Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 7, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #46,696 of 48,561
@Mad Lust Envy Thanks for the review. I especially liked the microphone comparison.

You mentioned that it comes with a headset audio/mic splitter. I didn't see one in the description on the Schiit website so I ordered one separately. We'll see if I get two of them.

Regarding build, would you say that this thing is heavy enough and has rubber feet with enough friction that I won't have to worry about it sliding around when adjusting volume?

Apr 7, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #46,697 of 48,561
Been listening to a new set of M1070, and just wanted to blurb in on the gaming aspects. These headphones are definitely energetic, and fun; quite immersive. And I thought the DT-1990 were energetic, in comparison they're a bit laid back to the M1070. You have a good soundstage size, a little wider than DT-1990, but not so much as say the Sony MDR-SA5000. Imaging is a little different compared to dynamic drivers, but no details get lost in the sound, so it layers very well. It's not gentle in the treble, but not sibilant, so footstep stalkers will be happy.

Just note the headphone is very engaging, and mids are very intimate and can be up front, meaning you can get startled sometimes. Waves NX had no issue with these, and panning from left to right was distinct. Tho with 5.1 music, I preferred Redscape. Weight wise, they're 580g but I really don't notice it, and I've worn them for about 7 hours now. Had to adjust the clamp force to my liking, as by default they're a little too polite.

And with the current pricing of $239 at their Ebay store and walmart.com, this is a no brainer. I see many posts here and on r/HeadphoneAdvice looking for great gaming cans for $200.

And the music aspects also are very good too.

Apr 7, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #46,698 of 48,561
@Mad Lust Envy Thanks for the review. I especially liked the microphone comparison.

You mentioned that it comes with a headset audio/mic splitter. I didn't see one in the description on the Schiit website so I ordered one separately. We'll see if I get two of them.

Regarding build, would you say that this thing is heavy enough and has rubber feet with enough friction that I won't have to worry about it sliding around when adjusting volume?

You'll def be fine since the top mounted knob means you need very little to adjust volume. I'll have to ask Jason about the headset splitter. This one came with one...

Apr 8, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #46,699 of 48,561
Was notified that my Hel 2 shipped today. Obviously well before May 20th. The last POS I ordered took six days to crawl to MI, so hopefully I should be able to plug it in next week.
Well shiit, same here LMAO....

And I just received my G6 today (I canceled my Hel 2 2 days ago and ordered the G6 (b-stock), but they clearly haven't seen my cancelation email...) Now I am kind of on the fence what to do lol. I kind of started planning to get the G6 and buy a Jottenheim/Magnius Modius later when the Hel 2 got pushed back 6 weeks.... But on the other hand, the Hel looks way better (although I am pleasantly suprised by the G6, especially for only 80 euros).

Do you notice some sound differences between the Hel 2 and G6 @Mad Lust Envy? I think I want to keep the Hel, and postpone my other amp plans. I think I will be able to sell both on the 2nd hand market either way (or just return the G6).

Maybe I should have been a little bit more patient.... but you guys know how it goes when researching new goodies :)

p.s. have you noticed any of this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Schiit/comments/mmcszj/hel_2_intermittent_popping_sound/ Got me kind of worried...

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #46,700 of 48,561
Well shiit, same here LMAO....

And I just received my G6 today (I canceled my Hel 2 2 days ago and ordered the G6 (b-stock), but they clearly haven't seen my cancelation email...) Now I am kind of on the fence what to do lol. I kind of started planning to get the G6 and buy a Jottenheim/Magnius Modius later when the Hel 2 got pushed back 6 weeks.... But on the other hand, the Hel looks way better (although I am pleasantly suprised by the G6, especially for only 80 euros).

Do you notice some sound differences between the Hel 2 and G6 @Mad Lust Envy? I think I want to keep the Hel, and postpone my other amp plans. I think I will be able to sell both on the 2nd hand market either way (or just return the G6).

Maybe I should have been a little bit more patient.... but you guys know how it goes when researching new goodies :)

p.s. have you noticed any of this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Schiit/comments/mmcszj/hel_2_intermittent_popping_sound/ Got me kind of worried...
I didn't comparisons, since I haven't used the G6 as an amp in a long time. IIRC, the G6 is a little on the sharper, more dry side if only slightly.

Both are great, though obviously, the Hel 2 puts out much, MUCH more power.

They're very different though. The G6 is throw everything and the kitchen sink in terms of features, while the Hel 2 is as simple as they come. I find value in both, though I like it more on the simple side.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #46,701 of 48,561
Yeah I am honestly surprised by the sound quality of the G6, but I agree with the dry yet somewhat sharp signature. Since I am not going to use a multi-channel input or any of the other features of the G6, I think am going to go with the Schiit.

Apr 8, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #46,702 of 48,561
When I compare my G6 to my SMSL M300 MKII (AK4497) the biggest difference that hits me is that the G6 sounds very grainy. The SMSL is very smooth in comparison, and has a lot more impulse filters to fine tune your setup with.

Apr 8, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #46,703 of 48,561
I'm gonna spoil something upcoming... because I'm that astounded:

Honestly, even at $700, the Elex might be the greatest headphone I'd ever heard. Easily. Like what? 8XX? Nah son. Elex. They're just special. It's like if they took the 6XX, dialed it up to 11, made it a little more neutral, and more lively and detailed up top, and deeper sounding down low.

Like... if this is Focal.... I am a FAN.

Of course, I haven't heard the other offerings, but at $700, or even less used... the Elex is the one. I can't think of a better open backed headphone in terms of overall sound.

One thing I did notice is how much the sound changes depending on how much the pads press down. So I, without any knowledge of homework believe people will find them to sound different on a head to head basis, all reliant on how much the pads have compressed. If I slightly press down, they change completely. Still... I'm fanboying right now.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #46,704 of 48,561
I'm gonna spoil something upcoming... because I'm that astounded:

Honestly, even at $700, the Elex might be the greatest headphone I'd ever heard. Easily. Like what? 8XX? Nah son. Elex. They're just special. It's like if they took the 6XX, dialed it up to 11, made it a little more neutral, and more lively and detailed up top, and deeper sounding down low.

Like... if this is Focal.... I am a FAN.

Of course, I haven't heard the other offerings, but at $700, or even less used... the Elex is the one. I can't think of a better open backed headphone in terms of overall sound.

One thing I did notice is how much the sound changes depending on how much the pads press down. So I, without any knowledge of homework believe people will find them to sound different on a head to head basis, all reliant on how much the pads have compressed. If I slightly press down, they change completely. Still... I'm fanboying right now.
Wait until you need Customer Support from Focal. They delegate it to their retailers, and I have read about some very draconian RMA refusals, where the retailer just flat out says no because they claim that the user broke them. (In one example, it was a left driver failure)

Did I also mention the $200 price tag on pad replacements? Now I know Drop sells pads for the Elex for $60, when they are available. But order them from Focal, and BAM!

MLE: The M1070 are $239 at the moment and I think they'll compete well with those Elex. (Ebay store or walmart.com) You should give those a gander.

Apr 8, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #46,705 of 48,561
Highly doubt the M1070 sounds like this. I do appreciate the M1070 sharing a nigh identical headband structure though, lol.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #46,706 of 48,561
All I want out of my gaming headphone is TOTL imaging, detail retrieval and a large soundstage. Hence the HD800S remains king of my personal hill, and the only thing I ever really think of replacing it with is some STAX. But I have been curious about the Elex for a long long time based on other things I have read so I am looking forward to your review, especially now that you've tried the HD8XX.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #46,707 of 48,561
SXFi works on top of decoded Dolby coming in via optical but it does not send it out via optical. It doesn't send it out at all actually. As far as line out capabilities the G6 and GC7 are exactly the same. GC7 only edges it out with ease of use due to on board buttons and bluetooth control with your phone.
So the GC7 does Decode 5.1 Dolby signal coming in from PS4 / PS5 and other consoles?

All I want out of my gaming headphone is TOTL imaging, detail retrieval and a large soundstage. Hence the HD800S remains king of my personal hill, and the only thing I ever really think of replacing it with is some STAX. But I have been curious about the Elex for a long long time based on other things I have read so I am looking forward to your review, especially now that you've tried the HD8XX.
Did you ever try the Hifiman Arya? It has TOTL imaging.

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #46,708 of 48,561
So the GC7 does Decode 5.1 Dolby signal coming in from PS4 / PS5 and other consoles?
Yep. But has to be via SPDIF in.

I don't know why but from my Xbox S SPDIF there was a weird electrical buzzing (but Dolby light was on and SXFI remained on) and I thought I had a faulty unit, but using my TV's SPDIF worked flawlessly. I.e. setting console to bitstream to TV and having TV passthrough Dolby. Might have just been something weird with my console or unit, not sure.
Did you ever try the Hifiman Arya? It has TOTL imaging.
Did not. Curious about those too. What is the Arya an update of? I have the HiFiman 400i, 560, and the Massdrop Edition XX. I love them all but HD800S still edges them out one way or another.

Apr 8, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #46,709 of 48,561
Arya is a side-grade at best for these qualities.

HE-1000SE is the better option. Has better extension down low, especially in the subbass region and places objects a good deal sharper. Stage is less wide but deeper and quite a bit less diffuse.

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #46,710 of 48,561
Arya is a side-grade at best for these qualities.

HE-1000SE is the better option. Has better extension down low, especially in the subbass region and places objects a good deal sharper. Stage is less wide but deeper and quite a bit less diffuse.
Yes I was eyeing those in a for sale thread actually yesterday, lol. Damn this hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back