Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 6, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #43,186 of 48,562
It's important to understand that just because a DAC has VSS enabled, doesn't mean that their optical out is sending that VSS. Something like the Mixamp 5.8. If you turn on VSS, the DAC won't send that. Why? Because the optical out in this device is passthrough only. Meaning it's sending the same signal it received. Nothing the DAC did to alter it to turn it into VSS affects this.

The G6 and Xonar U3's optical out isn't passthrough. The signal they send out is affected by the DAC unless you enabled line out mode, where it won't touch the signal.

Ngl i read it 3 times and now i understand it haha! :) It's nice to know that most devices are passthrough only. For me it shouldn't be a problem as i looking for a non gaming dac (like topping) which gets feeded by optical input / VSS signal (PC software like atmos). My guess is, that it should work aswell, if the game supports a virtual sound like overwatch for example?

Nov 6, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #43,187 of 48,562
Ngl i read it 3 times and now i understand it haha! :) It's nice to know that most devices are passthrough only. For me it shouldn't be a problem as i looking for a non gaming dac (like topping) which gets feeded by optical input / VSS signal (PC software like atmos). My guess is, that it should work aswell, if the game supports a virtual sound like overwatch for example?

For your situation, then yes, Atmos will transfer over as that is directly added by the source.

Though tbh, I still feel Atmos doesn't work quite right. I dunno.

I'm sitting here waiting on the day they'll allow us to tweak Atmos with a program. Room size being one that needs to exist.

Nov 6, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #43,188 of 48,562
For your situation, then yes, Atmos will transfer over as that is directly added by the source.

I'm sitting here waiting on the day they'll allow us to tweak Atmos with a program. Room size being one that needs to exist.

Can you recommand another software which works better?

Nov 6, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #43,190 of 48,562
I asked for a40 because if MLE were to rereview the a50 he might as well also do the a40. But personally I'd only be interested in the a50 for the wireless convenience. Haven't used the Arctis and I don't see a reason to since i don't own an Xbox but I did try the sony headset and it's a giant ball of suck
Well you said console and were talking about hacks and workarounds so I assumed you were referring to the Xbox USB / mic vs PS4 issue. OK, so if Xbox isn’t a concern for you and you don’t like the Sony’s then what about the regular Arctis Pro wireless? Or you don’t like them either?
Whatever the case, it’s doubtful that ASTRO will have changed the A50 to any really significant extent since MLE reviewed it. My brother’s pair which is the latest model donKt sound much different from his previous model that he got about 5 years ago.

Darin Fong's Out Of Your Head is pretty great
Adds at least 30ms of audio delay, upto 60 for some of he larger “rooms”. Or at least that was the case as recently as 2 years ago. Not ideal for gaming.

Can you recommand another software which works better?
Whether it’s better will be down to your own personal preference but Boom 3D is pretty good has a 30 day free trial and for a lifetime licence costs about the same as Atmos for headphone or DTS headphone X. Personally I have no problem with Atmos for headphone’s implementation though, whether it be room size or whatever else. When it first debuted, it was terrible but since then it has received several major updates and is now at least as good as Dolby headphone IMO.

Purely in terms of VSS, would you say that your Atmos reservations are the same whether you use your multichannel capable internal sound card or G6 or stereo only Schiit equipment?
As you already know, engaging Atmos sets the channel config to stereo in the Windows sound manager but I wonder if, for standard non-atmos multichannel PCM content, the source device needs to be at least *capable* of multichannel (even though Atmos will set the channel config to stereo). . . ?Atmos does seem less convincing on my stereo dac-only laptop in comparison to applying to the G6 or my desktop’s multichannel sound card.

[merged]

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 6, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #43,192 of 48,562
30ms of delay is less than 2 frames. That's nearly imperceptible...

I played with it and didn't have any issues.

That's 2 out of 60 in a second.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #43,193 of 48,562
30ms of delay is less than 2 frames. That's nearly imperceptible...

I played with it and didn't have any issues.

That's 2 out of 60 in a second.
It was perceptible to me, especially when panning the camera across / around a source cue and that was with the gamer preset, the ‘quickest’ of the room profiles. Some are upto 60ms.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #43,194 of 48,562
Well you said console and were talking about hacks and workarounds so I assumed you were referring to the Xbox USB / mic vs PS4 issue. OK, so if Xbox isn’t a concern for you and you don’t like the Sony’s then what about the regular Arctis Pro wireless? Or you don’t like them either?
Whatever the case, it’s doubtful that ASTRO will have changed the A50 to any really significant extent since MLE reviewed it. My brother’s pair which is the latest model donKt sound much different from his previous model that he got about 5 years ago.

Haven't tried the Arctis pro. Dunno maybe it actually sounds good. Considering how small the wireless, console-compatible vss headset market is it may be a pretty compelling option.

Nov 6, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #43,195 of 48,562
Haven't tried the Arctis pro. Dunno maybe it actually sounds good. Considering how small the wireless, console-compatible vss headset market is it may be a pretty compelling option.
It seems to be the most critically lauded of the multi-format gaming dac/amp + wireless headset combos of late. It could of course just be down to advertising affiliations and what not but go back five years or so and it was always the A50 that topped tech publications’ ‘best wireless gaming headsets’ lists but these days it’s almost always the Arctis Pro.
You would be looking at DTS headphone X processing with the Arctis instead of Dolby Headphone though so not sure if that’s a dealbreaker for you.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #43,197 of 48,562
Purely in terms of VSS, would you say that your Atmos reservations are the same whether you use your multichannel capable internal sound card or G6 or stereo only Schiit equipment?
As you already know, engaging Atmos sets the channel config to stereo in the Windows sound manager but I wonder if, for standard non-atmos multichannel PCM content, the source device needs to be at least *capable* of multichannel (even though Atmos will set the channel config to stereo). . . ?Atmos does seem less convincing on my stereo dac-only laptop in comparison to applying to the G6 or my desktop’s multichannel sound card.

[merged]

I have a question about this as well. Ive been trying Atmos for headphones software trial on my windows PC with my HD 650s and I cannot tell the difference at all, in Destiny 2. I'm thinking of buying a G6 or Soundblast X3. I currently use a fulla 2 as my dac, and vali 2 as my amp. Also the SXFI Air C is on sale for $80 on creative's website, so might try that.

Nov 6, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #43,198 of 48,562
In terms of earpads, usually thicker or thinner are better for soundstage and imaging/positioning? Same question for velour vs micro suede.
Depends on the headphone and the the kind of pads in question. If you are set on the K702 or or K712 then don’t get Brainwavz microsuede. I got them for my AKG K7XX and while they felt great, they sounded absolutely dreadful, completely wrecked the sound. I then got Dekoni Elite velours and a Elite hybrids and they did exactly what I wanted, added a touch more space/thickness so my ear no longer touched the drivers. The velours sounded more or less like the stock pads while the hybrids added a little smoothness to the highs and some more presence to the bass. As far as the AKG K7- series goes, I’d stay away from Brainwavz.

Nov 7, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #43,199 of 48,562
Hey guys,

Long time lurker here.
I'm currently playing on console (PS4 Pro) until next month. My plan is to switch to PC.

This is my setup for console at the moment:
- SoundBlaster G6
- Audio Technica ATH-AD700 / AKG K702

So what what would be "the best" setup in terms of positional audio on PC?
Should I stick with the G6 (SBX)?
Should I get a Creative Super X-Fi or X3?
Or should I just get a good amp + Dolby Access for Windows?

Sorry for the many questions, but I have so many options now on PC compared to PS4.

Thanks in advance

Nov 7, 2019 at 3:09 AM Post #43,200 of 48,562
Hey guys,

Long time lurker here.
I'm currently playing on console (PS4 Pro) until next month. My plan is to switch to PC.

This is my setup for console at the moment:
- SoundBlaster G6
- Audio Technica ATH-AD700 / AKG K702

So what what would be "the best" setup in terms of positional audio on PC?
Should I stick with the G6 (SBX)?
Should I get a Creative Super X-Fi or X3?
Or should I just get a good amp + Dolby Access for Windows?

Sorry for the many questions, but I have so many options now on PC compared to PS4.

Thanks in advance

The G6 is honestly fine but if you don't mind making a luxurious additional purchase of a Super X-Fi device, its 7.1 VSS is better. Front and rear cues are more pronounced than SBX, and to me it is not just a tiny difference, it is very noticeable. I'm pretty sure either one or both of your headphones are on the list of pre-calibrated cans.

The G6 and then turn it off with Atmos (when supported) is a fine combo though. The small upgrade from SBX to SX-Fi depends on your internal FOMO vs. bank account comfort-levels really.

Dolby Atmos does work well with some games specifically designed for it. When it does work the height channels are pretty cool and worth it in my opinion. Better than Super X-Fi for that reason. Borderlands 3, Overwatch, and Modern Warfare are the only 3 I have tried it with. Not a lot of games have Atmos support though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back