Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 12, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #43,247 of 48,561
Well, you can use the HEL as an amp only, and just take the signal from a VSS enabled dac like a Creative G6.

As for wanting the HEL as a dac with VSS capability, there's only a few instances:

1. PC use with Dolby Atmos (which I don't think works all that well)
2. PC with software programs like Darrin Fong's OOYH head software, Waves NX, all which cost quite a bit of money.
3. The grey area route of using HeSuVi which has all types of VSS though may not sound identical to the real versions, but close enough. This is probably the most reliable way of getting VSS, but since it's giving you licensed VSS that you normally pay for, I don't like to advertise this one, personally. There's a ton to setup and get to work properly as well.

I bit the bullet and just bought DTS-X for $20. We'll see how it stacks up on PC.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #43,248 of 48,561
One thing I absolutely hate about Atmos and DTS-Headphone X when you set them on windows, is that they default your dac to 16bit/48khz. I mean, I get it, because it's taking multi-channel audio of that rate to get it to work, but I wish it was like the Xonar U3, where it still keeps the basic stereo format at 24/96 that I set it to. So when I don't wanna use Atmos or DTS-HX, I have to go to the sound control panelk and set everything back to 24/96khz etc. It's annoying.

Nov 12, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #43,249 of 48,561
Well, you can use the HEL as an amp only, and just take the signal from a VSS enabled dac like a Creative G6.

As for wanting the HEL as a dac with VSS capability, there's only a few instances:

1. PC use with Dolby Atmos (which I don't think works all that well)
2. PC with software programs like Darrin Fong's OOYH head software, Waves NX, all which cost quite a bit of money.
3. The grey area
One thing I absolutely hate about Atmos and DTS-Headphone X when you set them on windows, is that they default your dac to 16bit/48khz. I mean, I get it, because it's taking multi-channel audio of that rate to get it to work, but I wish it was like the Xonar U3, where it still keeps the basic stereo format at 24/96 that I set it to. So when I don't wanna use Atmos or DTS-HX, I have to go to the sound control panelk and set everything back to 24/96khz etc. It's annoying.
If your music software outputs using wasapi then sample rate set in windows doesn't matter, it's going to be set to file's sample rate anyway.

As for software vss, there's Razer Surround. Probably still sounds like crap but hey, it's free

Nov 12, 2019 at 6:38 AM Post #43,251 of 48,561
I use Winamp which for some reason, the Wasapi plug in doesn't work quite right, so I don't use that.

are these software's even paid ones as good as sbx for example?

Atmos or DTS-X...no.

OOYH, there's some that are good.

HeSuVi, yes. It has presets like SBX.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #43,253 of 48,561
So after comparing Atmos to DTS Headphone X briefly, I definitely find Atmos to be MUCH better. DTS Headphone X lacks any real REAR depth. Atmos does better in this regard. Also, it seems that the Dolby app has finally allowed for some customization, where it may be that turn off gaming mode, has allowed the vss to sound more like expected, which is good. I'll need more testing.

dolbyaccesscrud.jpg

I think Performance mode may have been shrinking the room size.

The DTS app also has somewhat a similar setting, in that you can choose balanced or spacious. Spacious is more ideal.

Nov 12, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #43,254 of 48,561
My main issue with atmos for headphone was how the room simulation was either absent or the room was pretty dead, leading to everything sounding really close to the head. I think this makes it more accessible to people who typically can't stand the subjective quality of vss, but compromises the spatial quality. I was looking forward to the dts app since it had a spacious setting and headphone equalization built in, but it is pretty disappointing if it can't do convincing rear sounds.

Nov 12, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #43,255 of 48,561
So after comparing Atmos to DTS Headphone X briefly, I definitely find Atmos to be MUCH better. DTS Headphone X lacks any real REAR depth. Atmos does better in this regard. Also, it seems that the Dolby app has finally allowed for some customization, where it may be that turn off gaming mode, has allowed the vss to sound more like expected, which is good. I'll need more testing.

The DTS app also has somewhat a similar setting, in that you can choose balanced or spacious. Spacious is more ideal.

Feel like sharing your custom 1 settings lol

Nov 12, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #43,256 of 48,561

I'm guessing atmos with performance mode off is still worse than SXFI or SBX?

Nov 13, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #43,257 of 48,561
My main issue with atmos for headphone was how the room simulation was either absent or the room was pretty dead, leading to everything sounding really close to the head. I think this makes it more accessible to people who typically can't stand the subjective quality of vss, but compromises the spatial quality. I was looking forward to the dts app since it had a spacious setting and headphone equalization built in, but it is pretty disappointing if it can't do convincing rear sounds.
Oh that's exactly my problem with it, which is why it's only last resort, and not something I'd pick if I have SXFI, SBX, GSX, or Dolby Headphone available to me.

It's still better than DTS-X, and still much better than not using VSS.

Nov 14, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #43,259 of 48,561
I bought the SXFI Air C from creative since its on sale for $80. Quick 1 hour impression is that it sounds sort of echoey? Especially with voices. At first it was kind of funny but after running around Mars in Destiny 2 I really got a much wider sense of space and dynamic range (by dynamic range Im talking about how close stuff sounds really loud and far away stuff sounds really quiet). Compared to my hd 6xx/hd 650 with Dolby Atmos for headphones, the stage is a lot bigger but it sounds sort of tinny and the highs are a bit fatiguing. Explosions and bass sounds are awesome. Mic is good quality and the boom is smooth and moves around nicely. I like the cloth earcups, after getting used to velour on the 6xx I hate leather. Headband could use more padding, otherwise its comfortable and light. Taking the pictures on the app is annoying as hell when youre doing it on your own. Gonna ask a friend to do it to see if that changes the sound.

Does anyone have good EQ settings for SXFI to tame the highs and fix the mids and make it sound a bit less echoey? Or is this just the effect that VSS does?

Im considering trying the SoundBlaster X3 with my Hd 569/Hd 6xx, and Id like to use the amp on the Schiit vali 2 instead of the built in amp. There is line out on the back but it looks like its for speakers? Can I plug the line out into the "Front" section on the x3 and then into the vali 2, and use the DAC/VSS on the x3?

4XUvEqvKNrJOdaWE.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #43,260 of 48,561
I bought the SXFI Air C from creative since its on sale for $80. Quick 1 hour impression is that it sounds sort of echoey? Especially with voices. At first it was kind of funny but after running around Mars in Destiny 2 I really got a much wider sense of space and dynamic range (my dynamic range Im talking about how close stuff sounds really loud and far away stuff sounds really quiet). Compared to my hd 6xx/hd 650 with Dolby Atmos for headphones, the stage is a lot bigger but it sounds sort of tinny and the highs are a bit fatiguing. Explosions and bass sounds are awesome. Mic is good quality and the boom is smooth and moves around nicely. I like the cloth earcups, after getting used to velour on the 6xx I hate leather. Headband could use more padding, otherwise its comfortable and light. Taking the pictures on the app is annoying as hell when youre doing it on your own. Gonna ask a friend to do it to see if that changes the sound.

Does anyone have good EQ settings for SXFI to tame the highs and fix the mids and make it sound a bit less echoey? Or is this just the effect that VSS does?

Im considering trying the SoundBlaster X3 with my Hd 569/Hd 6xx, and Id like to use the amp on the Schiit vali 2 instead of the built in amp. There is line out on the back but it looks like its for speakers? Can I plug the line out into the "Front" section on the x3 and then into the vali 2, and use the DAC/VSS on the x3?

4XUvEqvKNrJOdaWE.jpg

The echo (reverb) is how it sounds. It's a lot better than when it initially came out, it was too reverby. They've tamed it somewhat.

I'll let others chime in on EQ but I don't believe you will really tame the reverb with the EQ as that's sort of inherent in their VSS solution.

My understanding is the front lineout does NOT pass the SXFI signal. It is only a PCM stereo signal for two fronts.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back