Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 2, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #45,799 of 48,562
If you're not worried about being wireless or not, then yes, I too would just get a PC38X.

Penrose for the convenience and versatility of wireless, bluetooth, and aux input. PC38x for any other general use.

That being said, of you want closed back, the PC38X can't help you there. Penrose would be my first stop for closed back Headphones.

Dec 3, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #45,800 of 48,562
If you're not worried about being wireless or not, then yes, I too would just get a PC38X.

Penrose for the convenience and versatility of wireless, bluetooth, and aux input. PC38x for any other general use.

That being said, of you want closed back, the PC38X can't help you there. Penrose would be my first stop for closed back Headphones.
Yeah, it’s sad that PC38X are closed back. Sound leaking is problem when living with someone

Dec 3, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #45,801 of 48,562
Yeah, it’s sad that PC38X are closed back. Sound leaking is problem when living with someone
I'm sure you meant ISN'T closed back...

And to be honest, sound leak ISN'T a problem, unless they're in the same room as you.

I've never had issues with bothering others with my open backed headphones aside from planarmagnetics which are like speakers and leak a looooot more than dynamic headphones.

With the PC38X, if you're in a bedroom, just closing the door would keep the sound from bothering anyone else.

Dec 3, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #45,802 of 48,562
I'm sure you meant ISN'T closed back...

And to be honest, sound leak ISN'T a problem, unless they're in the same room as you.

I've never had issues with bothering others with my open backed headphones aside from planarmagnetics which are like speakers and leak a looooot more than dynamic headphones.

With the PC38X, if you're in a bedroom, just closing the door would keep the sound from bothering anyone else.
Ymmv but I’ve never heard a complaint about my open backs from people in the same room

Dec 3, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #45,803 of 48,562
Was so close to getting the Penrose, think I've ordered and cancelled about 3 times this year and as they still haven't reached the UK I decided to cancel for the last time yesterday and stick to wireless. I do enjoy using my PC38x and once I get a warranty replacement G6 back from Creative, I expect they'll be pushed to a better level compared to via the Dualsense I currently connect them too.

For me though, I'm enjoying the Beyer Tygr 300r more - especially from a comfort point of view but also from an audio perspective so equally keen to see how these perform with the G6 :)

Dec 3, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #45,806 of 48,562
@Mad Lust Envy
I read many pages ago your thoughts on the various windows sound plugins. In the end I actually came to prefer atmos for headphones, then DTS:X headphone, lastly waves NX (opposite of what your thoughts were). Wondering if you had tried the "Razer THX Spatial Audio App"? There is a free trial, would be good if you could compare that with the others for us all.

Thanks

Dec 3, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #45,808 of 48,562
Hmm... looking at that G6 deal on the official store...
Is it a good deal to go for it and use it for PC (replacing an ASUS Xonar Xense sound card) and my future PS5 or does anyone have info, whether Creative will get some new DACs out there soonish? (looking at the usual CES spot in January).

In short, buy a G6 now or should I wait for other products?

Another question:
Could a G6 drive my Beyerdynamics Amiron Home?

Your expertise is much appreciated!

Dec 3, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #45,809 of 48,562
G6 is one of the most versatile devices out there for both consoles and PC and has ample digtal and anolog inputs and outputs.
IMO it has rather decent headphone output but I prefer to send its optical out to a portable or desctop dac/amp.

In short, the G6 is a safe bet and well worth the money even at full price or more. Grab the deal.

Dec 3, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #45,810 of 48,562
Long USB cable to the G6 or long optical cable from G6 to a portable amp?

I just understood that the G6 has an optical output. So would this setup work for both SBX Dolby Digital (from my 4K player/Apple TV) and the Tempest from the PS5? (Basically adding my old Harman Kardon receiver so I can remote control. I would turn OFF Dolby Headphone processing on it)

For Dolby Digital:
4K Player/Apple TV / PS5 (for older games)------> Sony X950G TV (hdmi) -----> G6 (optical in. using SBX processing) ---> Harman Kardon Receiver (from optical out)

For Tempest
PS5----> Sony X950G TV (hdmi)---> G6 ( USB. SBX Processing turned off) ----> Harman Kardon Receiver (from optical out)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back