Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 3, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #39,046 of 48,561
Yeah I just bought a bunch of Schiit (Saga, Vidar, Eitr, and Mani), still need a Turntable, but may wait for Sol if I don't get one for my birthday. Still recovering from my Vizio P75-C1 purchase about a month ago, and stretched the budget for the Schiit because I'm turning 40 next week. Love being single and no children! I may have to buy a Smyth Research A16 at the pre-order price because it is much cheaper than regular price. I hate this hobby as much as I love it. Very expensive to stay current and content. Headphones are at the back of the priority list, as I truly love a few I currently own, and don't feel I am missing anything. Hoping the new Schiit really improves my 2 channel system, as it is on almost all day long (TV sound goes through it).

Aug 6, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #39,047 of 48,561
Wow, this is a monster thread. I've been through the first post, which is obviously great, but it's quite old now. I'll work my way though the last chunks, but in the meantime, a few tips would be handy:

My old faithful TurtleBeach XP 500s have snapped in half, so I need a replacement. The main requirement is for them to be good at FPS games like R6. I'm not looking for a 'fun' sound, I'd like to hear where the enemy is.
I can see recommendations for the AD700, some AKGs, the Fidelio X2 etc. Presumably I'd need to do a mic mod for those? And could I run them from the xbox controller and use the Xbox Dolby Atmos, or would I also need to buy an amp? (that's if the amp from my XP500 isn't suitable).

Since some gaming headsets boost frequencies so you can hear footsteps and the like better (eg TB's Superhuman hearing), could they be a better option than traditional headphones?
Wireless would be a bonus (a wire just from the controller is practically wireless), but I'd like to see what's best first.

As well as the traditional headphones, some gaming options would be:
Turtle Beach Elite Pro & Tactical Audio Controller (£230 the pair). Wired.
Turtle Beach Stealth 600 (£90). I don't need the BT that the 700s come with. Wireless.
LucidSound LS35x - not out until December. Wireless.
Sennheiser Game One (£190). Just a wire from the controller.
Audio Technica ADG1x (£269 closed, £300 open). Mic included. Not sure if they can be driven (enough) from the controller or not.

If they're just not as good for competitive gaming, please say :)

Thanks

Oh, I have a dragonfly back if that's any use.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #39,048 of 48,561
You can overcome lack of power output by attaching a portable amp to the controller. 3.5mm mic/headphone splitter > 3.5mm cable to amp > amp to headphones. If the built in Dolby Atmos is actually good (haven't heard it myself) then that's pretty much all you need. Check out Massdrop PC37X. It's $120 and it's really good for the price.

Aug 6, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #39,049 of 48,561
You can overcome lack of power output by attaching a portable amp to the controller. 3.5mm mic/headphone splitter > 3.5mm cable to amp > amp to headphones.
Thanks I'll check that out. It does sound like a pain though.
If the built in Dolby Atmos is actually good (haven't heard it myself) then that's pretty much all you need.
I'm not sure if it's good yet, but I assume it will be. You'll just get the game sounds though, you won't get boosted footsteps etc, as I presume you do with the popular console gaming headsets.
Check out Massdrop PC37X. It's $120 and it's really good for the price.
Thanks. I've got to get it to the UK and pay tax, but that still shouldn't be too bad. I'll have a look through the reviews. Are they any better for gaming than the TB Elite Pro & Astro A50?

Aug 6, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #39,050 of 48,561
Thanks I'll check that out. It does sound like a pain though.
I'm not sure if it's good yet, but I assume it will be. You'll just get the game sounds though, you won't get boosted footsteps etc, as I presume you do with the popular console gaming headsets.
Thanks. I've got to get it to the UK and pay tax, but that still shouldn't be too bad. I'll have a look through the reviews. Are they any better for gaming than the TB Elite Pro & Astro A50?
The boosted footsteps thing is actually just an equalizer. Can be done with any other amp that offers EQ capabilities. Dunno how it compares to the A50 as I haven't heard them but I do know that for $120 it's the best bang for the buck on the market. You may want to buy the shorter cable though, the PC37X ships with a 3m long cable by default.

Aug 6, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #39,051 of 48,561
Thank you for the advice.
The boosted footsteps thing is actually just an equalizer. Can be done with any other amp that offers EQ capabilities.
Yes I understand, some gaming headsets will have those tweaks done.

I'm just reading the massdrop review/discussion thread. Nice review from you I see :)
I do know that for $120 it's the best bang for the buck on the market.
I certainly believe you. Can you get anything better for $220?
You may want to buy the shorter cable though, the PC37X ships with a 3m long cable by default.
Is that shorter cable available on the massdrop, or somewhere else?

I see that the headphones are 50 ohm. Is it fine to use them straight from the Xbox controller, or is it worth buying an amp etc (if so, which one)?

Aug 7, 2017 at 2:12 AM Post #39,052 of 48,561
Thank you for the advice.
Yes I understand, some gaming headsets will have those tweaks done.

I'm just reading the massdrop review/discussion thread. Nice review from you I see :)
I certainly believe you. Can you get anything better for $220?
Is that shorter cable available on the massdrop, or somewhere else?

I see that the headphones are 50 ohm. Is it fine to use them straight from the Xbox controller, or is it worth buying an amp etc (if so, which one)?
For $220 you could get Massdrop x HiFiMan HE4XX, their Minimic and there still would be some cash left lol

Or you could just buy the $20 Ketdirect microphone and then pair it up with Sennheiser HD5X8 series headphone, or Philips SHP9500. The possibilities are endlesshttps://www.amazon.com/adapter-Microphone-Universal-Android-headphone/dp/B01HB9N6V2

Just remember that there are two versions of this microphone, the 2.5mm one (suitable for Sennheiser 5XX and Audio Technica MX0X series) and the 3.5mm one (suitable for everything else that has detachable cable).

Aug 7, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #39,053 of 48,561
For $220 you could get Massdrop x HiFiMan HE4XX, their Minimic and there still would be some cash left lol
Would they be better at FPS from a competitive point of view?
The possibilities are endless
I know :) The PC37x are clearly a great choice at $120. I'm just wondering if they're basically as good as anything at $220, or if they're only good compared to the competition under say $150.

Aug 8, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #39,054 of 48,561
The PC
Would they be better at FPS from a competitive point of view?
I know :) The PC37x are clearly a great choice at $120. I'm just wondering if they're basically as good as anything at $220, or if they're only good compared to the competition under say $150.

The PC37X is EXTREMELY easy to drive. 116db/MW, which means they can be driven to extremely loud levels from weak sources such as a controller or phone. The Included mic is also very good. They sound very good and can play music very well also (They are MUCH better than the PC360 I used to own). The Hifiman 4XX will need an amp, and mic. You could always grab the PC37X, and then save up a little, and grab another headphone down the line (with a proper amp and or DAC (Creative X7 is a great choice for gaming and music, with a powerful built in amp, $300 on sale). The PC37X Is a great starting point, that is about as low cost as possible for great sound. Obviously spending more can get you greater results, but almost all headphones will need a decent amp to drive them well. I would also check the used section as you can sometimes save a good deal of money going used. I was able to pickup a tube amp for half price with a bunch of very good NOS tubes. I also grabbed Hifiman Edition X (HEX) V2 for $400 less than retail.

One nice thing is if you do grab the PC37X, many of us own them and could help lead you to your next headphone options once you know what you want to improve about the PC37X. It is great when you own a headphone that several of us in this thread have used or own. So for example, you want more deep bass and maybe more treble, it helps us point out models that may be right up your alley. Good luck and I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the price/performance ratio that the Senn PC37X provides.

Aug 8, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #39,055 of 48,561
The PC37X is EXTREMELY easy to drive. 116db/MW, which means they can be driven to extremely loud levels from weak sources such as a controller or phone.
Thanks.
The Included mic is also very good. They sound very good and can play music very well also (They are MUCH better than the PC360 I used to own)
Much better at everything, or was that comment referring to music?
You could always grab the PC37X, and then save up a little, and grab another headphone down the line (with a proper amp and or DAC (Creative X7 is a great choice for gaming and music, with a powerful built in amp, $300 on sale). The PC37X Is a great starting point, that is about as low cost as possible for great sound.
I really don't want to have the PC37X as a low cost option while saving up, if there's something better I'd rather go for that now. I don't want it for music, I already have an NFB-11 and HD650 for that (in a different room).

Obviously spending more can get you greater results
So what would be good for gaming from $200 to $400? (inc headphone, mic, amp if req)

One nice thing is if you do grab the PC37X, many of us own them and could help lead you to your next headphone options once you know what you want to improve about the PC37X.
If I had the PC37X now, I already know what I'd want to improve - I'd want it to have better separation/imaging for locating enemies.

Aug 9, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #39,056 of 48,561
Hello, i might be stupid to ask you this or maybe it has been answered in the 2600 pages before me but i havent read them all. i am a huge fps gamer, positioning placement is very important for me. and i want to get the best that i can possibly afford. i have no problem with buying and amp a mic and some headphones. what would be some of the best options for me, when i want something that can give me an edge in competetive counterstrike.
right now i have the beyerdynamic 990 pros powered with a røde nt usb microphone but it has some sort of weird static sound or constant tone that comes and goes. the beyerdynamic 990 has very good directional but i am not sure they are the pair for me, i have also looked at the sennheiser hd600 or the hd 599 some audio technica, but i wanted to ask for your opinion what would be the best solution and which headphones would you recomend and say is the best if we are talking inside the hd600 price range? i know the amp will be beside that, but money isnt a problem.

i am looking forward to your answer. thank you

Aug 9, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #39,058 of 48,561
Of my cheaper headphones, I would say the Monoprice M1060 is my favorite. Sadly, the Vegan Audeze pads are hard to find. Some love them stock, some change the pads out. It's a fun headphone with very good directional cues. Sound stage seems about right, not overly large, but good. Modding them is fun and pretty easy. I prefer Planar headphones for gaming these days. I'm $360 into them ($299 for the headphone, $60 for the pads). Definitely check out the M1060 thread.

I do really like the DT990, and at $140 it is a steal IMO. They're just ok for music without EQ, but good sound stage and bass. They do require an amp to get the most out of them.

The Creative Sound Blaster X7 is a really good DAC/amp/virtual surround sound system. Can go on sale for $299 regularly, Massdrop has it every few months. It has enough power to drive most headphones. Good thread here on it and all it can do. I prefer SBX over Dolby Headphone.

The Massdrop Hifiman 4XX drop looks enticing, at $169, it's the cheapest way to get into planar sound. A few reviews exist, including Tyll at Innerfidelity.

The first post of this thread covers tons of headphones, and MLE truly did a wonderful job writing good reviews. I have similar taste to him, so his recommendations follow mine the majority of the time.

The best headphone surround is coming from Smyth Research and their A16. $1700 pre-order price, $2200 after the end of next month. This is by far the best surround sound for headphones. It supports Dolby Atmos through HDMI, and as gaming starts adding this, the A16 will be the only device capable of using it. It's an insane piece of gear for sure, but obviously price will rule it out for many.

Sound whoring headphones like the AKG K702 (and it's siblings like the Massdrop K7XX at $200), have large sound stages, but lack in the fun department. Great for competitive gaming, as the bass levels are a little lower, so you can hear everything.

I also really like my Massdrop TH-X00 Ebony ($500). The Mahogany version is $399 and very similar. Great bass and actually a pretty good gaming headphone. Sound stage is smaller, very immersive sound, and I have no issues hearing footsteps. Not the sound whoring ability of the AKG, but a great option for movies and single player games.

Most of these headphones require a decent amp (Schiit Magni 2 would be fine), or the all in one Creative Sound Blaster X7, which is my top choice for surround gaming and movies. It can be upgraded several ways, which makes it a nice core component to build around.

I'm pumped about rumors of COD MW2 becoming backwards compatible. Still to this day, I find it to be the best test for headphone gaming sound. Really hoping this rumor becomes fact, and the player base is large enough to play online again.

Aug 9, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #39,059 of 48,561
In the HD600 price range and money isn't a problem are two different things if you ask me.
If the latter is the case I think a Realiser with a HD800S won't be bad at all.
the hd 800 is a little to much for my taste, i think i wrote it wrong, i meant that iwanted to pay the amount around the hd600 and then with the moeny isnt a problem i meant with the amp and mic besides it, that you shouldnt consider that in the price .
i have looked at the 800 and they look very nice but they are ridicoulous exspensive in denmark where i am from.
what do you think would be some of the best headphones if they should be in that price range and directional sound is a top priority?

Aug 9, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #39,060 of 48,561
Of my cheaper headphones, I would say the Monoprice M1060 is my favorite. Sadly, the Vegan Audeze pads are hard to find. Some love them stock, some change the pads out. It's a fun headphone with very good directional cues. Sound stage seems about right, not overly large, but good. Modding them is fun and pretty easy. I prefer Planar headphones for gaming these days. I'm $360 into them ($299 for the headphone, $60 for the pads). Definitely check out the M1060 thread.

I do really like the DT990, and at $140 it is a steal IMO. They're just ok for music without EQ, but good sound stage and bass. They do require an amp to get the most out of them.

The Creative Sound Blaster X7 is a really good DAC/amp/virtual surround sound system. Can go on sale for $299 regularly, Massdrop has it every few months. It has enough power to drive most headphones. Good thread here on it and all it can do. I prefer SBX over Dolby Headphone.

The Massdrop Hifiman 4XX drop looks enticing, at $169, it's the cheapest way to get into planar sound. A few reviews exist, including Tyll at Innerfidelity.

The first post of this thread covers tons of headphones, and MLE truly did a wonderful job writing good reviews. I have similar taste to him, so his recommendations follow mine the majority of the time.

The best headphone surround is coming from Smyth Research and their A16. $1700 pre-order price, $2200 after the end of next month. This is by far the best surround sound for headphones. It supports Dolby Atmos through HDMI, and as gaming starts adding this, the A16 will be the only device capable of using it. It's an insane piece of gear for sure, but obviously price will rule it out for many.

Sound whoring headphones like the AKG K702 (and it's siblings like the Massdrop K7XX at $200), have large sound stages, but lack in the fun department. Great for competitive gaming, as the bass levels are a little lower, so you can hear everything.

I also really like my Massdrop TH-X00 Ebony ($500). The Mahogany version is $399 and very similar. Great bass and actually a pretty good gaming headphone. Sound stage is smaller, very immersive sound, and I have no issues hearing footsteps. Not the sound whoring ability of the AKG, but a great option for movies and single player games.

Most of these headphones require a decent amp (Schiit Magni 2 would be fine), or the all in one Creative Sound Blaster X7, which is my top choice for surround gaming and movies. It can be upgraded several ways, which makes it a nice core component to build around.

I'm pumped about rumors of COD MW2 becoming backwards compatible. Still to this day, I find it to be the best test for headphone gaming sound. Really hoping this rumor becomes fact, and the player base is large enough to play online again.
Do you still think that the akg 702 is the best for positional audio and is the hd600 totally out of the race? what is the best on the market right now? in my price range?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back