Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 10, 2020 at 7:11 AM Post #43,966 of 48,562
Not really. I'm constantly adjusting volume, so it wouldn't bother me.

Feb 10, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #43,968 of 48,562
Not really. I'm constantly adjusting volume, so it wouldn't bother me.
Found the culprit. Inside my dolby access app, the profile is set to “Movie” instead of “Gaming”, and for whatever reason, the volume in “Movie” profile is significantly higher than “Gaming” one. Switching back to Gaming fixes it.

Edit: The reason “Movie” mode has higher volume than “Gaming” mode is because of volume leveler, which is another switch inside dolby access app.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #43,969 of 48,562
Because I want console capability too (has to be USB, ps4 slim) I will be getting the Creative G6 and wanted to get the AKG K612. Can the G6 easily drive the 612 or would the 702 be better ?
If you're not using optical, you might as well save money and just get the G5... optical is required to send Dolby to the G6.
Other than the Dolby decoding over optical, both Creative models are identical, and will drive a K612 just fine.

FYI, PS4 only sends surround signals over Optical or HDMI. If a game has it's own binaural headphone processing mode built-in (like Naughty Dog games, some DICE games, Overwatch), then the "surround" processing is already done and you'd be able to hear it over USB. I'm hoping the next generation of consoles and accessory devices remedy this, but until then I would rather have an original PS4 or PS4 pro instead of the PS4 Slim specifically because of the optical port. I'm not trying to be a downer... just don't want you to be surprised.

Feb 11, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #43,970 of 48,562
Got a care package today with Audeze's cryo pads for the Mobius. Instantly reminded why I liked the Mobius so much. It's just a damn good sounding headphone. After about 30 minutes, the cryo pads feel great, though I never had a real problem with the stock pads either. This might be a hard comparison. The Mobius has one of the very best stock faux leather pads I've felt, which is saying a lot for someone like me that doesn't like faux leather pads in general. The cryo pads are also a winner, so really, I dunno how I'm gonna do this, lol.

If and when I do, I will be updating the Mobius review with statements o nthe cryo pads and how the hold up to the stock pads, and whether I feel anything sounds different.

ALso received a final version of the LCD-1 with 'fixed' cable inputs, which were a bit loose and would disconnect way too easily on the review unit. I haven't taken them out yet, so they too will get a sort of updated review.

edit: LCD-1 cable entry connection is definitely way better than review version.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #43,971 of 48,562
Received my LCD-GX today, have about 2 hours listening time with music on them now. No movies or games yet.
Man, this thing can easily double as a “high-end” headphone, I really like the sound signature with music, not as dark as the LCD-3 and LCD-XC I knew.

I think I will replace those pleather pads with real leather ones though and get me a longer cotton sleeved cabled, not so fond of that plastic braided one and it’s too short anyway.
But those are little annoyances that can be solved, the sound is what is important and I really like it.

Feb 11, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #43,972 of 48,562
Man it's amazing how one's listening mood can improve when you're not worried about the cable slipping off. The LCD-1 is DEFINITELY one of the top the neutral headphones I'd buy at the price range. Massively underrated IMHO.

At $400, it's definitely the only headphone I can think of I'd get at that range. As nice as the Mobius and Panda are, the LCD-1 is... yeah, it's the one. Granted, both the other two are much more versatile, but for sound, the LCD-1... oh yeah.

Received my LCD-GX today, have about 2 hours listening time with music on them now. No movies or games yet.
Man, this thing can easily double as a “high-end” headphone, I really like the sound signature with music, not as dark as the LCD-3 and LCD-XC I knew.

I think I will replace those pleather pads with real leather ones though and get me a longer cotton sleeved cabled, not so fond of that plastic braided one and it’s too short anyway.
But those are little annoyances that can be solved, the sound is what is important and I really like it.
Man, if I had the GX, first thing I'd buy myself would be the suede pads from Dekoni. Just as isolating as the leather/pleather, but with the fabric comfort I'd want. I wish Audeze would've let me keep them long enough to test those pads out too. Though of course, I'd have to ask Dekoni too. LOL.

Also, out of all the headphones I'd want... the Audeze GX + Dekoni suede pads is actually my number 1 want atm.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #43,974 of 48,562
LCD-X vs. LCD-1? Really interested in your opinions as you seem to like it better than the Panda.
I haven't heard the LCD-X. But one thing keeps me from being like "yeah, i'd definitely go for it". It's the weight. The LCD-X is one big bertha. I think the GX is as low as about as much as I'd want in terms of weight, today.

The LCD-1 is suuuuuuper light. Like really, it's quite noticeable. That really helps long term comfort.

As for LCD-1 vs GX... ehh... it's very different. I think the LCD-1 falls outside what I'd associate with the LCD sound, and feels like a reference headphone in terms of how it produces sound. The LCD-GX as well as the LCD-2 and Mobius, share a trait that feel very Audeze, and is special in its own way. Not necessarily better, just different. So I can definitely say that if you want to experience AUDEZE, I'd get the Mobius or GX. But in terms of accuracy, I think the LCD-1 wins. It just sounds like its suuuuuper accurate, while the others are more fun, and different, and unique.

As for Panda vs LCD-1, the LCD-1 sounds clearer, is open backed so the soundstaging is better, and sounds higher fidelity to my ears. It may come down to the fact it's open vs closed, and the Panda having a bit of bass bloom which the LCD-1 does not suffer from. Really, they're both excellent, but different enough where its not a fair comparison. Open vs closed is a very bad comparison point to begin with.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #43,975 of 48,562
I haven't heard the LCD-X. But one thing keeps me from being like "yeah, i'd definitely go for it". It's the weight. The LCD-X is one big bertha. I think the GX is as low as about as much as I'd want in terms of weight, today.

The LCD-1 is suuuuuuper light. Like really, it's quite noticeable. That really helps long term comfort.

As for LCD-1 vs GX... ehh... it's very different. I think the LCD-1 falls outside what I'd associate with the LCD sound, and feels like a reference headphone in terms of how it produces sound. The LCD-GX as well as the LCD-2 and Mobius, share a trait that feel very Audeze, and is special in its own way. Not necessarily better, just different. So I can definitely say that if you want to experience AUDEZE, I'd get the Mobius or GX. But in terms of accuracy, I think the LCD-1 wins. It just sounds like its suuuuuper accurate, while the others are more fun, and different, and unique.

As for Panda vs LCD-1, the LCD-1 sounds clearer, is open backed so the soundstaging is better, and sounds higher fidelity to my ears. It may come down to the fact it's open vs closed, and the Panda having a bit of bass bloom which the LCD-1 does not suffer from. Really, they're both excellent, but different enough where its not a fair comparison.

Sorry, I meant GX of course, I just edited my typo.
Thanks for your impressions. You nearly made me cancel the Panda with your previous post but you just reminded me that it's closed. :wink:
And bluetooth is handy as well although I don't mind a cable. But I needed a closed one in that category.

Feb 11, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #43,976 of 48,562
Sorry, I meant GX of course, I just edited my typo.
Thanks for your impressions. You nearly made me cancel the Panda with your previous post but you just reminded me that it's closed. :wink:
And bluetooth is handy as well although I don't mind a cable. But I needed a closed one in that category.
Certainly. I should point out that I'm not really someone in need of a closed headphone. If I was... I would absolutely steer towards something like the Panda. It's fantastic. Kills at least two birds with one stone. Wired and bluetooth. Though it needs to be said the Mobius is also fantastic. Just... I'd say the Panda edges it out for me due to it being passive in wired mode, while the Mobius always needs to be on, even while wired. That makes the Panda just a bit more usable for me specifically, though it lacks a lot of the other features that the Mobius has like headtracking, vss, eq presets, etc. The Mobius is more fully featured, for sure, and if you weren't worried about wired connectioin to use with your own gear, the Mobius is hard to pass up.

Raw Sq-wise, the Panda's sound quality is better. But the Mobius has that Audeze sound I really like. Really, it's a game of apples vs oranges.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #43,977 of 48,562
Hey guys, long time lurker here. I've got a question, maybe someone could help me with.

I just bought a pair of Sendy Aivas (which I'm loving) and I've also got some Fidelio X2s. I'm using a Sound Blaster G6 to get some good VSS while gaming, and for now I'm plugging the headphones straight into the G6, which has sufficient power. In your opinion, would I benefit from adding an amp to the setup (to the G6 line out)? I read that planars like the Aiva sound better when paired with an amp with increased voltages.

If you think that it would be worth it, which amp would you recommend? I saw another poster suggesting that the Loxjie P20 pairs well with the Aiva, but I was also looking at a few others (Schiit Magni, JDS Labs Atom, SMSL SP200).

Thanks!

Feb 12, 2020 at 5:18 AM Post #43,978 of 48,562
If you're not using optical, you might as well save money and just get the G5... optical is required to send Dolby to the G6.
Other than the Dolby decoding over optical, both Creative models are identical, and will drive a K612 just fine.

FYI, PS4 only sends surround signals over Optical or HDMI. If a game has it's own binaural headphone processing mode built-in (like Naughty Dog games, some DICE games, Overwatch), then the "surround" processing is already done and you'd be able to hear it over USB. I'm hoping the next generation of consoles and accessory devices remedy this, but until then I would rather have an original PS4 or PS4 pro instead of the PS4 Slim specifically because of the optical port. I'm not trying to be a downer... just don't want you to be surprised.

Thanks for the comment.

I honestly do not really care much for surround sound, aslong I can drive the headphones + a mic and have good audio quality like that. I have the HyperX cloud II at the moment and only use them in stereo anyway.

Gotta ask tho: Doesn't the G6 have a much much better DAC and AMP? Wouldn't that be a better fit for very fierce headphones like the AKG-line up?

Feb 12, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #43,979 of 48,562
Thanks for the comment.
I honestly do not really care much for surround sound, aslong I can drive the headphones + a mic and have good audio quality like that. I have the HyperX cloud II at the moment and only use them in stereo anyway.

Gotta ask tho: Doesn't the G6 have a much much better DAC and AMP? Wouldn't that be a better fit for very fierce headphones like the AKG-line up?
Now you've got me questioning myself... the Soundblaster E5, G5, and G6 all share the same enclosure, and the E5 and G5 had the same DAC and amp inside (but the E5 had a battery, bluetooth, and a second headphone output instead of the mic input on the "front"), but it's possible the G6 has a different DAC and amp. The G6 is one I've never tried in person, but those on this thread have made several positive posts about it. If it is better or not, I will say that even the G5 was good enough for the AKG K612 and K712, and I was quite pleased with the G5 + Sennheiser PC37X for a pretty "smooth" signal chain for streaming. The G6 could only be the same or better.

To this day, I don't know why Creative didn't work to integrate USB for chat with the Sound Blaster X7 and PS4 in the way that they did for the G5 and G6, but at least it readied me for my current setup... I didn't realize how good the PS4 Camera's mic was (at desktop distance) until I tried it with the X7, so now that I have the Smyth Realiser A16 (which gets 7.1 from HDMI), I use the camera again as my mic.

If you say you don't care much for surround... I believe you, but I also believe strongly that you haven't heard good binaural audio (headphone surround) yet. Regular stereo is like everything is placed on a 1 dimensional line between your ears "inside your head," which is different from how we are used to hearing sounds in real life placed around us. 7.1 Surround speakers is more realistic, because instead of a 1D line going through your head, you can perceive sounds to come from essentially a 2D "ring" around and out from you, like real life, except speakers are more expensive than headphones to get the same quality and detail, and they have to be placed in a room with ideal acoustics to "disappear" and sound "transparent" to a realistic scene. Dolby Atmos and DTS-X are better, but IMO Binaural audio has the potential to be the ultimate. Imagine, instead of 7 or 12 spots, sound could seem to emanate from any direction, including above and below, and you don't have to worry about room acoustics or size because the processing (DSP) can recreate the perfect timbre of what a sound sounds like by the time it is reaches your ear from inside a room our outside in the open. Everything sounds more natural because it sounds the way we are used to hearing in real life, except it is able to transport us to these fantasies (games, movies, concerts).

Binaural audio is the result of taking 5.1, 7.1, "object oriented" surround, and using headphone virtual surround sound processing on it, or it's the result of using specially designed binaural or VR microphones to record something "live." The more dimensional info you feed it, the better and more realistic.

But if all you want is gaming with 1D stereo, then you've got tons of options. Creative E5, G5, G6 are all good options. So is the FiiO E10k, Schiit Hel, and many of their other DAC/amps. Most DAC/Amps that don't require a driver install work well with the PS4... I can't tell you why the Sony ZX300A isn't recognized by the Sony PS4, but I assume it's a driver issue :laughing:

Feb 12, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #43,980 of 48,562
Im using Hyper Cloud X headphones with my Xbox One X. What's a good amp that will give me a little oomph but still be able to use voice chat? When playing The Division 2 with a buddy the audio is low. Would the new Fulla 3 be a good option?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back