Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 26, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #43,336 of 48,561
Guys, I'm a owner of a Creative X-FI Titanium HD and just bought a Sennheiser GSX 1000.
I've received it today, but the knob isn't working, it doesn't increase or decrease the volume. Does anyone seen this problem before?
Beside that, it sounds like crap. The sound is muffled and messy, the shots on Call of Duty Modern Warfare are terrible when compared to my X-FI Titanium HD.
I read the manual, selected GSX Main Audio as default and GSX Communication as communication default. I've also set the GSX Main Audio as 7.1 surround and selected all speakers, just like the manual explains.
If I'm gaming on 7.1, as I said, the sound is muffled and messy, but when I set to 2.0, the sound is OK.
My Titanium HD is 5.1 and the sound is just perfect, far superior the gsx 1000. I've only tested with Call of Duty Modern Warfare, but tonight I'll test with other games, just in case.
Do you think it's a problem with my gsx 1000 or the titanium hd is really much better? Thanks!

Return the GSX1000 and buy an external headphone amplifier and connect it to the Ti-HD's (Titanium-HD) line-output (RCA) jacks.
Plug headphones into external head amp.

Nov 26, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #43,337 of 48,561
I have a slightly convoluted but potentially viable alternative that could save you a bit of money and the hassle of selling your G6 and getting another X7, while also giving you a further surround option and backup dac/amp.

Pair your G6 with a Steelseries Gamedac, using the G6 as a pre-dac to apply SBX features and the Steelseries as the output dac/amp. The Gamedac is not as powerful as the G6 but it’s much more versatile for on-the-fly adjustments and is a fine little unit in its own right that would give you most of the in-line flexibility you desire.

You’d still be stuck with whatever level of SBX surround intensity configured through the PC Soundblaster app but the Gamedac would allow for game/chat mix, in-line EQ adjustments (presets AND individually adjustable 10 band equaliser), bass boost toggle (IIRC, don’t have it to hand at the moment) and also DTS headphone X v2 to try out as an alternative VSS solution in case you haven’t already tried it. I find SBX to be better for overall fidelity but DTS to beat it for projection of depth. For single player and co-op, I tend to try a game in DTS first and switch to SBX instead if there is too much of a compromise to fidelity. If it’s competitive, I’ll stick with SBX.
Just to clarify, by “in-line”, I mean at the hardware user interface level, via the controls and display on the unit itself, no messing about with Bluetooth mobile apps.

This “SBX but with game/chat and in-line EQ” path would look like this:

PS Pro > Gamedac via USB for chat function.

PS Pro > G6 via optical (G6 to be powered by external USB, not PS Pro)

SBX > Gamedac via G6’s optical out

The below link has some embedded animated graphics that give a good idea of the in-line features and UI:

https://steelseries.com/gaming-accessories/gamedac

Thanks for suggestion - will give that consideration. In the UK at the moment the GameDac is £130, I can get the X7 for £195 so not a huge difference (especially if I can sell the G6 I guess). Will have a think!

Nov 26, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #43,338 of 48,561
Nov 27, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #43,339 of 48,561
Guys, I'm a owner of a Creative X-FI Titanium HD and just bought a Sennheiser GSX 1000.

I've received it today, but the knob isn't working, it doesn't increase or decrease the volume. Does anyone seen this problem before?

Beside that, it sounds like crap. The sound is muffled and messy, the shots on Call of Duty Modern Warfare are terrible when compared to my X-FI Titanium HD.

Make sure the headphone cable is plugged in all the way. Use a headphone extension cable if you just can't get it fully in.

Nov 28, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #43,340 of 48,561
So happy I found my PortaPro wireless, behind some papers in my glove compartment. YAAAAS

Nov 28, 2019 at 2:49 AM Post #43,341 of 48,561
I received my first AKG K702 today, only for the purpose of competitive FPS gaming.I play on an MSI GT62VR laptop with on-board Realtek HD chip; no external soundcard or AMP/DAC stack, yet. I plugged my AKG K702 directly into the headphone jack of my onboard audio chip and it got way too loud at 65% Windows volume.

1. Do you believe I still need to get an amp/dac for other sound improvements? Like improving separation, detail retrieval, and sound-stage? Is it worth it?

2. As of now I have no virtual surround sound solution to downmix into my K702 and play in surround sound settings. Do you recommend a software that can do that? (Razer Surround stopped selling licenses to non-owners)

Nov 28, 2019 at 5:19 AM Post #43,343 of 48,561
Guys this is gonna sound really dumb but how do I use the G6 or even the GSX 1000 as a DAC only with surround sound software and connect it to an external amp? I have a THX 789 and plan on using it with mainly a JDS Labs atom for my UNI setup.
Connect the G6 to PC, set 7.1 channel config and “apply headphone virtualisation to line-out”, turn on SBX surround and any other required features. Connect the lineout to the amp. That’s it.

Not sure about the GSX1000 as dunno if the line-out is passthrough only or whether GSX can be applied to it.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #43,344 of 48,561
Connect the G6 to PC, set 7.1 channel config and “apply headphone virtualisation to line-out”, turn on SBX surround and any other required features. Connect the lineout to the amp. That’s it.

Not sure about the GSX1000, as dunno if the line-out is passthrough only or whether GSX can be applied to it.
So I need to have a line out cable to 2 Male RCA cable right? The PC then sends the signal to the G6 the line out sends the signal to the Amp.

Edit= Any good cable brands to get it from?

Nov 28, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #43,345 of 48,561
I received my first AKG K702 today, only for the purpose of competitive FPS gaming.I play on an MSI GT62VR laptop with on-board Realtek HD chip; no external soundcard or AMP/DAC stack, yet. I plugged my AKG K702 directly into the headphone jack of my onboard audio chip and it got way too loud at 65% Windows volume.

1. Do you believe I still need to get an amp/dac for other sound improvements? Like improving separation, detail retrieval, and sound-stage? Is it worth it?

2. As of now I have no virtual surround sound solution to downmix into my K702 and play in surround sound settings. Do you recommend a software that can do that? (Razer Surround stopped selling licenses to non-owners)
You’d be best off getting a G6 or something like that or you will be limited to virtual surround pre-programmed into the game by its devs and not all games have that while software-only solutions applied to stereo-only onboard sound chips are meh.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #43,346 of 48,561
So I need to have a line out cable to 2 Male RCA cable right? The PC then sends the signal to the G6 the line out sends the signal to the Amp.

Edit= Any good cable brands to get it from?
PC to G6 via usb, standard 3.5mm lineout to RCA split going to the amp. Wouldn’t worry about cable brands at short distances, anything with half-decent shielding will do. I wouldn’t pay more than 20 bucks for it.

Nov 28, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #43,348 of 48,561

Something is wrong if the volume control is not working. Can't debug from here, hard to say what it is.

As for sounding muffled, my GSX1200 did not sound muffled compared to SoundBlaster X7, when using the following settings:

upload_2019-11-28_12-31-41.png

That is:
- Audio : 7.1 (has to be enabled also in Windows Sounds Control Panel)
- Equalizer: Movie (story) or eSport if you find the Movie not to your liking
- Headset: no sidetone
- Environment: No "plus" signs
- Sound Focus: NO "arrows" (i.e. no front or back speaker increase)

What headphones are you using?

What is your Windows Volume set to?

Nov 28, 2019 at 5:49 AM Post #43,349 of 48,561
Something is wrong if the volume control is not working. Can't debug from here, hard to say what it is.

As for sounding muffled, my GSX1200 did not sound muffled compared to SoundBlaster X7, when using the following settings:

That is:
- Audio : 7.1 (has to be enabled also in Windows Sounds Control Panel)
- Equalizer: Movie (story) or eSport if you find the Movie not to your liking
- Headset: no sidetone
- Environment: No "plus" signs
- Sound Focus: NO "arrows" (i.e. no front or back speaker increase)

What headphones are you using?

What is your Windows Volume set to?
His sig mentions HD598.

Re GSX surround, I don’t have extensive experience with GSX1000 beyond limited testing of a friend’s. I own devices for SBX, SXFI, Waves NX, Atmos for headphone, DTS X, pretty much all the usual suspects. How would you say GSX compares in terms of projecting depth (center channel etc.) and the effect of virtualisation on fidelity?

Nov 28, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #43,350 of 48,561
You’d be best off getting a G6 or something like that or you will be limited to virtual surround pre-programmed into the game by its devs and not all games have that while software-only solutions applied to stereo-only onboard sound chips are meh.
All the games that i play regularly are designed to output surround sound so that's not an issue. Any thoughts?

Do you believe I still need to get an amp/dac for other sound improvements? Like improving separation, detail retrieval, and sound-stage? Is it worth it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back