Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 7, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #42,421 of 48,561
Never mind, I still got an artifact through this though I feel it's less frequent.

I haven't touched my ps4 really in months other than for movies, so I hadn't noticed this problem before.

So you think it's g6 firmware related?

May 7, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #42,422 of 48,561
I was using Atmos tonight after having installed and uninstalled Equalizer Apo, and it actually did sound better than I remembered. I'll have to do more testing, but it sounded promising. Could have just been my mind playing tricks on me, and it's still not right, but maaaaaaybe my problem is fixed.
Awesome let us know how your like Atmos. I am so undecided on Atmos and investing into an AMP and DAC or getting a MixAMP TR PRo for ps4 and PC or G6 for Pc and PS4

thanks

May 7, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #42,423 of 48,561
Never mind, I still got an artifact through this though I feel it's less frequent.

I haven't touched my ps4 really in months other than for movies, so I hadn't noticed this problem before.

So you think it's g6 firmware related?

Are you using an external DAC and 100% volume? I know that's a very wild guess but I had artefacts with the X7 when volume was at max leading to clipping. They were different however, more nasty and unsettling.

Can you forward this to Creative?

May 7, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #42,424 of 48,561
My dac doesn't have a volume (Modi 3), and the G6's volume doesn't affect the spdif out to the Modi. Other than with the PS4 I've never head the issue with the G6. I'll send them an email to check starting from your first post with the problem.

May 7, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #42,425 of 48,561
Are you using an external DAC and 100% volume? I know that's a very wild guess but I had artefacts with the X7 when volume was at max leading to clipping. They were different however, more nasty and unsettling.

Can you forward this to Creative?

My dac doesn't have a volume (Modi 3), and the G6's volume doesn't affect the spdif out to the Modi. Other than with the PS4 I've never head the issue with the G6. I'll send them an email to check starting from your first post with the problem.

Not sure how much my input will help in this, but I go PS4 -> AVR (via HDMI) -> G6 (via Optical) and occasionally I will hear the robotic/digital static. Firmware updates have seemed to reduce it, but it still pops up from time to time. I notice it on RDR2 on occasion, and it will even occasionally happen when watching Netflix. But I don't think the frequency of it is as high as you guys are talking about, so not sure if it's the same thing or not.

May 7, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #42,426 of 48,561
@Fegefeuer can you test directly with the headphone connected to the G6 directly? Just to weed out whether it's a problem you're having with the ps4 sending optical to the g6, or whether it's a problem with the G6 sending the ps4's signal to the optical out to another device. I don't have time to test atm.

May 7, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #42,427 of 48,561
because the surround sound to binaural conversion will raise volume, as Fegefeuer was saying, you want to maybe keep the volume on the ps4 lower to prevent the peak volume from exceeding the maximum limit.

May 7, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #42,428 of 48,561
How would I be able to lower the volume though? You can't lower the PS4 output, nor the G6's optical out. Perhaps the PS4 is exceeding the input threshold of the G6, but there's no way to address that. Unless we're talking lowering the in game volume... which by the sounds of it, is exactly what you mean, and I'm overthinking it like an idiot. I'll give that a try when I get the chance. I tend to forget games have their own in game volumes. Thing being that it happens even during quiet parts.

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #42,429 of 48,561
I set the SPDIF IN Volume to 80% and played about 2 hours via the GumBy and no artefacts at all. None.

May 8, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #42,430 of 48,561
So sounds like it was the signal voltage exceeding input threshold. I didn't get to test that with ingame volume.

May 10, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #42,431 of 48,561
Am I getting this right.
PS4 SLIM(no optical) supports 7.1 output only with sony gold and platinum headsets right? All other usb based headsets only receive 2.0 signal and upscalse it to fake 7.1 vss.
Only Sony gold and platinum receie 7.1 and do their own 3d or vss dsp ?
The only way to get real 7.1 virtual surround (not upscaled from stereo source) is to use optical out.

I am basing all this information on this arcticle:
https://medium.com/the-cube/sonys-ps4-headphone-surround-sound-tax-5504cbda9bdf

It means that I only have 2 options for my ps4 slim. Either new sony GOLD(without hinges) or Platinum. Anyone have opinions on those?

May 10, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #42,432 of 48,561
Does your TV have an optical out? You could send Dolby Digital over HDMI to your TV and from there "forward" it to whatever device fits your needs, BlasterX G6, Mixamp, Philips SU1502 etc..

May 10, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #42,434 of 48,561
Does your TV have an optical out? You could send Dolby Digital over HDMI to your TV and from there "forward" it to whatever device fits your needs, BlasterX G6, Mixamp, Philips SU1502 etc..

Be sure to check if the TV's optical out is 5.1 or not. Some TV's only output stereo 2.0.

May 10, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #42,435 of 48,561
Am I getting this right.
PS4 SLIM(no optical) supports 7.1 output only with sony gold and platinum headsets right? All other usb based headsets only receive 2.0 signal and upscalse it to fake 7.1 vss.
Only Sony gold and platinum receie 7.1 and do their own 3d or vss dsp ?
The only way to get real 7.1 virtual surround (not upscaled from stereo source) is to use optical out.

I am basing all this information on this arcticle:
https://medium.com/the-cube/sonys-ps4-headphone-surround-sound-tax-5504cbda9bdf

It means that I only have 2 options for my ps4 slim. Either new sony GOLD(without hinges) or Platinum. Anyone have opinions on those?
You can also use Tritton Katana (that uses hdmi input) or use an hdmi extractor to extract dolby digital signal from hdmi and send it to optical

Users who are viewing this thread

Back