Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 3, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #22,546 of 48,561
Ok dropped dreams of wireless. Now detachable cable is a priority and comfort.
What is my replacement for call! ? Possibly in 100 range. Warm, fun, bassy but not bass only. Similiar to how call sound i guess but maybe more fun if possible.
No mic or detachable. Would be nice if worked with consoles but if not then I will connect via analog no problem. Virtual surround is also not what i am looking for.
So in short i am looking for next step after cal with more comfort and detachable cord Thanks !
edit: Just a suggestion. It's a bit over priced but how is sound blaster evo? On the paper it covers all my needs.. but somehow I expect it to sound bad
edit2:somehow creative/sound blaster is what I always end up with :p

Skullcandy Slyr.

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #22,547 of 48,561
Btw:
I have no idea how you even think this will be comfortable. Why on earth would you want this thing, MLE? I imagine it'll be extremely side heavy and put a TON of pressure on the top of your skull. No thanks!

You callin my girlfriend FAT?!?
:mad:

(She can pressure my mind sometimes)

Apr 3, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #22,549 of 48,561
I've not heard of this before, tell me more
smily_headphones1.gif

Nor did I.
It is a 24" IPS based [well it uses a Samsung PLS panel, which is the same thing] gaming monitor. Has the fastest input time response of all the IPS screens I've looked at and it even has some gaming oriented functions.
Oh and compared to my previous TN panel, the picture is vibrant and beautiful.
It has an industrial design, so no glitters but it is practical and works really well. 5 years warranty and zero dead pixel guarantee on top of that.

Here is all you need - http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2012/review-eizo-foris-fs2333-bk.html#Introduction

Needless to say, I am absolutely happy! The colors just pop and it's amazing for gaming.

Apr 3, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #22,550 of 48,561
Ok dropped dreams of wireless. Now detachable cable is a priority and comfort.
What is my replacement for call! ? Possibly in 100 range. Warm, fun, bassy but not bass only. Similiar to how call sound i guess but maybe more fun if possible.
No mic or detachable. Would be nice if worked with consoles but if not then I will connect via analog no problem. Virtual surround is also not what i am looking for.
So in short i am looking for next step after cal with more comfort and detachable cord Thanks !
edit: Just a suggestion. It's a bit over priced but how is sound blaster evo? On the paper it covers all my needs.. but somehow I expect it to sound bad
edit2:somehow creative/sound blaster is what I always end up with :p

How about the CAL2!? If you like the Cal! 1 why not just stick with the same brand, headphone line. Reviews say they sound similar, has leather, and a detachable cable with a mic.

Edit due to being near a computer finally: Also I would love to hear these with the alpha pads. The comfort would be amazing because those pads are. I imagine (don't know personally) it would improve the soundstage and sub bass due to their thickness and depth.

Napalm you are sort of giving away your age with recommending OCS. Which by the way are a wonderful group and that album is amazing. They were part of the '90 Britpop invasion Along with Blur, Oasis, Pulp, Maniac Street Preachers, and Happy Mondays, etc etc etc. All amazing groups. I am a bit of a britophile.

Apr 3, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #22,551 of 48,561
Oppo is releasing the PM-1 in the middle of this month for $1099. They also mentioned something new:

The PM-2. Same design, same everything, but using cheaper parts (plastic instead of whatever metal), pleather instead of lambskin leather. It will cost $699. That number sounds way more reasonable than $1099 for the same sound with stronger build.

The thing that gets me is that Oppo will ALSO have option velour pads for these. That just made me REALLY wanna try them. The only full-sized headphones I'd ever consider now are planarmagnetic. 400i sounds more ideal at $500 though.

Sorry for not multi-quoting. One was done on my phone other on a comp. 

I think I am reaching the same level as you MLE. I mean down the road there are some dynamics I would like to get back, HD598 (Best soundstage my ears have ever heard), CAL!2 (just to try). I will like you always have a Koss KSC75/35 in my collection due to their price, ease of use and comfort. If I come into a bunch of money a TH900. (who wouldn't?)

There is just something about the imaging on a planar that can't be recreated with a dynamic driver. It is something special. That is why I am excited about the 400i and 560. Finally Planars that don't weigh so damn much it gives me sore neck. Why on earth did Audeze go even heavier with the XC? I would have loved to keep the 400 but it is easily the most uncomfortable headphone I have personally ever tried, next to the Sony Elite Headset. (That thing is HORRID).

Right now I am all focused on getting the 400i and a more capable amp. Denon line or AudioGD wolfson not sure which but it will be the last amp I ever buy. So focused I am thinking of selling my MadDog 3.0 with alphas and DT990 600ohm after a pad change. Only thing that holds me back is the damn Canadian postage, things are bad up here and getting worse as far as postage is concerned. I would be even willing to trade straight across for a pair of HD598s. But I am not going to rush into anything. 

Sorry for staying away for so long. Just thought I would drop in and say a few words and a hello.

Apr 3, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #22,552 of 48,561
Hey Hailin!
Long time no see!
Sounds like a good plan, but FWIH the CAL!2 no longer has a Fostex driver and is actually a step back... I don't have any more details than that, so if you're interested in the headphone I advise you to read some reviews first.

Conq,
I looked at that monitor, it had some nice things but Amazon reviews lead me to believe that you only get those low pixel response times when you have the screen in overdrive mode, and that it looks bad that way. The 5 year warranty does seem to almost offset the high price.

I think I'm gonna go with a $160 23" Asus IPS, with 5ms native pixel response time, especially since 4k and g-sync screens are just around the corner

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #22,553 of 48,561
Hey Hailin!
Long time no see!
Sounds like a good plan, but FWIH the CAL!2 no longer has a Fostex driver and is actually a step back... I don't have any more details than that, so if you're interested in the headphone I advise you to read some reviews first.

Conq,
I looked at that monitor, it had some nice things but Amazon reviews lead me to believe that you only get those low pixel response times when you have the screen in overdrive mode, and that it looks bad that way. The 5 year warranty does seem to almost offset the high price.

I think I'm gonna go with a $160 23" Asus IPS, with 5ms native pixel response time, especially since 4k and g-sync screens are just around the corner

Evshrug will you tell me the make and model of the asus monitor you are looking at..i might get a asus one..thanks!

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #22,554 of 48,561
Hey Hailin!
Long time no see!

Conq,

I have the overdrive set to off all the time and on the contrary, the Prad review says that the response time is fast even without it.
But suit yourself :]

About the Asus, their panels are somewhat unreliable [and I have to attest to that from personal experience] but if you get a good one, it's by no means slouchy,
Id look into the Dell U2412M and Asus PA238Q as worthy alternatives

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #22,555 of 48,561
How about the CAL2!? If you like the Cal! 1 why not just stick with the same brand, headphone line. Reviews say they sound similar, has leather, and a detachable cable with a mic.

Edit due to being near a computer finally: Also I would love to hear these with the alpha pads. The comfort would be amazing because those pads are. I imagine (don't know personally) it would improve the soundstage and sub bass due to their thickness and depth.

Napalm you are sort of giving away your age with recommending OCS. Which by the way are a wonderful group and that album is amazing. They were part of the '90 Britpop invasion Along with Blur, Oasis, Pulp, Maniac Street Preachers, and Happy Mondays, etc etc etc. All amazing groups. I am a bit of a britophile.

Yeah cal2 looks great I am just afraid that headband is as uncomfortable as in original cal and it looks plastic. Wonder how durable it is. Detachable cable is a great thing tho and those pads don't exactly look memory foam comfortable, but look nice enough. the price is a bit step here in Poland but not out of the reach

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #22,556 of 48,561
Hey Hailin!
Long time no see!

Thanks Evs. 

Actually both the CAL and CAL2  have 40mm biocellulose Foster 399317 drivers.
 CAL1

CAL2 (Courtesy of Kingpage and his CAL2 review.)
Sorry just want to avoid any confusion.

EDIT: I just want to add it doesn't mean that the CAL2 is better or worse though because there are so many variables in the housing and pads. I am in process of ordering one now as I want to see how different they are. I sorta feel I am talking out my buttock and should have some real world experience because I honestly want to hear it with my own ears. :) Now to find free shipping. lol

Apr 3, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #22,558 of 48,561
Hi guys. I was wondering if someone knows off the top of your head if you can buy after market ear pads for K240 mkii's, I've tried searching but couldn't find anything relevant. I thought I'd ask here seeing how I already post in this thread and didn't want to start a thread over such a small thing, especially if someone here knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back