Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 20, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #106 of 48,561
Quote:
Does dolby headphone sound better than stereo?  Absolutely not.  Does it provide better positional audio.  Probably.  

Any time you subject your audio to some sort of equalizer or digital processing it degrades from the original source.  I use my soundcard in audio creation mode even when I'm gaming, and I refuse to use CMSS3d because it sounds horrible.  

Well I think by quality in the competitive sense, positional accuracy trumps stereo reproduction and clarity anyday... I wouldn't be surprised if you were the only one in this thread who isn't using Dolby Headphone. If it means anything to you, the Mixamp sounds nothing like the CMSS3d you mentioned.

Jan 20, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #107 of 48,561
Yeah, I noticed my AX720s, which are strictly for the xbox (Cheaper than the mixamp, and it's the whole shebang) sound so much different than CMSS3D. As much as I love CMSS3D for its superb accuracy, DH just seems to be more fun to listen to. Like it went from playing the game, to being in a movie like replication of the game in real life... If that makes any sense.

Jan 20, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #109 of 48,561
I'm sure your wallet does too, but you won't once it arrives!
wink_face.gif

Jan 20, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #110 of 48,561
Can any pls tell me how good the Siberia V2's are? ty

Jan 20, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #111 of 48,561

Quote:
Do you use your PRO 900's with Dolby Headphone?  I tried DH with mine, but the results were inconsistent and not as precise as straight stereo.  I've only tried it with a couple of PC fps (Bad Company 2 and Team Fortress 2), but I wasn't impressed with the precision of the sound stage/placement.  I chalked it up to the offset drivers, but others have reported positive results with the pairing.  I'm just curious what your experience (and that of others) has been with the pairing.

I played a game of L4D2 last night with my Pro900s and DH off and output set to stereo. I didn't like it at all! After a couple of minutes I had to switch it back to 8ch + DH.

I felt like I had completely lost my directional awareness in stereo mode!

Jan 20, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #112 of 48,561
Quote:
Do you use your PRO 900's with Dolby Headphone?  I tried DH with mine, but the results were inconsistent and not as precise as straight stereo.  I've only tried it with a couple of PC fps (Bad Company 2 and Team Fortress 2), but I wasn't impressed with the precision of the sound stage/placement.  I chalked it up to the offset drivers, but others have reported positive results with the pairing.  I'm just curious what your experience (and that of others) has been with the pairing.

I use them with the Astro Mixamp, and the results are phenominal. If anything the offset drivers work in favor of this combo. Sure it lacks the airiness of an open headphone, but all the space is there. I think it highly depends on what kind of virtual surround you are using; I have heard terrible things about a lot of PC virtual surround but I think it completely depends on the sound card. My sound card isn't that great so I just use the Mixamp for everything, and it does an excellent job.

Jan 20, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #113 of 48,561
I was looking at getting the Mixamp as well, but my wife bought me the Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS for Christmas (it was in my Amazon wish list :p ) and I have been pleasantly surprised with the audio from this thing.  I have used it with my PS3 and I just hooked it up to the optical out on my Auzentech Forte and enabled DD Live in the settings and it actually sounds good.  I get a great sense of a surround-sound type space when using it.  I actually switch between that and CMSS3D and I don't know which I like better at this point.  It's quite good.

My setup is as follows:

Auzentech Forte Digital Out (DD Live) --> Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS --> RCA splitter --> Matrix M-Stage --> Beyer DT880/600s

Just thought I would throw my two cents in for those looking for a somewhat cheaper alternative to the mixamp. 

Jan 20, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #114 of 48,561
I'm trying to figure out if theres a way to use a mic on the xbox 360 with the ear force DSS, I got my Creative Aurvana Live headphones today and so far my only option is to strap the xbox 360 one around my neck, it's fine but wouldn't mind modding a mic onto the side of the headphones or something and getting it going, I know you can with the mixamp but I went the cheaper route lol.

As for the headphones, I think they are great imo, I finished top of the table like 10 - 15 times (HC S&D) so there doing something right, can hear footsteps well and know where the are 100% of the time.

My AD700 Bstocks just got posted there, so will get them tomorrow, can't wait to try them out!

Jan 20, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #115 of 48,561
The only headsets that will allow voice chat on the DSS are the Turtle Beach headsets.

For everything else, you're screwed unless you buy the Steelseries Spectrum Audio Mixer.

http://steelseries.com/products/consoles/steelseries-spectrum-audio-mixer-xb

For the price of the DSS and the Audio Mixer, you could've just gotten the Mixamp or AX720. The DSS + Audio Mixer is a cluttered mess.

Jan 20, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #116 of 48,561

stereo is still way to go. if ever listen to speakers with great soundstage and imagery you'll personally think ''Why was HT ever created?'' and feel it was a gimmick from the get-go. stereo imagery is still best way to detect exact precision of sound cues. even playing in stereo on my speakers with no type of digital processing like fear 2 for example. i can hear the each shell that pops out the gun hit the floor behind me and bounce with exact precision or enemy in the distance behind a wall to my left. i can even hear a helicopter past by my head in stereo as well. also if you play games with lot of environmental sounds like BFBC2 or LP2 it can be exciting to be able to hear mosquitoes pass by your ear or a bird chirping in the distance behind you.

Yes,what i just described is all stereo. 2-channels that is processing soundfield  in full 360 degrees. same goes for headphones.
Quote:
Quote:
Your information is appreciated. I find it strange though that the person concerned about the best possible audio and video quality is the same person who is "perfectly fine" gaming competitively in stereo? Or am I mistaken?

Jan 20, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #117 of 48,561
Disagree wholeheartedly. Stereo doesn't come close to the kind of directional cues DH/HT gives. Sure you get easier right/left, but front and back are nowhere near... it's not even close... but to each their own.

Jan 20, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #118 of 48,561
Quote:
RexAeterna said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

stereo is still way to go. if ever listen to speakers with great soundstage and imagery you'll personally think ''Why was HT ever created?'' and feel it was a gimmick from the get-go. stereo imagery is still best way to detect exact precision of sound cues. even playing in stereo on my speakers with no type of digital processing like fear 2 for example. i can hear the each shell that pops out the gun hit the floor behind me and bounce with exact precision or enemy in the distance behind a wall to my left. i can even hear a helicopter past by my head in stereo as well. also if you play games with lot of environmental sounds like BFBC2 or LP2 it can be exciting to be able to hear mosquitoes pass by your ear or a bird chirping in the distance behind you.

Yes,what i just described is all stereo. 2-channels that is processing soundfield  in full 360 degrees. same goes for headphones.

Um... You do realize this whole thread is based on Dolby Headphone? Have you even tried a good virtual surround setup? All the information in this thread; especially MLE's impressions is based on how well these headphones synergize with Dolby Headphone; the experience is not at all the same as stereo.

Seriously guys, this is something you have to try before making all your claims to stereo gaming...

Jan 20, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #119 of 48,561

you are still in time for returning them :p and then get a mixamp hehehe :p

Quote:
I was looking at getting the Mixamp as well, but my wife bought me the Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS for Christmas (it was in my Amazon wish list :p ) and I have been pleasantly surprised with the audio from this thing.  I have used it with my PS3 and I just hooked it up to the optical out on my Auzentech Forte and enabled DD Live in the settings and it actually sounds good.  I get a great sense of a surround-sound type space when using it.  I actually switch between that and CMSS3D and I don't know which I like better at this point.  It's quite good.

Jan 20, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #120 of 48,561

i knew that. i was just responding to what you wrote asking about when it comes to gaming why do people use stereo still for gaming. i must of read it wrong and i apologize. i have myself used Direct sound,doby headphone,dobly pro-logic and creative's EAX. i just find plain analog stereo works just as well.
Quote:
Quote:

Um... You do realize this whole thread is based on Dolby Headphone? Have you even tried a good virtual surround setup? All the information in this thread; especially MLE's impressions is based on how well these headphones synergize with Dolby Headphone; the experience is not at all the same as stereo.

Seriously guys, this is something you have to try before making all your claims to stereo gaming...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back