Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 4, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #22,636 of 48,561
  Hi folks, I got my hands on Audio Technica's ATH-ADG1 and I'm thoroughly impressed with both its comfort and audio.
I'm a UK PS4 gamer and pretty much play COD exclusively. At present, I'm using Turtle Beach's ACU but having previously used an older version of Astro's mix amp on PS3, I have a 2013 mix amp on order for comparison.
I've read on page one about external amps and wondering if any kind soul could give me a recommenddation for this set up.

He has a few amp recommendations in the guide.  Any of those should work great.

Apr 4, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #22,638 of 48,561

Personally, I'd suggest the Q701.  The soundstage, highs and mids will be great for classical.  The bass is there but it's very refined and out of the way.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to sell you my PLYR1, but I don't know that it's the best bang for the buck unless you really want wireless.  Also, I never once used it to listen to music, just for gaming, so I can't speak to the musicality of it.

What do (or don't) you like about the PLYR1? I wouldn't use the PLYR1 for listening to music outside games, just in game audio. Do you have an alternative suggestion for wireless headset? I feel everyone bashes them for inferior audio, but the convenience of wireless while console gaming is pretty significant...

Perhaps I would use a wireless headset exclusively for horror games (and other games with minimal music but lots of SFX and suspense etc) and use a HD668b for games whose audio is mostly characterized by excellent music (eg Shadow of the Colossus, always love going back to that :p)

Apr 4, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #22,639 of 48,561

What do (or don't) you like about the PLYR1? I wouldn't use the PLYR1 for listening to music outside games, just in game audio. Do you have an alternative suggestion for wireless headset? I feel everyone bashes them for inferior audio, but the convenience of wireless while console gaming is pretty significant...

Perhaps I would use a wireless headset exclusively for horror games (and other games with minimal music but lots of SFX and suspense etc) and use a HD668b for games whose audio is mostly characterized by excellent music (eg Shadow of the Colossus, always love going back to that :p)

Mostly what I don't like about them is that they're closed headphones, with everythig that entails (they're a little hot and the soundstage is really compressed).  That said, they've still got great positional accuracy and pretty decent sound overall.  They're also super convenient to use and they've got the "full package" (wireless, surround, mic, stand) for a really great price.  They're a great bang for the buck.

Also, I compared them to the Q701, which will put a lot of headphones to shame when it comes to gaming.  If I'd never heard the Q701, I'd probably have kept the PLYR1.  (The convenience factor of the PLYR1 can't be overstated!)  I really don't dislike the PLYR1; I just decided that it was worth spending more money and dealing with the inconvenience of wires and mixamp etc to have the Q701 for gaming.

Apr 4, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #22,640 of 48,561
And the party begins...

I slept in, and still have to run to the post office. Will be back with comparisons, later...

Apr 4, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #22,641 of 48,561

Mostly true EXCEPT one very important thing: the HD668B is significantly brighter than the Q701.

I know, because I've owned the HD668b before.
So take note all those wary to treble fatigue, because the 668b WILL pierce your ears to kingdom come.

I'm thinking of getting one, or perhaps a SR850.
Questions: 1. what exactly do you mean by bright? Do you just mean weighted towards treble, or do you mean it makes violins sound like screeching cats?
2. these headphones are only 56 ohm, can a console drive these or will I need an amp?

Apr 4, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #22,642 of 48,561
  And the party begins...

I slept in, and still have to run to the post office. Will be back with comparisons, later...

Better not miss the post office today! 
mad.gif
  lol

Apr 4, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #22,644 of 48,561
This thread is incredible. I've been lurking it for awhile and have really appreciated the feedback folks offer on different setups. I'm currently running 2011 MixAmp, K701's and a modmic. I'm happy with the setup and don't want to change . . . but we're expecting baby #2 in June and she's going to take over my mancave.

Bottom line, I have to move to something completely wireless and will need great isolation, which probably means going closed. My wife refuses to have cords running across the room or, even if packed up well, around for #1 (2 yrs. old) to find and play with. I may be able to get away with a 5.8, but that's still a lot of wires and would be pushing my luck. And the kids sleep with doors open and Dohm noisemakers on. I'm not too concerned about leakage, but I need good isolation even if it means losing some depth.

I'm doing almost all of my gaming on PS3 and PS4 at the moment, so I picked up Pulse Elites and the new Gold set from Best Buy to tide me over. The Pulse Elites are incredibly uncomfortable and have already gone back. They're heavy and the headband is awful. They feel like they're going to pull hair out by the end of a long play session. I didn't keep them around long enough to give the sound a fair shake, since they clearly weren't going to work for me.

The Gold's have a heinous, cheap feel but are very, very comfortable to wear. The headband is cushy. They cheap plastic construction helps in that regard, since they're not asking the headband to carry a lot of weight. The pleather cups are . . . meh. The surround is much worse than I'm used to. It's like being able to hear the four cardinal directions instead of 360 degree. Better than stereo for positioning and better than I expected overall, but that's a pretty low bar. My BF4 and Ghosts game has suffered.

The PLYR is a no-go. I tried a friend's SLYR's awhile back and they were too small, didn't fit over my ears well. PLYR will, I figure, have the same problem.

Given my constraints, what's the best that I can do to get reasonable sound quality? I'm going to take a huge sound quality hit. No way to avoid it. Gaming forums drool over the Astro's, but MLE's review has me reluctant to pull the trigger. Cost isn't really an issue. I'll be able to cover pretty much all of a new setup by selling my current kit off. That said, I don't want to pay full freight for something "high end" (sigh) like A50's or Steel Series H if they're not actually and noticeably better than the Golds.

Apr 4, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #22,645 of 48,561
  This thread is incredible. I've been lurking it for awhile and have really appreciated the feedback folks offer on different setups. I'm currently running 2011 MixAmp, K701's and a modmic. I'm happy with the setup and don't want to change . . . but we're expecting baby #2 in June and she's going to take over my mancave.

Bottom line, I have to move to something completely wireless and will need great isolation, which probably means going closed. My wife refuses to have cords running across the room or, even if packed up well, around for #1 (2 yrs. old) to find and play with. I may be able to get away with a 5.8, but that's still a lot of wires and would be pushing my luck. And the kids sleep with doors open and Dohm noisemakers on. I'm not too concerned about leakage, but I need good isolation even if it means losing some depth.

I'm doing almost all of my gaming on PS3 and PS4 at the moment, so I picked up Pulse Elites and the new Gold set from Best Buy to tide me over. The Pulse Elites are incredibly uncomfortable and have already gone back. They're heavy and the headband is awful. They feel like they're going to pull hair out by the end of a long play session. I didn't keep them around long enough to give the sound a fair shake, since they clearly weren't going to work for me.

The Gold's have a heinous, cheap feel but are very, very comfortable to wear. The headband is cushy. They cheap plastic construction helps in that regard, since they're not asking the headband to carry a lot of weight. The pleather cups are . . . meh. The surround is much worse than I'm used to. It's like being able to hear the four cardinal directions instead of 360 degree. Better than stereo for positioning and better than I expected overall, but that's a pretty low bar. My BF4 and Ghosts game has suffered.

The PLYR is a no-go. I tried a friend's SLYR's awhile back and they were too small, didn't fit over my ears well. PLYR will, I figure, have the same problem.

Given my constraints, what's the best that I can do to get reasonable sound quality? I'm going to take a huge sound quality hit. No way to avoid it. Gaming forums drool over the Astro's, but MLE's review has me reluctant to pull the trigger. Cost isn't really an issue. I'll be able to cover pretty much all of a new setup by selling my current kit off. That said, I don't want to pay full freight for something "high end" (sigh) like A50's or Steel Series H if they're not actually and noticeably better than the Golds.

First off congratulations!!!!
Do you live in the US? You could just buy the A50 and Steelseries H (don't believe anyone owns this headset yet.) off of amazon for the free shipping and decide which one you don't like. Just a thought. I personally wouldn't buy the Astro's after my recent visit to their forums where they basically told a group of us 2011 amp owners to either upgrade or just deal with it when our chat didn't work with the PS4, thank god Turtle Beach had the same issue and stepped up.

Again good luck man on your second child and enjoy your stay around here. 

Apr 4, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #22,646 of 48,561
All attempts have failed on my end, I don't have any TRRS plugs on hand so I might have to order a TB cable for it to test chat. So far the PS3/PS4 chat cable does not work at all. When I plug it into the mix-amp, it auto mutes everyone and no one can hear me and I can't hear them. I still have audio from the PS4 itself but chat is muted. Same goes for the PS3. 

I have the PS4 set-up to optical out > Dolby Digital 5.1 > output to headphones - chat > mute camera mic. I get no chat audio at all. It's a shame the PS3/PS4 chat cable is defective though...

I haven't gotten to test that cable yet, but IDK if it's defective. I asked an Astro rep if it would be compatible with a PS4, he said yes but he could've been trying to get me to stop asking things (my A30 was DOA, and when I sent it in for repairs my registration and account with Astro disappeared, so a question about the chat cable was just icing on a ****cake). You're plugging the USB into the PS4, and analogue end into the Tx base station, right? I'm not sure what the "right" answer is, but I can look up the instructions if you like.

I'm thinking of getting one, or perhaps a SR850.

Questions: 1. what exactly do you mean by bright? Do you just mean weighted towards treble, or do you mean it makes violins sound like screeching cats?
2. these headphones are only 56 ohm, can a console drive these or will I need an amp?

Consoles don't have amps built-in, just digital and line-out audio. You'd need something like a Mixamp or DSS to have volume control and a suitable headphone jack, though they also process the headphone surround that does a LOT for immersion (which you heard in the Bioshock vid).

By bright he means treble-weighted and violins might sound fatiguing. Screechiness can come from two things: unrefined headphone that has poor control of treble reproduction (I've heard even dark headphones with this problem), or the amp doesn't have a good "grip" on supplying enough current to meet the demand of the headphone driver.

You asked earlier if amps matter to sonic quality, or if they're just for "enough volume." Some headphones require more voltage to be loud enough, but all drivers benefit from having enough current to articulate complex passages or powerful bass sections. Some headphones scale more than others, and IMO should be the first consideration, but an appropriate amp is part of a complete system.

A Q701 (62 ohm headphone) actually sounds loud enough right off of a Turtle Beach DSS ($30 like new on eBay). And decently wonderful too. But the bass will never quite sound "big" and the treble may distort, causing a sharpness that can get fatiguing after a half hour (ymmv, but I used to play violin too, like... 15 years ago, but I loved it). Add a good neutral-but-capable amp you'll still hear the character of the headphone, but notes flow from the drivers easily. You've heard it on string instruments; if a performer has a firm movement of the now it sounds great, but a novice playing weakly with little control will screech a stradivarius like a dying cat.

IMO, you ought to start out with a Koss KCS75 or Superlux (haven't heard Superlux myself, skipped to an AD700), a DSS (first version), and a portable amp like a FiiO E11.

Tbc, lunch break is over

Apr 4, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #22,647 of 48,561

Seller notes: Buyer was harsh, aggressive, and insinuated that I was the son of a hamster. Will not sell to again.

Joke's on him, he already left feedback!  Man, I hate the smell of elderberries...
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 4, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #22,648 of 48,561

They market them very well at MLG and other places, so those gamers don't know any better unless they take the time to look around. They only way you're going to know for sure is if you try them. I don't think they're worth anywhere near $300, but I'm also not in your situation. You best bet is to order them from somewhere like Amazon that has a generous return policy IMO. 

Apr 4, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #22,650 of 48,561

They market them very well at MLG and other places, so those gamers don't know any better unless they take the time to look around. They only way you're going to know for sure is if you try them. I don't think they're worth anywhere near $300, but I'm also not in your situation. You best bet is to order them from somewhere like Amazon that has a generous return policy IMO.

Last I checked (in Feb) they had refurbed A50's for $200 on Amazon.  For $200, you're coming down into the realm of real-world pricing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back