Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 19, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #44,807 of 48,560
I just wonder about a small nearfield setup.
Would it make sense to apply headphone virtualization (software or hardware) and send it to a pair of nearfield speakers?
Any thoughts on a setup like that?
It won't sound right spacially. Behind you would sound above you, for example. I tried. :)

So it outputs both SBX VSS and SXFi through the optical output?
The X3 only does SBX over optical. SXFI is only available out it's analog headphone port.

Jul 19, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #44,809 of 48,560
I know you have a lot of guides, but like what is your current setup like? for PC gaming
Simple.

For pc, I use the Asus Xonar U3 to feed Dolby Headphone to my Modi 3 via optical. The microphone feed is done by the Schiit Hel, and my Amp is the Magni 3.

I use the Sennheiser 6XX with the cheap clip on mic I've had for an eternity.

For console, I don't ever use chat. I have a Mixamp 5.8 connected to my TV's optical out which can do Dolby Digital 5.1 which the Mixamp turns to Dolby Headphone. I'll then either use my KSC75X or 6XX directly to the Mixamp. Not ideal for the 6XX, but I'm lazy and it works all I need it to.

Contrary to the guide's philosophies, I'm not all that strict on audio and gear, and I tend to use the KSC75X for almost all my needs when I'm at home. The 6XX comes out for the epic games or when I'm playing Warzone with friends, of only because using the clip on mic with the KSC75X is annoying.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 3:26 AM Post #44,810 of 48,560
It won't sound right spacially. Behind you would sound above you, for example. I tried. :)

The X3 only does SBX over optical. SXFI is only available out it's analog headphone port.

Ok got my Topping DX7 Pro DAC today, and i tested out the Optical from the X3. And there was no VSS coming from the X3 optical.

Also got my Topping DX7 Pro DAC today. And almost max out the volume on it with my Arya headphones. I was like what? This DX7 Pro can't drive the Arya? kinda disappointed to be honest.

Simple.

For pc, I use the Asus Xonar U3 to feed Dolby Headphone to my Modi 3 via optical. The microphone feed is done by the Schiit Hel, and my Amp is the Magni 3.

I use the Sennheiser 6XX with the cheap clip on mic I've had for an eternity.

For console, I don't ever use chat. I have a Mixamp 5.8 connected to my TV's optical out which can do Dolby Digital 5.1 which the Mixamp turns to Dolby Headphone. I'll then either use my KSC75X or 6XX directly to the Mixamp. Not ideal for the 6XX, but I'm lazy and it works all I need it to.

Contrary to the guide's philosophies, I'm not all that strict on audio and gear, and I tend to use the KSC75X for almost all my needs when I'm at home. The 6XX comes out for the epic games or when I'm playing Warzone with friends, of only because using the clip on mic with the KSC75X is annoying.

The Asus Xonar U3 has dolby headphone coming out from the Optical output? that's nice

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #44,811 of 48,560
The Asus Xonar U3 has dolby headphone coming out from the Optical output? that's nice
Yup. Such a great and inexpensive little device. Let's you use much better dacs than the one built in. PC only, of course.

xonaru3.jpg

Jul 20, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #44,813 of 48,560
Any DAC out there that has a Line In 3.5mm input? Most of the DACs i see have Optical input only.

3.5mm input on a dac is not good, because 3.5mm line is analog. So if it did, you would just be doing analog to digital, back to analog. Not exactly beneficial for audio quality, and redundant when the 3.5mm is already analog. That's why, it's amplifiers that have 3.5mm line input.

Now, if you have a device that is both a dac and amp, then a 3.5mm input may be offered, because there, the 3.5mm would feed directly to the amp portion, and not the DAC portion. The CXreative G6 is a dac+amp, and does have a 3.5mm input, as an example.

But yes, DAC only devices don't need or shouldn't have 3.5mm inputs.

Then there are 3.5mm inputs that are actually both a combo analog and optical input. So depending on the cable being used, and the setting on the device, this 3.5mm input can be either analog line in, or optical line in. The G6 has this. Again, mainly just found on dac+amps, like the G6 and Xonar U3.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #44,815 of 48,560
So what is the deal with windows 10 spatial sound options? My impression is that it really only works well for a select few games and isn't a substitute for standard virtual 7.1 at this time.
This. I still think Dolby Atmos, Windows Sonic, AND DTS Headphone X sound woeful from the Windows menu, and not representative of the techs when you have external devices with it.

I can't quite put my figure on it. I've heard Atmos and DTS Headphone X sound better from other methods like HeSuVi.

This is why I still use the Xonar U3 or G6 for Windows, since both Dolby Headphone and SBX sound way better than the Windows internal app options.

Atmos on Windows almost sound like if I had SBX at surround 5%, instead of something more realistic like 66% or 100%. The positional info is there, but the setting is like set waaaay too low, and there's no way to change it.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #44,817 of 48,560
Nice man. Do you know any other DAC out there that let you do 7.1 channels via Optical out like your Xonar U3? What about the Xonar U7?
These are rare now, can't find them to buy anywhere
The Creative G6 and X7. From personal experience. There are more but I'll leave that for the others to say.

Jul 20, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #44,818 of 48,560
i tested out the Optical from the X3. And there was no VSS coming from the X3 optical.
You need to go into Speaker settings in Command and enable "Apply Headphone Virtualization To Optical Out"

I can't quite put my figure on it. I've heard Atmos and DTS Headphone X sound better from other methods like HeSuVi.
The game has to be Windows Sonic aware in order to really benefit from the plug-in. Otherwise you need to force the game's audio to 5.1/7.1, which is what makes the SBX solution work so well, since it can configure Windows Audio to 7.1 for games that have no audio surround settings.

Jul 20, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #44,819 of 48,560
You need to go into Speaker settings in Command and enable "Apply Headphone Virtualization To Optical Out"

There is no "apply headphone Virtualization to Optical Out" in the Speaker settings in Command.
It only has "apply Headphone Virtualization to Line out" which is the analog line out for the 7.1, not optical

I think you mistaken with another device, the one I'm using is their new Super Xfi X3

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back