Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 3, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #22,621 of 48,560
You could always go for a DT880, mmencius. The DT880 pro goes for $195, and is one of the best balanced headphones out, especially if you're not TOO concerned with ultimate positional accuracy.

I haven't heard them yet, but the K612 Pro seems to be a new popular choice. My friends say it's a good all rounder, not reliant on bass, and I believe these friends.

Of course, I love the MA900, but the prices have skyrocketed, and I can't recommend spending so much for them.

The newer K702 + some K712 pads would probably be an amazing choice. More or less the K702 Anniversary for cheaper. The K702 Anniversary is probably my favorite all rounder, and so the K702 + K712 pads would be the one I'd recommend.

Apr 4, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #22,622 of 48,560
[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NyR9pWemU0[/VIDEO]

i put up some quick impressions under the video on Youtube, making some corrections about what i said in the vid (made a few mistakes). :frowning2:

Apr 4, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #22,623 of 48,560
Thanks for your suggestions, but those are all around or over $200 + amp necessary since they're all 100+ ohm impedance.

I was looking to spend a little less, preferably under $200 total, so perhaps Samson or Superlux + amp, or Sennheiser 558/598 no amp, or the PLYR 1, or the Gold.

Any suggestions a bit cheaper? And do I need an amp for console gaming with headphones under 60 ohms? Information I've seen suggests no for PC due to capabilities of modern motherboards, but this might not be the case for consoles.

Another thing: in addition to should I get an amp or not, do the differences make much difference? If they're just powering the headphones, do they affect the sound quality? I was under the impression that they make far less difference than the headphones themselves, but now I'm seeing amp reviews on this site...

Apr 4, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #22,624 of 48,560
The guys in the Q701 thread say the Superlux has a similar sound signature for a lot cheaper.  I haven't heard them, but if it's true, they might do the trick.

Alternately, I know a guy selling a like new PLYR1 for $50 cheaper than Amazon.  *cough*

Apr 4, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #22,625 of 48,560
People say the gold is very comfy but it lacks the bass for some and other say it's great. ..tough to know but it's wireless on consoles and on pc! But can also be wired. I want something nice playing warmish bassy but clear headphone too. And the gold is also interesting to me and right price so we are in the same boat.
Actually i think You would love how cal! Sounds but the comfort leaves something to be desired and that's why i want to change it to something else.
cheers!

Apr 4, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #22,626 of 48,560
  Thanks for your suggestions, but those are all around or over $200 + amp necessary since they're all 100+ ohm impedance.

I was looking to spend a little less, preferably under $200 total, so perhaps Samson or Superlux + amp, or Sennheiser 558/598 no amp, or the PLYR 1, or the Gold.

Any suggestions a bit cheaper? And do I need an amp for console gaming with headphones under 60 ohms? Information I've seen suggests no for PC due to capabilities of modern motherboards, but this might not be the case for consoles.

Another thing: in addition to should I get an amp or not, do the differences make much difference? If they're just powering the headphones, do they affect the sound quality? I was under the impression that they make far less difference than the headphones themselves, but now I'm seeing amp reviews on this site...

I would buy the gold and never ever come back here. :wink: Before you get caught and hooked and can never leave, until your significant other beats you to death with your credit card bill. So I am not going to give you any advice because I don't want you to get stuck in this amazing vortex of headphone wonderment. I am just messing around and welcome.  

The guys in the Q701 thread say the Superlux has a similar sound signature for a lot cheaper.  I haven't heard them, but if it's true, they might do the trick.

Alternately, I know a guy selling a like new PLYR1 for $50 cheaper than Amazon.  *cough*

Which Superlux? I am curious Still.

People say the gold is very comfy but it lacks the bass for some and other say it's great. ..tough to know but it's wireless on consoles and on pc! But can also be wired. I want something nice playing warmish bassy but clear headphone too. And the gold is also interesting to me and right price so we are in the same boat.
Actually i think You would love how cal! Sounds but the comfort leaves something to be desired and that's why i want to change it to something else.
cheers!

You have mentioned the CALs comfort a few times. Funny how everyone is so different. I think the CAL with it's HM5 earpads is right up there with my Koss KSC75 as the most comfortable headphone I own.

Apr 4, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #22,627 of 48,560
Apr 4, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #22,628 of 48,560
All attempts have failed on my end, I don't have any TRRS plugs on hand so I might have to order a TB cable for it to test chat. So far the PS3/PS4 chat cable does not work at all. When I plug it into the mix-amp, it auto mutes everyone and no one can hear me and I can't hear them. I still have audio from the PS4 itself but chat is muted. Same goes for the PS3. 

I have the PS4 set-up to optical out > Dolby Digital 5.1 > output to headphones - chat > mute camera mic. I get no chat audio at all. It's a shame the PS3/PS4 chat cable is defective though...

Apr 4, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #22,629 of 48,560
Apr 4, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #22,630 of 48,560
i put up some quick impressions under the video on Youtube, making some corrections about what i said in the vid (made a few mistakes).
frown.gif

Totally forgot to mention but the pouch that came with the HS-15 was a gift from the seller that I bought them from and not actually included when bought new. My bad XD

Apr 4, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #22,632 of 48,560

Thanks for replying Stillhart.
Having heard both I don't agree with that at all.
The Q701 has that AKG house sound.
The HD668b is a baby DT990pro Beyer with less clarity.

For people starting out that is why I always suggest HD668b. It is cheap, light, with great sound that impresses a lot of people that know little to nothing about headphone audio. It will make almost everything sound good and isn't overly picky about source. The cord is cheaper then hell to replace. They lose nothing by buying it. Along with the KSC75, and CAL! they are just great starter headphones. Lets them get a taste and form their own opinions on what they want out of a headphone.

Apr 4, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #22,633 of 48,560
Well either way, the Superlux sounds like a decent choice for a starter set for someone on a budget.  I haven't heard them so I can't comment, just throwing it out there.

Apr 4, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #22,634 of 48,560
anyone tried sony xb600? People say those are comfortable (don't look like that) and give good warm, fun sound for the buck. good replacement for cal1 ? again. I am mostly looking for comfort and durability now... plus it would be nice if the headphone/headset I am looking for was warm, fun, not sounding worse than cal1 and had good positional. Afterall its a game oriented topic
edit: Actually there are xb600 and xb910 available in europe only. no xb800... so is 910 worth twice the price of 600?... I think I am going way off the topic here. Ignore me if I am asking way too offtopic questions and I will not post anymore :p

Apr 4, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #22,635 of 48,560
Hi folks, I got my hands on Audio Technica's ATH-ADG1 and I'm thoroughly impressed with both its comfort and audio. 
I'm a UK PS4 gamer and pretty much play COD exclusively. At present, I'm using Turtle Beach's ACU but having previously used an older version of Astro's mix amp on PS3, I have a 2013 mix amp on order for comparison. 
I've read on page one about external amps and wondering if any kind soul could give me a recommenddation for this set up. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back