heard a lot of horror stories about FedEx but it was here in 6 days, with a completely intact box (FedEx International Priority)

Some small quirks:

Comparison to Soundblaster G6 (bought B-stock when Hel was delayed):

• Sound of the hell seemed a little bit more relaxed and refined. But after trying to A/B a few songs for an hour, I am honestly not sure if there is a difference. There might be, but it is small.
  • G6 volume knob is horrible if you have sensitive headphones (I was at windows volume 2 sometimes...). Constant fear of blowing up my headphones/ears if I accidentally would put it at full volume. Also really hard to make the volume exactly what you want, since the only playroom was between 2 and 12 or so. I am old-school, I like to keep my windows volume at 100 and do volume control in the analogue domain (even though I don't think that matters anymore nowadays)
  • Hell looks 10x as good, dare I say sexy.
  • Hell has more power for sure, but I personally don't need it.
  • The Hell was 3 times as expensive as the G6, but still decided to keep it and return the G6, I guess looks and usability are more important than I thought!
  • Overal the G6 is an insane value buy on B-Stock (it is on B-stock right now in EU store).
If anyone has anything specific to test etc please let me know :)
Nice write-up :thumbsup:

I'll echo most of your observations. I only run mine from PC via USB. I've used it direct to the PC (2020 AW M15 R3), and currently through a powered hub, with no discernible difference between the two .

I used it for about five hours last night in WZ, and here's my take so far.

- Windows recognizes this thing right away.
- Volume between 10:00 and 11:30 at high gain with volume on PC38X set at about 2/3. Windows volume at 100%. The thing has plenty of power. Someday when I'm bored I'll hook up my LCD-2Cs.
- Mic gain at about 11:30 with level in Windows set at 50%. Friends said it sounded "fine", but I didn't press them for details. Nobody complained, which is ultimately what matters. When I tested with mic-test.com I noticed I sounded much better compared to the headset jack on my PC. Fuller, cleaner (I'm bad at describing sound). This goes for Discord and in-game chat.
- In-game WZ sounded the best it ever has for me. Not that WZ sounds that good to begin with IMO.
- Positional cues via Dolby Atmos were very good. I do need to tweak my eq to accentuate footsteps a bit more to my liking, but running my settings used for the headset jack were pretty close.
- I enjoyed the big smooth volume control. Much better than a control on the headset.
- Mine shipped on a Wednesday and arrived on the following Monday in good condition from Schiit to Michigan.
- My 1/8 to 1/4 adapter was in fine shape, but not the nicest one I've ever seen. I'm using the included TRRS adapter and it works fine.
- The thing runs cool. Not like my Jot 2.

Negatives and quirks:
- USB ports are loose ... looking for a solution.
- Mic gain knob was "uneven" when new and hard to turn in spots. That's loosening up nicely though.
- Running Atmos, I'm limited to 24/48KHz which is ok. If I try to set it higher, Atmos is disabled. If I set it lower, latency is introduced. It's hard to quantify, but I'm guessing at least 250 ms. Unacceptable for a FPS. For a hot minute I was about ready to pack this up and send it back, but I figured it out.

In less than an hour last night, I sorta forgot about the thing. The sound was good, I was able to dial everything in, and nobody said "huh ... what the hell did you just say?". It disappeared and I was able to focus on getting wrecked in WZ. Which is a good thing. Overall, I'd say it's definitely worth the asking price.

IZJJpS6.png

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #46,766 of 48,561
The reason Atmos caps at 48khz, is because it's taking from a basic source and converting those channels down to 2.1. anything higher would be of the high res variety like Dolby Digital EX, or DTS-HD or whatever. Virtual surround doesn't work with those.

Every virtual surround device either changes to 48khz or won't allow virtual surround to work. Like the X7/G6/Xonar U3, etc.

For one, these things were originally made to be piped through spdif, which only has so much bandwidth. You can do two channel at 24/192 (iirc), or 5.1 at 48khz. So my guess Atmos for Headphones adheres to a bandwidth limitation.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #46,767 of 48,561
The reason Atmos caps at 48khz, is because it's taking from a 7.1 source and converting those 7.1 channels down to 2.1. anything higher would be of the high res variety like Dolby Digital EX, or DTS-HD or whatever. Virtual surround doesn't work with those. It'll look for the basic containers DD or DTS.

Every virtual surround device either changes to 48khz or won't allow virtual surround to work. Like the X7/G6/Xonar U3, etc.
I went through almost a day of troubleshooting figuring this out. I tried everything I could think of. I learned a lot along the way though, so it wasn't time wasted.

Apr 14, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #46,768 of 48,561
Yeah regardless of Atmos Headphone marketing, virtual surround is taking information from a set amount of virtual speakers. I don't know much about high res surround audio, but I do know virtual surround dsps limit themselves to standard res audio due to how many channels they must take from.

There'd be no point to giving us a 24/96khz or higher choice when the original signals were all lower res. Maybe oversampling, though I dunno how that'd function for virtual surround.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #46,769 of 48,561
- Positional cues via Dolby Atmos were very good. I do need to tweak my eq to accentuate footsteps a bit more to my liking, but running my settings used for the headset jack were pretty close.

I just saw this the other day which was very detailed imho. Always too lazy to do it myself (especially because on console, but lets be real, mostly just laziness). His quoted frequency ranges are quite a bit lower than I expected honestly, and I personally wouldn't introduce a dip just for gulach, but I think it would be a nice starting point at least. I guess that is the other drawback for using a Hel over the G6 on console, but I didn't really do any EQ anyway.

- USB ports are loose ... looking for a solution.

Even with the USB cables they provided? Because they are very snug for my unit. On the other hand, some phone cables were horrible for sure.

Apr 14, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #46,770 of 48,561
... His quoted frequency ranges are quite a bit lower than I expected honestly, and I personally wouldn't introduce a dip just for gulach, but I think it would be a nice starting point at least. I guess that is the other drawback for using a Hel over the G6 on console, but I didn't really do any EQ anyway.

Even with the USB cables they provided? Because they are very snug for my unit. On the other hand, some phone cables were horrible for sure.
Great video. Thanks for sharing that. I hadn't bumped that far in the 150 range yet, but I'll give that a try. I do already run with the dip he mentioned. An advantage of PC over console ... being able to use a more advanced Parametric EQ like Equalizer APO that he mentioned (I use it with the Peace interface).

I'm using the cables that came with the Schiit. They're very loose. I will keep looking for a solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back