Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 19, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #44,191 of 48,560
I wish I could compare them to the denon 5k or 7k, but I haven’t heard them. I have owned both the fostex ebony and mahogany in the past, and prefer the teaks to those. I felt the fostex x00 had more bass quantity, but that it overpowered other aspects of the headphones and became more muddy overall than the teaks. That being said, I enjoyed all three overall.

there is a comparison post by Tyll for the teaks, denons and fostex our there.

Mar 19, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #44,192 of 48,560
I wish I could compare them to the denon 5k or 7k, but I haven’t heard them. I have owned both the fostex ebony and mahogany in the past, and prefer the teaks to those. I felt the fostex x00 had more bass quantity, but that it overpowered other aspects of the headphones and became more muddy overall than the teaks. That being said, I enjoyed all three overall.

there is a comparison post by Tyll for the teaks, denons and fostex our there.
As much as I enjoyed the TH900, they weren't for me. I was very close to getting some X00s too, but then heard about the Teak being better, and was waiting on a Drop for those. I'll ask Drop if they are willing to send them out.

Imagine I prefer them over the D7K, LOL.

One thing I will say, is that my tastes HAVE evolved past the D7K phase. I mean, I still love them, but I think nowadays, I find a preference to things like the better planars out there. It's crazy. Though I'll have to get the stock pads and see if they change my mind.

Edit; Ooh, I didn't realize that Emu was a subsidiary of Creative. INTERESTING. If I can't get Drop to send them to me, maybe my Creative contact could make it happen.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #44,193 of 48,560
I made an error when I mentioned the comparison post, he does not compare the teaks with the 7k.

Mar 19, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #44,194 of 48,560
Yeah, Tyll prefers the D5K over the D7K, so it's understandable. But I've only had experience with the 7K, TH600 and TH900.

So I went and ordered the Dekoni attenuation rings for Fostex headphones. I feel I might need those with the hybrid pads, because the opening is much larger than the stock Denon pads, which I feel may be altering things more than I'd like.

Mar 21, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #44,196 of 48,560
I just wanted to point out that the Dekoni Elite Velour pads help widen and improve the soundstage of the DT-1990, and makes it easier to differentiate Side L/R and Rear L/R, and Front L/R now present themselves more forward, compared to the A-pads or B-pads. Probably due to the fact the pads are at least twice as thick, and therefore move the driver back futher from the ear, much like my Sony MDR-SA5000, which are recessed back, and angled.

Mar 21, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #44,197 of 48,560
A lot of really fantastic reviews! With all the choice it's almost stressful trying to decide on a next purchase. Is it always better to go with a dedicated headphone + modmic?

I used to be really into high end audio, but it's been a long time and the inrush of gaming headset options and the unlimited headphone + mic options is a lot to take in before deciding.

Mar 21, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #44,198 of 48,560
A lot of really fantastic reviews! With all the choice it's almost stressful trying to decide on a next purchase. Is it always better to go with a dedicated headphone + modmic?

I used to be really into high end audio, but it's been a long time and the inrush of gaming headset options and the unlimited headphone + mic options is a lot to take in before deciding.
The headphone + modmic option opens you up to an insane amount of potential combos. There are some notable units that come as headsets, like the Audeze Mobius and the Beyerdynamic MMX-300, which is essentially their DT-770 with a mic. Tho I think a Sundara + modmic would be pretty killer. I use a DT-1990 + Dekoni Elite Velour + Modmic Uni + G6 + Asgard 3. (Damn that custom list is getting long)

There are some notable options that are more affordable. Philips X2HR + VModa Boom Pro mic (or Beyerdynamic's add-on mic) would be an under $200 solution.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #44,199 of 48,560
The headphone + modmic option opens you up to an insane amount of potential combos. There are some notable units that come as headsets, like the Audeze Mobius and the Beyerdynamic MMX-300, which is essentially their DT-770 with a mic. Tho I think a Sundara + modmic would be pretty killer. I use a DT-1990 + Dekoni Elite Velour + Modmic Uni + G6 + Asgard 3. (Damn that custom list is getting long)

There are some notable options that are more affordable. Philips X2HR + VModa Boom Pro mic (or Beyerdynamic's add-on mic) would be an under $200 solution.

I definitely appreciate it, I'm not opposed to spending some money for a high quality solution. I had a pair of HiFiMan HE400's that I liked a lot, so I'll definitely have to look more at the Sundaras and see if I can try those out locally anywhere.

With so many good options though, analysis paralysis sort of sets in

Mar 22, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #44,200 of 48,560
So the Dekoni attenuation rings that come for Dekoni 's Fostex pad alternative, really were the trick to bring back the bass on the D7K. I'm still waiting on the stock pads to arrive, but yeah, the Fostex TH900 hybrid pads have a large circular opening which the D7K weren't intended to have. The attenuation closes off the opening to stock pad opening sizes, and it focuses the bass and sound as intended.

This was more like the D7K I was expecting.

It'll be interesting comparing the hybrid pads to the stock pads.

I may have to get the X00 hybrid pads since they have an oval opening like the Denon pads. Perhaps to bring it even closer to what I expected. I'll wait until I have assesed the stock pads, if/when they arrive.

Did not like the Lawton pads that came with the set I bought. Killed the bass a bit. This is precisely why I always said I would never mod the D7000. It takes away the things that make it unique. For what? To make it sound like so many other headphones, no thanks.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #44,202 of 48,560
Ok so the stock pads came in. I feel the Dekoni hybrid with the attenuation rings are close enough to the stock pads, so that's what I'm gonna be going with for the D7000. I'm a little miffed that the hybrid pads I have are for the TH900 and have a large circular hole. I really don't wanna spend so much money on TH-X00 pads with the oval holes similar to the D7000 pads. Eventually when I have spare funds, I''ll probably do it. Right now, the way things are going, I don't want to spend another dime. Who knows what's gonna happen in a month or two.

Mar 27, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #44,205 of 48,560
I currently have been using a AKG K712 PRO for a while now which is hooked up to a MAGNI 3 which in turn is connected to a Creative Sound Blaster ZxR.

The sound is good, but it's not "amazing". I remember when i used to have a Sennheiser PC363D i was immediately wowed by the sound (with virtual surround). I remember thinking "what amazing experience can I get if we spend even more money!". Unfortunately the K712's have not yet given me that same feeling.

I'm wondering if there's some magic setting that needs to be on as everyone thinks they are so good.

Would different earpads upgrade the experience without loosing positioning? Is there anything else that would help me make these sound amazing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back