Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 13, 2020 at 2:24 AM Post #43,981 of 48,561
Now you've got me questioning myself... the Soundblaster E5, G5, and G6 all share the same enclosure, and the E5 and G5 had the same DAC and amp inside (but the E5 had a battery, bluetooth, and a second headphone output instead of the mic input on the "front"), but it's possible the G6 has a different DAC and amp. The G6 is one I've never tried in person, but those on this thread have made several positive posts about it. If it is better or not, I will say that even the G5 was good enough for the AKG K612 and K712, and I was quite pleased with the G5 + Sennheiser PC37X for a pretty "smooth" signal chain for streaming. The G6 could only be the same or better.
The G6 has the CM43131 DAC (130dB part), and their Xamp design for the amplifier, aka a discrete channel amp, like the AE-5.

Feb 13, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #43,982 of 48,561
Man, if I had the GX, first thing I'd buy myself would be the suede pads from Dekoni

I bought the GX in January as a bit of an impulse. I've only ever used velour pads on my other headphones and the pleather on the GX is sadly not to my taste. I didn't really think too much about changing the pads, so now you have me thinking!!!!! Hmmm... Suede or velour I wonder.

Feb 14, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #43,983 of 48,561
I bought the GX in January as a bit of an impulse. I've only ever used velour pads on my other headphones and the pleather on the GX is sadly not to my taste. I didn't really think too much about changing the pads, so now you have me thinking!!!!! Hmmm... Suede or velour I wonder.
I'd go for Suede or Hybrid because all velour is not good for headphones that use pads that seal. LCD headphones use pads that don't let sound escape through the pads, so yeah, don't get velour. The suede they use still has memory foam and should work like stock pads that seal. Hybrids are basically pleather but the area that touched the skin is velour, so that is worth looking into as well.

Feb 14, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #43,986 of 48,561
What IS double amping?
Many people don’t realize this, but the Analog section of a Digital to Analog Converter (DAC) actually is an amplifier of sorts, with a fixed output setting. This is why, for example, upgrading the OpAmps in a Creative Sound Blaster X7 benefits the headphone output AND the RCA “Line Out” on the back.

So, technically, any time you connect a stand-alone amp to a stand-alone DAC, you’re “double amping,” and you’re only “hurting” the sound fidelity if your amp is noticeably worse than the Analog section of the DAC in some way... for example, if the amp has a potentiometer to control and lower the volume from max.

Why am I mentioning this?
If you’re using a DAC/amp with a digital volume control, such as the Sennheiser GSX1000, you can potentially connect a discrete amp to the headphone jack without degrading the fidelity to a noticeable extent, and enjoy the benefit of a surround DSP + a higher power amp + harder to drive headphone. I frequently used my GSX 1000 that way, and I would endorse it to others to try.
Thanks for chiming in on this.

I’d appreciate your insight on the following questions:

1. Aside from deterioration of fidelity (whether noticeable or not) is there any risk to the headphones from double amping in this manner? If so, what precautions should be taken?

2. If I were to double amp my phones from SXFI AMP out to one of my discrete amps (Massdrop THX or Loxjie P20), what would be the correct method of volume control? Based on my limited understanding of pre-ampimg, I assume it would be to fix the volume of the endpoint discrete amp to max and adjust/control the volume of the SXFI AMP feeding it?

Many thanks

Feb 16, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #43,987 of 48,561
Looking for an "endgame" closed-back headphone that will strictly be used for competitive gaming. Really looking for great imaging and no muddying of sound when a ton of blasts and explosions are happening.

Which would be considered the best? Currently looking at these:

A2000z
Beyer T5P
Ether C Flow 1.1
Ether CX
Aeon 2 C
NDH20
Focal Elegia

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #43,988 of 48,561
Hello there!

I'm looking on either DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm or the ATH AD900X, i'll be using them mainly for FPS games (CS:GO, COD : MW, Apex Legends, R6) and open world games (RDR 2, Kingdom Comes Deliverance)(so i need immersion as well) and music (rock, pop, punk, folk). Will be using them with a FiiO K3.

I'm looking for some bass but i'm no bassheads ( i just don't want it to sound dull when i switch up to other genres). Right now i'm kinda leaning towards the AD900X but have i'm having second thoughts as there are many reviews going both ways.

I want to know if the AD900X sounds great when playing open world games? Because all i've ever read about the reviews are on FPS games, but i want to know how it sounds casually. (One of the reasons i'm considering the AD900X is it is more well rounded than the AD700X and have a better positional cues than the DT 990)

Anyhow, Thanks!

Feb 16, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #43,989 of 48,561
I want to know if the AD900X sounds great when playing open world games? Because all i've ever read about the reviews are on FPS games, but i want to know how it sounds casually. (One of the reasons i'm considering the AD900X is it is more well rounded than the AD700X and have a better positional cues than the DT 990)

I own the AD700 and AD900X. I would agree that the AD900X are slightly more "well rounded" as they have slightly more bass than the 700's. Although, I still prefered using the AD700's. I haven't heard the DT 990's but have owned the MMX300, which are based off the DT 770s, and those were the most fun, immersive headphones I've ever owned.

Feb 17, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #43,990 of 48,561
Hello there!

I'm looking on either DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm or the ATH AD900X, i'll be using them mainly for FPS games (CS:GO, COD : MW, Apex Legends, R6) and open world games (RDR 2, Kingdom Comes Deliverance)(so i need immersion as well) and music (rock, pop, punk, folk). Will be using them with a FiiO K3.

I'm looking for some bass but i'm no bassheads ( i just don't want it to sound dull when i switch up to other genres). Right now i'm kinda leaning towards the AD900X but have i'm having second thoughts as there are many reviews going both ways.

Anyhow, Thanks!
I don’t have experience with the DT990s but do with the AD900X. It’s good for open world in that its open and airy soundstage lends itself well to ambient environmental sounds. However, you’ll probably find it a bit bass-lite without EQ or some kind of bass enhancement processing.

You might want to consider the ATH-ADG1X instead. It is Audio Technica’s gaming version of the AD900X. It has a built-in mic and sounds like it’s tuned for more bass than the AD900X. It’s definitely not what most people would class as "bassy" but it should have enough for your preferences and at 48ohms impedance, it should be much easier to drive than the 250 Ohm Beyers.

https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/96eeada29d21f735/index.html

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #43,991 of 48,561
I don’t have experience with the DT990s but do with the AD900X. It’s good for open world in that its open and airy soundstage lends itself well to ambient environmental sounds. However, you’ll probably find it a bit bass-lite without EQ or some kind of bass enhancement processing.

You might want to consider the ATH-ADG1X instead. It is Audio Technica’s gaming version of the AD900X. It has a built-in mic and sounds like it’s tuned for more bass than the AD900X. It’s definitely not what most people would class as "bassy" but it should have enough for your preferences and at 48ohms impedance, it should be much easier to drive than the 250 Ohm Beyers.

https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/96eeada29d21f735/index.html
Thank you for the response, but i'm not looking into gaming headsets, i want to try something new so i'll probably go with theA AD900X
I own the AD700 and AD900X. I would agree that the AD900X are slightly more "well rounded" as they have slightly more bass than the 700's. Although, I still prefered using the AD700's. I haven't heard the DT 990's but have owned the MMX300, which are based off the DT 770s, and those were the most fun, immersive headphones I've ever owned.
Thank you for the response, i'm leaning towards the AD900X, but i still have time till March

Feb 17, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #43,992 of 48,561
Hello there!

Anyhow, Thanks!

I can talk from DT 990 250 ohm perspective (but Edition, not Pro) and i love these cans. They are the best purchase i ever did. Not my TV, no even game console but those headphones. They sound amazing when listening to music and they sound really great when gaming. I have them paired with XiFi Titanium HD soundcard and it is able to drive them so well that i listen at 40 volume or else my ears will bleed.

The DT 990 EDITION (can;t talk about pro) are so comfortable that after 10 years of usage about 12 hours a day i do not even feel that i have them on. no if i do not have them on i feel like something is missing and they have become part of my head. Also worth noting is that they are behaving extremely well during summer and high temperatures. Even if You are sweating they are still comfortable and never too hot.

I am now testing them against Audeze Mobius in games and sometimes i even prefer my old DT 990, they sound really great and personally i would give them a go.

I also tested them with Apex and they are really good, i was able to hear someones footsteps pretty clearly which saved me couple of times.

Yes i am biased :D

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #43,993 of 48,561
Thank you for the response, but i'm not looking into gaming headsets, i want to try something new so i'll probably go with theA AD900X
No worries, your prerogative of course. . . but you do realise the AD900X and the ADG1X are near enough the same headphones, right? The only substantial difference is that one has a mic and more of the bass you want (ADG1X) while the other does not (AD900X).
FWIW, it’s not a powered gaming headset or anything like that. There’s no DSP dac/amp dongle, they’re simply 3.5mm jack stereo headphones with an in-line mic. The drivers are an iteration of the AD900X design according to Audio Technica themselves and the comparative spec sheets are virtually identical. Frequency response range, driver size etc. are the same.

I can’t comment much on the Beyers, but having had experience of both the AD900X and the ADG1X, I can safely say that the ADG1X is closer to meeting your stated sonic requirements than the AD900X.
Unless it’s specifically the mic inclusion or a local pricing differential that deters you, it would be worth at least looking into them rather than writing them off due to the gaming branding.

Feb 17, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #43,994 of 48,561
The 6XX arrived, and holy smokes, I forgot just how damn good the 650 was/is. It might be slightly driver variance or bad memory, but these sound even clearer than the 650 I reviewed back in the day. And even now, I'd say people would be CRAZY to NOT go for the 6XX in the $200 range.

I think the 6XX/650 is one of those headphones anyone even remotely invested in audiophilia needs to get at least once before moving on to more expensive stuff. You may find that it's all you can ask for and more. I think these would be my #1 recommendation in the price bracket. More than the 880/990/K702/etc.

Back in the day it was in a tier above in price. NOW? Come on. These are a steal.

I know I'm someone who can't live with just one headphone, but man, if I had to, it'd be these. Koss clip ons aside.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #43,995 of 48,561
I have a quick question regarding usage of Audeze Mobius in certain games. For example in RE2 in Audio Options we can pick either Headphones, Dolby Atmos or 7.1/5.1 surround. Does it matter which option we pick and if yes, which one should we go for with gaming headphones such as Mobius? They are emulating the 7.1 3D surround, but at the same time they are headphones hmm...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back