Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 23, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #43,727 of 48,561
IMO I found the G6 amp adequate, but not ideal. After comparing it to the Asgard 3, I discovered that the bass response is somehow nerfed, and that dynamics at lower levels could use a little work. I just patched up to the new firmware, so I can do some retesting.

EDIT: After testing the G6 amp again, the output from the amp is doing a heck of a lot better, and it's a lot harder to hear a difference. And the amp drives the headphones louder. So I can say the G6 with 1.16 firmware is quite acceptable. :) Heck, I think my Asgard 3 is kinda redundant..

EDIT2: After more listening, I find the Asgard 3 still better, especially with impact, and a slightly harder hitting and fuller bass. Tho the differences is now a subtle thing, rather than obvious.

Thank you for the info ! :)

Jan 23, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #43,728 of 48,561
Added something for people that back me.

Anyways, I'm currently working on a new review. Just a heads up.

Bloodstained has an excellent soundtrack. Really works well with headphones.

Jan 23, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #43,729 of 48,561
Got my HD800s for my summit fi open back gaming needs. Now I’m looking for a closed back equivalent. Want something with great imaging and good (for a closed back) soundstage. I want something comfortable and non fatiguing, more for a great immersive experience. Warm, impactful and detailed but not too sharp, harsh or bright in the treble.

Z1R (leaning heavily towards these)
Ether C Flow/CX

or something similar.

Jan 23, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #43,730 of 48,561
Got my HD800s for my summit fi open back gaming needs. Now I’m looking for a closed back equivalent. Want something with great imaging and good (for a closed back) soundstage. I want something comfortable and non fatiguing, more for a great immersive experience. Warm, impactful and detailed but not too sharp, harsh or bright in the treble.

Ether C Flow/CX

or something similar.
throw the Klipsch HD-3 at you for consideration

Jan 23, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #43,731 of 48,561
throw the Klipsch HD-3 at you for consideration
Appreciate the recommendation, but I am looking for a closed back. That can is semi open.

Jan 24, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #43,732 of 48,561
So I have had the Sound Blaster G6 for a few weeks and I use it for my PS4 as a replacement for the Astro mix amp and I have to say it was money well spent! Thank you all who suggested it for me. Im currently using with SHP9500s, DTT770s, and my newly purchased Fidelio X2hr headphones.

While a bit confusing at first to operate, one you figure it out, it's really easy to use. I personally find the surround sound superior to the Astro mix amp with no hiss. I do fun gaming with no mic.

Jan 24, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #43,733 of 48,561

Ether C Flow/CX

or something similar.

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Ether C Flow 1.1. Huge soundstage, excellent imaging, nice dynamics. I know that the Z1R likely has more quantity of bass, but the ECF is no slouch.

I use the X7 with the Sparkos op-amps and a Jotunheim as the amp. Probably overkill for gaming, but it sounds so damn good.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #43,735 of 48,561
If the Ether C Flow is anything like the one I reviewed, then yes. That would be the closed back I'd aim for. I think at this point in time, it's still the best headphone I've ever heard.

Jan 25, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #43,736 of 48,561
I replaced my G6 with a Monolith THX 788. It was mainly because I wanted to run my headphones in balanced mode and I wanted something more versatile for all audio listening.

From a gaming perspective, the THX 788 does just fine. With the DIRAC enabled, imaging is smoothed. For example, in Shadow if the Tomb Raider, if you rotate the camera around Lara, the directional sound of a waterfall in front of her is a lot more natural with DIRAC. Without DIRAC, the waterfall is more of an on/off sound as you rotate the camera.

Is it better than the G6 for positional? Probably not but it’s better at other things, so to me, it’s good enough for gaming that I won’t switch back.

I play competitive Overwatch and it hasn’t affected me for better or worse. It drives my headphones with more headroom and dynamics that it’s worth whatever trades offs are happening vs. the G6. I try not to split hairs when it comes to gaming audio.

Jan 25, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #43,738 of 48,561
Overwatch has built in Dolby Atmos, which you should def use.
I do. With that game and with Dolby enabled in game, DIRAC doesn’t seem to make much of a difference to me.

Jan 25, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #43,739 of 48,561
From a gaming perspective, the THX 788 does just fine. With the DIRAC enabled, imaging is smoothed. For example, in Shadow if the Tomb Raider, if you rotate the camera around Lara, the directional sound of a waterfall in front of her is a lot more natural with DIRAC. Without DIRAC, the waterfall is more of an on/off sound as you rotate the camera.

Is it better than the G6 for positional? Probably not but it’s better at other things, so to me, it’s good enough for gaming that I won’t switch back.

Let's clear a confusion (for the reader) again:

DIRAC SENSAROUND II can NOT be better than G6, in fact it can NOT even be as accurate as G6.

G6 can take in discrete 7.1 multichannel input. That contains positional audio information from 7 directions.

DIRAC SENSAURAND II inside Monolith THX only takes in 2-channel stereo sound.

No amount of trickery can somehow recreate 7-channels of diretional sound from that.

It may sound "nice" and "enveloping" and "smooth" but for positinal 3D accuracy it is worse.

As Per Monolith THX amp manual:

"multichannel audio signals.... are not supported".

THis is a common misunderstanding in 3D gaming positional audio algos.

Stereo INPUT cannot re-create multichannel sound positional cues.

Only multichannel input can.

Jan 25, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #43,740 of 48,561
Let's clear a confusion (for the reader) again:

DIRAC SENSAROUND II can NOT be better than G6, in fact it can NOT even be as accurate as G6.

G6 can take in discrete 7.1 multichannel input. That contains positional audio information from 7 directions.

DIRAC SENSAURAND II inside Monolith THX only takes in 2-channel stereo sound.

No amount of trickery can somehow recreate 7-channels of diretional sound from that.

It may sound "nice" and "enveloping" and "smooth" but for positinal 3D accuracy it is worse.

As Per Monolith THX amp manual:

"multichannel audio signals.... are not supported".

THis is a common misunderstanding in 3D gaming positional audio algos.

Stereo INPUT cannot re-create multichannel sound positional cues.

Only multichannel input can.

Thanks, hopefully I wasn’t implying that. I was just saying it’s fine for my needs. To me, it’s just not that big a deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back