Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 8, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #43,442 of 48,562
The proglem i have is sombody else is buying them for me and i know they will only buy from amazon or ebay
Ah, ok. Fair enough. In that case, in order of recommendation:

1. AKG K702

2. GSP 500

3. Sennheiser PC373D as recommended by WhiteHartMart or anything other than the PC360 unless the non-detachable nature of the cable and risk of damage is really no issue for you.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #43,443 of 48,562
so the pc 373d i was looking at but that has 7.1 souround sound built in but i want my mixamp to use its dolby headphones
So if i bought the pc 373d am i just paying for the souround sound or are they good as well
As these headsets i know nothing about

Dec 8, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #43,444 of 48,562
so the pc 373d i was looking at but that has 7.1 souround sound built in but i want my mixamp to use its dolby headphones
So if i bought the pc 373d am i just paying for the souround sound or are they good as well
As these headsets i know nothing about
The Dolby Headphone surround dongle that comes with the 373D is only compatible with PC (it's essentially the unit's own little USB dac/amp) so you would still be reliant on your Astro Mixamp for Virtual surround from the PS4. You should still be able to use the 373D as a standard pair of 3.5mm jack stereo headphones though.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #43,447 of 48,562
Ok i just added these to my list of what to buy
Dt900 pro
Akg 702
ad700x as ad700 i cant buy any where it seems
gsp 500
These headphones will be used for soundwhoring i only want to be able to tell exactly where enemies are
I will use it on my ps4 with my astro mixamp pro tr
i will only be using them for call of duty mw19 nothing else btw i have a boom mic already
Sorry to keep changing the list

I can go up to 150 pounds
If you wanna recomend somthing better please do
From amazon or ebay

Dec 8, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #43,448 of 48,562
Ok i just added these to my list of what to buy
Dt900 pro
Akg 702
ad700x as ad700 i cant buy any where it seems
gsp 500
These headphones will be used for soundwhoring i only want to be able to tell exactly where enemies are
I will use it on my ps4 with my astro mixamp pro tr
i will only be using them for call of duty mw19 nothing else btw i have a boom mic already
Sorry to keep changing the list

I can go up to 150 pounds
If you wanna recomend somthing better please do
From amazon or ebay
K702 then if you already have a boom mic.

- The GSP500 has a mic which you don't need.

- The ad700x does not have a detachable cable and is not sufficiently different from the K702 to offset that.

- The DT990 Pro Premium does not have a detachable cable, but it at least has a coiled one to mitigate the risk of damage through yanking. The non-Pro version (just called the "DT990 Pro Edition") has a non-detachable straight cable.
You would need to choose the 32ohm version so your Mixamp Pro can drive it properly. *But*, in any case, while the DT990s are an excellent set of all-rounder cans for gaming (which I would have no problem recommending to someone who wanted to sound-whore *in addition* to enjoying non-competitive gaming and multimedia entertainment), it's a considerably bassier headphone than your other candidates and so will be less ideally suited for your specific COD Soundwhoring-only use case.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #43,450 of 48,562
Thanks again
I actually thought you was recomend ad700x first
I know in the past ad700 was great for soundwhoring
Well, it depends on whether the Mixamp Pro can drive the K702 but I reckon there's enough chance that it might so I recommend trying them out from Amazon. If they're no good for you then just return them and go for the GSP500.

While the AD700X is indeed great for soundwhoring (and likely a bit better than the GSP500 in that regard), again, the AD700X cable is non-detachable so I wouldn't recommend it over the GSP500 if risk of damage (and remedial options in event of damage) are at all a concern for you.

Dec 8, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #43,452 of 48,562
@xxxkinel I'd stay away from the AD700X for MW, I bought them after seeing so many recommendations how they're the best for sound whoring footsteps but had the complete opposite experience in MW. The soundstage is large so things (footsteps) will sound further away, I lost count how many times people were moving close to me but I didn't even hear them. I was using them with the mixamp tr as well, tried all the different EQ's but none helped. The sound didn't have good separation, it felt all thrown at me at once so I couldn't really hear footsteps while there was other stuff happening around me.

I don't have any experience with any of the other headphones mentioned so I cant really comment on them. I ended up purchasing the DT770 pros and have tweaked the EQ a little and feel like I'm cheating with the way I've been able to pinpoint people's movement.

Dec 8, 2019 at 7:41 PM Post #43,453 of 48,562
Johhytran ive spoken to you before a few weeks ago in another topic but
please please tell us your eq settings your using for cod mw
I think your using another eq but still please post your settings
I might be able to put those frequncies into my mixamp pro tr
Ile look at the headset you mentioned as well
Btw johhntran what 0hm did you purchase
Thanks all i love this forum

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #43,454 of 48,562
@xxxkinel I'd stay away from the AD700X for MW, I bought them after seeing so many recommendations how they're the best for sound whoring footsteps but had the complete opposite experience in MW. The soundstage is large so things (footsteps) will sound further away, I lost count how many times people were moving close to me but I didn't even hear them. I was using them with the mixamp tr as well, tried all the different EQ's but none helped. The sound didn't have good separation, it felt all thrown at me at once so I couldn't really hear footsteps while there was other stuff happening around me.

I don't have any experience with any of the other headphones mentioned so I cant really comment on them. I ended up purchasing the DT770 pros and have tweaked the EQ a little and feel like I'm cheating with the way I've been able to pinpoint people's movement.

My experience with the Audio Technica AD line for soundwhoring has generally been very good but the above impression from JohhnyTran does echo a recent post by another user, Ronfifer, regarding the AD900X, the step-up sibling of the AD700X (albeit using onboard sound with Windows Sonic for VSS rather than Dolby Headphone via the Mixamp TR):
FPS Gamers, here are my results. My 3 headphones, k702, HE4XX, and AD900x have arrived. Please note that I am running them without an amp yet out of my laptop's built-in audio chip.

Game: Battlefield 1
Windows Sonic for headphones: ON
In-game settings: Headphones, Surround
No external AMP/DAC in this test

1. Imaging Short Range: K702 = AD900x = HE4XX
2. Imaging Long Range: K702 > AD900x > HE4XX
3. Separation of sounds: K702>HE4XX>AD900x. K702 has the cleanest distinction of sounds. AD900X throws all sounds at you in one lumped up package; sounds like a dirty mess.
4. Sound Stage: K702=AD900x > HE4XX. The AD900x has a hollow sounding stage, you can hear the air, hear echo, hear the emptiness, not clean.
5. Sound of my gun: Loudest and most immersive on AD900x, balanced on K702, acceptable on HE4XX.
6. Sound of footsteps: In BF1 is very low on HE4XX, not competitive, makes me lose. Will an amp improve it or should i use EQ to better hear footsteps (which frequency?)

K702 is clear winner without any amp. Wallhack can.

I've also heard at least one further user claim that the K702 has more articulate imaging than the AD700X.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #43,455 of 48,562
Johhytran ive spoken to you before a few weeks ago in another topic but
please please tell us your eq settings your using for cod mw
I think your using another eq but still please post your settings
I might be able to put those frequncies into my mixamp pro tr
Ile look at the headset you mentioned as well
Btw johhntran what 0hm did you purchase
Thanks all i love this forum

I don't know how to transfer them into the mixamp's software but all I did was lower the 31-62Hz and bumped up the 2-4KHz frequencies a little

Users who are viewing this thread

Back