Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 30, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #45,781 of 48,560
Sharing a deal for gamers (thanks @Mad Lust Envy for permission)

Add a $120 Sennheiser PC37X to this $90 Drop ENTR mechanical keyboard, for a combo price of just $150: https://drop.com/buy/drop-entr-mechanical-keyboard

I recently reviewed the ENTR, typing on a mechanical keyboard is an energetic, springy experience, with a lighter touch required than membrane keyboards you might be used to (like a laptop keyboard). For typing and all-around use, I’d recommend the Halo True switches (they feel like refined Cherry MX Brown), but for primarily gaming, the linear Gateron Yellow switches (similar to MX Cherry Reds, but more springy) would feel more responsive. I liked customizing them with colored keycaps!

04B58D39-6EF2-4DB6-90E0-8417D401031F.jpeg

In depth ENTR review if curious: https://drop.com/talk/62256/keys-to-success

The PC37X was the last headphone I independently reviewed before I started consulting for headphone companies (including Sennheiser). Mad reviewed the open backed Game One, which is the same headset as the PC37X except with a different body color. If you’re curious about my thoughts: https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-pc37x-gaming-headset/talk/1571778
10C1B663-F39C-4AF6-9D56-BEEB7F85C96D.jpeg

These are Drop exclusive products.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 30, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #45,782 of 48,560
Great deal!

I have the Drop CTRL which is basically the same as the ENTR with some more features, which I don’t use anyway.
Mine is the high profile version which means the bottom of the keycaps are in the frame, not keycaps floating above the top plate like the ENTR. (Think Logitech Pro vs. Logitech 915 TKL.)

If you need shine through legends on your keycaps, the ones that come with the ENTR will do fine but if you want some really nice ones (not shone through), check Drop SA Oblotzky, a totally different quality, feel and sound.

Best switches I have ever found after testing about 80 different kinds are the Zeal Tealios (linear) or Zeal Zealios if you prefer tactile, very smooth with good resistance.
Any of the Halos pale in comparison. They’re expensive though, about 1$ per switch.

The switches on the CTRL are hot-swappable, not sure if that’s the case pn the ENTR though. If not I’d pick the Gateron Yellows, they’re decent.

Nov 30, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #45,783 of 48,560
So I bought meze 99 neo (1 year ago I had meze 99 classics then sell it) , so what I can say about ps5 controller:
- amp better from DualShock 4, in term of sound quantity meze 99 sound really well with maximum volume of gamepad
- but quality... sound loud but tiny/flat, not powerfull, not dynamic.
- all in all ps5 controller can amp headphones like 99 meze but it’s not best sound quality.

for test listening I connect meze 99 to my TV(LG B9) to jack 3,5 and run few Netflix TVs and what I can say, it’s Much more dynamic and energy in TV audio out than in ps5 controller. Action scenes is really good and impactful. So all in all - I need Creative G6 for ps5 games (to take tempest 3D) or Audeze Penrose. Audeze will be more expensive, and maybe not better in soun quality than meze 99+G6

p.s. why again meze? Because in its price range I don’t find anything better than meze 99 in closed cans. Yeah I know it’s so much good open back cans, but in price range 200-300 (new/used) it’s not so much good choices. (Meze 99 neo I bought for 120$)

Nov 30, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #45,784 of 48,560
So I got the Sennheiser game one and really liked them a lot, but trying a open-back for the first time, I realised there is a lot of ambient noise (Computer fans) and decided to return them and try to go for the Game zero for the closed back.

Is there any noticeable difference between them apart from the noise isolation?

I have read that the game zero have less bass (in other places the opposite) but apart from that (and losing the wide soundstage of open back) they seem very similar. However I have read tons of good reviews about game one, but almost none of the game zero.

Have anyone tried the Game zero version? Thanks

Dec 1, 2020 at 2:15 AM Post #45,785 of 48,560
I have both a Game One and Game Zero. The Zero offers a sealed, noise isolating listening environment, but the Game One just sounds better. More natural, more spacious, better detailed, etc etc.

The HD 6XX (I have the HD 650) is higher resolving, but the more direct/non-angled drivers present a smaller soundstage. Sennheiser went more for “natural” sound than enhanced bass, but the mids and bass have a nice weight and body to them even if they are crisper than the Game Zero and don’t have as much sub-bass presence.

The Game One/PC37X has more bass and a larger soundstage than the HD 6xx, but in trade the HD 6XX is yet another upgrade in clarity over the PC37X. I think the HD 6XX is also easer to listen to long-term, because of the intentional treble (quite high pitch) presence reduction, though honestly I can play PUBG for hours with either one.

Thanks for that response. I have the Game Zero still (though uh...one ear cup alone works so maybe I can't judge it really from what I'm hearing) so I can kind of imagine things here. I do enjoy my upper-bass/mid thoroughly, so I might have to make a call. I realize now I have a pretty noisy environment sometimes so may consider closed-back more than I was originally...then again I may still have to look at non-Sennheiser (like the stated HiFi and Penrose) but I won't bother you as a Sennheiser sponsor haha.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #45,786 of 48,560
So I got the Sennheiser game one and really liked them a lot, but trying a open-back for the first time, I realised there is a lot of ambient noise (Computer fans) and decided to return them and try to go for the Game zero for the closed back.

Is there any noticeable difference between them apart from the noise isolation?

I have read that the game zero have less bass (in other places the opposite) but apart from that (and losing the wide soundstage of open back) they seem very similar. However I have read tons of good reviews about game one, but almost none of the game zero.

Have anyone tried the Game zero version? Thanks
I’ll give another listen when I get back home today. Have Game Zero and PC37X, PC38X

Dec 1, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #45,788 of 48,560
I'm looking to upgrade my 598s to 800S, is there any reason you would choose your 598s over your 800s other than being easier to drive

the price

I can now use my Topping E30/L30 with the PS5 through USB and get 3D audio, only cost me $20:

[PS5] ---- USB ---- [THIS] ---- optical ---- [E30] ---- RCA ---- [L30] ---- 1/4" cable ---- Headphones

did this work or is it just speculation it will work?

Dec 1, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #45,789 of 48,560
I'm looking to upgrade my 598s to 800S, is there any reason you would choose your 598s over your 800s other than being easier to drive

For me... no. Not really except nostalgic reasons.

Sometimes I would choose 660S over 800S for music. Sometimes I would choose 660S over 598 for gaming. I don't usually choose 598 over my 800S for gaming or music.

I bought my 598's about 8-9 years ago and now my 7 year old son is playing with them. A great pair of headphones especially for gaming. I have no intention ever selling them.

Dec 1, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #45,790 of 48,560
Hmm, well if the Game One (let's equate it to the PC38X) was similar to Game Zero in terms of sound quality (not taking into account the open vs closed back) then I have to say I still felt as though I thoroughly enjoyed the HyperX Cloud (so equating to the Mobius) more. Maybe it's just because I'm looking for it primarily for music... I guess I was curious to see how the 6XX and HE-5XX performed in comparison, but I do worry if the 6XX lacks a fun bass.
You can't equate the 38X to the Game One. The Game One is literally the PC37X in a different color. PC38X > PC37X

The PC37X is a solid gaming headset (absolutely), but next to the PC38X, I'd not look back to it. The PC38X is a headset I'd use even for music. The PC37X is not. It's something I'd strictly use for competitive gaming,.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #45,792 of 48,560
In case you guys are wondering about my Penrose review. I have much written (like 95%), but I'm waiting on the next firmware before I solidify my review, as various things are being addressed, and I don't want my review impressions to be outdated. Mic clarity in particular is something I was pretty vivid about on the review, and so I wanna make sure the supposed clarity improvements make a meaningful difference.

I didn't address the whoosh issue because it's definitely being fixed, and I personally didn't hear it with 99% of my time with the Penrose.

Dec 1, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #45,794 of 48,560
In case you guys are wondering about my Penrose review. I have much written (like 95%), but I'm waiting on the next firmware before I solidify my review, as various things are being addressed, and I don't want my review impressions to be outdated. Mic clarity in particular is something I was pretty vivid about on the review, and so I wanna make sure the supposed clarity improvements make a meaningful difference.

I didn't address the whoosh issue because it's definitely being fixed, and I personally didn't hear it with 99% of my time with the Penrose.
I’ve been looking forward to your Penrose review.

Do you know approximately when they’re planning to release the firmware update?

Dec 1, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #45,795 of 48,560
I have news guys.... I did get a beta version of the new upcoming Penrose firmware, which fixes the whoosh completely, lowers noise floor even more, lowers female voice considerably, as well as fixes a lot of the wireless mic quality, as stated below.

I DO think the wireless quality has improved. It's still a far cry from the wired connection, but raising the volume and comparing it, I can't say I'm no longer totally against the idea of using the Penrose wirelessly. It's still not something I'd consider if mic quality is of upmost importance, but it is an improvement.

Old/Initial release:

and now...

Updated:

Tell me what you guys think. Some of that veil has lifted which is absolutely a good thing.

edit: added the Mobius mic for comparison sake.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back