Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 17, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #43,996 of 48,560
Since the Mobius has a VSS, you NEVER pick the headphone options in games. That's only for people not using virtual surround solutions. So you would pick 7.1/5.1 for that game. Assuming the game has Dolby Atmos, which is its own VSS, you wouldn't select that either. For you, you can turn off the 3D on the Mobius and use Dolby Atmos, or Headphone, if you want m But if you wanna use the 3D on the Mobius, DON'T select those.

Feb 17, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #43,998 of 48,560
Since the Mobius has a VSS, you NEVER pick the headphone options in games. That's only for people not using virtual surround solutions. So you would pick 7.1/5.1 for that game. Assuming the game has Dolby Atmos, which is its own VSS, you wouldn't select that either. For you, you can turn off the 3D on the Mobius and use Dolby Atmos, or Headphone, if you want m But if you wanna use the 3D on the Mobius, DON'T select those.
Atmos is its own surround sound format like 7.1, but it requires a proprietary decoder like dolby digital on consoles. I honestly have no idea how they expect you to use it in RE2 - do you need an av receiver that supports atmos? Does it work with the dolby access app?

I have a quick question regarding usage of Audeze Mobius in certain games. For example in RE2 in Audio Options we can pick either Headphones, Dolby Atmos or 7.1/5.1 surround. Does it matter which option we pick and if yes, which one should we go for with gaming headphones such as Mobius? They are emulating the 7.1 3D surround, but at the same time they are headphones hmm...

You either use 7.1 with the virtual surround sound processing on the mobius or you select the binaural option in game to get virtual surround sound processing from the game, but you can't use both.

Feb 17, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #43,999 of 48,560
Trying to find time to mess with Hesuvi. It's a bit of a pain. Just using G6 SBX 'FPS' profile in the meantime.

I run through the steps in Hesuvi, but I want to 'Test 7.1'. All I get is 'this file type not associated with program... default programs'. If anyone knows a fix, pls let know.

On Mac and rarely mess with Windows except to get gaming running...

Not sure if I'm suppose to associate mp4, ogg with Hesuvi or a media player. Tried simple searching and nothing, but will further investigate.

Feb 18, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #44,001 of 48,560
Hello everyone. I just got the Sound BlasterX G6 to use with my xbox one x and my pc.

What sound settings should i have set on my xbox one?
Dolby Digital 5.1 through the optical out, bitstream if that's an option. I assume it's there. I haven't touched an XB1 other than setting one up in the living room.

Atmos is its own surround sound format like 7.1, but it requires a proprietary decoder like dolby digital on consoles. I honestly have no idea how they expect you to use it in RE2 - do you need an av receiver that supports atmos? Does it work with the dolby access app?
I know what Atmos is, lol. Problem is that Atmos can be either for speakers or for headphone, and I'm not sure if something uses one, it automatically means it uses the other. Like in Overwatch. Has Atmos headphone. I don't know if RE2 does.

Feb 18, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #44,002 of 48,560
The 6XX arrived, and holy smokes, I forgot just how damn good the 650 was/is. It might be slightly driver variance or bad memory, but these sound even clearer than the 650 I reviewed back in the day. And even now, I'd say people would be CRAZY to NOT go for the 6XX in the $200 range.

I think the 6XX/650 is one of those headphones anyone even remotely invested in audiophilia needs to get at least once before moving on to more expensive stuff. You may find that it's all you can ask for and more. I think these would be my #1 recommendation in the price bracket. More than the 880/990/K702/etc.

Back in the day it was in a tier above in price. NOW? Come on. These are a steal.

I know I'm someone who can't live with just one headphone, but man, if I had to, it'd be these. Koss clip ons aside.

After reading that post i decided to get myself a pair of HD6xx. Until now i was not aware they are exactly the same as HD650 but i was planning to try out Sennheiser after sticking for so long to my DT 990. Price in Europe for HD650 is around 450-500$ in my country but i found that Massdrop ships internationally and they even give out -20$ coupon on first purchase with additional -25$ deal thats currently running. That was 175$ + shipping OMG. I would be crazy to not use that opportunity.

My current setup will be DT 990, HD6xx and Audeze Mobius from now on along with Aune X7S (if it ever arrives, seller seems to be taking his sweet time) and XiFi Titanium HD. Seems like i will be covered on all fronts, Fun headphones like DT 990, high tier warm headphones like hd6xx and Mobius for gaming and some rock/metal music thanks to Planar Drives. And it's all thanks to that thread :D

Feb 18, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #44,003 of 48,560
After reading that post i decided to get myself a pair of HD6xx. Until now i was not aware they are exactly the same as HD650 but i was planning to try out Sennheiser after sticking for so long to my DT 990. Price in Europe for HD650 is around 450-500$ in my country but i found that Massdrop ships internationally and they even give out -20$ coupon on first purchase with additional -25$ deal thats currently running. That was 175$ + shipping OMG. I would be crazy to not use that opportunity.

My current setup will be DT 990, HD6xx and Audeze Mobius from now on along with Aune X7S (if it ever arrives, seller seems to be taking his sweet time) and XiFi Titanium HD. Seems like i will be covered on all fronts, Fun headphones like DT 990, high tier warm headphones like hd6xx and Mobius for gaming and some rock/metal music thanks to Planar Drives. And it's all thanks to that thread :D
Yeah, even the box on the bottom says (Model: HD650) :)

20200218_100815.jpg

It's like a polar opposite to the DT990 after the bass. Midrange forward, treble smooth, whereas the 990 is laidback midrange, sharp treble. Bass is very good on both. Nice, warm, and punchy.

As always, give them exclusive listen for some days, so you can adjust to the sound characteristics. Going back and forth from 990 to the 6xx is gonna be jarring because they are so different.

They are clampy at first so I suggest stretching the metallic extensions out over some books or something. After that, they are very comfy.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #44,004 of 48,560
yeah, the HD 650 is an alltime classic and still among the best choices you can make. Wonderful mids, ideal transition from mids to treble, highly resolving. Bass is nothing to write home about but has a good kick nevertheless. Goes down very low in my JAR edition as well. Not holding it against this headphone that it's not "up to date". It does so many other things right which many TOTL cans have yet to achieve.

Feb 18, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #44,005 of 48,560
I know what Atmos is, lol. Problem is that Atmos can be either for speakers or for headphone, and I'm not sure if something uses one, it automatically means it uses the other. Like in Overwatch. Has Atmos headphone. I don't know if RE2 does.
Atmos is surround sound analogous to dolby digital 5.1. "Atmos for headphones" is vss/hrtf/binaural analogous to dolby headphone.

Feb 19, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #44,006 of 48,560
Guys do you think its worth to upgrade from an old O2+DAC(2015) to something like a Schiit Magni heresy + Modi 3 just for gaming?

There is any significance upgrade in sound quality,soundstage and clarity or i'm wasting money ? Not intrested in simulated 5,1 etc,just pure quality stereo.

Using it mainly with Dt 1990,hd650 and AD700 :D

Thanks.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #44,007 of 48,560
Guys do you think its worth to upgrade from an old O2+DAC(2015) to something like a Schiit Magni heresy + Modi 3 just for gaming?

There is any significance upgrade in sound quality,soundstage and clarity or i'm wasting money ? Not intrested in simulated 5,1 etc,just pure quality stereo.

Using it mainly with Dt 1990,hd650.

Thanks.
The ODAC is one of my fave dacs, sound-wise if not my fave. I think if anything, upgrade that amp, which can bottleneck something like an HD650. I mean, yes, volume might be fine, but I'd always recommend getting an amp with plenty of headroom, so the amp isn't struggling. The 650 has impedance spikes over 500ohm IIRC, which makes the O2 sub-optimal. The new Magnis have a lot of power, and I'm sure would be fantastic for the 650. I like the 6xx with my Magni. I'm sure I'd love it with the new Magnis too.

The 650/6XX are known to really scale up well too. The Modi 3 is also my dac atm, and I like the fact it has multiple inputs, while the O2 is USB only IIRC.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #44,008 of 48,560
The ODAC is one of my fave dacs, sound-wise if not my fave. I think if anything, upgrade that amp, which can bottleneck something like an HD650. I mean, yes, volume might be fine, but I'd always recommend getting an amp with plenty of headroom, so the amp isn't struggling. The 650 has impedance spikes over 500ohm IIRC, which makes the O2 sub-optimal. The new Magnis have a lot of power, and I'm sure would be fantastic for the 650. I like the 6xx with my Magni. I'm sure I'd love it with the new Magnis too.

The 650/6XX are known to really scale up well too. The Modi 3 is also my dac atm, and I like the fact it has multiple inputs, while the O2 is USB only IIRC.

Thank you,really helpful! :thumbsup:

Feb 19, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #44,009 of 48,560
Also consider the Vali 2.

Feb 19, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #44,010 of 48,560

Using it mainly with Dt 1990,hd650 and AD700 :D

Thanks.
I highly doubt it would make any difference. I'm personally considering going from a musical fidelity dac and o2 to a gsx 1000, a substantial downgrade in performance, for the dsp on the gsx. Ultimately, that's what's going to make an actual appreciable difference. It is extremely unlikely that you will end up needing more power from the amp or better resolution from the dac, I can't imagine those being bottlenecks for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back