Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 28, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #44,431 of 48,562
Awesome. Thanks! I just got them and they sound pretty great! Although they do seem kinda low even at 100% volume (also on the wheel). I got a Z170A Gaming Pro. Does it suck that much?
What exactly did you get?
Your motherboard comes with the Realtek ALC1150 audio processor, decent, for on-board audio.
Maybe get the Creative Labs Sound Blaster AE-5 sound card?

ty my italian friend :D,what is the different between fulla 3/heresy and magni3+? both have mic amp too?
The Hel is like the Fulla, but the Hel also comes with mic loudness control and gain switch (headphone jack voltage boost) and selectable input switch.
Modi/Magni does not come with an gaming features.

Apr 28, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #44,432 of 48,562
hi guys i play competitive fps games ,but have some problem with positional audio,my audio setup is :
ad700x + sbz + modmic 4,headphone is great but i found hesuvi is better for vss then sbz,then now i play with
gsx + or cmss + ad700x,but wanna enhance my audio with an amp/dac,is possible use hesuvi and amp/dac?(i actually use vb cable hack)and which dac/amp is best option purely for gaming?

Usually, I advise people that use hesuvi to use their motherboard audio as a dac, since it usually supports 7.1 in windows, so there is no need for vb cable, and the set up is simplified. You can then buy just a headphone amp.

Apr 29, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #44,434 of 48,562
What exactly did you get?
Your motherboard comes with the Realtek ALC1150 audio processor, decent, for on-board audio.
Maybe get the Creative Labs Sound Blaster AE-5 sound card?

I got the GSP 500.
I found a small sound card here at home, and immediately felt an increase in volume and overall audio quality.

The sound card sucks, it cost me 10$ its a "Gembird Premium USB sound card".

What do you recommend in terms of DAC/AMP for the GSP 500?
I was thinking either the creative G1(30$) or a dac/amp such as the FiiO E10K (70$) or the E10(30$).
I can also get a Creative Sound Blaster Z for around 30-40$)

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #44,435 of 48,562
Hello,

I appreciate you must get many generic posts asking for advice or comparisons of products, and I came across many during my searches so I apologise in advance.

I want to provide as much detail about what I am looking for, my use case, budget and current setup and would really appreciate any advice you can give me.

These headphones will primarily be used for voice communications whilst gaming and I also really enjoy the immersive feel when playing MMOs , so I would like them to cater for that. I would be interested in something to enjoy music with as well, although have a pair of Shure IEMs I use for this though.

I currently have the older version of the Beyerdynamic MMX300 which has started to fail me due to a cable issue and has just fallen out of warranty. I run this via a Soundblaster ZXR although I do have a Yahama N500 driving a pair of Dali Zensor 3s if that might be better suited to driving my new headphones.
Whilst I've enjoyed my current setup, I find the MMX300s to be uncomfortable during longer sessions, my ears get pushed back and very warm and I often revert to a desktop mic and speakers much to the dismay of my gamer friends, so I am looking for an improvement there.

My absolute budget would be around £1000, my initial thoughts were a pair of Beyerdynamic T1s with an after market mic such as the Antlion Modmic, however I am sure I am going way overboard here and have found through further reading that I would probably require an external AMP/DAC combo to drive the T1s which has led me to drive myself insane reading for the last few days about what I really should do.

Please could you offer advice on your recommendations for my budget and requirements? I normally would not spend so much on something like this but I spend so many hours a day with these on my head and feel it is worth investing in.

Apr 29, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #44,436 of 48,562
These headphones will primarily be used for voice communications whilst gaming and I also really enjoy the immersive feel when playing MMOs , so I would like them to cater for that. I would be interested in something to enjoy music with as well, although have a pair of Shure IEMs I use for this though.
I currently have the older version of the Beyerdynamic MMX300 which has started to fail me due to a cable issue and has just fallen out of warranty. I run this via a Sound Blaster ZXR although I do have a Yamaha N500 driving a pair of Dali Zensor 3s if that might be better suited to driving my new headphones.
Whilst I've enjoyed my current setup, I find the MMX300s to be uncomfortable during longer sessions, my ears get pushed back and very warm and I often revert to a desktop mic and speakers much to the dismay of my gamer friends, so I am looking for an improvement there.
My absolute budget would be around £1000, my initial thoughts were a pair of Beyerdynamic T1s with an aftermarket mic such as the Antlion Modmic, however I am sure I am going way overboard here and have found through further reading that I would probably require an external AMP/DAC combo to drive the T1s which has led me to drive myself insane reading for the last few days about what I really should do.
I would say to just keep using the SB-ZxR.
Headphones in the 60-Ohm to 300-Ohm range would work best with the SB-ZxR.
Headphones to check out.
https://www.thomann.de/gb/hifi_head...t=0&price-last=1000&oa=prd&filter=true&ls=100

Apr 29, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #44,437 of 48,562
Shortly after posting I discovered the LCD-GXs which seem to be very much what i'm looking for. I'm just a bit hesitant to go for them as they are around the same price as the Beyerdynamic T1s. It feels a bit of a shame to go for the GXs , despite the primary use case being gaming, I feel like I would get more for my money by going for something that would enhance music enjoyment more like the T1s and having gaming being a secondary concern.

Does anyone have experience with both of these? Should I just up my budget for the 800HDs?

Apr 29, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #44,438 of 48,562
Hi all,

I'm needing to know if this will work. Let's say I have an Astro Mixamp connected via optical and USB to PS4. Currently wired using Philips SHP9500 headphones and V-Moda BoomPro mic. I've never much cared for the BoomPro. I'm told I get some echo on my end from members in party chat.

After researching alternative mics, I settled on a Modmic wireless. Thinking of a way to also convert the game audio to wireless, I see the Fiio BTR3 bluetooth receiver. If I bought a bluetooth transmitter to plug into the 3.5mm headphone output of the mixamp, will this be capable of sending game audio wirelessly to the BTR3? Would I still be able to control the chatmix & volume at the mixamp and also control volume at the BTR3?

Apr 30, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #44,439 of 48,562
I got the GSP 500.
I found a small sound card here at home, and immediately felt an increase in volume and overall audio quality.

The sound card sucks, it cost me 10$ its a "Gembird Premium USB sound card".

What do you recommend in terms of DAC/AMP for the GSP 500?
I was thinking either the creative G1(30$) or a dac/amp such as the FiiO E10K (70$) or the E10(30$).
I can also get a Creative Sound Blaster Z for around 30-40$)
If the $10 Gembird is such a noticeable improvement over your motherboard, then I would definitely recommend something besides the motherboard XD
Out of everything you listed, the Blaster Z would be the best sounding... if that's a legitimate Creative card (that's a very low price). The FiiO E10K is "fine," but it doesn't have a microphone input.

Hi all,

I'm needing to know if this will work. Let's say I have an Astro Mixamp connected via optical and USB to PS4. Currently wired using Philips SHP9500 headphones and V-Moda BoomPro mic. I've never much cared for the BoomPro. I'm told I get some echo on my end from members in party chat.

After researching alternative mics, I settled on a Modmic wireless. Thinking of a way to also convert the game audio to wireless, I see the Fiio BTR3 bluetooth receiver. If I bought a bluetooth transmitter to plug into the 3.5mm headphone output of the mixamp, will this be capable of sending game audio wirelessly to the BTR3? Would I still be able to control the chatmix & volume at the mixamp and also control volume at the BTR3?
Well, I don't think the BTR3 or BTR3K have an audio return channel for your mic. Furthermore, when you do use a microphone and game audio over Bluetooth, it switches to a different transmission codec... one commonly associated with phone calls, and it doesn't sound very good. If you're connecting a bluetooth transmitter to the Mixamp's game audio output and the modmic wireless to the mic input... that would be convoluted, but I guess that should work.

BTW, I feel like I read that the PS5 will be compatible with headphone accessories that worked with the PS4, but I think it would be well worth it to see if you can find that information for yourself. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #44,440 of 48,562
If the $10 Gembird is such a noticeable improvement over your motherboard, then I would definitely recommend something besides the motherboard XD
Out of everything you listed, the Blaster Z would be the best sounding... if that's a legitimate Creative card (that's a very low price). The FiiO E10K is "fine," but it doesn't have a microphone input.

Sorry, forgot to say, its a used one I found here. It's this one.
I can get any of these sound cards:

X-Fi Titanium Professional Gaming

Asus Xonar D2X 7.1

Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro

Creative Sound Blaster Z

I can also get a FiiO E10k but that only has one 3.5mm and I need two (since GSP 500 is an headset). Or would I be able to connect the headphone in the FiiO E10k and then the Mic on my MB?

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #44,441 of 48,562
Well, I don't think the BTR3 or BTR3K have an audio return channel for your mic. Furthermore, when you do use a microphone and game audio over Bluetooth, it switches to a different transmission codec... one commonly associated with phone calls, and it doesn't sound very good. If you're connecting a bluetooth transmitter to the Mixamp's game audio output and the modmic wireless to the mic input... that would be convoluted, but I guess that should work.

BTW, I feel like I read that the PS5 will be compatible with headphone accessories that worked with the PS4, but I think it would be well worth it to see if you can find that information for yourself. Good Luck!

Correct, the issue with BT and PS4 is the mic return channel not being transmitted. As far as I know, the only two options to send chat audio over BT with PS4 are the modmic wireless mic, and the Creative BT-W2 transceiver. The Creative BT-W2 is limited to: "Third-party headsets have to support both aptX-LL and FastStream codecs to utilize Vocal Back channel." -So your basically limited to Creative's BT headsets, which are mostly underwhelming.

I think the modmic wireless, BTR3, and BT aptx-LL transmitter from the mixamp combo would work, though you're right it would be convoluted. Since I'd be connecting to game audio separately from chat audio, the quality won't be degraded. I'm mainly just curious if it would work to send processed game audio via BT and still have control over the chatmix from the mixamp (which would be within an arm's reach) and not be limited to wires.

As for PS5, I'm still waiting to see the console reveal before I buy anything else headphone related. If Sony doesn't retain the optical out, then that's going to render a lot of my equipment useless. If that is the case I hope headphone surround sound on PS5 can be provided at the OS level and sent via USB. It's been a bit frustrating this gen that PS4 USB is limited to stereo. Another thing to note about PS5 chat is the DualSense controller has a built-in mic array. I have my reservations about that, but I'm hopeful it will be decent.

Apr 30, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #44,442 of 48,562
Shortly after posting I discovered the LCD-GXs which seem to be very much what i'm looking for. I'm just a bit hesitant to go for them as they are around the same price as the Beyerdynamic T1s. It feels a bit of a shame to go for the GXs , despite the primary use case being gaming, I feel like I would get more for my money by going for something that would enhance music enjoyment more like the T1s and having gaming being a secondary concern. Does anyone have experience with both of these? Should I just up my budget for the 800HDs?

You could buy something like a used Audio Technica ATH-AD700(X), use those for FPS gaming, but buy a second headphone for everything else.

Apr 30, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #44,444 of 48,562
I got the FiiO E10k and will be using it with the GSP 500!
Should I plug in the headphone jack into the FiiO and the Mic into my MB? Or is it better to use the "console cable" that comes with the GSP 500 (makes headphone and mic into 1 jack)

Apr 30, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #44,445 of 48,562
While the topic is on sound cards has anyone compared the EVGA Nu vs ZXR? There is a great deal over here where you can get an LCD-GX along with a Nu for just £50 over rrp of the headphone.
I'm not seeing any worthwhile advantages of replacing the SB-ZxR, with the EVGA Nu.
I'm guessing the seller is trying to unload their stock of EVGA Nu sound cards, that why it's selling for only the extra 50 GBP (guessing).
I would say to get something like a JDS Atom or Schiit Magni headphone amplifier, connect it to the SB-ZxR's line-output, those amps would be good for driving low Ohm (20-Ohm LCD-GX) headphones.
But using that type of connection will bypass the SB-ZxR's SBX Headphone surround sound, which does not matter for music audio or any other stereo audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back