Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 8, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #22,726 of 48,561
just got a new fiio e12 mount blanc for 80 bucks
smily_headphones1.gif
....will try that with my mixamp and mmx-300's. Hopefully it rocks, will report back when it arrives. i have been in the market for a e18, but for 80 bucks, I figured why not?

Apr 8, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #22,727 of 48,561
  just got a new fiio e12 mount blanc for 80 bucks
smily_headphones1.gif
....will try that with my mixamp and mmx-300's. Hopefully it rocks, will report back when it arrives. i have been in the market for a e18, but for 80 bucks, I figured why not?

That's an awesome deal man, I paid $130 for mine a couple months ago.

Apr 8, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #22,729 of 48,561
im pumped! cant wait to try it out! should the difference be night and day? or just subtle differences in sound?

Somewhere in between. The dynamics should be improved :wink:

Apr 8, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #22,731 of 48,561
Hi,
Does anyone tried the Creative Aurvana Live! 2 for gaming? Are they any better then the first CAL (from a gaming point of view, i'm not going to use them for music\movies)?
I'm a console gamer and i'm looking for a good gaming headphone\set for around ~ 100$
Thanks! 

Apr 8, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #22,732 of 48,561

Eh?

Recon3D uses THX Surround, Omni uses SBX Surround.
SBX and THX sounds different, even though SBX is pretty much a more refined version of THX — but they are different.

Doh! Got mixed up as when researching I was looking at a lot of different things. Doesn't help that they're both three letters with X at the end.

Apr 8, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #22,733 of 48,561
Hi,
Does anyone tried the Creative Aurvana Live! 2 for gaming? Are they any better then the first CAL (from a gaming point of view, i'm not going to use them for music\movies)?
I'm a console gamer and i'm looking for a good gaming headphone\set for around ~ 100$
Thanks! 

They're more bassy and are considered inferior. The CAL was already on the bassy side, so I doubt it's be better for gaming. Considering you aren't going to use them for music or movies, I'd definitely look for something less bassy.

Apr 8, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #22,734 of 48,561
They're more bassy and are considered inferior. The CAL was already on the bassy side, so I doubt it's be better for gaming. Considering you aren't going to use them for music or movies, I'd definitely look for something less bassy.

Thanks! :)
After reading the post I think i'll buy the first CAL if that's the case.
I've also considered to buy Turtle Beach PX22 or Afterglow Wireless headsets (both of them got great reviews) but since I don't play online games I'm not sure if they have better sound than CAL.

Apr 8, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #22,735 of 48,561
  Thanks! :)
After reading the post I think i'll buy the first CAL if that's the case.
I've also considered to buy Turtle Beach PX22 or Afterglow Wireless headsets (both of them got great reviews) but since I don't play online games I'm not sure if they have better sound than CAL.

I own both and to be honest unless you live in Canada and have access to a replaceable cord and ear pads, just buy the OG CAL.

I think I dislike the CAL2 ear pads even more then I dislike the OG CALs. Luckily I have a pair of HM5 pads around, now I just have to replace the cable. I hate mic cables they are horrid. Plus side of the CAL2 you could just plug it straight into the PS4 controller and have a headset right away. But that is the only plus. If you see that as a plus most on here won't because we have DH devices.

I think the CAL2 does have a slightly better, is subjective, mid bass slam. Everything else is just so close it is hard to decide what is better honestly. One moment I think the CAL is better the next the CAL2 I can't honestly can't nail down the differences. 

With the extra mid bass they are not for you MLE. Instant headaches for sure. 

Apr 8, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #22,736 of 48,561
I'm not finding much mention of them by searching but their name is kind of awkward to search.

Has anyone else here owned the Thermaltake E-Sports Shock Spin head set?

I feel like they might be a hidden gem, I don't see much talk about them, but I bought some Koss KSC75s after hearing rave reviews about their sound quality at their price bracket and frankly they just aren't as good at the TTEs. 

I ask because I'm looking to shop around for something a bit less bulky but I don't want to downgrade in sound quality. I really like the feel of the PX22 or X12 but turtlebeach I tried on at bestbuy but don't know about the sound.

Apr 8, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #22,737 of 48,561
Tyll measured them and they seem remarkably similar to the OG CAL. Makes me believe its the same driver, but the sonic difference being due to the new housing and pads. Everyone knows that those things can make or break a headphone. In this case, the biggest change seems to be the bass.

Apr 8, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #22,739 of 48,561
  The XBA-H3 is now only $254 at Amazon! Ya'll better jump on these!

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-XBAH3-Hybrid-Driver-Headphones/dp/B00FJISZ28

The only IEMs I've actually liked for gaming...

Curse you evil siren of the deal, I will not submit! Seriously though, I'd like to hear these at some point down the road but I have a suspicion that they won't be able to match my quad driver customs so there's really not much point for me. I like the idea of a hybrid design, getting the benefits of both BA and dynamic, but I just love the detail and clarity that my full BA delivers.

Apr 8, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #22,740 of 48,561
Hey everyone! I've been stalking this thread for the last week and decided to jump on in the fun.

I currently have the Astro a40 headset (3-4 years old) + mixamp (1 year old) and I've been looking for a pair of cans to replace them. I've had my eye on a pair of Sennheiser HD 598 but I always come back to this thread and its like I'm starting over the thought process. 

I am looking for a pair of cans that would be a solid upgrade to the a40s. Mainly used for gaming and music. When it comes to music I mainly listen to metal, grind, death metal etc. Also a big fan of electronic music and some hip hop. I plan to use the mixamp in conjuction and sooner or later will end up getting a xonar essence card for my pc. I also have the mic under control. 

I need help picking out a good fit for me. I have a slightly large head if that helps with any recommendations too. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back